ADVERTISEMENT

HERDNATION.COM Spring Preview: Picks to click & players who need big springs

Chris McLaughlin

Grammar Snob
Staff
Feb 14, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
marshall.rivals.com
As spring practice gets ready to start the HN staff gives their opinions on who they think will click this spring and who on the roster has to step up. Lets us know what you think of our picks and what yours would be in each category!:

Picks to Click:

Caleb McMillan - McMillan has seen limited action in his time with the Herd. He has shown run after catch ability and decent hands, which should give the new quarterback (whoever it may be) another weapon at his disposal. With the departure of some key players in the passing game such as Xavier Gaines and Willie Johnson, McMillan should get more opportunities to showcase what he can do. A big target at 6-3 and 215 pounds, he should create mismatches for opposing DB’s. - Aaron Coleman

Isaiah Norman - Entering his sixth year of college football as a transfer from Austin Peay, Norman brings veteran leadership to Marshall's locker room. While he has plenty of experience at the FCS level, Norman is a new addition to the Herd and one that I believe will make an immediate impact in the secondary. Look for Norman to exit spring practice with one of the two safety positions on lockdown heading into the fall. - Zac Arrowood

I think the pick to click will be Owen Porter. Porter has always been solid, but late in the year, including the bowl game, he became nearly unstoppable. He was in on every play. I believe that he will build on that and go into the spring knowing that he is a potential Sun Belt Defensive Player of the Year candidate. - Aaron Perkins

Lots of good choices here but I'm going with Jayden Harrison. He just has a little something extra I can't quite put my finger on and I think he's primed to take a huge leap. - Chris McLaughlin

Needs A Big Spring:

J’Coryan Anderson - He came in the same class with fellow Tennessee native Eli Neal and both were slated to have a big impact. So far, only Neal has been an impact player and Anderson has not put together a whole lot of production during his time in Huntington. He’s mostly played as a backup and served on the special teams units, but with some of the depth at LB being a bit of a question mark, he has to step up in case someone goes down. - Aaron Coleman

Cam Fancher - As a redshirt freshman, this is Fancher's time to produce or get used to signaling in plays. His athleticism is unquestioned, but does he have the ability to push Henry Colombi III for the QB1 spot? Not to mention, Fancher has Chase Harrison and Peter Zamora looking to cement themselves as the heir apparent to QB1 in 2023 and beyond. - Zac Arrowood

The player who needs a big spring is Corey Gammage. There are quite a few guys who really need to step up and play like they are capable, but Gammage needs to take his play to an even higher level. He has the body, speed, and ability to be the best wide receiver in the conference, he just needs to be consistent. I believe that he needs to just “look different,” during the spring and take his game to the level that we all expect it to be. - Aaron Perkins

I agree with Zac, here. Cam Fancher is the guy who really needs a big spring because he has a huge opportunity in front of him in terms on how many snaps he will see. Fancher has always been somewhat of an enigma and now is the chance for him to show the Herd coaching staff why former OC Tim Cramsey liked him so much coming out of high school. - Chris McLaughlin

Reactions: JudgeDD
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News