ADVERTISEMENT

The Search for the Athletic Director

Marshall wins its only National Championship in any sport, ever... "Pay whatever it costs to keep coach around!"

One year later, after another NCAA tourney appearance... "We pay our soccer coach too much!"

Some of you guys are off the rails. Lol

This is just my opinion no better no worse than anyone else.
But our soccer team won a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP in the highest level of college competition. They beat some powerhouse soccer programs to do it. From my perspective that gets you a lifetime contract and a guarantee you should be paid in the top 10 of soccer coaches in the country.

I would feel the same way about any of our non football or basketball coaches. Softball, baseball, track, volleyball. To win a national championship at the highest level of competition at Marshall cannot be overstated. It is an incredible accomplishment.

Marshall football will never win a national championship in FBS football or DI basketball. That doesn’t mean we should accept mediocrity either. But it is the truth. But to pay our NC soccer coach less in order to pay a football OC more where the best that OC could do would be to help us win the Sunbelt and maybe an Access bowl but nothing close to a NC is silly.

so if I like your post, that would make me brilliant? LOl
if MU took the money we are paying a soccer coach, we could have gone out and found a real OC!!! and at worse soccer attendance would only go down by less than 1000!

I really don't have to do much to show how dumb of a person you're being.
MU fires the one coach who won MU a national championship and has made MU a top 10 team in the process, to set aside money for an OC...in an unrelated sport.
You really are an idiot.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
I really don't have to do much to show how dumb of a person you're being.
MU fires the one coach who won MU a national championship and has made MU a top 10 team in the process, to set aside money for an OC...in an unrelated sport.
You really are an idiot.
Who said anything about firing?? You don’t have to give him that kind of raise. And if he walks?? Does anyone out of the 25701 really care??

Who said anything about firing?? You don’t have to give him that kind of raise. And if he walks?? Does anyone out of the 25701 really care??
We could spend millions more on the precious football program and be no more successful than we are - which isn’t anything to brag about the last 5-6 years.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
I think it is great Grassy got the big contract, but guarantee if he doesn't produce it will be the last contract he gets like that. National Championship is huge, but this is a what have you done for me lately business. Just ask DD.

I think it is great Grassy got the big contract, but guarantee if he doesn't produce it will be the last contract he gets like that. National Championship is huge, but this is a what have you done for me lately business. Just ask DD.
Well, he continued to have MU ranked as high as #1 in the nation.

DD went completely downhill after his win, which was ages ago when compared to Grassie.

Marshall wins its only National Championship in any sport, ever... "Pay whatever it costs to keep coach around!"

One year later, after another NCAA tourney appearance... "We pay our soccer coach too much!"

Some of you guys are off the rails. Lol
Makes me relieved they aren't in charge...good lord they'd be worse to MU than anyone who's actually been at the helm.

Wonder what the delay is? They announced the four finalists. Still waiting to conduct interviews? Seems like President Smith would like to get moving with this hire.

so you think they are really 'fake' finalists ?
I think he assumes the "in-house" candidate, who interviewed last week has no chance... The three outside hire "real" candidates are interviewing this week... We should know something by next Friday.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I think he assumes the "in-house" candidate, who interviewed last week has no chance... The three outside hire "real" candidates are interviewing this week... We should know something by next Friday.
I thought the other 3 they did by zoom

We need to go on the outside and do a national search. The problem with people at Marshall and Huntington they get the warm and fuzzy feeling and do not want change. I'm a Marshall guy that looks outside the box. The department needs new thoughts and ideas. We are stagnant in many areas within the athletic department. We need someone that can generate money and increase the bottom line in all sports.

The decision has been made. Now they are debating between Dollar general, Family Dollar, or just a plain old Kroger bag for the shirt.
Just could be, BisonPa, that the real reason for the delay is that, in a fit of spite, Mike Hamrick took every damn PLASTIC BAG on and around the MU campus with him when he departed Huntington!! :)

I thought the other 3 they did by zoom
The candidates will want to see the campus, facilities, etc. Talk to people on campus. I know I would. I am sure the prelims were Zoom, but getting down to the nitty gritty, gotta go in person.

Hell, they may get here, get culture shock and say No thanks!

• Wow
We need to go on the outside and do a national search. The problem with people at Marshall and Huntington they get the warm and fuzzy feeling and do not want change. I'm a Marshall guy that looks outside the box. The department needs new thoughts and ideas. We are stagnant in many areas within the athletic department. We need someone that can generate money and increase the bottom line in all sports.
I would think hiring a minority football coach from Alabama, outside the box. Hiring a President from silicon valley and not academia, outside the box. Three of the final four candidates being from PA, NY, and Washington state outside the box.

The problem with many fans of Marshall is they always want to be negative.

I would think hiring a minority football coach from Alabama, outside the box. Hiring a President from silicon valley and not academia, outside the box. Three of the final four candidates being from PA, NY, and Washington state outside the box.

All the things you listed have happened within the last year. Historically, we haven't thought outside the box. It's good to see we are, and moving forward. If not, we would really fall further behind.

Although I don't think it will happen, I also think in this day and age that hiring a 20 year veteran in your organization who knows where the issues are, has proven nationally that he can help lead, and has a matching personality with the new leaders in the university would be outside the box thinking too. To think that talent only comes from outside the organization is a great way to destroy the commitment of folks working for their chance. How many of you would stay in your organizations if you knew you could never be promoted, or have accountability increases in your role?

Reactions: Marco93
All the things you listed have happened within the last year. Historically, we haven't thought outside the box. It's good to see we are, and moving forward. If not, we would really fall further behind.
But they have happened, and are in the present not the past. History is history, although many in Huntington like to live in the past. How many times on these boards do we hear about the interstate, the mall....etc.... For the record I have been guilty of this too.

My guess is if Jeff gets the job, some will come on here complaining about the good ole boy network. Despite the fact that Brad Smith had the final say.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
But they have happened, and are in the present not the past. History is history, although many in Huntington like to live in the past. How many times on these boards do we hear about the interstate, the mall....etc....

My guess is if Jeff gets the job, some will come on here complaining about the good ole boy network. Despite the fact that Brad Smith had the final say.
I trust Brad on this. He knows what he wants. If that’s O’Malley, good for him and let’s roll. I hope this whole process provides the athletic dept with new energy, new ideas and a new chapter to move forward and grow.

Although I don't think it will happen, I also think in this day and age that hiring a 20 year veteran in your organization who knows where the issues are, has proven nationally that he can help lead, and has a matching personality with the new leaders in the university would be outside the box thinking too. To think that talent only comes from outside the organization is a great way to destroy the commitment of folks working for their chance. How many of you would stay in your organizations if you knew you could never be promoted, or have accountability increases in your role?
Sometimes when you work within a fishbowl, you don’t see anything on the outside - new ideas, new trends, etc. and get a feeling that all is good and whats being done presently is sufficient and right. This is how I view the Schewey - right or wrong. I do see this whole process as very beneficial for the AD, whether JO is hired or not.

as well as one from New Jersey

Sometimes when you work within a fishbowl, you don’t see anything on the outside - new ideas, new trends, etc. and get a feeling that all is good and whats being done presently is sufficient and right. This is how I view the Schewey - right or wrong. I do see this whole process as very beneficial for the AD, whether JO is hired or not.
If you've traveled, worked on national committees, etc., you've not been in a fish bowl; fish can't survive out of the bowl unless in another pool of water. I get your point, but observant fish are always looking out through the glass, wondering what is happening outside the bowl. If you've ever talked to JO, you know that one thing he is, is observant. Anyway, still don't think he'll get the job.

If you've traveled, worked on national committees, etc., you've not been in a fish bowl; fish can't survive out of the bowl unless in another pool of water. I get your point, but observant fish are always looking out through the glass, wondering what is happening outside the bowl. If you've ever talked to JO, you know that one thing he is, is observant. Anyway, still don't think he'll get the job.
Glad he is open to new ideas and takes that stance - we need that. I would hate to lose his experience. We'll see how it all plays out. I'd say it will come down to Jeff and Goodrich.

You're about 6 months too late. I agree wholeheartedly but saying such things now is moot.

perm hire inbound

Marshall's BOG is expected to announce its hire for the permanent athletic director position following its executive session. The meeting starts at 9 a.m.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT