ADVERTISEMENT

Things To Look For

Josh Stowers

Staff Writer
Jan 19, 2007
Alright ladies and gents......You've been waiting on some insight so here are some things to look for tomorrow.

Clearly #14 Cam Fancher is starting the game, but I'd expect at least 1 or 2 other QB's to see the field tomorrow as well. For me, I'd have to think those 1 or 2 would come from the trio of #13 TJ McMahon (Rice), #8 Colin Parachek, or #12 Cole Pennington. I'd say McMahon has the edge but it's a slim margin IMO.

At RB, wait til you see #22 Rasheen Ali! Dude is locked in and in incredible shape. I think we'll see more of #22 Ethan Payne and #25 AJ Turnertomorrow, but I really like #21 Antwan Roberts (JUCO). He's a downhill guy with some attitude.

At WR, you guys are going to like #4 DeMarcus Harris (UK transfer). I'll reiterate what I've been saying since last year. I think #10 Chuck Montgomery has a chance to be really damn good here. I think this group took a step forward overall. I will say this with very tempered expectations, but we may finally see the arrival of #9 Bryan Robinson and #7 Caleb Coombs. Again.....tempered!

At TE, I think #83 Cade Conley (Central Mich) and #88 Rahmod Smith (FAU) are two guys to watch. Smith is a more athletic version of Armani Levias and Conley just looks like a TE.

At OL, you guys already know about #52 Ethan Driskell, #55 Trent Holler, #65 Logan Osburn, and #68 Dalton Tucker. The next two names to watch up front will be #58 Altrique Barlow (TCU) and #51 Lloyd Willis (FSU). I will say, our OL is massive this year averaging about 317lbs between those six guys. The line itself has been reorganized a little bit and you'll see that tomorrow. I think it's made a difference.

Defensively, the new names to watch along the front are #54 Kylen McCracken (Ohio), #7 Chris Thomas (Florida), #15 Mike Green (UVA), and #88 Brandon McElroy (ASU). McCracken and McElroy both bring a steady presence to the room, but I think Thomas and Green (especially) have big futures at Marshall. Green is a freak!!!!

At LB, I think we'll see the biggest impacts early on from #44 KeSean Brown (App St) and #14 Stephen Dix Jr (FSU). Both of those guys can run! Speaking of, I think this defense will be the fastest we've had since 2014. #7 Tah Mac Bright (JUCO)is a guy that has all the tools to be really good as well. I his play will improve as the year goes on. Possibly the biggest surprise here for me is #25 J'Coryan Anderson though. Anderson has worked himself into a starting role alongside Eli Neal after not seeing the field as much early on in his career.

In the secondary, I think this group COULD be very, very good. They're long. They're athletic. They compete. #11 JJ Roberts (Wake Forest), although new to the roster, provides a quiet leadership from the safety position. #13 Daytione Smith has shifted back to safety alongside Roberts, and I really think it's made us faster. #23 Jahsen Wint (Ohio St), #3 Ish Ibraheem (Texas), and #1 Josh Moten (Texas A&M) will all undoubtedly see the field. I actually think Ibraheem will start opposite Micah Abraham and either Wint or Moten could see the majority of the time at the nickel. Two names I think that are wild cards here are #18 AG McGheeand #41 Ahmere Foster. Both displayed playmaking ability throughout camp.

At Kicker, I think we'll see both guys (#90 Rece Verhoff and #99 Kameron Lake) kick tomorrow. I will say this much, length may no longer be an issue with our kicking game. I witnessed both guys make kicks from 50-plus (Verhoff from 58).

The punting game is still in #45 John McConnell'shands, but that could change as the season goes on. Huff went all the way to the Land From Down Under to recruit a punter (to be named later) and by most accounts, he has a monster leg.

The return game will likely be in the hands of #1 Talik Keaton and #3 Mason Pierce (McNeese St). Pierce is a small, shifty guy that looks like a water bug out there. He could be fun!

Feel free to hit me with any questions that you may have, and I'll answer them the best I can. If I don't respond, it's simply because I don't feel like I can speak on the topic.

See you guys tomorrow!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News