ADVERTISEMENT

Sun Belt football talk

Not a single mention of Marshall.

Well. Look at our current situation. We don't have a QB, the OL is a question mark, WRs leave a lot to be desired, we lost some big contributors from the defense, STs sucked last season, and we have a new DC. Not to mention we have to play Appy and Coastal on the road.

Huff was supposed to be "closing the gap".

Well. Look at our current situation. We don't have a QB, the OL is a question mark, WRs leave a lot to be desired, we lost some big contributors from the defense, STs sucked last season, and we have a new DC. Not to mention we have to play Appy and Coastal on the road.

Huff was supposed to be "closing the gap".
Agreed! We beat Notre Dame, but Doc could have accomplished everything else.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Agreed! We beat Notre Dame, but Doc could have accomplished everything else.
No he wouldn't have. The wheels would have fallen off after the ULL game. Doc choked away more games than any MU football coach in history. Not to mention the most embarrassing defeats we've ever had - WKU, UCF, Cincy, WVU, Rice, etc. Team fights, attrition, multiple arrests almost yearly it seemed. No thanks.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
No he wouldn't have. The wheels would have fallen off after the ULL game. Doc choked away more games than any MU football coach in history. Not to mention the most embarrassing defeats we've ever had - WKU, UCF, Cincy, WVU, Rice, etc. Team fights, attrition, multiple arrests almost yearly it seemed. No thanks.
Oh, I’m not a Doc fan in the slightest. Just stating the fact that he was consistent at being mediocre as well.

Well until we surpass 8-5 and 9-4 seasons we haven't improved over what we had with Doc. Not saying Huff is a bad coach I am just pointing out the obvious. No way we go better than 8-4 this season.

The wheels always "fell off" at the very end of the season. Usually when we could have sewn up a division and we lose to Charlotte or we lose in the conference championship. There were only two seasons where everything went hell in a handbasket.

Also don't assume that none of the off the field stuff is happening under Huff too. That garbage is happening all over the country on every roster.

That being said drawing comparison to Doc as a way to elevate Huff is nonsense. Huff isn't Doc. At least he shouldn't be. That's why Doc isn't here and Huff is. He's supposed to elevate us past Doc. He hasn't. As a matter of fact the team is trending or at least appears to be trending in the wrong direction. We're in year three of Huff. What Doc did or didn't do or left or didn't leave is no longer and excuse.

The main issue with this roster right now is for the last two seasons Huff was looking to cash out and didn't recruit for a team build. Now we have no QB and question marks almost everywhere by RB.

I don't care if Doc couldn't have beaten Notre Dame. I care that Huff is struggling to put up more than 14-17 points a game against anyone. Remember we were supposed to be the most hated team on everyone's schedule because we would never take our foot off the gas. Well that hasn't happened.

Well until we surpass 8-5 and 9-4 seasons we haven't improved over what we had with Doc. Not saying Huff is a bad coach I am just pointing out the obvious. No way we go better than 8-4 this season.
If Trickett uses Cam the correct way we could do better, but it sounds like we're still going to try and make Fancher a pocket passer instead of using his best attribute which is his ability to move in the open field. Our offense should more like what RR ran with Pat White or what Solich ran with Tettleton.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
The wheels always "fell off" at the very end of the season. Usually when we could have sewn up a division and we lose to Charlotte or we lose in the conference championship. There were only two seasons where everything went hell in a handbasket.

Also don't assume that none of the off the field stuff is happening under Huff too. That garbage is happening all over the country on every roster.

That being said drawing comparison to Doc as a way to elevate Huff is nonsense. Huff isn't Doc. At least he shouldn't be. That's why Doc isn't here and Huff is. He's supposed to elevate us past Doc. He hasn't. As a matter of fact the team is trending or at least appears to be trending in the wrong direction. We're in year three of Huff. What Doc did or didn't do or left or didn't leave is no longer and excuse.

The main issue with this roster right now is for the last two seasons Huff was looking to cash out and didn't recruit for a team build. Now we have no QB and question marks almost everywhere by RB.

I don't care if Doc couldn't have beaten Notre Dame. I care that Huff is struggling to put up more than 14-17 points a game against anyone. Remember we were supposed to be the most hated team on everyone's schedule because we would never take our foot off the gas. Well that hasn't happened.
How are we trending down? Huff won 7 games his first year and 9 in his second, against a tougher schedule? I get that you are anti-Huff and that's fine. The man isn't doing a bad job, but he's not got us in the gutter either. Doc had one good year, the rest were basically the same for the most part. I agree we need to move forward, everyone does; we'll see what year three brings- against the toughest schedule we've had in some time.

Considering he made the conference title game the year he was fired...I'd say he would have had a good shot to win the SBC, because isn't that what your kind keeps shouting out for, "Durrrrr 1 conference championship!!!" As if, once more, that matters.
How many embarrassing losses were to teams far, far more superior? Pretty much all of them.
The sad thing is, MU under Huff, were favored to win every single game except ND last year...and look at how we finished.

• Haha
Reactions: TwolfHerdfan

The only real.dofference currently, is that Huff is FAR more social than Doc.
Doc being Doc, made it easier for people to want to find flaws in his system and coaching, etc.
Huff hasn't exactly done much better and blew SEVERAL games where MU had a lead. At least with some of the games Doc lost, MU never had a chance...considering the competition.
But, since Huff is very people oriented and is more animated and just so different, it's tougher for people to want to find flaws in what he's doing.

Playing in the horrible conference we were in, you might be right. It was garbage.

So should MU thumb their nose at everyone else in a lower conference and expect to win it...
Then at the same time, give every excuse under the sun as to why MU can't even be successful as a school/institution and all else within itself?

Your types love to pretend MU can exist in two worlds at once for any given period of time.
So which is it?

So should MU thumb their nose at everyone else in a lower conference and expect to win it...
Then at the same time, give every excuse under the sun as to why MU can't even be successful as a school/institution and all else within itself?

Your types love to pretend MU can exist in two worlds at once for any given period of time.
So which is it?
Why would we expect to win a conference we weren’t in. You play to win. You recruit to win. You coach to win. You don’t want to settle for participation trophies every year. 2-3rd in our division of a conference is not success.

Why would we expect to win a conference we weren’t in. You play to win. You recruit to win. You coach to win. You don’t want to settle for participation trophies every year. 2-3rd in our division of a conference is not success.
That must suck for programs like PSU, and Tennessee, as well as others, who haven't "won" the way you expect to with us.

Maybe they should just give up?

Reactions: rvntx
Considering he made the conference title game the year he was fired...I'd say he would have had a good shot to win the SBC, because isn't that what your kind keeps shouting out for, "Durrrrr 1 conference championship!!!" As if, once more, that matters.
How many embarrassing losses were to teams far, far more superior? Pretty much all of them.
The sad thing is, MU under Huff, were favored to win every single game except ND last year...and look at how we finished.
WKU, Rice, MT? All superior to us?
Please. I appreciate what Doc did but he gave us one good season. He also gave us our worst season in decades - all things considered.

Reactions: Jartard
Doc won an average of 7 games a year. He didn't have a winning regular season in 4 of the 11 seasons he was here.
If that's good to you, that's sad
Gee, percentage wise, %wins per year, etc., that sounds pretty similar to what the men's basketball team has been putting up in the last 9 seasons!

Well, unless I've missed it, don't recall Huff, as of yet after two seasons, PUNTING from the opponent's Thirty-yard line, which is quite refreshing in itself!! Keeping my fingers crossed that the situation continues!! Hopefully, further overall improvements will follow!!

WKU, Rice, MT? All superior to us?
Please. I appreciate what Doc did but he gave us one good season. He also gave us our worst season in decades - all things considered.

You win some, you lose some. Get used to it. It's gonna happen again. Coaches are just looking for a quick buck and a ticket out of town ASAP.
Your whole, "durrr conference championships!!! Durrr!!!" BS is meaningless and a joke. All any G5 coach needs for a P5 jobs is simply showing improvement and competency in running a program.

Of course, now that your kind is all about the likes of Huff (and I like him too), just don't be shocked if he and everyone else coming in to coach, don't meet your expectations and are long gone while you scratch your head attempting to figure out what just happened.

Doc had 1 good season...but by your logic, its the last good season MU has had.

You win some, you lose some. Get used to it. It's gonna happen again. Coaches are just looking for a quick buck and a ticket out of town ASAP.
Your whole, "durrr conference championships!!! Durrr!!!" BS is meaningless and a joke. All any G5 coach needs for a P5 jobs is simply showing improvement and competency in running a program.

Of course, now that your kind is all about the likes of Huff (and I like him too), just don't be shocked if he and everyone else coming in to coach, don't meet your expectations and are long gone while you scratch your head attempting to figure out what just happened.

Doc had 1 good season...but by your logic, its the last good season MU has had.
What do you define as a good season? 6 wins, 7 wins? Not getting blown out in every loss? Just curious.
We all have ideas in our heads what constitutes a good or bad season, not shocking that differences exist in that area and across the board. Hell, some on here are just happy we show up on Saturdays. lol!

I don't care if Huff leaves, we'll find someone else and start the whole process over again. Rinse and repeat. The only coaches (REVENUE SPORTS) that stay here like Doc and DD are the ones that can't get jobs elsewhere; or are just too comfortable being consistent/average, that no one wants them.

What do you define as a good season? 6 wins, 7 wins? Not getting blown out in every loss? Just curious.
We all have ideas in our heads what constitutes a good or bad season, not shocking that differences exist in that area and across the board. Hell, some on here are just happy we show up on Saturdays. lol!

I don't care if Huff leaves, we'll find someone else and start the whole process over again. Rinse and repeat. The only coaches (REVENUE SPORTS) that stay here like Doc and DD are the ones that can't get jobs elsewhere; or are just too comfortable being consistent/average, that no one wants them.

My definition? It changes based on what players we have, the schedule, and changes made in the off-season. I certainly don't expect MU to lose every game.

If MU wins the games they should, has a cough up game and lose they shouldn't, beat a team they shouldn't, then I am fine with that. That's pretty much normal for every program...even Bama.
I'd love for an undefeated season every year, but that's unrealistic and only 2 teams go unbeaten a year, if that...so get that BS that MU should go undefeated every year, out of your head.
I don't expect MU to make the title game every season. It's just not something that will happen, given the ever-changing landscape of college sports and the literal House of Cards the G5 programs run under.

You don't care if Huff leaves?

Ah yes, the process of rinse and repeat...with MU...who has all those problems everyone complains about...poor attendance, economic problems, low alumni base, no money, poor recruiting area, etc...

...and you somehow are okay with the gamble that a new HC is going to magically turn things around in 2-3 seasons?

Just look at some of the former conference mates who had their coach win them a title and then depart. I'd look at USM and WKU first as they have had some time since their last title games.
Multiple coaches hired/fired, losses to FCS programs, ZERO WIN SEASONS, and a ton of other stuff, you'd be okay increasing the likelihood of happening because you're fine with it.
You think Doc, who had won a CUSA title game, could not get a job elsewhere if he really wanted to?
You do realize assistants are hired away left and right, for lesser coaching positions at better schools for more money, right?
Wasn't Chuck Heater hired for a defensive coaching roll that wasn't full blown Defensive Coordinator?
Maybe Doc wanted to stay and didn't have an interest (and expressed it to his agent who would field all calls) in leaving?
Goodness,.must suck the one loyal person to MU, which you don't find loyalty to programs, especially the G5, was the one you all didn't want.
Hell, at least he didn't bolt prior to 2016 when he knew it would be a dumpster fire or anticipated it, with the talent prior, being gone, unlike someone else before him.

My definition? It changes based on what players we have, the schedule, and changes made in the off-season. I certainly don't expect MU to lose every game.

If MU wins the games they should, has a cough up game and lose they shouldn't, beat a team they shouldn't, then I am fine with that. That's pretty much normal for every program...even Bama.
I'd love for an undefeated season every year, but that's unrealistic and only 2 teams go unbeaten a year, if that...so get that BS that MU should go undefeated every year, out of your head.
I don't expect MU to make the title game every season. It's just not something that will happen, given the ever-changing landscape of college sports and the literal House of Cards the G5 programs run under.

You don't care if Huff leaves?

Ah yes, the process of rinse and repeat...with MU...who has all those problems everyone complains about...poor attendance, economic problems, low alumni base, no money, poor recruiting area, etc...

...and you somehow are okay with the gamble that a new HC is going to magically turn things around in 2-3 seasons?

Just look at some of the former conference mates who had their coach win them a title and then depart. I'd look at USM and WKU first as they have had some time since their last title games.
Multiple coaches hired/fired, losses to FCS programs, ZERO WIN SEASONS, and a ton of other stuff, you'd be okay increasing the likelihood of happening because you're fine with it.
You think Doc, who had won a CUSA title game, could not get a job elsewhere if he really wanted to?
You do realize assistants are hired away left and right, for lesser coaching positions at better schools for more money, right?
Wasn't Chuck Heater hired for a defensive coaching roll that wasn't full blown Defensive Coordinator?
Maybe Doc wanted to stay and didn't have an interest (and expressed it to his agent who would field all calls) in leaving?
Goodness,.must suck the one loyal person to MU, which you don't find loyalty to programs, especially the G5, was the one you all didn't want.
Hell, at least he didn't bolt prior to 2016 when he knew it would be a dumpster fire or anticipated it, with the talent prior, being gone, unlike someone else before him.
Marshall will always be a stepping stone. As I said, if a football or basketball HC is here as long as Doc or DD, that means
Other schools don't see the value of bringing them on.
Doc called Pitt to inquire about their job but they told him thanks but no thanks.
He didn't get one sniff after 2014 just like Dan didn't after 2018.
Huff can stay or go. I hope he stays but I am not gonna lose sleep over it.

To think Doc or DD were or are coveted by other schools is laughable. I appreciate their time here and thank them, but Marshall did and is doing them a favor by keeping them on so long.

2016 was a dumpster fire because he let it be. Got complacent after 2014 and let a few players infect the whole team with their cancerous behavior. Your boy Hammy let it slide and looked the other way.
Doc had shortcomings, Huff has shortcomings; but in his first two years, he's won more games than any modern day Marshall coach not named Pruett or Donnan.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Marshall will always be a stepping stone.
Unless you're named Pruett or Holliday. Can't speak for Snyder but he likely would have bolted...got fired before he could.
Sadly, same applies to DD.

He didn't get one sniff after 2014

You have printed evidence Doc wanted out at any time? Your argument is speculative at best.

Huff can stay or go. I hope he stays but I am not gonna lose sleep over it.

Except everyone lost sleep over Huff inquiring to VT and other programs after a less than stellar season...expect more of that with future coaches.

2016 was a dumpster fire because he let it be. Got complacent after 2014 and let a few players infect the whole team with their cancerous behavior. Your boy Hammy let it slide and looked the other way.

Nobody could have predicted 2016 to go the way it did.
You mean Hamrick didn't do what you would? Fire a guy for a bad season instead of doing, what every other competent AD would do, which is give them a season to turn it around? Which they were able to do.

Huff has done decent with what he was given, actually he inherited a good team and it's a toss up now.

I doubt you won't react if he leaves. You'll be the first on here to post about how bad of a coach he is and why he shouldn't be hired by (insert next program)...along with a dozen other folks agreeing with you...then somehow expecting someone good to be landed next.

Then again, I am trying to explain logic to a collective who don't understand advertising and hate rap music.

• Haha
Reactions: FootballArmy
Unless you're named Pruett or Holliday. Can't speak for Snyder but he likely would have bolted...got fired before he could.
Sadly, same applies to DD.

You have printed evidence Doc wanted out at any time? Your argument is speculative at best.

Except everyone lost sleep over Huff inquiring to VT and other programs after a less than stellar season...expect more of that with future coaches.

Nobody could have predicted 2016 to go the way it did.
You mean Hamrick didn't do what you would? Fire a guy for a bad season instead of doing, what every other competent AD would do, which is give them a season to turn it around? Which they were able to do.

Huff has done decent with what he was given, actually he inherited a good team and it's a toss up now.

I doubt you won't react if he leaves. You'll be the first on here to post about how bad of a coach he is and why he shouldn't be hired by (insert next program)...along with a dozen other folks agreeing with you...then somehow expecting someone good to be landed next.

Then again, I am trying to explain logic to a collective who don't understand advertising and hate rap music.
Man, you are great at making assumptions and reading peoples minds. What gifts you have. Can't even discuss a topic without the childish remarks. Bravo! Always entertaining for sure.

Last edited:
Man, you are great at making assumptions and reading peoples minds. What gifts you have. Can't even discuss a topic without the childish remarks. Bravo! Always entertaining for sure.

So, what of what I have said, is untrue?

You and others DO get on here and you DO complain, about (in this case), Huff, inquiring about leaving.
Suddenly, all the terrible coaching decisions he has made come out (there are many threads about them).

This board loses it when someone leaves, or even transfers (for the benefit of said individual leaving) and you'll get:

1. "Forget him. Don't need him."
2. "He's decent, but he'll never see playing time there."
3. (Lists reasons why said player is terrible) "He won't do anything."
4. (Rarely) "Well who cares. I wish him the best."

Still waiting for you to counter my points.

Doc, Hamrick and coach P are no longer here. Move on and get over it. They are not coming back.

Doesn't matter if you like the new ones or not, they will also move on.
Then you guys can start all over again LOL

So, what of what I have said, is untrue?

You and others DO get on here and you DO complain, about (in this case), Huff, inquiring about leaving.
Suddenly, all the terrible coaching decisions he has made come out (there are many threads about them).

This board loses it when someone leaves, or even transfers (for the benefit of said individual leaving) and you'll get:

1. "Forget him. Don't need him."
2. "He's decent, but he'll never see playing time there."
3. (Lists reasons why said player is terrible) "He won't do anything."
4. (Rarely) "Well who cares. I wish him the best."

Still waiting for you to counter my points.
It's not worth my time. You are a piece of work. Trying to put words in people's mouths. It IS a message board with varied opinions, no right or wrong, unless it's yours; then you are always right. Knowing that, maybe you should volunteer to be an advisor to Spears and Smith, I am sure they could use your keen insight. Lol!

Huff is here, doing a solid job. Never once did I say I wanted him to leave. He eventually will though and we'll find someone else, just like we always have.
See you at the Joan. Or do you even attend? How about BG donations, Vision or Herd Rises campaign? Help with any of those? That's the best thing anyone could do for our school. Out.

Last edited:
It's not worth my time. You are a piece of work. Trying to put words in people's mouths. It IS a message board with varied opinions, no right or wrong, unless it's yours; then you are always right. Knowing that, maybe you should volunteer to be an advisor to Spears and Smith, I am sure they could use your keen insight. Lol!

Huff is here, doing a solid job. Never once did I say I wanted him to leave. He eventually will though and we'll find someone else, just like we always have.
See you at the Joan. Or do you even attend? How about BG donations, Vision or Herd Rises campaign? Help with any of those? That's the best thing anyone could do for our school. Out.

So, once more, you dismiss anything that would lend your contributions to the discussion any credibility.

Huff hasn't done what MU fans are demanding any MU football coach does and that is, win championships.

Ah, here it comes, donations to MU and attending games, as if longevity with a stubborn mind is somehow going to make someone more wise to the sport.
Yes, I do donate and am a BG member. I do attend games (just renewed my season tickets and got the electronic tickets option this time).
You're right, finances are the best thing for MU, just don't act like MU owes you anything in return...and whatever they do give you, don't b*tch or complain about it.

So, once more, you dismiss anything that would lend your contributions to the discussion any credibility.

Huff hasn't done what MU fans are demanding any MU football coach does and that is, win championships.

Ah, here it comes, donations to MU and attending games, as if longevity with a stubborn mind is somehow going to make someone more wise to the sport.
Yes, I do donate and am a BG member. I do attend games (just renewed my season tickets and got the electronic tickets option this time).
You're right, finances are the best thing for MU, just don't act like MU owes you anything in return...and whatever they do give you, don't b*tch or complain about it.
So it is true that you can't comprehend that this a board of Marshall fans who give their thoughts on the status of the school or program? Yet, you somehow believe that your opinion is the only correct one?
Again, read it slowly - there is no right or wrong answers here. No one is going to change my thoughts or yours.
Don't comment if you find someone's post not aligning with your way of thinking, or just say I disagree. The snarky or condescending comments aren't a good look. Read the posts for what they are, nothing more, nothing less. We'll all be better for it.

And thanks for the donations and being an avid fan. Kudos sir!

Last edited:
So it is true that you can't comprehend that this a board of Marshall fans who give their thoughts on the status of the school or program? Yet, you somehow believe that your opinion is the only correct one?
Again, read it slowly - there is no right or wrong answers here. No one is going to change my thoughts or yours.
Don't comment if you find someone's post not aligning with your way of thinking, or just say I disagree. The snarky or condescending comments aren't a good look. Read the posts for what they are, nothing more, nothing less. We'll all be better for it.

And thanks for the donations and being an avid fan. Kudos sir!

Most of the time I am rational on here. People, as you have said and I agree, can say whatever they want and have opinions.

But when people get too comfortable with their opinions (in the sense that they are rather extreme or based on opinion but presented as fact), that's when they need called out.
When that happens, it becomes accusations that someone works for the AD, or they should, as opposed to just admitting, sometimes you ramble and sound like an idiot and need to shut up.
Yes, I too, have done this, but actively try to avoid it. Some on here simply don't and think their age, along with longevity in donations, somehow elevates their opinions, when it's obvious, if you have the same close minded opinion of someone or something, you're not the more wiser from it, you're simply older and just as dumb.

Kudos to you for your BG donations as well.

I look forward to more debates, should we disagree.

Reactions: FootballArmy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT