ADVERTISEMENT

Sun Belt kicks out Idaho & New Mexico State

Dropping FL schools? Hell no! I wish we would of added more FL and less Texas in fact anything West of the Mississippi River.

UTSA will start to get talent in with the Black version of Doc Holliday

But not killing the Sun Belt by not bringing in Appy, GA Southern, ULL, and Arky State will keep the Sun Belt lingering in 1A ball

That I don't disagree with. Don't understand why they don't use the Spurs arena for games.

That I don't disagree with. Don't understand why they don't use the Spurs arena for games.

I'm really surprised at how little they've done since coming to CUSA. I loved their addition at the time it was announced.

Frankly, I'm not really in love with any of our conference mates from TX. North Texas blows in football and basketball; UTEP has sucked in football for as long as I can remember (although they do have a nice basketball program); and Rice is middling.

A more regional conference with the seven from the east, La Tech and Southern Miss along with some of the better Sun Belt teams would be pretty sweet.

I'm surprised that they can just vote a team out of a conference. I don't know if that is the rule in CUSA or not.

It does make the SBC a more compact league. Keep your eye on Coastal Carolina, it has real potential.

As to CUSA, the big outlayer is UTEP. It is over 500 miles west of the next nearest school and in Mountain Time. It needs to be in the Mountain West.

As to the schools in the main part of Texas, I never saw any potential for most of them. After the pros, Texas A&M, Texas (once it gets a real coach), and so on suck up all the attention, there just is not anybody left to care. Really, remember people to a degree self-select their school. If you really cared about sports, why would you go to UTSA or UNT in the first place?

As to Florida, I don't think either team will ever be great, but it gives us an annual trip to not only a hot recruiting ground, but just a nice trip for the kids to enjoy.

Reactions: Chris McLaughlin
Charlie is a good coach, he just inherited a roster full of shit heads but once his players take over the program and he has a coaching staff that isn't pussies he will have them turned around.

Reactions: ohio herd
And your right with UTSA, I was hoping that could be a competitive in the West and being the only football team in the city. I was in San Antonio at the beginning of January and there was nothing about UTSA unlike when I was in El Paso and Houston (UH had a billboard as soon as you enter Houston on the I-10 saying they are Houston's college football team.

UTSA needs to establish themselves as San Antonio's college team.

But at the same time the entire G5 needs to be reconfigured into 4 14-16 team conferences and ban all games against 1AA schools

Coastal Carolina has already announced they are moving to IA in football and the are going to the Sunbelt.

The Sunbelt could become as good or better than CUSA, IMO. Coastal is already better than Charlotte. App State is better than 75% of CUSA. And GA Southern is up there as well. I would take Arkansas State over most of the Texas teams in CUSA.

Last edited:
Idaho should've never moved up from FCS. They should go back to the Big Sky Conference.

It will be argued that UTSA brings in another Texas school to help out Rice, UTEP and North Texas for scheduling and the rest of the conference for recruiting.

However, the San Antonio media market is more important to CUSA. So I doubt they are going anywhere. The same goes for UNCC and FIU.

Coastal Carolina has already announced they are moving to IA in football and the are going to the Sunbelt.

The Sunbelt could become as good or better than CUSA, IMO. Coastal is already better than Charlotte. App State is better than 75% of CUSA. And GA Southern is up there as well. I would take Arkansas State over most of the Texas teams in CUSA.

Don't know how the two schools compare, but would be interesting to know how they stack up in terms of enrollment, facilities, fan support, and overall sports programs. I'm talking about Arkansas State and UALR (Little Rock). I say that because going into this week, UALR was something like 25-3 in basketball, having a hell of a season. Guess Ark. State has had a solid football program for some time.

If I could realign:

CUSA North
Marshall
Old Dominion
Charlotte
App State
Western Kentucky
Middle Tennessee

CUSA South
Southern Miss
LA Tech
LA-Lafayette
Florida Atlantic
Rice
Arkansas State

Like I have said CUSA made a huge mistake adding ODU and UNCC.

We should have either stayed at 12 or put the death knell into the Sun Belt by Adding Appy, Ga Southern, ULL, and Arkansas State
Both ODU and Charlotte are nearly double the size of Marshall. Both in growing areas with fertile recruiting area. They will both continue growth and be a real asset to CUSA

Reactions: ohio herd
Georgia State just looks like UAB to me. Worse actually. Big commuter school in a big city, with students and alumni that just don't care about sports and overshadowed by the local team from the Greatest Conference In The History Of The World just down the road. Lost in the agate type on the sports page. Additionally complicated in Atlanta by Georgia Tech across town and the pro teams.

ODU might have some potential. It is prety far from UVA and VPI, who are not world beaters, and it is a very big metro area to not have any pro sports. But it needs to step up and quickly. UNCC, we must all admit, was a mistake. Just another commuter college in a big city lost among the engrained teams, NASCAR, and the pros.

Market size is not all that. Otherwise NYU and the University of Chicago would have played for the national championship. Not teams from small towns in Alabama and South Carolina.

Georgia State just looks like UAB to me. Worse actually. Big commuter school in a big city, with students and alumni that just don't care about sports and overshadowed by the local team from the Greatest Conference In The History Of The World just down the road. Lost in the agate type on the sports page. Additionally complicated in Atlanta by Georgia Tech across town and the pro teams.

ODU might have some potential. It is prety far from UVA and VPI, who are not world beaters, and it is a very big metro area to not have any pro sports. But it needs to step up and quickly. UNCC, we must all admit, was a mistake. Just another commuter college in a big city lost among the engrained teams, NASCAR, and the pros.

Market size is not all that. Otherwise NYU and the University of Chicago would have played for the national championship. Not teams from small towns in Alabama and South Carolina.

the irony of marshall people blasting other colleges for being commuter colleges.

the irony of marshall people blasting other colleges for being commuter colleges.

You do KNOW that the big brick things down at the east end of campus are the dorms, right?

Does Marshall have a lot of students from Huntington? Yeah. Do a good number, too many IMHO, treat the school as the "13th -16th grades" ? Yeah.

MU has students from every county of the state. And beyond.

Students self select, to a degree. This is WV. Not Georgia. Not North Carolina. Not Alabama. Not Texas. Not Florida. If you are a sports fan in those states you can self-select towards schools which are not only of great academic merit, but are among the elite sports programs in the country. If sports are not your thing, you can consider other factors, and head for other places. But in WV, it comes down to WVU, an open admissions 4th rate academic college (which does not want you there in the first place) which has acomplished exactly nothing in sports ever. Or Marshall. Or our dying collection of state colleges. It is not the same decision. Many sports oriented people find their way to MU. MU/WVU is in no way the same decision as UAT/UAB or UGa/GSU. It just isn't.

You do KNOW that the big brick things down at the east end of campus are the dorms, right?

lol, there are some looney people on this board, but you're up there my friend. kudos to you!

ps: old dominion, charlotte, georgia state, and uab all have a similar number on-campus/off-campus undergrads as marshall does (gsu is a little lower, but building more as we speak which will put them right at our level or above us).

now, you can go ahead and just ignore that fact because it doesn't fit with your imaginary agenda, but just wanted to put it out there for the other people, the sane ones...

Umm, OK?

I can name schools that are 100% on-campus required. And nobody gives a flying flip about sports. The students self-select there. And they don't care about sports at 18, and they still don't care about sports at 48. I can name schools that are virtually zero (or even actually zero) dorms where the students, and alumni, are sports mad. Because they self-selected the school and sports weighed as a big factor for them.

Fact is, if you live in NC (and cannot afford private or out-of-state) and you are looking for a four year traditional college experience, included in that being major college sports, you head toward Raleigh or Chapel Hill. You just do. If that is not your thing, then you consider other options. It is the way the world works. In bigger states, with more college options.

Umm, OK?

I can name schools that are 100% on-campus required. And nobody gives a flying flip about sports. The students self-select there. And they don't care about sports at 18, and they still don't care about sports at 48. I can name schools that are virtually zero (or even actually zero) dorms where the students, and alumni, are sports mad. Because they self-selected the school and sports weighed as a big factor for them.

Fact is, if you live in NC (and cannot afford private or out-of-state) and you are looking for a four year traditional college experience, included in that being major college sports, you head toward Raleigh or Chapel Hill. You just do. If that is not your thing, then you consider other options. It is the way the world works. In bigger states, with more college options.

funny-cocoa-puffs-mens-just-cuckoo-no-cocoa-puffs-rock-fun-crazy-insane-joke-college-humor-t-shir-f06649.jpg

Now would be the time for the Sun Belt and C-USA to either merge; or re-divy the teams...for the good of both leagues. Go East and West; merge their west teams with ours, our east teams with theirs...

This wouldn't hurt anything competitively, and make both conferences more financially stable. Simple example, trade 4 Texas schools for Ga State, Ga Southern, Appy State and Costal Carolina. Done, and great competition improvement for fans in all four cases.

Since when does campus size mean your good or valuable in Sports??

the guy thinks marshall is not a commuter school because we have some dorms on campus, but uab, charlotte, odu, and gsu are commuter schools even though they have dorms on campus. logic defies him.

I'm surprised that they can just vote a team out of a conference. I don't know if that is the rule in CUSA or not.

It does make the SBC a more compact league. Keep your eye on Coastal Carolina, it has real potential.

As to CUSA, the big outlayer is UTEP. It is over 500 miles west of the next nearest school and in Mountain Time. It needs to be in the Mountain West.

As to the schools in the main part of Texas, I never saw any potential for most of them. After the pros, Texas A&M, Texas (once it gets a real coach), and so on suck up all the attention, there just is not anybody left to care. Really, remember people to a degree self-select their school. If you really cared about sports, why would you go to UTSA or UNT in the first place?

As to Florida, I don't think either team will ever be great, but it gives us an annual trip to not only a hot recruiting ground, but just a nice trip for the kids to enjoy.

Schools have always been voted out of conferences, it just doesn't happen a lot. Temple was voted out of the Big East. I believe Tulane was voted out of the SEC although that was a long time ago. 1966 I think. FIU is a pair of cement shoes for CUSA. Charlotte had no business being added either.

Reactions: WV_Celt
If it were all about student numbers and markets, UCF would be in the SEC. The size of school doesn't mean squat. UNCC and ODU have not impressed me in the least, in anything.

If it were all about student numbers and markets, UCF would be in the SEC. The size of school doesn't mean squat. UNCC and ODU have not impressed me in the least, in anything.

i'd argue the size of the school does indeed mean something, it just doesn't mean everything.

if marshall takes $100 from every student for athletics, that's $1.2m. if ucf takes $100 from every student for athletics, that's $5m

you guys still going on about "potential"? seriously?

here is a list of FBS schools (going back to 1930) by year they started playing football:

Charlotte 2013
UTSA 2011
Georgia State 2010
Old Dominion 2009
South Alabama 2009
FIU 2002
Florida Atlantic 2001
South Florida 1997
UCF 1979
UNLV 1968
Air Force 1955
Louisiana-Monroe 1951
Florida State 1947
Houston 1946
Boise State 1933
ECU 1932

it takes decades to develop a fanbase....and it takes decades of WINNING to keep that fanbase interested. UCF has been playing football since 1979. they play in a city with a metro population of 2.3 million. they have the largest student body of any school in the country (60,767). they went 12-1 winning the Fiesta Bowl in 2013. the following season they averaged 37,812 per game.... because nobody cares. now consider UCF has had some very good success for a G5 school in their history. so how exactly is another UTSA, Georgia State, ODU, Charlotte, et al supposed to be anything more than a field filler for the next 40 years?

Reactions: WV_Celt
you guys still going on about "potential"? seriously?

here is a list of FBS schools (going back to 1930) by year they started playing football:

Charlotte 2013
UTSA 2011
Georgia State 2010
Old Dominion 2009
South Alabama 2009
FIU 2002
Florida Atlantic 2001
South Florida 1997
UCF 1979
UNLV 1968
Air Force 1955
Louisiana-Monroe 1951
Florida State 1947
Houston 1946
Boise State 1933
ECU 1932

it takes decades to develop a fanbase....and it takes decades of WINNING to keep that fanbase interested. UCF has been playing football since 1979. they play in a city with a metro population of 2.3 million. they have the largest student body of any school in the country (60,767). they went 12-1 winning the Fiesta Bowl in 2013. the following season they averaged 37,812 per game.... because nobody cares. now consider UCF has had some very good success for a G5 school in their history. so how exactly is another UTSA, Georgia State, ODU, Charlotte, et al supposed to be anything more than a field filler for the next 40 years?

i don't disagree with your premise, but ucf is a bad example. yeah, ucf has been around for more than 35 years, but a large portion of that was spend a d3/d2/fcs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT