ADVERTISEMENT

Supposedly Kim Caldwell is …

!!!!!!! Hoo boy - I am not even going to go there!! Got skewered (deserved) after the Huff debacle.
Let’s just say someone who lives in Htgn that is friends w/many people
Im not saying your wrong I just have my doubts on both sides. I’ve seen it many times people quoting it on social media saying they’d like her to be interviewed but…

With the comments she made about stress and wasn’t sure if she was ready to come up to D1 during the season to then get pummeled by Virginia Tech in the round of 64 which is the talent level she’d be facing everyday in the SEC. As well as then tasked to be at one of the most prestigious WBB universities in the country who has never missed an NCAA tournament appearance in the 43 years the women’s tournament has been around. I personally don’t see Kim thinking this is the right jump for her. Not saying she can’t it’s just a big ask and a risk to your career if it flops this early on.

I find it hard to believe Tennessee with their expectations to interview Kim coming out of year 1 in the sunbelt with a 42 point loss in the NCAA tournament. Not saying you’re wrong and can’t say she couldn’t do it. I personally Tennessee is looking for more experience

If she is getting an interview, good for her, that is awesome.

But I would think that Tennessee, which is absolutely desperate to get back to being a top-10 program, would want to poach a proven coach from another P5.

My mom and dad have Lady Vols season tickets every year and that fanbase is right there with UConn in terms of diehards when it comes to women's basketball. You could make an argument that UT is a top 3-4 job in the country -- money, facilities, recruiting area, tradition, etc.

I am one of the biggest Kim Caldwell fans. But I would be stunned if they hire her.

Tennessee is a top level women's job with as good as pay as you are going to get. I would think with some uncertainty in the conference situation that the head coaches at Louisville, NC State or Oregon State would be in front of Kim and would want that job.

I mean if Kentucky, which doesn't have the history of what TN does, can hire Kenny Brooks away from VT a year after taking them to the Final Four, then the Vols will be setting their sites high. I agree if she were to be somehow offered the job, then she has to take it.

UT is a blue blood of women’s basketball. They’re going to think they can hire anybody they want from the Women’s BBall world.

A winner is a winner. I have no doubt we’ll lose her sooner rather than later.

But not to one of the best jobs in Women’s Basketball at any level.

Reactions: Robs_Coffee_Mug
Tennessee Women's Basketball is maybe the most dominate and consistently good program in their sport of any team in the WORLD (they have only in recent years dropped off a little...hence the firing). They've made the NCAA tournament and have been ranked every year since the NCAA began sanctioning women's sports...thanks in large part to Pat Summit.

Is there any sports team that has consistently been this good since their inception?: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/tennessee/women/

Reactions: Robs_Coffee_Mug
If she is getting an interview, good for her, that is awesome.

But I would think that Tennessee, which is absolutely desperate to get back to being a top-10 program, would want to poach a proven coach from another P5.
This is unless Tennessee has a similar AD as Marshall… no reason to poach a proven coach when the assistant has already learned the wealth of knowledge and how to properly run a successful program from the exiting head coach…

Reactions: RhinoD
I am sure she will go through the process but doubt TN would pull the trigger on a coach who's only been D1 for a year and runs an unorthodox system.
Would hate to lose her.

Marshall needs to elevate its status as a University first. The Coaching has been elevated. Establish consistency in winning tradition. Inspire contributions that match the vision on a 5, 10, 15 and 20 year plan to get us to be worthy of P5 conference invite. Marshall has a brand name!

Marshall needs to elevate its status as a University first. The Coaching has been elevated. Establish consistency in winning tradition. Inspire contributions that match the vision on a 5, 10, 15 and 20 year plan to get us to be worthy of P5 conference invite. Marshall has a brand name!
We will never get a P5 invite. Elevating the schools status is an excellent goal though.

The "P5" no longer even exists. SEC, huge gap, B10, small gap, ACC, gap the size of the Pacific Ocean, B12. P12 is dead.

In any event the idea that MU is going to get invited, even to the bottom "P4" conference (the "Big" 12) is not realistic. MU's goal should be to continue to be able to produce quality sports to those interested in them as the NIL (pay the players) and transfer portal (unlimited free agency) ruin sports.

Sam is right... 5 years from now, there will be a P3 (the Pac12 and ACC will either be gone all together or be G5 level leagues). The SEC, Big10 and Big12 will all have 20-24 teams and they will basically play among themselves in football. They may break off into their own division, or they may not, but either way the rest of the current FBS teams won't be premiere on a national scale.

Clemson, Florida State and Miami looking to leave the ACC via the courts has put the final stamp on where this is all headed. The question is can they leave next year, do they have to wait til the grant of rights runs out in 2035, or the most likely scenario a time in between settled by the courts (IE 2030).

It won't change much for us, a great year will still be a great year that ends in a trip to Myrtle Beach, Mobile, Birmingham, etc. An outstanding year may earn us the 12 seed in a playoff where our reward will be a matchup with the 5 seed, on the road, as a two touchdown dog... Either way the goal doesn't change, win the conference we're in and let the chips fall where they may.

I have heard the same rumor.

But like @HerdBy100 said, UT just can't take that big of a gamble right now. They need a proven commodity to catch back up to USCe and LSU.

That said, Kim HAS to take that interview and HAS to take the job if they offer it. No brainers.
I'm a very casual wbb fan but I'm not sure who is more proven thus far with more upside other than some coaches that are tougher to poach or older. Kim's resume is extremely impressive, though

The below links are to articles on UT's rival site (two days old) and Knoxville news (updated yesterday at 5:49 P.M.). Neither one mentions Kim. If she is in fact their next HC the AD did a really good job of keeping this close to his chest.

Sam is right... 5 years from now, there will be a P3 (the Pac12 and ACC will either be gone all together or be G5 level leagues). The SEC, Big10 and Big12 will all have 20-24 teams and they will basically play among themselves in football. They may break off into their own division, or they may not, but either way the rest of the current FBS teams won't be premiere on a national scale.

Clemson, Florida State and Miami looking to leave the ACC via the courts has put the final stamp on where this is all headed. The question is can they leave next year, do they have to wait til the grant of rights runs out in 2035, or the most likely scenario a time in between settled by the courts (IE 2030).

It won't change much for us, a great year will still be a great year that ends in a trip to Myrtle Beach, Mobile, Birmingham, etc. An outstanding year may earn us the 12 seed in a playoff where our reward will be a matchup with the 5 seed, on the road, as a two touchdown dog... Either way the goal doesn't change, win the conference we're in and let the chips fall where they may.
True. I agree with alot of what you are saying. I think it might not be that long. FSU and Clemson have already filed suits. Miami and UNC also want out. That will end the ACC. I can even see the SEC and the Big 10 poaching the Big 12. And creating 2, 24 team super conferences. FSU and UNC want to go to the B10, Clemson to the SEC, Kansas has made no secret they would be interested in joining the B10 and there are also rumors floating that 3-4 SEC schools have expressed interest in WVU due to geography, institutional fit, cultural similarities, national brand, and the Pittsburgh & DC TV markets. I’m guessing 2 years before the next big shift.

with signing day fast approaching could this be a rumor used by someone to sway a recruit?

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
With SEC caliber players, she’s gonna be a tough out for anyone.
She'll have to get the talent and players to play her style. Some may not want to.
Hell of lot different in the SEC than the Belt.

I wonder who her most tenured assistant is?
We may look at that person.

I guess Hubs will bolt as well. Cant see him sticking around here. See ya!

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
She'll have to get the talent and players to play her style. Some may not want to.

I’d do some more outside the box thinking for the next coach. I know the WV Thunder is routinely one of the best girls travel basketball programs in the country. Got built in recruiting for a couple of years as well.

I’d actually bet A LOT of the highest level prospects wouldn’t want to play this style because they’re about getting all the minutes they can, and stats that they can (legacy and help their resume for the WNBA). But then again, in this system you don’t have to have “one and done” players.

But can we also agree that when facing a team that easily handled the press, Caldwell didn’t know what to do?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT