ADVERTISEMENT

PICK 6 from @HerdTickets

Mike Gwinn

I'd rather be fishing.
Feb 26, 2002
Beckley, WV
Another great offer from the MU ticket office. Buy six General Admission(upper endzone) tickets for $100. Use them any way you choose. Use all 6 for 1 game or 1 for all 6 home games. The choice is yours!

For a person buying singles this is cheaper than buying endzone season tickets.

WnuBini.jpg

Having just moved back to Huntington last summer and not paying much attention to ticket specials such as this in the several years beforehand, has the ticket office been offering solid ticket specials like this for very long? They had some solid deals last year where you could buy a ticket at the cost of our rank. It's nice to see different ideas like this. I'll probably pick this up.

Reactions: Mike Gwinn
Now that is a great deal. Kudos to whoever thought of that. They need to blast this stuff out to the media now. Don't wait.

As tempted as I am to take the deal, after dropping my season tickets in 2012, I paid $90 to see every home game in 2013, and then $100 to see all of last season. I feel like it would take some of the fun out of seeing how cheaply I can get through a season.

I figure a few of you guys are probably steamed reading that (season ticket holders probably), but after spending $285 a season for years, only to have the tickets in front of me sold on the internet the week of the game for a fraction of what I was paying, I couldn't help but feel like maybe I was getting ripped off. Some of the guys in the AD need to take a marketing class or two and learn what "trade-down" means in retail. Marshall tickets have almost no value, due to the extremely high quantity of available seats, the relatively low demand for them, and the constant devaluation of their face value through promotions like this one. Oh, and a complete and utter lack of ushers/ticketing policy enforcement.

My opinion on this might be different if I were buying multiple season tickets but I just have to buy one for myself. Because of that, I'm not as price sensitive when it comes to MU season tickets.

I guess I could take this offer and then go sit in my seat on the east sideline and save $100... but I buy season tickets for the convenience of not having to try and track down a ticket on game day, the priority points and I feel like I'm supporting the program.

I don't really think about if the person in front of me got his ticket cheaper than I did. I just look at it a different way, I guess. But that's just me speaking as a single season ticket buyer. Just presenting another side of it.

I don't mean to antagonize people who want to contribute - I used to be that way myself, but I kind of fell off. It felt like Marshall was trying to see how much money the people who cared were willing to spend, while steeply discounting the sea of unsold seats around us.

I've always felt like that a better business model would be to reverse that: tarp or destroy the endzone seating. We have six sections (chairbacks, East Prime I) that look like season tickets are sold out. Outside of these sections, not so much. If you reduced seating, then cut the season tickets in those sections to at least their face value, you could probably pick up a significant portion of that 10,000-12,000 members of our dedicated fanbase who come to every game, but don't buy season tickets.

Make it to where people like me can't game the system, or where we won't want to, and I have to believe that will drive revenue more than these discounts that ultimately just devalue our ticketing. Not to mention that 28,000 people in a 30,000 seat stadium looks and feels like a much bigger deal than what we have now.

Given the current capacity, I think this is an amazing deal. Kudos to the ticket office for the promotion.

But I'm with licious, and I'm all over this idea anytime it comes up. Tarping the upper endzone is the answer to so many of the problems we discuss on here. Still plenty of seats we can sell through deals such as these, but with less of a chance to parlay a 15-20$ ticket into a seat on the 45 yard line.

This would increase the perceived demand and value of the prime seats, since you'd actually have to pay for it to sit there. Absolutely it would increase revenue.

Color outs would work just fine with 27k+ fans.

Student section would fill up better since it'd all be compressed into the sidelines.

Best part is, it could be removed when we know were gonna use the xtra capacity.

There's really no argument against it, other than folks will say it "looks bush league." Well if it's good enough for the NFL, NASCAR, USC, the list goes on, I don't think it'll hurt our image too bad. Probably less than a 1/3 empty looking stadium.

End zone seating has been tweaked a bit this year.

If you look at the prices for season tickets you'll notice the only end zone sections where season tickets are available in 2015 are the two lower ones- 128 and 130. It's my understanding that rows in those sections have been reconfigured to widen the seats resulting in less total seats per row. I don't think single game tickets will be available in 128 and 130.

The upper endzone sections will now be general admission, first come-first serve seating. Those GA seats will be cheaper or will be the reduced price tickets for single game promotions.

That's my understanding, at least.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT