ADVERTISEMENT

MU PRESS RELEASE Peralta, Shapiro and Two Baseball Signees Are Taken on Day Three of 2019 MLB Draft

Y.A.G Si Ye Nots

Platinum Buffalo
Mar 7, 2010
Home Wrecker
Marshall shortstop Elvis Peralta was drafted in the 26th round (Oakland), and pitcher Josh Shapiro went in the 27th round (Milwaukee). Two signees for next year were also drafted.

Shapiro was out of eligibility, but Peralta has one more year if he chooses to return. This was his first year in Huntington after having played at a JUCO.

Surprisingly, once again, Marshall catcher Rey Pastrana was not drafted. Last year, he had one of the three best seasons for a catcher in the country. This year, his offensive numbers dropped significantly, but his defense is strong enough to give him a chance somewhere. He hit .271 with 8 HRs which is a solid season, especially for a catcher. He threw out almost 50% of stolen base attempts which is phenomenal. However, he struck out 35% of his at bats, which is terrible. On the other hand, when he does make contact, he hits .415. Based on his offensive numbers the last two seasons and his extremely good throwing percentage, there has to be something else at play as to why nobody has drafted him.

https://herdzone.com/news/2019/6/5/...ees-taken-on-day-three-of-2019-mlb-draft.aspx

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. – It was a big day for the Marshall baseball program on day three of the 2019 MLB Draft as redshirt-junior shortstop Elvis Peralta, Jr., senior left-handed starting pitcher Joshua Shapiro and signees Zane Zurbrugg and Ryan Leitch were taken on the final day.

Peralta was selected with the 794th pick (26th round) by the Oakland A's, Zurbrugg was taken 823rd (27th round) by the Milwaukee Brewers, Leitch was selected by the Cincinnati Reds 894th (30th round) and Shapiro was also taken by the Brewers with the 1,033rd pick (34th round).

Leitch is a catcher who played high school baseball at Sinclair Secondary School in Whitby, Ontario, Canada. He's listed at 6-2, 210 pounds by Prep Baseball Report and is an incoming freshman.

Zurbrugg will be a junior-college transfer from Shoreline Community College and will be a junior in eligibility next season. He is listed as a 6-4, 195-pound centerfielder by 2019 MLB draft tracker.

Marshall shortstop Elvis Peralta was drafted in the 26th round (Oakland), and pitcher Josh Shapiro went in the 27th round (Milwaukee). Two signees for next year were also drafted.

Shapiro was out of eligibility, but Peralta has one more year if he chooses to return. This was his first year in Huntington after having played at a JUCO.

Surprisingly, once again, Marshall catcher Rey Pastrana was not drafted. Last year, he had one of the three best seasons for a catcher in the country. This year, his offensive numbers dropped significantly, but his defense is strong enough to give him a chance somewhere. He hit .271 with 8 HRs which is a solid season, especially for a catcher. He threw out almost 50% of stolen base attempts which is phenomenal. However, he struck out 35% of his at bats, which is terrible. On the other hand, when he does make contact, he hits .415. Based on his offensive numbers the last two seasons and his extremely good throwing percentage, there has to be something else at play as to why nobody has drafted him.
Agree on Pastrana. Senior catchers are so valuable to low A and rookie league teams. Surprised he didnt get a shot.

You'd have to think the two recruits would come to MU and play next season and perhaps beyond given that they were drafted in the lower rounds. Any success attained playing for the Herd a year or two would seem to improve their chances of being drafted higher in future drafts.

You'd have to think the two recruits would come to MU and play next season and perhaps beyond given that they were drafted in the lower rounds. Any success attained playing for the Herd a year or two would seem to improve their chances of being drafted higher in future drafts.
If they come to MU they have to stay for at least three years.

You usually get very little money, even in the mid 20 rounds. I want to see Peralta get a shot at pro ball but I hope he returns to MU for his senior year. He's got a ton of talent and arguably the best SS MU has fielded.

As for Pastrana, he did have a slump to start the season but fought his way back. Defensively, he is arguably the best catcher MU has had, especially with his ability to throw out and pick off runners. Nothing against the MU coaches but perhaps Rey just needs a change of scenery and coaches to help his batting.

I hope Shapiro all the best as I'm sure he'll give the minors a try. I believe he's finished his degree as well so what does he have to lose by giving pro ball a chance.

Is YAGs Chuck Landon?

Chuck blocked me on Facebook years ago when I called him out for 1) posting false information about wvu 2) writing articles that were stolen from this website.

But at least his posts on here don't have their title threads changed.

If they come to MU they have to stay for at least three years.

One of the draftees is a JUCO, so he is eligible after next season, I believe.
The other is a high school kid from Canada. I'm not sure if being a 13th grader and/or being classified as a foreign selection impacts when he can be drafted at a four-year.

As for Pastrana, he did have a slump to start the season but fought his way back. Defensively, he is arguably the best catcher MU has had, especially with his ability to throw out and pick off runners. Nothing against the MU coaches but perhaps Rey just needs a change of scenery and coaches to help his batting.

The thing is that his hitting this season wasn't awful. Hitting .271 with 8 HRs is respectable. It's actually considered solid for a catcher, especially one that brings as much to the table as he does defensively. On top of that, offense is secondary for catchers. MLB cares far more about defense for catchers, and in terms of throwing, he is one of the best (if not the best) in the country.

I have to imagine there is something far more to him not getting drafted the last two years than anything baseball related. It simply doesn't make sense.

Last year, he was was one of the three finalists for the Johnny Bench Award which is given to the best catcher in college baseball. Those kids ALWAYS get drafted . . . and get drafted early. Yet he wasn't drafted at all.

He then played in the Cape. Again, those kids, especially catchers, always get drafted.

Just a few months ago, Baseball America listed him as the top senior catcher in the country. He then was ranked by Baseball America as the 30th best senior MLB prospect including all positions. There are over 1500 draft picks, Pastrana was listed as one of the top 30 seniors for the draft, yet he wasn't taken.

His defense (at least throwing) was just as impressive this season as last. His offense, though not nearly as good as last year's results, weren't concerning enough to drop him out of the top half of the draft, let alone the entire draft.

There is more to it than what we know.

Perhaps. It's hard to imagine what it could be as he's shown great on-field leadership and has a great mind for the game. My interactions with him have been few but in those times he presents himself well and is always respectful. I hope he gets a shot at the minors and can show an organization that he deserves a legitimate opportunity.

In Pastrana's case, are there any lingering or potential physical issues, injuries, etc., that have perhaps been kept quiet from the general public that MLB teams have possibly become aware of??

Shapiro graduated last year and just finished his first year of graduate school. He will play in Pheniox for Milwaukee’s rookie team(s) which there are 3 of them. Games start on the 16th of June. He will be a reliever for the blue team. He will also play against Elvis P. At some point. Good luck to both.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT