ADVERTISEMENT

Want to help donate $6million/year to Marshall University?

FlyHawk98

Bronze Buffalo
Oct 27, 2011
Sign this petition to evenly distribute the pop tax in the state of West Virginia. We are already paying the tax, and as of right now, all of the money has been going to WVU School of Medicine. It right now adds up to around $12million/year. So Marshall is missing out on $6million/year, every single year.

Huntington is the 2nd largest city in the state, so why is our part of the state not also benefitting from this?

We have all had loved ones get medical treatment in Huntington.

This would not only help Marshall University's Joan C Edwards School of Medicine, but this in turn bring better medical opportunities to the citizens in our part of the state.

Only takes 2 minutes to sign the petition. Sign it, share it, and get your friends/family to sign it as well.

https://www.change.org/p/west-virgi...2-and-distribute-the-state-tax-revenue-evenly

Reactions: Herdon2
I believe there was proposal in the WV legislature (in 2013) to increase the POP tax and share the increase with Marshall and other school(s). However, the bill was either not voted on (stuck in committee) or not passed.

Mike...Go Herd!

I believe there was proposal in the WV legislature (in 2013) to increase the POP tax and share the increase with Marshall and other school(s). However, the bill was either not voted on (stuck in committee) or not passed.

Mike...Go Herd!

Similar proposals have been advanced in the past and have never made to the legislature's floor for a vote, including raising the tax by one penny (to two pennies), with WVUSoM keeping the same revenue share (one penny) and MUSoM and WVSOM splitting the other penny 50-50. The folks with WVUSoM pitched a fit (big surprise) and demanded that any increase in the tax would also go to WVUSoM. The last year that I remember this type of proposal advancing was around 2007 or so, and the projected tax revenue would have been $28-30 million, which would have resulted in WVUSoM receiving $14-15 million, and MUSoM and WVSOM each receiving $7-7.5 million. It was at least the second (and probably the third) time such a proposal was publicly discussed, after discussions of sharing the one penny failed for much of the 80s and 90s.

FWIW.

Well I am going to pick up this torch and continue to fight on in the name of Marshall University, and the citizens in which it serves.

All I'm asking if for everyone to sign the petition, and get your friends and family to do the same.

I will spend the countless hours making phone calls, and driving to meet with our elected officials. I'm seriously willing to do all of this on my own and out of my own pocket.

There would be no reason for me to do it unless our community shows enough interest for change. This is something I am willing to fight for. I'm willing to spend the next decade on this if need be.

signed. Of course, best thing would be to quit drinking soda, and dry up this particular revenue stream altogether!

^^^ I havent drank pop in almost 10 years believe it or not lol.

BTW, keep sharing and signing the petition. Channel 13 News contacted me about potentially doing a story on this.

We can do this guys.

^^^ I havent drank pop in almost 10 years believe it or not lol.

BTW, keep sharing and signing the petition. Channel 13 News contacted me about potentially doing a story on this.

We can do this guys.
I seldom drink soda either but I have signed this petition because I know many out there do.

I just did an interview with Channel 13 News.

Be sure to keep sharing and signing the petition.

Want to do some good for people... do away with the destructive and harmful state Lottery that preys on the vulnerable. Of course, if you do that, Marshall couldn't get any more free $25 million handouts from the state for engineering buildings that did not go to other schools, while appropriations for higher education were being reduced for everyone.

That pop tax was put in place in the 1950s for a specific purpose, and it continues to serve that purpose. It has nothing to do with Marshall.

You guys really need to find something else to carp about... maybe get the Legislature to find more money for buildings, and stop trying to attack another school's revenue stream. That really does not speak well for the Marshall folks who do that. As far as I know, nobody in Morgantown is starting a movement to reduce Marshall's funding... yet, but you might give them some ideas here. Just sayin'. The schools need to be working together to raise funding overall to everyone's benefit, not going after each other. It is entirely possible that Marshall would come out on the short end of the stick in such a p*ssing contest. Bob Plymale has lost a lot of clout in recent months.

So you are saying all of the WVU facilities/buildings were built with private funds? Congrats, that's impressive.

Want to do some good for people... do away with the destructive and harmful state Lottery that preys on the vulnerable. Of course, if you do that, Marshall couldn't get any more free $25 million handouts from the state for engineering buildings that did not go to other schools, while appropriations for higher education were being reduced for everyone.

That pop tax was put in place in the 1950s for a specific purpose, and it continues to serve that purpose. It has nothing to do with Marshall.

You guys really need to find something else to carp about... maybe get the Legislature to find more money for buildings, and stop trying to attack another school's revenue stream. That really does not speak well for the Marshall folks who do that. As far as I know, nobody in Morgantown is starting a movement to reduce Marshall's funding... yet, but you might give them some ideas here. Just sayin'. The schools need to be working together to raise funding overall to everyone's benefit, not going after each other. It is entirely possible that Marshall would come out on the short end of the stick in such a p*ssing contest. Bob Plymale has lost a lot of clout in recent months.

No the pop tax does NOT continue to serve that purpose. The tax was created to help START a medical school. It was not intended to continue only funding WVU.

It is outdated and needs to be re-evaluated.

Why should the people of Huntington be forced to help fund things in Morgantown. Maybe we should just do away with the pop tax state-wide and let the individual cities do what they wish. Huntington has twice the population of Morgantown so I would be ok with this.

Reactions: BT4373
No the pop tax does NOT continue to serve that purpose. The tax was created to help START a medical school. It was not intended to continue only funding WVU.

It is outdated and needs to be re-evaluated.

Why should the people of Huntington be forced to help fund things in Morgantown. Maybe we should just do away with the pop tax state-wide and let the individual cities do what they wish. Huntington has twice the population of Morgantown so I would be ok with this.

Wouldn't your proposal serve a double purpose?

Provide more revenue to MU AND slash funding for the WVU S of M by 50%.

Wouldn't your proposal serve a double purpose?

Provide more revenue to MU AND slash funding for the WVU S of M by 50%.

But CT seemed to infer that WVU doesn't need state funding or dollars (while Marshall does), which is what the Pop tax is basically. That being the case, the cut shouldn't hurt them. Correct?

I don't look at it as slashing anything at WVU. I look at it as FINALLY giving Marshall the funding they rightfully deserve. Funding that WVU has basically stolen (considering the original tax was implemented to HELP START the medical school at WVU.

WVU should be glad that all we are asking for is to start sharing the money from this point on. Not even going to get into the almost $1 BILLION they have received from this tax over the years.

The pop tax is based soley on wvu...and it is a real bad thing to begin with...considering the fatasses that live in WV and the unhealthy lifestyles of most.
But hey, the reason wvu doesn't gripe about Marshall is because they have almost $1 billion in endowment and are still mediocre in academics (see wvu's application to the SEC) so of course they don't have anything to complain about. If it were wvu vs. Texas for state funds, wvu would be complaining like crazy, actually, they did complain in order to boost endowment to begin with, they complain to the state whenever Marshall starts up a program...always have, always will.

Last edited:
I don't look at it as slashing anything at WVU. I look at it as FINALLY giving Marshall the funding they rightfully deserve. Funding that WVU has basically stolen (considering the original tax was implemented to HELP START the medical school at WVU.

WVU should be glad that all we are asking for is to start sharing the money from this point on. Not even going to get into the almost $1 BILLION they have received from this tax over the years.

Let's not forget all the other stuff wvu has stolen...Engineering for example...

But CT seemed to infer that WVU doesn't need state funding or dollars (while Marshall does), which is what the Pop tax is basically. That being the case, the cut shouldn't hurt them. Correct?
That's not what I'm saying at all. That funding is very much a part of the money needed to operate the comprehensive medical school at WVU. What I'm saying is the two schools need to cooperate to get more funding for higher education in general... that would benefit everyone, not go after each others funding in futile endeavors that only serve to make them look bad.

With cooperation, a lot can be done. Efforts like this one will only breed contempt, possible retribution, and negative results to nobody's advantage.

That logic only seems to apply CT whenever it benefits WVU. Lord knows WVU has done everything under the sun to limit MU growth in general and the medical school history is a prime example.

Can't have it both ways. WVU must look as bad to you as your perception of MU then given their lack of cooperation. Or perhaps your filter only allows you to create arguments that favor the school up north? Considering your posting history here and on city-data.com where you make practically every argument about MU/WVU in spite of it being a forum about Huntington, it's probably your bias and less reasoned argument on your part.

CT is to energy wasting in pointless arguments as WVU is to wasting tax dollars. Both parties only care about what benefits them and have no interest in cooperation.

Both parties only care about what benefits them and have no interest in cooperation.

Marshall's answer to more $ lies within your post.

Of course, "both parties only care about what benefits them..." That's natural and obvious. Don't ever expect anything different in politics and money.

The trick is arranging a deal where both parties benefit at the same time. WVU will benefit without Marshall's help. Maybe Marshall can only benefit more with WVU's help? That means making sure WVU gets something out of the deal, not finger-pointing and whining jealously about what WVU has, what WVU gets, etc.

That's something Marshall doesn't understand and never really tries to do.

Just my opinion...

You mean like sharing the pop tax? The original purpose of this post. At least tack on another penny and send it to Huntington.

Marshall's answer to more $ lies within your post.

Of course, "both parties only care about what benefits them..." That's natural and obvious. Don't ever expect anything different in politics and money.

The trick is arranging a deal where both parties benefit at the same time. WVU will benefit without Marshall's help. Maybe Marshall can only benefit more with WVU's help? That means making sure WVU gets something out of the deal, not finger-pointing and whining jealously about what WVU has, what WVU gets, etc.

That's something Marshall doesn't understand and never really tries to do.

Just my opinion...
Absolutely right. Look... I don't want to start an argument, but if you have an open mind you will want to look at the facts, not at emotionally charged jealousy. Colleges inherently have a culture of cooperation. Trying to take something another college already has flies in the face of that, and it will never be accepted.

Even if that were right (and I certainly don't believe that to be the case), you have about as much chance of taking any portion of WVU's LONG established money pipeline (established many years before Marshall had anything to do with medicine), as you have of hitting the Powerball jackpot. They would pull out all the stops to keep that from happening, and if you actually believe an energized WVU alumni base has no political clout in this state you have to be dreaming. Not only that, you risk causing a backlash as you trigger emotions on the other side.

The WVU administration has demonstrated a willingness to work with all other colleges in the state, not just Marshall, toward a policy that benefits everyone. They reached a consensus with Steve Kopp prior to his death, but unfortunately he is not here to carry that forward. Hopefully the next in line will step to the plate and work together, otherwise everyone suffers. Working together, the institutions of higher learning can get a restoration, and hopefully an increase in funding for all the schools. That is very possible. Stealing WVU's pop tax is not, so stop making yourselves look small by the constant carping. Work together to benefit everyone.

Reactions: jocktalker
Absolutely right. Look... I don't want to start an argument, but if you have an open mind you will want to look at the facts, not at emotionally charged jealousy. Colleges inherently have a culture of cooperation. Trying to take something another college already has flies in the face of that, and it will never be accepted.

Even if that were right (and I certainly don't believe that to be the case), you have about as much chance of taking any portion of WVU's LONG established money pipeline (established many years before Marshall had anything to do with medicine), as you have of hitting the Powerball jackpot. They would pull out all the stops to keep that from happening, and if you actually believe an energized WVU alumni base has no political clout in this state you have to be dreaming. Not only that, you risk causing a backlash as you trigger emotions on the other side.

The WVU administration has demonstrated a willingness to work with all other colleges in the state, not just Marshall, toward a policy that benefits everyone. They reached a consensus with Steve Kopp prior to his death, but unfortunately he is not here to carry that forward. Hopefully the next in line will step to the plate and work together, otherwise everyone suffers. Working together, the institutions of higher learning can get a restoration, and hopefully an increase in funding for all the schools. That is very possible. Stealing WVU's pop tax is not, so stop making yourselves look small by the constant carping. Work together to benefit everyone.

Facts? What facts? All you've done is spew opinionated bullshit on here...

This is exactly why I was surprised the moderators allowed this jackass to be on here.

Long established? Marshall came to the state FIRST for a medical school. The state (at the time) was the only way any program by any university could get funding...you presented it to the legislature and they signed off on it. The legislature is made up of wvu law grads (aka, a joke law school).
What the hell do you think happened?
Marshall was rejected before they could get any funding...

Then a year later, wvu approached the state with the exact same proposal...wvu got funding without a blink of an eye.
The accrediting body came by to formally accredit wvu's med school...took one look at ruby memorial and declared the facilities "lacking in efficiency in supporting a medical school" and rejected their accreditation application. Wvu then asked for a $10 million bailout in order to sufficiently house a medical school...again, no problem for them, the state gave it to them...
Marshall came back, and requested their medical program be given funding, the legislature said, "No, we already have a medical school in the state, we don't need another one."
This was an argument they used 100 times.
Finally, after years of pushing it through, Marshall got their medical school (with no help from the state or wvu that CT, the dumbass claims is all around) and got it up and running.
The accrediting bodies came by...took 1 look at Cabell and gave them accreditation, right then and there...
Marshall needed no money to bailout their program nor did they get any money (because all the legislature does is complain about everything Marshall does, as does wvu).

The pop tax was repeatedly brought before the legislature with Marshall wanting...a MERE PENNY of that tax...with it being rejected.

How is that "willing to work with universities in the state."

The only reason wvu even claims to do such things...is because, besides Marshall, no other school is a "threat" to them to jump ahead in programs...yet, Marshall has the #1 graduate Forensic Science school in AMERICA with Digital Forensics being the only accredited program IN THE WORLD.

wvu does not demonstrate willingness to work with other colleges in the state, if they want something, they simply tell the state to suck funding from a school so they can absorb the program into theirs...the EXACT same thing happened at WV-Tech...who used to have a great engineering program til wvu wanted one...instead of starting one up, they had the state suck funding from Tech...eventually Tech's program was broke...and wvu came swooping in.

Look at the state Tech is in now...they're on life support...

Hell, that ISIS loving oliver luck even has said, "We're looking out for wvu, not the state..."
That says it right there...that wvu is only caring about themselves...and it shows.
The state could be in much, MUCH better shape than it's in...if the legislature had cooperated with Kopp initially and he had gotten funding for biomedical research.
Instead, he kept getting rejected till he finally pushed the programs he wanted, through...since wvu is basically in Pennsylvania and wishes they had the education system of any major PA school, the southwest region, you know, the TRUE WV region, is suffering as a result.
To not see that, I shall quote Dennis Hopper a-la-Speed, "You got blinders on to the world, Jack!"

Fortunately, there's hope...since the feeder school for wvu school of law in the 1990's (since many out-of-staters would prefer to practice in their home state and any education wvu law gives is basically a joke) was Marshall...and those who got into working for the state and doing legislative things, have been able to get their feet wet and have given us some made up political ground. Essential to growth for Marshall.

Oh, and want to know just how dumb wvu law was? If you graduated from their law school, you could practice law in WV without taking the BAR exam...now, it's since changed, but much of the laws that are benefitting wvu, were made during that time...as well as several laws biting the state in the ass right now...because we had people who essentially didn't know what they were doing, calling the shots.

CT, it's pitiful you defend a university like wvu, when you clearly never attended there...and you bash another university in Marshall, when you've clearly never attended there either...

Do us all a favor, move to North Korea.

Facts? What facts? All you've done is spew opinionated bullshit on here...

This is exactly why I was surprised the moderators allowed this jackass to be on here.

Long established? Marshall came to the state FIRST for a medical school. The state (at the time) was the only way any program by any university could get funding...you presented it to the legislature and they signed off on it. The legislature is made up of wvu law grads (aka, a joke law school).
What the hell do you think happened?
Marshall was rejected before they could get any funding...

Then a year later, wvu approached the state with the exact same proposal...wvu got funding without a blink of an eye.
The accrediting body came by to formally accredit wvu's med school...took one look at ruby memorial and declared the facilities "lacking in efficiency in supporting a medical school" and rejected their accreditation application. Wvu then asked for a $10 million bailout in order to sufficiently house a medical school...again, no problem for them, the state gave it to them...
Marshall came back, and requested their medical program be given funding, the legislature said, "No, we already have a medical school in the state, we don't need another one."
This was an argument they used 100 times.
Finally, after years of pushing it through, Marshall got their medical school (with no help from the state or wvu that CT, the dumbass claims is all around) and got it up and running.
The accrediting bodies came by...took 1 look at Cabell and gave them accreditation, right then and there...
Marshall needed no money to bailout their program nor did they get any money (because all the legislature does is complain about everything Marshall does, as does wvu).

The pop tax was repeatedly brought before the legislature with Marshall wanting...a MERE PENNY of that tax...with it being rejected.

How is that "willing to work with universities in the state."

The only reason wvu even claims to do such things...is because, besides Marshall, no other school is a "threat" to them to jump ahead in programs...yet, Marshall has the #1 graduate Forensic Science school in AMERICA with Digital Forensics being the only accredited program IN THE WORLD.

wvu does not demonstrate willingness to work with other colleges in the state, if they want something, they simply tell the state to suck funding from a school so they can absorb the program into theirs...the EXACT same thing happened at WV-Tech...who used to have a great engineering program til wvu wanted one...instead of starting one up, they had the state suck funding from Tech...eventually Tech's program was broke...and wvu came swooping in.

Look at the state Tech is in now...they're on life support...

Hell, that ISIS loving oliver luck even has said, "We're looking out for wvu, not the state..."
That says it right there...that wvu is only caring about themselves...and it shows.
The state could be in much, MUCH better shape than it's in...if the legislature had cooperated with Kopp initially and he had gotten funding for biomedical research.
Instead, he kept getting rejected till he finally pushed the programs he wanted, through...since wvu is basically in Pennsylvania and wishes they had the education system of any major PA school, the southwest region, you know, the TRUE WV region, is suffering as a result.
To not see that, I shall quote Dennis Hopper a-la-Speed, "You got blinders on to the world, Jack!"

Fortunately, there's hope...since the feeder school for wvu school of law in the 1990's (since many out-of-staters would prefer to practice in their home state and any education wvu law gives is basically a joke) was Marshall...and those who got into working for the state and doing legislative things, have been able to get their feet wet and have given us some made up political ground. Essential to growth for Marshall.

Oh, and want to know just how dumb wvu law was? If you graduated from their law school, you could practice law in WV without taking the BAR exam...now, it's since changed, but much of the laws that are benefitting wvu, were made during that time...as well as several laws biting the state in the ass right now...because we had people who essentially didn't know what they were doing, calling the shots.

CT, it's pitiful you defend a university like wvu, when you clearly never attended there...and you bash another university in Marshall, when you've clearly never attended there either...

Do us all a favor, move to North Korea.
Well, I don't really know how to respond to such an uninformed, delusional tirade, but I will say that attitudes like that are part of the problem, not part of the solution. I have no doubt that your position will prevail, based on what has taken place in Huntington in the past, and little progress will be made.

You are correct that Bob Plymale managed to position himself in the right place at the right time to influence decisions about the "sports research" indoor practice facility and taking $25 million from the state lottery for the engineering building, while the rest of the schools in the state took a big hit in state appropriations, but that is about it for your accuracy.

Every school in this state can benefit from a cooperative approach, but if they bickering continues it is pretty clear the gravy train has departed in Huntington. Plymale no longer heads the education committee in the state senate, and there is little money to grab in any case. Both WVU and Marshall are near state boundaries, so it is interesting to see you keep up with the "school in PA" position when others can just as easily say "school in Greenup County".

I don't think logical person would argue that WVU is far better positioned for growth, regardless of what happens in state government, than Marshall, but that is not the point. The point is cooperation works better than conflict, especially in an impoverished state like ours. Neither of us have compared our degrees, and this forum is not the place to do that, but if you want, I'll refer you to a well known Marshall alumnus who would verify my status, on condition that you do not reveal personal matters on here, and on condition that you do the same.

I seldom post on here, but when I see these delusional rants against WVU I feel compelled to respond. What logical reason can you proffer that indicates WVU has to be involved at all with Marshall, in athletics or anything else, especially when only 19% of the school's income is derived from state sources and WVU alumni provide greater than that amount of funding to in state students in the form of grants and scholarships? I'm a Marshall alumnus, but I am not blind to the fact that Marshall is far more dependent on money from the state than WVU. Neither am I blind to the obvious fact that they have greater influence in state government.

Pretend all you want, but that won't change the facts. Continue to agitate and push, and you could actually do more harm to Marshall than help. The obvious answer lies in cooperation.

You didn't answer ANY of what I said...

It is even more evident you are clearly not educated beyond HS.

You didn't answer ANY of what I said...

It is even more evident you are clearly not educated beyond HS.
You offered no proof for anything you said. Where is your proof that, when Marshall was a teachers college in 1950, they wanted a medical school before WVU, for example? I'm not trying to pick an argument here, that's why I didn't answer those assertions.

You are ranting and raving about why somehow you are correct in trying to provoke a fight with WVU. You're free to do that. People at Marshall have been trying to do that for years. WVU has basically avoided conflict, and let your folks make some changes that, from their point of view, and the point of view of many others including the majority of Marshall's faculty, made no sense, but when you actually try to attack their revenue stream, you are surely going to get a very different reaction. Patience was wearing thin in Morgantown anyway when higher education budgets were slashed, yet Bob Plymale whined and cried his way to two major handouts, but they are indicating a willingness to work through things and cooperate.

There is no way Marshall is going to get anything going forward unless they are with you on it. I believe you can take that to the bank. Don't get me wrong, I think you will continue doing just what you're doing, but I really don't think you will like the way it turns out this time when push comes to shove. What's going to happen when the tens of thousands of West Virginia alumni circulate a petition calling for making it mandatory that no college athletic program in the state can operate at more than a $5 million deficit in any given year, for starters. That would certainly change the way things happen in that new "athletic research" indoor practice facility.

You guys are making a big mistake with all this confrontational stuff. It's likely go come around and bite somebody right in the butt. Cooperation is the obvious choice, which is why I don't think it will happen.

Go read the book "$7000 in the bank". It chronicles the history of the medical school and challenges put forth. Fact is, CHH was capable/ready to host a med school as it was the only in state with already some iteration of medical education seeing how it was hosting residents. The state ignored that and built Ruby instead.

Then come back here hat in hand and admit you are wrong. You won't of course because you want to grandstand and your blue/gold glasses won't allow you to accept FACTS.

And just FYI: that athletic "research" facility has some extremely talented people in it who are already pumping out some really good TRANSLATIONAL research. You haven't heard about it because the facility hasn't even officially opened yet. Just wait 6 months and see where things stand. Research is like football in that it takes time to get off the ground and get a program established. If you get the wrong person in place... well, you know all about that I suppose. Fortunately the sports medicine institute doesn't face the same struggles as the WVU football program right now. It has the right people in place to lead and a very bright future.

I find it funny how ct feels the need to defend wvu..as if no college education is going to somehow be excused by his actions.

Why aren't you in North Korea yet?

Go read the book "$7000 in the bank". It chronicles the history of the medical school and challenges put forth. Fact is, CHH was capable/ready to host a med school as it was the only in state with already some iteration of medical education seeing how it was hosting residents. The state ignored that and built Ruby instead.

Then come back here hat in hand and admit you are wrong. You won't of course because you want to grandstand and your blue/gold glasses won't allow you to accept FACTS.

And just FYI: that athletic "research" facility has some extremely talented people in it who are already pumping out some really good TRANSLATIONAL research. You haven't heard about it because the facility hasn't even officially opened yet. Just wait 6 months and see where things stand. Research is like football in that it takes time to get off the ground and get a program established. If you get the wrong person in place... well, you know all about that I suppose. Fortunately the sports medicine institute doesn't face the same struggles as the WVU football program right now. It has the right people in place to lead and a very bright future.
The point I am trying to make here is the time has come for cooperation of all the schools to get funding restored. What ever happened in the past is, well ... in the past. It won't be changed, but moving forward there is opportunity for renewed progress for all of the state's institutions of higher learning if they work together to that end. The bickering needs to stop. Working together, better things can happen for all.

Do I expect that people in once thriving and now declining Huntington to get on board with a progressive, all together movement? Not likely now that Kopp is gone. He had seen the wisdom of a unified approach. What his successor will do is anybody's guess, but you folks definitely are not helping with actions like this one.

The pop tax should simply be abolished. History time. Back in the 40s and 50s lots of states were establishing med schools (almost all of them had the sense to put them in a place that could actually help the state, except, of course, WV). Most states were using a liquor tax. Because of religious reasons, WV alcohol consumption was so low that that would not work, so they came up with this pop tax.

That was 70 years ago. WV liquor consumption is now at par with the nation. WVUH is a PRIVATE and HIGHLY PROFITABLE corporation.

The tax is unneeded.

Remember, if a red and grey rock from space landed on Concord's campus and had a note from God saying "I(f this rock never leaves Mercer County, all of humanities problems will end" WVU would dispatch an armed squad to take the rock to WVU for study.

The pop tax should simply be abolished. History time. Back in the 40s and 50s lots of states were establishing med schools (almost all of them had the sense to put them in a place that could actually help the state, except, of course, WV). Most states were using a liquor tax. Because of religious reasons, WV alcohol consumption was so low that that would not work, so they came up with this pop tax.

That was 70 years ago. WV liquor consumption is now at par with the nation. WVUH is a PRIVATE and HIGHLY PROFITABLE corporation.

The tax is unneeded.

Remember, if a red and grey rock from space landed on Concord's campus and had a note from God saying "I(f this rock never leaves Mercer County, all of humanities problems will end" WVU would dispatch an armed squad to take the rock to WVU for study.
The pop tax provides vital funding for much more than just basic medical education. It supports education for our state's dentists, for 12 different medical specialties, for dental hygiene, and many other fields. It should be increased, not abolished.

I would, however, agree that a new tax on beer or whiskey should be instituted and the proceeds spread out among all the state medical schools. That is a positive movement that would benefit everyone, and working together that could be accomplished. It pains me to say that, because I love my beer and Jack Daniels, but it would be beneficial. I also wouldn't be opposed to adding a nickel to a pack of cigarettes for the same purpose.

Working together, much can be accomplished.

"Working together" to WVU means WVU takes 99% and some lapdog leadership at MU and the state colleges not objecting.

What is good for WV is bad for WVU, and v-v. WVU has never had the interest of the state in mind.
Well, Sam... there are tens of thousands of WVU graduates spread out all across West Virginia who would disagree with you there. You can go on with that approach is you wish... as I said, personally that is what I expect to happen, I just don't think the response will be even remotely close to what you're expecting.

I see a real chance for progress for everyone, but for whatever strange reason you folks always want to focus on trying to stop progress for WVU. It is really hard to see any logic in that position. It is the antithesis of anything related to higher education.

Let's put it this way... which is better for Marshall... 30% of millions raised from a new tax on cigarettes, or nothing? 30% of a new tax on beer, or nothing... heck, most of those tax proceeds would even be generated in Morgantown yet Marshall would benefit. Just sayin'. Working together great things can happen for all the schools.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT