ADVERTISEMENT

We have to change QBs

Why are we talking about Columbi and his dad. It’s irrelevant to the situation at hand. Fancher played because the staff didn’t prepare a backup. there is absolutely no spinning that comment by huff. They recruited these kids then have no confidence in them and have not developed them at all.

Why are we talking about Columbi and his dad. It’s irrelevant to the situation at hand. Fancher played because the staff didn’t prepare a backup. there is absolutely no spinning that comment by huff. They recruited these kids then have no confidence in them and have not developed them at all.

I honestly wondered the same thing, but felt like it needed to be addressed since a scorned parent of a former 1-year player was / is still throwing shade at the coaching staff.

I honestly wondered the same thing, but felt like it needed to be addressed since a scorned parent of a former 1-year player was / is still throwing shade at the coaching staff.
Yeah idk how he came up either, but i was just offering why they dont like clint

Marshall was not going to win that game no matter who the QB and seeing that Fancher is injured he should have went with one of the backups. The defense played an excellent game but even that was not enough. Fancher when healthy is the best Qb, however a long rest from his injuries would have helped him and the team down the road. Would have been good experience for one of the freshman providing he did not get hurt by that awesome JMU defense.

Marshall was not going to win that game no matter who the QB and seeing that Fancher is injured he should have went with one of the backups. The defense played an excellent game but even that was not enough. Fancher when healthy is the best Qb, however a long rest from his injuries would have helped him and the team down the road. Would have been good experience for one of the freshman providing he did not get hurt by that awesome JMU defense.
…..and since I have not read it mentioned in this or other threads about the JMU game:
Their punter just flat out killed us!! They had their guys in position around the goal line, and starting at the one 5-6 times in a game is a monumental challenge for an average offense, and w/o Ali we were def below …..

We absolutely could have won that game. What are you even talking about? It was 6-3 until about a minute left in the third. We could have taken the lead had Fancher not thrown the pick in the endzone right after the safety.

I haven’t read this entire thread, but the people bashing Huff are morons. Over a 15 game stretch from last year to this year, Marshall went 11-4 with wins over Notre Dame, Virginia Tech, App State, James Madison, East Carolina, a bowl win, and five other wins (and followed in game 16 by a one possession loss to NC State).

Every single person on this board, rightfully so, would have signed up for that without hesitation.

I haven’t read this entire thread, but the people bashing Huff are morons. Over a 15 game stretch from last year to this year, Marshall went 11-4 with wins over Notre Dame, Virginia Tech, App State, James Madison, East Carolina, a bowl win, and five other wins (and followed in game 16 by a one possession loss to NC State).

Every single person on this board, rightfully so, would have signed up for that without hesitation.
^^Wants an assistant coaching position.

Tell us who he has left in the cupboard then Perkins Jr, who will enable the winning to continue.

I'll give him his just dues in regards to Notre Dame, but you would ordinarily look deeper into the wins over a down VT (I believe they only had one win at the time we played and they're facing a sub 0.500 season) a JMU squad last year playing without their starting QB, 1-6 ECU, and the list goes on.

I don't know why you're kissing Perkins and Huffs asses but it's definitely because you have ulterior motives.

Last edited:

here's the problem though, you cant beat ND and turn around and lose to Bowling Green and Troy after a bye week. You cant beat VA Tech and turn around and lose to GA State. You cant go out and play great D vs JMU but know that their 3 points are going to stand up. You cant beat Navy and turn around and lose to East Carolina. you cant be 20-13 2 1/2 yrs in without any conference championships, cause if thats the case, why not just keep Doc? Doc was cheaper, he didnt need a staff of 30 to run his program. Maybe thats the why its suppose to be now, but smh you have to beat Bowling Green, after a bye.

We absolutely could have won that game. What are you even talking about? It was 6-3 until about a minute left in the third. We could have taken the lead had Fancher not thrown the pick in the endzone right after the safety.
That transfer QB and a young freshmen were your other choices and you still think they could have made a difference?.. I think not.. in the future yes one or even two could make a difference but not in that game.

here's the problem though, you cant beat ND and turn around and lose to Bowling Green and Troy after a bye week.
Would you have rather gone 1-2 in those games with the win being over a top 10 ND or have gone 2-1 in those games while getting pummeled by ND? As a fan, I will take the first option.

You cant beat VA Tech and turn around and lose to GA State.
You mean 6-1 Georgia State?

you cant be 20-13 2 1/2 yrs in without any conference championships, cause if thats the case, why not just keep Doc?
You're faulting a guy for taking over a program that had won one conference championship in its last 18 years and not winning one in his first two years? Brilliant.

Save your breath. He thinks he knows more than anyone about college football.
It is obvious I know more than you do about college football ml . Marshall has a good chance of winning this week against Coastal because their very fine QB is out for the season and their defense is no where near as good as JMU. Fancher gets nine days rest and hopefully will be in better health injury wise. When he can run and maneuver Marshall can win.

• Haha
Reactions: mlblack16.
^^Wants an assistant coaching position.
Stop. I make significantly more than every person on that staff other than Huff, with a far better lifestyle, with far better job security, and get to live wherever the hell I want to instead of in a shithole.

but you would ordinarily look deeper into the wins over a down VT (I believe they only had one win at the time we played and they're facing a sub 0.500 season) a JMU
What kind of fool would look at VT's win total after three games instead of the bigger sample? They are a very average ACC team this year - no better, no worse. Usually, we'd be doing backflips over beating any P5 let alone an average one instead of a crap one.

I don't know why you're kissing Perkins and Huffs asses but it's definitely because you have ulterior motives.
There are no motives other than reality and common sense. 11-4 with wins over all of those teams? 100% of our fanbase would have signed up for that.

In 2.5 seasons, Huff's report card is a solid B so far.

Would you have rather gone 1-2 in those games with the win being over a top 10 ND or have gone 2-1 in those games while getting pummeled by ND? As a fan, I will take the first option.

You're faulting a guy for taking over a program that had won one conference championship in its last 18 years and not winning one in his first two years? Brilliant.
he wasnt brought in here to build a program, he was brought in here to raise the roof!! which is still firmly in place.

It is obvious I know more than you do about college football ml . Marshall has a good chance of winning this week against Coastal because their very fine QB is out for the season and their defense is no where near as good as JMU. Fancher gets nine days rest and hopefully will be in better health injury wise. When he can run and maneuver Marshall can win.
Besides being old and confused, you're also delusional.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Doc and Huff were supposed to be super recruiters. My beef with Doc is I came to the conclusion he was like me with grocery shopping. If my wife tells me exactly what she wants I am extremely good and going to store, knocking it out quick and coming back with exactly what she sent me for.

I think Doc was a great salesman, he just wasn’t good at putting together a shopping list.

I don’t view Huff much differently.

In the sales world it’s the difference between being given a list of pre qualified clients that have expressed an interest in your product and having to generate leads yourself. With the former you just have to be able to talk a good game and reaffirm their already expressed interest, then close the deal. The latter takes a completely different skill set.

My guess is Huff had a voice in RB recruiting at his previous stops, but did very little as far as talent evaluation at any other position. So he’s relying on his hodgepodge staff and inexperienced co-ordinators. I also believe he thinks any player that got signed by a P5 originally must be good because they were vetted by quality coaching staffs before they were signed and P5 is just better than G5.

This is why we really need a move up FCS head coach. They are used to digging deep to find talent and know they have to develop it. It’s not like Alabama where every recruit is a grown man and you have 4 at every position so the cream automatically rises. Also that guy will already have experience working with a lot of staff and knows the staffs of other FCS teams. He’ll know who’s good, hungry and looking for an opportunity. He knows the OCs and DCs that gave his teams fits.
Is there an echo in here?

Doc and Huff were supposed to be super recruiters. My beef with Doc is I came to the conclusion he was like me with grocery shopping. If my wife tells me exactly what she wants I am extremely good and going to store, knocking it out quick and coming back with exactly what she sent me for.

I think Doc was a great salesman, he just wasn’t good at putting together a shopping list.

I don’t view Huff much differently.

In the sales world it’s the difference between being given a list of pre qualified clients that have expressed an interest in your product and having to generate leads yourself. With the former you just have to be able to talk a good game and reaffirm their already expressed interest, then close the deal. The latter takes a completely different skill set.

My guess is Huff had a voice in RB recruiting at his previous stops, but did very little as far as talent evaluation at any other position. So he’s relying on his hodgepodge staff and inexperienced co-ordinators. I also believe he thinks any player that got signed by a P5 originally must be good because they were vetted by quality coaching staffs before they were signed and P5 is just better than G5.

This is why we really need a move up FCS head coach. They are used to digging deep to find talent and know they have to develop it. It’s not like Alabama where every recruit is a grown man and you have 4 at every position so the cream automatically rises. Also that guy will already have experience working with a lot of staff and knows the staffs of other FCS teams. He’ll know who’s good, hungry and looking for an opportunity. He knows the OCs and DCs that gave his teams fits.
I think Doc was a pretty good recruiter. He and his staff just weren't great at developing talent.

I also believe after 2014 he got extremely complacent which is on Hamrick for fostering and atmosphere where Doc never felt like his job was ever going to be jeopardy.

It appears that Huff is overhyped, but I think a large part of it is that he didn't recruit as though he was going to be here past last season. He saw an opportunity with what we had and added some rent-a-players in hopes he could catch lightning in a bottle and parlay that to a bigger job in a short turnaround. Now we have a shallow roster with no QB. As the Doc players trickle out his success is dropping off.

I mean he purposely decided not to recruit a 2023 Class QB. Who does that? I get it with the portal, but even then he didn't decided to get involved with a portal QB until after Spring Camp when it was evident we needed some depth and we ended up with a banged up Rice wash out.

If we lost to Notre Dame and beat BUGS and Troy we would have been in the championship game last year, so there’s that.

Oh, when talking about Huff’s 11-4 stretch, a tip of the hat for slicing the seasons so creatively. How about this, in his last 24 games he’s 14-10 with 3 of those wins against FCS teams. So he is one game over .500 against FBS teams since November 13, 2021.

If we lost to Notre Dame and beat BUGS and Troy we would have been in the championship game last year, so there’s that.
I’ll take a win over a top 10 Notre Dame than playing in the Sun Belt championship.

. How about this, in his last 24 games he’s 14-10 with 3 of those wins against FCS teams. So he is one game over .500 against FBS teams since November 13, 2021.

So he is 7-5 on average those two seasons which puts us in back-to-back bowl games and includes wins over ND, Virginia Tech, App State, JMU, and ECU.

Not the best stretch in Marshall history, but damn solid with wins over that many quality programs. Again, a solid B.

Reactions: cincyherdfan
I’ll take a win over a top 10 Notre Dame than playing in the Sun Belt championship.

So he is 7-5 on average those two seasons which puts us in back-to-back bowl games and includes wins over ND, Virginia Tech, App State, JMU, and ECU.

Not the best stretch in Marshall history, but damn solid with wins over that many quality programs. Again, a solid B.
You're wanting @Aaron Perkins to comp your Rivals membership to this board, aren't you?

If it were Holliday, you would scrutinize the same record, but all of the sudden, mediocre average wins is just fine in your book.

If we wanted to average 7 wins per year and an opportunity to go to a shitty bowl game we could've just kept your boy John H.

Edit: and how telling is it that your little nut ticks Cincy and Perks are the only two liking your posts praising Huff for his coaching success.

ECU is 0-6 vs FBS this year, JMU was without starting QB last year, VT is 3-4 this year, AppSt was 6-6 last year. The only quality big win is Notre Dame, but we gave away some of the luster with BGSU stinker.

I would have given him a B last year, trending towards a C or D this year.

* averaging 7-5 because he played 2 FCS last year and 1 this year.

Question since I do consider you very knowledgeable about college football. How do you beat Notre Dame, Virginia Tech, score 40 against NC State and manage to lose to Bowling Green, lay an egg UAB, drop two games to Louisiana, barely squeak by a not good UConn, play the GA schools closer than Notre Dame, with the same players, same coaches, etc?

At the least I think you can admit the execution of his teams has been wildly inconsistent for a guy who says “we play against ourselves every game.” Will he ever truly be a good coach if he can not get that consistency?

It’s apparent by all those big wins you listed that it’s not a talent issue. If you can beat Notre Dame on the road you must have the talent to beat anyone on our schedule? So why do you drop back to back games after you win that game? Why do you beat VT and then drop 3 straight to less talented teams?

If it were Holliday, you would scrutinize the same record, but all of the sudden, mediocre average wins is just fine in your book.
A guy has had two seasons. In those two seasons, he has some of (possibly the biggest) win Marshall football has ever had while averaging a 7-5 record. He's doing it in a conference that is far better than what the MAC was and far better than what C-USA was other than our first 2-3 years in it. If he does 7-5 consistently for five years, then there is an issue. But considering his 7-5 includes some big wins, it's a B.

Edit: and how telling is it that your little nut ticks Cincy and Perks are the only two liking your posts praising Huff for his coaching success.
Counting is hard. You left out Raleigh, 1972, John Stephens. That's five. How many on yours?
ECU is 0-6 vs FBS this year, JMU was without starting QB last year, VT is 3-4 this year, AppSt was 6-6 last year. The only quality big win is Notre Dame, but we gave away some of the luster with BGSU stinker.
ECU has a solid program in a better conference.
Marshall had a freshman QB against JMU.
VT is 3-1 in the ACC and will finish as a middle-of-the-pack ACC team.
App State is a solid program that beat Texas A&M last year and lost 63-61 against UNC. They aren't a cakewalk.

Question since I do consider you very knowledgeable about college football. How do you beat Notre Dame, Virginia Tech, score 40 against NC State and manage to lose to Bowling Green, lay an egg UAB, drop two games to Louisiana, barely squeak by a not good UConn, play the GA schools closer than Notre Dame, with the same players, same coaches, etc?
Outside of the great/elite teams, you can play that game with anybody. "How does X beat Y but then lose to Z?" The difference between solid teams and great teams is that the great teams are talented/quality enough that they can play poorly and still win the games.

I'm not sure how you say Marshall laid an egg against UAB. UAB had nine wins and beat the 13th ranked team in the country in their bowl games. That's a very good team. Losing by seven points to them is far from laying an egg.

Calling UConn "not good" isn't fair. They beat a 10 win top 25 Fresno team. They beat a top 25 Liberty team. They beat an ACC team. They beat two teams that were ranked in the top 25 plus played four other P5 schools. That's not an easy schedule, and they went bowling with it.

Drop two games to Louisiana? In one of those years, Louisiana was 13-1 and went to a bowl in the other year. Let's not act like those are bad losses.

Stop. Claiming that NC State is less talented than Marshall is absurd. NC State is head-and-shoulders more talented than Marshall. Marshall is not a school with a ton of talent. That's reality. He didn't walk in with a full cupboard.
Huff hasn’t done anything to try to fill the cupboard either

Reactions: Elkview
He hasn’t done anything???
someone wrongly said the cupboard wasnt full, the response was he hasnt done anything to refill it. I see that as a QB argument. When Huff came in Wells left, so if the only thing you look at is the QB room, a case could be made it wasnt full, and a case can be made Huff hasnt done nothing to refill it. True he has gone and gotten a couple of portal QB's but have they really helped? We are stil playing a Doc recruit, so the cupboard wasnt that bare.
right now what I see relative to the HC is we swapped Doc for Huff and we are in the same place.. Both were 'great recruiter' both (for the most part) were running back coaches who never called a play. At least Doc had coaching experience on D side at an upper level.

someone wrongly said the cupboard wasnt full, the response was he hasnt done anything to refill it. I see that as a QB argument. When Huff came in Wells left, so if the only thing you look at is the QB room, a case could be made it wasnt full, and a case can be made Huff hasnt done nothing to refill it. True he has gone and gotten a couple of portal QB's but have they really helped? We are stil playing a Doc recruit, so the cupboard wasnt that bare.
right now what I see relative to the HC is we swapped Doc for Huff and we are in the same place.. Both were 'great recruiter' both (for the most part) were running back coaches who never called a play. At least Doc had coaching experience on D side at an upper level.
You make no sense. Your argument that the cupboard wasn’t empty is that they are playing a QB who is a Doc recruit, yet this thread is about that recruit being garbage.

That’s like saying “the cupboard wasn’t bare - it had some broken dishes and bowls with big holes in them.”

That’s an empty cabinet.

IDK if there's a better QB on the roster, but a one legged, defenseless Fancher is surely a worse opton than at least one of the gaggle of QBs.

Huff's remarks about 'not playing a kid who's not ready' because of that kid's health & safety rings hollow while the starting QB was taking a beating risking his health & safety while jeopardizing his availability for the remainder of the season.

He hasn’t done anything???
No he hasn’t done anything to fill the cupboard. His recruiting and player development is lacking. Recruiting is supposedly huffs strong suit. We don’t have a back up qb we don’t have a third string rb. Our receivers can’t catch or get open.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I am not trying to be personal like you are. If you dont like me that is ok, but calling me names is not ok. I have never called you a name or said a bad thing about you ml.
She has personality disorder issues. Forgive her.

Stop. Claiming that NC State is less talented than Marshall is absurd. NC State is head-and-shoulders more talented than Marshall. Marshall is not a school with a ton of talent. That's reality. He didn't walk in with a full cupboard.

Yet those players he inherited are the ones that have beaten all those teams you think are good. Outside of Laborn, which was a great get even though not many were trying to get him, list the high impact players that weren’t here when he walked in the door.

He’s gone to the portal for 2 years for a QB and has missed both years. He lost a lot of players he inherited at LB and DL after last year and we have gone from 3rd to 111th in rush defense. After this year we lose Porter and Neal, and likely Abraham. All three Doc players and our best player on each level of the defense. Ali and our best OL, Doc players.

Where has Huff made us better?

Andre Sam
Isaiah Gibson
Anthony Watts
Isaiah Norman
Damien Barber

Those are some from last year that played a huge impact on the defense.

Andre Sam
Isaiah Gibson
Anthony Watts
Isaiah Norman
Damien Barber

Those are some from last year that played a huge impact on the defense.
Not to point out flaws in this post... But I will...

Sam was an impact player.

Watts was very solid.

Barber had 20 tackles, 6 solo, and 1 INT.... Role player in 13 games
Norman only played in 9 games (8 really)... Finished with 23 tackles... Role player when healthy
Gibson had 11 total tackles, 0 sacks... Role player at best in 13 games

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT