ADVERTISEMENT

HERDNATION.COM PFF Volume 7 Offense: The Good, The Bad & The Interesting vs. North Texas

Chris McLaughlin

Grammar Snob
Staff
Feb 14, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
marshall.rivals.com
Courtesy of @Zac Arrowood

As you look at the numbers, here's a chart for reference to see how each grade would be categorized:

1-49 - poor
50-55 - below average
56-64 - average
65-70 - above average
71-79 - good
80-89 - very good
90-99 - outstanding

One could argue that the performance on Friday night against North Texas was the most complete game the Herd has played since Navy. While the second half was not as explosive offensively as some might have hoped, there was is still much to celebrate, most notably, back-to-back victories. Marshall’s top graded offensive player from Week 7 was Stone Scarcelle, grading at 77.1. Let’s look at how the rest of the offense performed according to PFF.

Quarterback:

Some personal narrative here: I was extremely surprised to see how low Grant Wells graded against North Texas, despite having one of his better career performances. Apparently, completing 18 passes in a row was not enough as Wells finished with a grade of 71.9. Considering he graded 79.0 against Old Dominion last week, I expected a comparable grade. Why the low grade? “Turnover Worthy Plays” have been a point of note all season for Wells, both good and bad. In recent weeks, Wells had lowered his Turnover Worthy Play percentage from 8.8% against Appalachian State to 1.8% against Old Dominion. Unfortunately, against North Texas, Wells’ percentage jumped to 7.9%. This score coupled with the second half interception are what led to an overall lower grade. His NFL Passer Rating for Week 7 was 114.8. I think that I can speak for all of HerdNation when I say that I would gladly continue to accept 71.9 grades from PFF for Grant Wells as long as they continue to translate into wins.

Running Back:

Rasheen Ali was Marshall’s top graded running back according to PFF with a 70.0. Statistically, Ali continues to perform at a high level, gaining 109 yards on 20 carries while totaling two touchdowns. Ali also had one catch for 50 yards. Sheldon Evans graded a 67.3, while Ethan Payne scored 64.0.

Wide Receiver:

Marshall’s top graded and lowest graded receivers flip-flopped from the win over Old Dominion as Stone Scarcelle graded at 77.1 (47.6 vs. ODU) against North Texas and Shadeed Ahmed (70.0 vs. ODU) scored 60.0. Jayden Harrison had the second highest grade among the Herd’s wide receivers at 76.1. Corey Gammage finished with a grade of 73.8, while Willie Johnson was graded 67.3.

Tight End:

With Devin Miller exiting the game early with an injury, Xavier Gaines stepped up and led Marshall in receiving. Gaines graded at 72.0 for the game, which was his best effort since Appalachian State. Garet Morrell had the second highest grade among the tight ends with a 60.9, followed by Amir Richardson at 56.4.

Offensive Line:

Marshall played a total of ten offensive lineman against North Texas, however, I am only going to report on those who played more than 30 snaps, as the stats are a little skewed otherwise. Alex Salguero came away with the top grade according to PFF with a 69.7 (67.6 run block, 80.5 pass block) on 61 snaps. Alex Mollette was second grading a 69.5 (67.8 run block, 83.7 pass block) playing 67 snaps. James Magee was next totaling a grade of 69.3 (66.1 run block, 81.3 pass block) on 77 snaps. Magee was followed by Will Ulmer at 68.1 (70.3 run block, 56.2 pass block) on 67 snaps and Kendrick Sartor with a 62.1 (62.6 run block, 56.1 pass block) on 50 snaps. Ethan Driskell graded at 55.6 on 34 snaps.

A Look at CUSA’s Top Performers from Week 6:

Top Graded QB in CUSA Week 7: Frank Harris from UTSA at 91.0

Top Graded WR in CUSA Week 7: Jacob Cowing from UTEP at 86.0

Top Graded RB in CUSA Week 7: DeWayne McBride from UAB at 84.1

Top Graded TE in CUSA Week 7: Jacob Adams from Louisiana Tech at 75.0

Top Graded OL in CUSA Week 7: Colby Ragland from UAB at 91.7

If you would like to know the grade for a specific offensive player during week seven, do not hesitate to ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News