ADVERTISEMENT

Old Fairfield Fan Committee

Mike Gwinn

I'd rather be fishing.
Feb 26, 2002
Beckley, WV
Not sure if I'm going to make the fan committee cut but wanted to share the ideas I have that way if someone here does, then maybe they can pass some of this along. Plus I would like to hear others' ideas. Also, this is a tree of trust, so no poo-pooing ideas.

BIG GREEN REBRAND- Ohio State has the Buckeye Club, WVU the Mountaineer Athletic Club, East Carolina has the Pirate Club, Virginia Tech has the Hokie Club and Pitt has the Panther Club. Marshall has the Big Green Athletic Scholarship Foundation. If you're a common fan or even just an interested bystander would you associate the Big Green to Marshall Athletics? You know Marshall and you know the Herd or Thundering Herd but what would Big Green make you think of? Marshall athletics? The BGASF has a perception of being a good old boy network. I don't think that's a fair representation but it exists and a rebrand with the right marketing might provide a clean slate and be perceived as more inclusive.

I did an informal survey of some of my friends who come to games occasionally. I asked if they would rather join a fan club or donate to a scholarship foundation. They agreed a scholarship foundation sounds expensive and sounds like a bunch of old white dudes who like to golf 🤣. When asked about a club, their replies changed to what do I get for being a member. Sure, this is all anecdotal and a small sample size but it doesn't seem that far off.

I propose the Big Green develop the Herd Club or Thundering Herd Club under the umbrella of the BGASF. For all intents and purposes, its just a name change and its marketing focus would change from funding of scholarships to membership growth. The money raised still goes to the Big Green but its focus is to function as a fan club. The BG already has a good benefit package that includes great discounts at local businesses, access to special events and premium parking and seating options. Those are great but we can build upon that.

First thing after rebranding, hire 10 GAs or interns as ambassadors or fanbassadors. Their sole purpose is to provide fan outreach and hospitality. They are front and center at games and Herd Club events. Shaking hands, thanking members, answering questions, marketing to prospective members and acting as a liaison between the fans and the club leadership. They're in the west lot before games handing out souvenirs and taking photos with fans, they're in the Henderson Center during games firing t-shirt cannons, at Soccer games serving drinks at the Herd Club beer tent. They can "takeover" official MU social media on game days. They are the fun face of the club that ensures no one will mistake it for being a stodgy, out-of-touch, rich person's club.

One football game per year needs to be designated as Herd Club Day. That day is all about appreciating the Herd Club members and the businesses that support it. Fanbassadors swamp the West Lot thanking members, handing out souvenirs and taking photos with tailgating fans to be shared on official MU social media and the videoboards during the game. Businesses that provide member discounts will get a shout out during the day, each member gets a free drink and popcorn during the game, random Herd Club members get their seats upgraded to chair backs before the game, random members win pre-game sideline passes or tour of the Shewey during pre-game and they can run out of the tunnel after the team. During the game run a commercial for the Herd Club every quarter on the video boards. Have fanbassador tables in the concourses to sign up new members before and during the game. During a timeout in the game, make an announcement for all members to stand for a round of applause to be recognized for their support of the program. They could even expand that to a Herd Club Week and have a Herd Club Day for football, volleyball and soccer games all in the same week.

Renovate and upgrade the Big Green Room inside the stadium. Currently, it resembles a conference room inside an airport Comfort Inn. Immediately contact whoever it was that renovated the MU HOF Cafe bar area and turn them loose on it. Turn that place into a lounge open to Herd Club members 2 hours prior to kickoff. Make it have TVs everywhere with games on and all kinds of different types of seating. Have legit dining options only available there. Even have a bar area named The Varsity/The Union or Boney's Hole in the Wall as an homage to MU's past that will resonate with alumni of different generations. Build a drink rail along the windows so people can look out at all the west lot tailgating going on. It needs to be upgraded pronto and utilized as a Herd Club benefit for all members.

Take out the very top 10 rows of chairbacks and install 5 to 6 rows of club seating in their place. Extra wide, padded back and seat chairs that include a cupholder and place to put your phone. Aisles are twice as wide so everyone doesn't have to stand up every time you need to take a leak. Those sections will have designated wait staff that serve drinks and food to those sitting there. Only available to Herd Club members.

FOOTBALL ATTENDANCE- Many people argue that there are different reasons for Marshall's drop in attendance and season ticket sales. Depressed economy in the region, loss of population, high cost of tickets for a family, student apathy...all valid reasons. But I propose the biggest reason is being in a conference with schools we have nothing in common with, that are half a country away from us geographically and do not share the same goals as we do. I used to be in the camp that believed if Marshall was playing then that was enough for me to be there. As I've become older I realize its not that simple. Who we play does matter. If you go back over the last 10 years I would bet our average attendance for CUSA games was 24-26,000. For bigger named OOC opponents I bet that average is closer to 34-36,000. So is it any wonder it appears our ticket sales are down this year even when several SBC programs set ticket sales records this summer? To our casual fans, there isn't much difference between Texas St and Rice or Georgia St and FIU. So what do we need to do this year? Especially considering the first real, meaningful game won't be played in Huntington until mid-October?

First we need to re-introduce our fanbase to traditional rivals App State, GA Southern and JMU, to a lesser extent. Anyone under the age of 40 doesn't know what its like to have a geographical rival. If we don't come out with a rivalry renewed campaign for the App State game we will be missing a huge opportunity. I'm talking a rivalry renewed logo sold on shirts, hats, stadium cups, souvenirs and commemorative wall art for man caves. We need hype videos that throw back to the Southern Conference Days and 1-AA playoffs that tie in with new modern SBC connections. We need to beat into our fans head how lucky we are to be back in a regional conference again with like-minded institutions and show how much fun it can be.

We are hosting the conference's three heavyweights. They all could come into Huntington undefeated and potentially ranked. We need to hype those opponents up to reach our casual fans. We need to start doing it now instead of waiting until the week of the game. Especially the Louisiana game. I bet MU's current crop of freshmen were infants or toddlers the last time Marshall played a night conference game on ESPN. You can't blame them for not really knowing what to do with that. Marshall fans will make a big deal out of anything Marshall makes a big deal about. Our attendance for these games will reflect MU's efforts to fill the stands. We didn't lose our attendance over night and we won't gain it back overnight either. We'll have to win a bunch more games if they hope to grow attendance organically. They can throw Miracle Grow on it if they just start making a big deal about it. BEFORE the week of the game. It's too late then.

Has there ever been an in-game ticket promotion or advertisement during a game that you're aware of? If there has been, I don't remember it. We need to promote the App, Coastal and UL games during the Norfolk St and GW games. Hype videos on the videoboards with a call to action to buy tickets during breaks in game action. Have a greenlight special once a half. Everyone here is old enough to remember K-Mart's Blue light specials, I assume. Create a videoboard graphic with a green light and an attention message similar to the blue light special message. At the play stoppage closest to the 5 minute mark left in the 2nd quarter announce a ticket special for the UL game- buy 4 tickets online before the end of the quarter and you'll get a $100 concessions voucher. Use promo code FAMILY at Herdzone.com. But it ends at the end of the quarter, no exceptions. Do it again at the end of the 3rd quarter just different promotion, different game. Get people to buy while they're already at a game having a good time with family and friends. Sure it's MiLB level promotion but people eat that stuff up. It's fun and nostalgic.

Why should Gameday festivities be only one day? On Friday evenings have stadium field tours for a few hours where fans can go out to the endzone and get photos. Have a fan reception in the west side concourse with the pep band and cheerleaders. Then on Sunday have a fan brunch on the MSC plaza or inside. Gameday becomes three days instead of one.

I hope we can complete the third party ticket vendor partnership. That kind of recognition helps too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News