ADVERTISEMENT

Thank goodness for men's soccer and women's basketball.

The question was, will we be able to keep our women's basketball coach down the road... The question is quickly becoming, will we be able to keep her past this season. What she has done is absolutely remarkable in such a short amount of time.

The question was, will we be able to keep our women's basketball coach down the road... The question is quickly becoming, will we be able to keep her past this season. What she has done is absolutely remarkable in such a short amount of time.
I think we'll keep her for several years. Her husband is on Dans staff. If Dan leaves/retires, I look for him to be added to the next staff, or her staff. Her parents lives in P'Burg. She's said she likes it here and loves her job.
Not sure if we keep her for the duration of her 7 year contract but I certainly see at least 4-5 years. If she has big success, I'd say we'll up her pay just like we did for Grassie. jmho

I like where we are going in Softball and the new hire for womens soccer should turn us around in a few seasons. With the new stadium and solid recruiting, baseball is poised to make a turn around as well.

The minor sports are blowing past football and mens b'ball - and I'm OK with that.

I think we'll keep her for several years. Her husband is on Dans staff. If Dan leaves/retires, I look for him to be added to the next staff, or her staff. Her parents lives in P'Burg. She's said she likes it here and loves her job.
Not sure if we keep her for the duration of her 7 year contract but I certainly see at least 4-5 years. If she has big success, I'd say we'll up her pay just like we did for Grassie. jmho

I like where we are going in Softball and the new hire for womens soccer should turn us around in a few seasons. With the new stadium and solid recruiting, baseball is poised to make a turn around as well.

The minor sports are blowing past football and mens b'ball - and I'm OK with that.
I hope you are right... But it would be hard to turn down some big time program if they come calling.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
WBB- She will be here for some time. The turnaround is fine, but its mid-January, and the non-conference was 4-5 vs. DI competition. The average NCAA seed for the Sun Belt is 13th. She seems like the right person, but I don't think she is currently on any ACC/SEC/B10 radars. See me in three or four years.

W Soccer - Know very little about the hire. W soccer, which Title IX means every school plays it, puts us in competition with schools with a lot more resources, but I still think we can build a competitive team.

Softball - We have "invested" (spent) a fortune on this sport. But I do like the direction. Really softball can be dominated by one good pitcher.

Baseball - There are limits. This is the north, or the midwest, or the upper south, or whatever you want to classify it as. Nationally, and in conference, we are in competition with places where the weather is perfect year round, in a sport that, as a college sport, is played way too early. You are not going to be in play for players that places like USM or CCU want. The coach is a retread crony of the non-leader AD.

I may not have interpreted what Coach Kim stated in her post game correctly, but it sounded like she said the players talk things over at half time, leaders speak up, and coaches huddle separately. Unique, if true?

The rest of our athletics are a shitshow.

Football been to three straight bowl games and bringing in a ton of talent and played more games last year in national tv that ever

B-ball coming off the most regular season wins in school history

Baseball with a brand new stadium

Softball coming off a stupid good year and just hired a local legend

Yep. Marshall athletics sure does suck.

You answered your own question.

Football been to three straight bowl games and bringing in a ton of talent and played more games last year in national tv that ever

If you think our football and men's basketball programs are in good shape you're a moron.

We need Coach C to take over the men’s bb coaching position. She’d school DD in the press and teaching bb fundamentals which the men’s squad lacks. The women hustle, take good shots, play tough D and above all crash the boards. Not sure the men could keep pace in her system.

football coach is on the hot seat and if he doesn't win next year, he will be gone. Finished last in the division.

basketball coach is still the coach because of nepotism.

Yehh, they are in good shape.

The idea that our MBB or football programs are not at rock bottom is pure childish delusion. Marshall is the besteeest eveeeeeer!!! Meaningless rants of a child.

No one can think that both coaches should not be fired. Neither are performing up to the minimum standard required.

As to baseball, after the first couple of series, its back to families and girlfriends. After a tiny handful of programs, almost all in the deep south, the live gate numbers for baseball are in the 100s. And most big time programs don't even charge admission.

Last edited:
As to baseball, after the first couple of series, its back to families and girlfriends. After a tiny handful of programs, almost all in the deep south, the live gate numbers for baseball are in the 100s. And most big time programs don't even charge admission.
What does it matter to you? You don’t go to any Marshall sporting events at all. Lol

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
The idea that our MBB or football programs are not at rock bottom is pure childish delusion. Marshall is the besteeest eveeeeeer!!! Meaningless rants of a child.
What happened to “it’s childish to expect Marshall to win every game”? I thought other conference schools also tried hard to win and only children should expect Marshall to win.

Marshall athletics are just not for you.

After a tiny handful of programs, almost all in the deep south, the live gate numbers for baseball are in the 100s.
Fake news. 75 programs - which is 25% of D1 pro games - averaged over 1000 fans per game. 26 programs averaged over 3000 fans per game.

Tons of schools with worse or similar weather to Marshall averaged over 1000 fans per game including plenty of small athletic schools.

And most big time programs don't even charge admission.
That may be the dumbest and most incorrect thing you’ve ever said on here. Tell us what big time D1 baseball programs don’t charge admission.

Reactions: rvntx and MStap
We constantly hear people complain that attendance will be terrible for baseball because of the cold weather. While, of course, it is not comparable to Florida or the like for spring games, it is not exactly like we are in upper North Dakota. Our first home game is in March and the average high for March is 58 degrees with most early March games being played mid-day or early evening.

If we can field a solid team and create a fan friendly environment, I think baseball can have very good crowds. We did just have 2,219 for women's basketball when the high was 18 degrees and there was a snow storm the day before.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
We constantly hear people complain that attendance will be terrible for baseball because of the cold weather. While, of course, it is not comparable to Florida or the like for spring games, it is not exactly like we are in upper North Dakota. Our first home game is in March and the average high for March is 58 degrees with most early March games being played mid-day or early evening.

If we can field a solid team and create a fan friendly environment, I think baseball can have very good crowds. We did just have 2,219 for women's basketball when the high was 18 degrees and there was a snow storm the day before.
I agree in premise... I think baseball will draw well for the first game or two, and then for conference play, once the weather is better in April/May.

But college baseball is a niche market. There are places that love it, the SEC, ACC, Pac12... Then the traditionally good smaller schools - Coastal, Rice, Southern Miss, Georgia Southern, San Diego State, etc.

The question is, do we love it?... We've never had the opportunity to answer that question because for years baseball was an afterthought playing at St. Cloud, Kinetic Park, Charleston, etc. Now that they will have a quality venue, in Huntington, I'm interested to see what the sustained fan support is like over the next 4-5 years.

What does it matter to you? You don’t go to any Marshall sporting events at all. Lol
Why are you going there. Some non-Marshall troll starts spewing lies about people he disagrees with and you jump on it. You are a better poster than that.

Maybe, just maybe your trolling type posts are the ones that should go away. I'm simply pointing out what YOU have claimed or asserted here. If you get "offended" take it up with your therapist.
Only a non-Marshall troll like you needs a therapist. It's why you're here so often as a result of your children not wanting to spend time with you. Children learning from another child. Marshall is the besteeest eveeeeeer!!! Meaningless rants of a child.

Go away, troll.

Only a non-Marshall troll like you needs a therapist. It's why you're here so often as a result of your children not wanting to spend time with you. Children learning from another child. Marshall is the besteeest eveeeeeer!!! Meaningless rants of a child.

Go away, troll.
So you are admitting the claims YOU make are misinformed lies and that when I point those instances out, you meltdown in a way we can read above ^^^.

"Bestest Eveeer"??? What are you even trying to claim now? One minute you claim I'm a WVU troll, the next, you're rambling I am a super fan suggesting Marshall is the bestest everrr??? You are a weird, struggling neurotic.

And yes, attempting to bring someone's kids or family into a discussion that had zero/nothing to do with the thread demonstrates just how weird and childish YOU are. You have no idea about me or my family. More lies and rambling (your trademark). What kind of "man" are you? I'm a Marshall fan on a message board. If you're too insecure to handle it...leave. Maybe you should take some time away from the board. You clearly need some help.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Geesh. You guys are so mean to each other. You should all follow the respect and way that I address W-S HerdFan as an example of how to treat people better.

• Haha
Reactions: ThunderCat98
I think we can add women's tennis to this list. From what I understand this is our best team in a decade with the entire team returning off a semi-final appearance last year. WVU tomorrow will be another good measuring stick, but I know the coaches full expect these ladies to be challenging for a conference title.

I think we can add women's tennis to this list. From what I understand this is our best team in a decade with the entire team returning off a semi-final appearance last year. WVU tomorrow will be another good measuring stick, but I know the coaches full expect these ladies to be challenging for a conference title.
I'm a tennis guy and follow them closely. They're very, very good this year and play a very tough schedule. They've already played #12 UVA and still have WVU, Va Tech, Louisville, Northwestern, Illinois and Maryland on the OOC schedule.

Yeah, we could tell, based on your football and basketball takes. j/k
Season 4 Reaction GIF by grown-ish

• Haha
Reactions: HerdGrad1999
The Mercer's have kept the tennis team very competitive for decades. It is one of our best overall program over the last 30 years and definitely the most consistently competitive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT