ADVERTISEMENT

No CBI, No NIT, No Post-Season Tourney

We shouldn’t EVER play in one of the other alphabet tournaments
That's not necessarily true... There are years where you have bunch of young guys where paying the $27k and getting in a couple extra games matters (especially if you get a home game to recoup the cost of entry).

Those tournaments are for teams with a bunch of first-year guys, or teams who haven't even smelled the postseason in a while.

As a side note, if Spears said what Swann's tweet indicates - He's either delusional or trying to save face. After losing to ODU and Texas State, there was less than zero chance we were getting into the NCAA or NIT as an at-large.

He's either delusional or trying to save face.
He is trying to fool the gullible.

The lie upon which this whole program is built is that they are trying. So he says stuff like "our goal is the NCAA or at least the NIT" and this crowds falls for it. Next winter, the same weak assed non-conference schedule, the same vomit SBC. It would be truly total failure to not win at least 20 to 22 games, every year, against this twin set of cupcakes. Everyone, which is to say the handful that still buy the DD snake oil, gets all excited, and then that is that. CS cashes the checks and laughs all the way to the bank. Heck, half of the teams in this 100% about football league don't even try, nor could they do a lot if they did. We should, and could, dominate this league.

The fact is that they are not trying.

This is a token effort.

That's not necessarily true... There are years where you have bunch of young guys where paying the $27k and getting in a couple extra games matters (especially if you get a home game to recoup the cost of entry).

Those tournaments are for teams with a bunch of first-year guys, or teams who haven't even smelled the postseason in a while.

As a side note, if Spears said what Swann's tweet indicates - He's either delusional or trying to save face. After losing to ODU and Texas State, there was less than zero chance we were getting into the NCAA or NIT as an at-large.
Agree. I think we should have taken a slot this year for Kinsey though. We probably stood a decent shot at winning one of the tourneys this year (CBI etc).

That's not what he's saying. He's saying at Marshall our goal is NCAA or NIT. That's the bar. No more pay pr play tournaments and being happy with mediocrity.

The "playing younger guys for development" argument isn't a good one. We've played in a couple of these and it didn't do anything for the following season. Playing a bunch of nobodies in a 3rd and 4th rate tournament isn't doing anything for your program. You only get better when you play against better competition.

Dan is like that dude that goes to the gym and never picks up anything heavier than 20lbs and then wonders why he never gets any stronger. He wears all the gear and struts around like he's Arnold, but he looks the same as he did three years ago.

Much like our OoC. We looked the same in game 32 as we did in game 1.

Last edited:

I think Spears wants the program to improve to a level of being an NCAA/NIT type program. It does seem that in the past our AD's were all in on football and cared very little about B'ball. I'll give Spears some credit for trying to elevate the program. The issue is, he is allowing DD to stay for another year it appears. Knowing that, it seems he is not backing up his comments. But, I think the man is in a tricky spot. He's got to handle the situation carefully. I do think he'll make a move after next season. I just don't see us being good enough to win 20 plus games. That may be a goal that DD needs to hit. I also think Spears will intervene more on the scheduling front as well.
Maybe I am naïve on this but I do think CS has a future coach or coaches in mind, he's just waiting for the right time to pull the trigger. It doesn't help that Brad Smith supposedly likes DD and the Dantoni family has such firmly planted roots within the school.

I get saying we are an Ncaa or Nit program for propaganda purposes. But history says we are not and his actions say we are not. But hey, some people will believe it.

Now with that being said. Funding at MU is hard to come bye. Spears is in a tough situation. You do not want to run off a Dantoni.

I get saying we are an Ncaa or Nit program for propaganda purposes. But history says we are not and his actions say we are not. But hey, some people will believe it.

Now with that being said. Funding at MU is hard to come bye. Spears is in a tough situation. You do not want to run off a Dantoni.
He not saying Marshall "IS" that, but he is saying that while he is AD that will be the bar of this program. Either make those tournaments or no post season. That's how it should be. And if Dan doesn't like that bar then he should not be our coach.

I don't understand this notion that we need to embrace being losers because well that's our history.

Reactions: marshallisqbu

Enlighten me/us with why.

He not saying Marshall "IS" that, but he is saying that while he is AD that will be the bar of this program. Either make those tournaments or no post season. That's how it should be. And if Dan doesn't like that bar then he should not be our coach.

I don't understand this notion that we need to embrace being losers because well that's our history.
Never said we should embrace losing . I'm always against losing. I guess maybe I should have explained it better. Saying that is your bar, then retaining a coach that has failed to reach that bar multiple times is at the very least contradictive.

While at the very same time letting said coach schedule the schools of the death and blind to win 20+ games to fool alot of the fan base and take the heat off his back. To me, actions speak louder than words.

Never said we should embrace losing . I'm always against losing. I guess maybe I should have explained it better. Saying that is your bar, then retaining a coach that has failed to reach that bar multiple times is at the very least contradictive.

While at the very same time letting said coach schedule the schools of the death and blind to win 20+ games to fool alot of the fan base and take the heat off his back. To me, actions speak louder than words.
Perhaps, just perhaps Spears is calling qualifying for The Dance or NIT as the floor, and his expectation for next year is getting into one of the two. And maybe that is the conversation he’s had with Dan……

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Perhaps, just perhaps Spears is calling qualifying for The Dance or NIT as the floor, and his expectation for next year is getting into one of the two. And maybe that is the conversation he’s had with Dan……
Perhaps so

No enlightening. Just common sense that you do not want to pi$% off a major donors family by firing a prominent boosters family member.
Oh, I get that. But someone else asked the question on here before and it went answered, What is the major donation? Do you know what it is? Usually when a major donation is made, there's some news on it. Besides Mike being an ambassador raising money with Chad, what is it?

Reactions: Elkview
I think that's exactly what's happening. He's gonna give Dan the chance to put up or shut up. I seriously doubt Spears or Smith will just let Dan ride this one out for years. They'd lose more donors and fans doing that than by firing Dan after next season for not winning 20 games, etc. jmho.
There have to be expectations in place.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Oh, I get that. But someone else asked the question on here before and it went answered, What is the major donation? Do you know what it is? Usually when a major donation is made, there's some news on it. Besides Mike being an ambassador raising money with Chad, what is it?
I've seen it mentioned that the family that donated money for the Gullickson makeover are huge DD fans. Maybe that's a part of it. We'll likely never know.

Ross Skaggs - played @ Logan H.S. and then for the Herd. King Coal money….actually both his & his wife’s family……Baisden Bros.

Last edited:
Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Just assumptions from what I have seen in the donor list and heard. Do you honestly think they do not give a decent amount to the University? Just saying that the Dantoni name is very important in the basketball world(and @MU) and I would imagine that they have some pull. No, I do not have exact information, but just use your head some and maybe it will make sense?

Just assumptions from what I have seen in the donor list and heard. Do you honestly think they do not give a decent amount to the University? Just saying that the Dantoni name is very important in the basketball world(and @MU) and I would imagine that they have some pull. No, I do not have exact information, but just use your head some and maybe it will make sense?
It makes perfect sense, common sense actually. Just asking for information and not assumptions. Names Dantoni so they're making major donations. Got it.

Yea. At some point we can't allow the D'Antonis to hold the program hostage. What good are donations if the program isn't getting any better? So basically they'll only donate if Dan keeps his job so the donations are in effect just the D'Antoni money going to a D'Antoni. We're just a conduit. If they're that petty then they can kick rocks.

Reactions: herd66

Nope it can still never convince me that those pay in tournament amount to anything substantial that next year especially with the transfer portal now

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Yea. At some point we can't allow the D'Antonis to hold the program hostage. What good are donations if the program isn't getting any better? So basically they'll only donate if Dan keeps his job so the donations are in effect just the D'Antoni money going to a D'Antoni. We're just a conduit. If they're that petty then they can kick rocks.

but but but he won ONE game years ago

And I agree with the ones who say that we need a change. I was just stating that it's not as simple as some want it to be. It puts the AD in a hard spot on what decision is best for the university . Who knows....maybe they would completely understand and not hold hard feelings towards MU. But people usually do not operate that way.

It makes perfect sense, common sense actually. Just asking for information and not assumptions. Names Dantoni so they're making major donations. Got it.
Maybe they are helping the university in other ways besides money. Being beneficial to something is not always about money. They could be giving time for fundraising, community or helping the athletes on campus. Im not in the privy to know what they have given or not to MU, but one would assume that they are a major asset to the University. I really wish we would take bball seriously, Sunbelt is there for the taking and we could become a name brand(Witchita st, vcu, st marys) in bball with the right hire and mindset.

If they could ever get a donor to pay for air conditioning in the Cam, they should give him/her/za a parade through downtown Huntington.

• Love
Reactions: MUMAN3419
My question is and if my memory serves me correctly we didn’t hear anything about donations or even returning to campus from Dan prior to him becoming coach……you’d think if he was Mr Marshall as he likes to “say he is” you’d think he would’ve made a few appearances here and there.

And he still rarely shows up to places he’s not “paid” to attend

It seems to me that if the family really wants what's best for Marshall and love the school as they say, they would tell Dan to retire and bow out gracefully, knowing he did his best and we have him a chance to solidify his legacy and theirs

it matters what the attendance says and the donors say....and when I say donors I'm not meaning the D Antoni's. So it sure looks like the only place where a coaching change was seriously discussed was on message boards. Not sure the attendance is presenting challenges and it doesn't seem that donors are either.

Reactions: MUMAN3419
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT