ADVERTISEMENT

Way too early bowl predictions

Many/most post championship Saturday columns are saying the Cure Bowl, played in Orlando 13 days from now against a Sun Belter.

A bowl that early hardly seems like a bowl, but at least does not interfere with Christmas.

I believe there are 5 bowl games that day, December 16th, along with a FCS semi-final game, the Division II Football championship game and 2 NFL games. So in other words, no casual fan will tune-in to see the game. That sounds about right for our season.

I think that Bleacher Report put us in the Independence Bowl against UVA. I don't see that happening but it would be an interesting match-up.

Money is money. Plus it doesn't sound any worse than say The Rose Bowl Game presented by Northwestern Mutual or The Chick-fil-a Peach Bowl or the Academy Sports + Outdoors Texas Bowl.

Famous Idaho Potato Bowl still takes the cake as the worst sounding bowl game name.
Out of sheer curiosity, I looked up the worst sounding bowl names in bowl history.

In short, St. Petersburg has the worst names and we were in a few...Beef 'o Brady's was one of them.
Another, in the 50's was the Salad Bowl.
But apparently St. Pete outdoes themselves routinely, the Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl of 2017 is the worst sounding bowl name out there.

'To sum up: the bowl that was mostly known for ugly fake grass is now brought to you by a totally unnecessary lawnmower company that is CERTIFIED BADASS, BABY and has the same name as Diddy’s record label, all in honor of a pirate who might not’ve been real and who definitely had nothing to do with Tampa, St. Petersburg, colleges, football, lawnmowers, Bitcoin, USB connectors, Steamy Queso ‘O’ Poppers, or bowl games.'

Reactions: Herd Insider
You can always count on us playing a bowl in FL against the least competitive team we can.

You can always count on us playing a bowl in FL against the least competitive team we can.

Yep!
And that's why we are in the backseat looking at teams ahead of us we used to beat!

Louisville
UCF
Houston
Memphis

Look where they are at! Where are we? In Florida!!!

Dodged the cure bowl bullet!

According to same sources it may not be Boca either. FAU & Temple.

Interesting. Perhaps St. Petersburg? Maybe the Independence? Or the Armed Forces Bowl since UNT is in New Orleans.

Fresno vs Houston in the Hawaii Bowl. That probably means either Colorado State or San Diego State to the New Mexico Bowl.

So. Miss. playing FSU! That’s the game we should have been in! That’s the game that gets me excited!

Last edited:
New Mexico Bowl or Armed Forces Bowl... either Colorado State or Army as opponents.

Arkansas State vs MTSU in the Camellia Bowl (Montgomery Alabama).

I really thought MTSU was going to get left out of a bowl. Perhaps the deal to get them in a bowl has been the hold up on the announcements?

Only 2 spots left and five eligible teams including 10-2 San Diego State who is closer to both bowls. We may get left out!

I wonder if the Frisco Bowl is a possibility? They only had an agreement with the AAC and have announced that SMU will be filling that spot.

Hearins NM Bowl against Colorado State. Its starting to look confirmed.
SDSU vs. Army in their bowl.

If it's Colorado State, they are only one of two FBS schools to have a 3,000 plus yards passer, 1,200 plus yards rusher and a 1,200 plus yards receiver.

The other team is Oklahoma State.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT