ADVERTISEMENT

Odd Post - Fountain Ceremony Keynote Speaker

HerdBy100

Bronze Buffalo
Gold Member
Mar 21, 2022

For anyone not in the Fbook group see below

Local TV media ignores keynote speaker at Marshall event

Several critical questions must be raised about the local TV media's treatment of me – keynote speaker Craig T. Greenlee at the recent Memorial Fountain Ceremony at Marshall University in West Virginia.

I’m a former Marshall football player and author of November Ever After and Marshall Ever After.

Sad to say that I was not interviewed by any of the three Huntington-area stations – WSAZ, WOWK, and WCHS – for broadcast on the 11 o’clock news the same day that I gave my keynote address.

This oversight is particularly glaring given the audience's response to my speech, where they saw fit to give me a standing ovation, a testament to the impact of the story that I was invited to share.

Why, then, did these local TV media outlets choose to disregard my story, not only by not showing any video footage of my speech, but also by failing to engage with me in interviews? Was the decision to overlook my insights deliberate? And if so, what does it say about the perceived relevance of my message?

Furthermore, my attendance at the ceremony was my first. This fact alone adds a layer of personal and historical significance to my participation. Why did the TV stations not seize the opportunity to ask about my thoughts and emotions on attending my first fountain ceremony?

Such an interview could have offered viewers a deeper, more personal connection to the event and its historical context.

The presentation of my speech, which included the complex interplay of race relations and the 1970 Marshall plane crash, raises yet another point of contention. Could the sensitivity of this subject have influenced the media's decision to minimize my role in their coverage?

This collective media behavior leads to a broader inquiry about the state of journalistic priorities and narrative shaping in our community. It begs the question: What stories and voices are being marginalized, and what does this exclusion reveal about the media's role in shaping public discourse and memory?

As consumers of news, these observations should prompt us to critically assess the narratives we are presented with and to consider the stories that remain untold.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News