ADVERTISEMENT

Seems to be an illogical tool

greengeezer

Platinum Buffalo
Dec 25, 2007
I’m sure construction companies use powered augers to dig holes, but I’m building a fence with the help of an old fashioned post hole digger. It is a very illogical tool. The deeper you go, the less you can spread the handles to remove the dirt.

Oh, well. Only four more holes to go

Make sure you are squeezing the handles together when you are plunging down. You’ll get a wider cut so you don’t have to spread the handles much to hold the soil.

Most people make the mistake of holding one handle in each hand. Squeeze both handles with both hands.

Make sure you are squeezing the handles together when you are plunging down. You’ll get a wider cut so you don’t have to spread the handles much to hold the soil.

Most people make the mistake of holding one handle in each hand. Squeeze both handles with both hands.
Good point. I’ve also seen the post hole diggers that pivot at mid handle. Works well but not worth the cost for the few holes that I usually dig.

I use a pick axe for everything I do in the yard. Did a bunch of edging of the landscaping with it yesterday. Slow and tedious, but it looks awesome.

My yard tool of choice is a long handled pitch fork. Found the head in the weeds years ago and bought a new handle for it. Great for tending a brush pile fire, raking in the flower beds, and popping out unwanted plant growth. If I lived in a big city, I’d carry it on the bus.

I assumed from the thread title that this was going to be about one of the other regulars here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT