ADVERTISEMENT

So have any names leaked out for OC yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The majority of FBS players are black. The majority of FBS head coaches are old white guys. The best recruiters, as a whole, tend to be younger guys (of any race) and older black guys. That isn't to say that an old white guy can't be a hell of a recruiter; I am generalizing here. Age and race have shown to be a factor in being good recruiters.

Old white guys don't relate well to 17 year old black kids. That is why you don't see many FBS schools assigning old white coaches to recruit predominately black urban areas. Likewise, you don't usually see an old black coach assigned to recruit the West Texas region at most colleges. Those people don't have a lot in common most of the time.

So, if you already have a staff of old white guys, adding another doesn't do you any favors. That is why many head coaches will make it a point to assign certain positions as minority hires . . . why schools will even advertise open jobs as being for minorities.

Interestingly enough, the white coaches I have worked for made it a point to make sure certain hires were minority positions. Black coaches I have worked for haven't cared; they wanted to hire the best overall coach regardless of race. There are other dynamics at play in those situations, but I thought it was an interesting observation.
Hire the best coach

Ok GreenDuke let's go out and get all old ****s and see how we do. Is there any 70 year old Marshall alums that need a job or that gave once to the big green or that you think can relate to a 18 year old black kid from another state or a 18 year white kid from the deep South. I say no because most 60 and 70 year old men are stuck in the past and never want to change. And yes Saben isn't as good as he once was it's more about the school name and we're that school plays SEC.
Dont get all younger coaches or hoola hoop will take place of wind sprints. Good grief they "younger folk" want football to be non contact and nobody said 60 or 70 years old. As far as older coaches not relating is more like the boys need a friend not a hard ass coach. WRONG AND you are wrong about saban he is better than ever. Makes me think of lebron james sending lonzo ball some cookies. Maybe james is another bruce jenner

Since Hartley left after 2015 class, we have signed 11 recruits from GA with 7 of those recruits having a composite 3-star plus rating, and we still have several targets on the board from that state. Our recruiting in the state fine overall. Hartley and Seider both took too many risks in recruiting to be honest. It lead to high rated classes with some flashy recruits but it was mixed bag overall with high attrition rates.

You can say the same of our recruiting in Florida also, pd. And I'm not just talking Seider's recruiting, but Doc's too, ever since he has been at MU. Fact is the average caliber of D1 recruits from Georgia and Florida is just at such a high level, that the risks are often worth taking. That's why when the Atlanta paper, the AJC, will have a 8 to 10 page spread covering and summarizing the college recruiting in Georgia and how many players from the state will be going to D1 FCS and FBS programs.

Since Hartley left after 2015 class, we have signed 11 recruits from GA with 7 of those recruits having a composite 3-star plus rating, and we still have several targets on the board from that state. Our recruiting in the state fine overall. Hartley and Seider both took too many risks in recruiting to be honest. It lead to high rated classes with some flashy recruits but it was mixed bag overall with high attrition rates.

Anyone who thinks MU is going to be competitive, i.e., contend for league championship, by contracting our recruiting to the "local", or West Virginia ("304") are delusional. Check the MU teams in early and mid 60s. Charlie Snyder recruited locally, Huntington-Charleston, Ohio Valley, Southern WV, Northern Panhandle, SE Ohio and Eastern KY as heavily as MU has ever done. Had some good teams with Pruett and company, but high water mark was second in the MAC. When Snyder was let go, his coaching record at MU was that the Herd LOST 2 out of every three games they played!!

So when is Doc hiring you for a job? Oh yeah, that right, he thinks you suck as a coach and passed on you. But you always pass yourself off on here as a great coach and the best recruiter of all time.

You're that mad that I clearly showed you to be wrong? It's alright. @ToesMU will always have your back as long as you are arguing against me. Just don't let him send you his Marshall fantasy camp picture in a nightgown.

But you always pass yourself off on here as a great coach and the best recruiter of all time.

I don't. I rarely talk about myself on this particular board unless one of your morons starts taking jabs.

Let me know if you'd like to see my accomplishments again.

S

I'll be honest, I'm tired of your sorry ass coming on here to do nothing but trash MU. That's all you ever do.

Nobody cares what you think. When you make such a foolish argument like Marshall's recruiting hasn't dropped off at all over the last two years, you prove to the entire board how much of a moron you are. Hell, even recruits see it; that's why two Marshall signees were begging for a gray-shirt offer from an inferior program even though they had money from day 1 in Huntington. That's not good.

And I don't always trash Marshall. I defend Marshall just as much as I talk about its deficiencies. One of its deficiencies, currently, is a severe drop in recruiting.

I deal in statistics and you put the info up from 247Sports and it shows that the average rating of the recruits in the 2016 and 2017 classes are right in line with previous classes.

Do you think this entire board is full of people dumber than you? That's the only way you would be foolish enough to post your drivel. First, the two years of recruiting that are being classified as declining are 2017 and 2018 (which the majority of recruiting has already been completed for). Go look at the statistics I posted. 2017 and 2018 have seen a severe drop from the previous six years. How can you be dumb enough to argue otherwise?

The 2018 class isn't over yet and the guys we have signed haven't even been evaluated in most cases because they didn't go to the required camps to get evaluated and shut down their recruitment early.

The 2018 class would have to have a miraculous turnaround to even be a halfway decent class. Not only are they dead last in the conference - by a longshot - but they are one of the worst few in the country. That's a HUGE drop from 2010-2016.

The second part of your comment is even more comically absurd. You're saying that those guys are rated low due to them being so enthralled with a 3-9 Marshall that they shut their recruitment down and thus prevented other schools from offering them? Damn, you're a moron. I guess the two verbal commits who were wanting to take official visits (even though they knew it was only a gray-shirt opportunity at best) forgot your plan.

and if you look at the offer list, you will notice we continue to recruit a lot of highly rated players.

Congratulations on recruiting players? Try signing them.

As for the starters comment, the 2016 class only had 10 players play in 2016 and only 2 started with the 2016 season being on the players from the previous classes and attrition. In 2017, the same 2016 class accounted for 8 starters and 29 played in the 2-deep with MU finishing with a 8-5 record. I would say that class is a pretty good start at this point. The 2017 class had 6 play and only 2 start for a class that redshirted all but 1 HS recruit. The jury is still out on the 2017 class, but all but 1 3-star plus recruit is still in the program and all but two non-kicker recruits were not rated a high 2-star or better so the class has good depth overall.

As I already explained the last time you tried changing the discussion, that info is meaningless to this discussion. If you have an entire signing class start as freshman and the team goes 0-12, does that mean it was a good recruiting class? Exactly. If you get a bunch of choir boys to stay all four years, they all start, but they win a total of 2 games during their careers, does that make a good recruiting class? Exactly.

The most accepted and respected recruiting rankings have been posted. They show that Marshall has seen a huge decline in their last two recruiting classes. Arguing otherwise makes you a buffoon.

Am I wrong, or isn't Marshall still getting almost entirely 2 star athletes same as always? I think that's actually pretty good considering the team is in C-USA, and well, Marshall is located in Huntington, which it is no secret has a bad national reputation for crime these days.

You're wrong.

In 2010, Marshall had 28 commits. 19 of them were 3- stars. In 2013, out of 22, there were 2 who were 4-stars and 11 who were 3-stars. In 2014, 1 was a 4-star and 15 were 3-stars. In 2015, out of 25, 14 of them were 3-stars. In 2016, out of 32, 2 of them were 4-stars and 15 were 3-stars.

Now, look at the last two classes:

In 2017, out of 20, there were 0 who were 4-stars and 9 who were 3-stars. For 2018, out of 11, there are 0 who are 4-stars and 1 who is a 3-star.

Between 2010-2016, every year except for one had more than 50% of the signees be either 3 or 4 star guys. In 2017, it was less than 50% (which only happened once in the previous seven classes). So far in 2018, only 1 out of 11 fits that mold.

So, no, Marshall wasn't usually only getting 2-star guys. From 2010-2016 (that's 7 recruiting classes), Marshall had six recruiting classes where the majority were 3 or 4 star guys. That hasn't been the case the last two years.

You're wrong.

In 2010, Marshall had 28 commits. 19 of them were 3- stars. In 2013, out of 22, there were 2 who were 4-stars and 11 who were 3-stars. In 2014, 1 was a 4-star and 15 were 3-stars. In 2015, out of 25, 14 of them were 3-stars. In 2016, out of 32, 2 of them were 4-stars and 15 were 3-stars.

In 2017, out of 20, there were 0 who were 4-stars and 9 who were 3-stars. For 2018, out of 11, there are 0 who are 4-stars and 1 who is a 3-star.

Between 2010-2016, every year except for one had more than 50% of the signees be either 3 or 4 star guys. In 2017, it was less than 50% (which only happened once in the previous seven classes). So far in 2018, only 1 out of 11 fits that mold.

So, no, Marshall wasn't usually only getting 2-star guys. From 2010-2016 (that's 7 recruiting classes), Marshall had six recruiting classes where the majority were 3 or 4 star guys. That hasn't been the case the last two years.

Great job with the numbers. The one caveat, however, is that this recruiting class is being evaluated before it's actually finished. I realize that there are only a small number of slots left for this class, but if Marshall were to fill those with 3- and 4-star athletes then 2018 would compare more favorably.

Reactions: chuck1069
You can say the same of our recruiting in Florida also, pd. And I'm not just talking Seider's recruiting, but Doc's too, ever since he has been at MU. Fact is the average caliber of D1 recruits from Georgia and Florida is just at such a high level, that the risks are often worth taking. That's why when the Atlanta paper, the AJC, will have a 8 to 10 page spread covering and summarizing the college recruiting in Georgia and how many players from the state will be going to D1 FCS and FBS programs.

Anyone who thinks MU is going to be competitive, i.e., contend for league championship, by contracting our recruiting to the "local", or West Virginia ("304") are delusional. Check the MU teams in early and mid 60s. Charlie Snyder recruited locally, Huntington-Charleston, Ohio Valley, Southern WV, Northern Panhandle, SE Ohio and Eastern KY as heavily as MU has ever done. Had some good teams with Pruett and company, but high water mark was second in the MAC. When Snyder was let go, his coaching record at MU was that the Herd LOST 2 out of every three games they played!!
I'm not saying to just recruit locally at all. I really like that we recruit GA and FL hard, but in the past we had RCs that took some big risks that worked for a short period but hurt us long term. We have actually expanded our recruiting areas to LA and MS so expect to see a few more players signed from there in the future. The key for me is that the recruiting of FL has gotten much tougher for us with Davis, Kiffin, Strong, and a successful UCF down in FL. We recruit the same caliber of players so it will be much tougher to get recruits to leave the state unless they end up loving MU and/or our coaches, or just want to leave the state.

You're that mad that I clearly showed you to be wrong? It's alright. @ToesMU will always have your back as long as you are arguing against me. Just don't let him send you his Marshall fantasy camp picture in a nightgown.

Nobody cares what you think. When you make such a foolish argument like Marshall's recruiting hasn't dropped off at all over the last two years, you prove to the entire board how much of a moron you are.

Do you think this entire board is full of people dumber than you?

Damn, you're a moron.

Arguing otherwise makes you a buffoon.

Listen up you sorry, no good, sack of shit, I did not call you any names but you sure as hell can't do the same. All you do is come on here and attack and/or call posters on this board names and act as though you are better than everyone. Your not, your nothing but pond scum that is a blight on this board. You call me names and say I'm stupid, but I have a MBA and a 6 figure paying job to go along with it.

Last edited:
This thread is too good
giphy.gif

You're wrong.

Your numbers are way off. In 2010, we had 33 recruits and only 11 were composite rated 3-stars plus recruits, and of those 11, ZERO completed their eligibility at MU. The 2-star players ended being the best players in that class as several were underrated for one reason or another. The 2011 class was a great one with 21 3-star plus recruits, but 2012-2015 straight up sucked with only 23 of 65 3-star plus recruits either completing their eligibility or on the current roster. The saving grace for the program has been the fact that we have recruited very well with the 2-star recruits we signed. The 2016 class actually has more 2-star recruits that start than we do 3-stars and there was an equal number of both in the class. The 2017 class had an average rating that was just as high as previous classes with 24 of 28 rated a high 2-star or higher, so while some of our conference mates may have had higher rated classes, we still recruited at the same level as we always have with Doc as HC.

back to the subject at hand. I have heard the names of 7 candidates that Doc has or will interview. Some have very good pedigrees.
Who are you hearing about? There have only been 3 named so far on Old Fairfield.

Great job with the numbers. The one caveat, however, is that this recruiting class is being evaluated before it's actually finished. I realize that there are only a small number of slots left for this class, but if Marshall were to fill those with 3- and 4-star athletes then 2018 would compare more favorably.

The former is a fair point. The latter is not. If what some people said is correct in this thread regarding the number of available initials for 2018, even if every single one of them were 3-star signees (which we both can agree is far from likely to happen), it would still be lower than many of the previous years.

There has been not just a decline, but a substantial decline over the last two years. A remarkable closing to the 2018 class would still put it behind what has taken place from 2010-2016.

Listen up you sorry, no good, sack of shit, I did not call you any names but you sure as hell can't do the same.

Anyone who has read this thread can clearly see that you started with the personal jabs before I started acknowledging your lack of intelligence. Being dumb is bad enough. Being dumb and a hypocrite is much worse.

Your not, your nothing but pond scum that is a blight on this board. You call me names and say I'm stupid, but I have a MBA and a 6 figure paying job to go along with it.

During your MBA, you never learned fifth grade English to know the difference between "your" and "you're," moron. You also never learned when to use "a" or "an" depending on the enunciation of the next word. So, yes, you're quite stupid.

Now, go through all of these threads and see if I have ever attacked anyone with names prior to them taking jabs at me. You will find that I don't do that.

You have a problem with me, you can look me up in Virginia Beach.

This is more evidence of how dumb you are. You take jabs at me. I respond with jabs. Then, you throw a tantrum yet try to claim that I am the one with the problem with you.

Further, anyone on this board who knows me will tell you that trying to play the tough guy role with me isn't a good look. I'm bigger than you. I'm stronger than you. I'm more athletic than you. I'm more trained in physical combat than you. I'm stronger mentally than you. I'm more intelligent than you. Basically, you'd get demolished in your tough guy challenge faster than you do in your foolish recruiting arguments. So stop with the "you have a problem then come find me" seventh-grade bullshit. You're a moron, your recruiting argument has been comically flawed, and you have exhibited to be a dumbass.

Your numbers are way off.

They aren't my numbers. They are 247's numbers which are very easy to verify. 247 is the leading and most respected authority on recruiting rankings in the country. If you have a problem with them, perhaps you should tell them where you live in Virginia Beach so they can find you.

, and of those 11, ZERO completed their eligibility at MU.

This and the rest of your numbers, as I already explained, are irrelevant. If every single one of that class left for the NFL after their junior year and became NFL draftees, they also wouldn't have completed their eligibility at Marshall. Does that mean that was a bad recruiting class? Of course not. Your attempts at justifying the rapid decline in recruiting over the last two years makes you appear to be Stowers reincarnated.

This discussion was based on how/if Marshall has dropped in their recruiting the last two years. Based on the most widely accepted ranking of recruiting, 247, Marshall has not only dropped, but drastically dropped. Those things happen when you go 3-9, get better head coaches in the regions you recruit, etc.

The 2017 class had an average rating that was just as high as previous classes with 24 of 28 rated a high 2-star or higher,

That just isn't true. Let me dumb this down for you:

Class A: 10 recruits 7 are 4-stars 3 are 3-stars
Class B: 10 recruits 0 are 4-stars 3 are 3-stars 7 are 2-stars

Which is a better recruiting class? Clearly, Class A is. But I could make the same comment that you did ("rated a high 2-star or higher") and claim that the classes are similar.

Look: Class B is not any worse than Class A. Class B had just as many high 2-star or rated recruits than Class A did, so there is no difference. Your criteria in order to make that comparison is completely watered down.

Sure, 2017 may have had about the same 2-star or higher recruits as the previous. But the 2017 class had far more 2-star recruits and far less 3 and 4-star recruits than the previous classes. That is holding true again for 2018.

You also claimed that the 2017 class had an average rating just as high as previous classes. That, again, is completely false. Using 247's numbers, the 2017 class was the third lowest average from 2010-2018. The 2018 class is the lowest.

So, out of nine recruiting classes, the 2018 class is by far the lowest average so far. The 2017 class is the third lowest out of nine.

No matter how you try and word your argument, it is invalid. Why? Because the last two classes have seen big drops in recruiting.

so while some of our conference mates may have had higher rated classes, we still recruited at the same level as we always have with Doc as HC.

Christ. How can I possibly have to dumb this down this much? Do you realize how recruiting rankings go in terms of team rankings? Each team is ranked. You can then look at both the national and conference rankings. So, if a team was ranked #1 almost every single year in the conference and then suddenly dropped to last place in the conference, that means they have had a drastic drop in the recruiting rankings. Teams don't recruit against themselves. They recruit against other teams. The whole point is to recruit better than your opponents to give you a better chance of winning.

Not only is your claim about the average stars being the same factually incorrect, but acknowledging that the other teams in the conference have passed Marshall by in recruiting yet claiming that doesn't equate to a drop in recruiting success is dumbfounding.

After the new coach is hired I wonder who will be the first to claim that they knew it all along and call him by his first name (ie Danny) like he was over for dinner last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT