ADVERTISEMENT

WTF Danny

Sep 18, 2010
This roster is flat out embarrassing after five players. I am waiting out Cook and Bennett's arrival next season. I want to see what we might have and think we can be a decent team. But this year's roster is horrendous outside of really four players. Danny owns this. This is his recruiting and I'm not sure he's done much of it in four years. Our bench needs a complete makeover. Thiemann not DI. Bledsoe not DI. Ot Elmore playing 10 minutes at Illinois????? I'm losing confidence quickly...

Geez brando you just now realizing how small this team is? Probably one of - if not the - smallest D1 teams in the country and you are absolutely right. This falls on DD and his in

Up here, I was able to watch a good bit of the game. Jared West looked pretty damn good. Illinois pretty much dominated them, and they're likely going to be a bottom feeder in the BIG this year.

Not just waking up to our size but am waking up to this horrendous bench play. This is year 4. Danny owns it now. No more building, this is his team. And the fact he had Ot in the game early was eye opening. I am trying to turn a blind eye to this season knowing that next year could be special, but if this is the best we have coming off the bench we are all in for a huge disappointment. I'm trying to figure out what Danny is thinking when it comes to recruiting. I am an out of towner looking from the outside in. However, it doesn't take someone long to see that we have serious recruiting issues.

Williams, George and Koljanin had better stats, albeit none were something to shout about, in less minutes than Milan, who is a senior. I respect Danny being loyal to players who have stuck with the program and worked in practice. But at some point, you have to say: I've got to give my younger players more game experience and try and let them grow into our system. A senior who has plateaued at a very low level of production should be soon relegated to very little playing time, IMO.

I agree oldeherd. He may be the best kid outside of the Cam but he should never see the court. With 18 minutes of playing time no point production and just 2 rebounds as compared to Koljanin who in 17 minutes grabbed 5 rebounds scored 3 point and handed out 2 assist. Doesn't add up to me. You have to put the most productive players on the court not just the players you like. This could be a very long season with out a true big man. DD knew this last year and knew this coming into the season. He was betting the house on Iran being eligible. I'm already looking forward to next year. GO Herd!!

Talking about next year just a few games into this year seems like they will settle not to 9be good until next year. Now thats really bad. DD is about entertaining not winning. Herd has more moral victories than any team i follow

Last edited:
Hers is my take. First, Danny has Zero recruiting skills. No high school connections except for very few. He only has a few players in his 4 years who can play they type of system he is trying to run, which is a copy of his brothers NBA system. His assistants are ok, nothing great. I like Jackson, he is somewhat younger and can relate to the high school kids of today. Cline, not so much. The other guy is just taking a chair on the bench. Other than Elmore, who fell into their laps after leaving VMI, and West, who have they recruited that is any good? We are saying Rondale Watson will be eligible soon. He is no savior. He sat out a year and still cant get eligible? he might help on D but has limited offensive skills. And starting Milan? No disrespect but if that's the best you have you're in trouble. I see a losing record but hey, wait till next year!

Hers is my take. First, Danny has Zero recruiting skills. No high school connections except for very few. He only has a few players in his 4 years who can play they type of system he is trying to run, which is a copy of his brothers NBA system. His assistants are ok, nothing great. I like Jackson, he is somewhat younger and can relate to the high school kids of today. Cline, not so much. The other guy is just taking a chair on the bench. Other than Elmore, who fell into their laps after leaving VMI, and West, who have they recruited that is any good? We are saying Rondale Watson will be eligible soon. He is no savior. He sat out a year and still cant get eligible? he might help on D but has limited offensive skills. And starting Milan? No disrespect but if that's the best you have you're in trouble. I see a losing record but hey, wait till next year!
George was a Virginia player of the year. Tough to say he isn't a good recruit

High school connections???? You must not follow college b-ball very closely.

The only coaches recruiting during high school basketball season are football coaches.

It’s all about AAU and pounding the AAU Tournament circuit Spring and Summer.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU

The only coaches recruiting during high school basketball season are football coaches.

Well excuse me! I guess he is wearing out the AAU circuit with all the big time recruits he has brought in in 4 years.

Well excuse me! I guess he is wearing out the AAU circuit with all the big time recruits he has brought in in 4 years.

It takes more than 3 years to change a culture.
We are not Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky or even a Butler.

You do realize Marshall has not made the Big Dance since the early 1980s, therefore, most high school players being highly recruited have their sights set on schools that have a history of playing post season. Dan is bringing in good citizens (some locals too) that are not on police blotters (like many inner city kids at other programs) end up on. Next year will be a special year in Huntington.....just be more trusting. The HERD is very young with only Elmore being seasoned. It is difficult for most freshman or sophomores to compete against upper classmen.

HerdZilla22

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth

Bennett is a big time recruit. Dillon, George and West are very good recruits. Penava has turned out to be a very good project. Burks was a great under the radar recruit. Bledsoe and Williams have an opportunity to be good.

I believe next year has a chance to be a very special year.

Bennett is a big time recruit. Dillon, George and West are very good recruits. Penava has turned out to be a very good project. Burks was a great under the radar recruit. Bledsoe and Williams have an opportunity to be good.

I believe next year has a chance to be a very special year.

Exactly. The folks complaining about his recruiting probably never liked Deandre Kane or Elijah Pittman or Canty either. Extremely talented and highly recruited with questionable antics on/off the court. You cant have it both ways. Folks...we are not a top 25 "program" or a "name" basketball school that allows us to bring in the best recruits. Not until it is proven on the court that we can win and play fun basketball. He's obviously building a program, the players improve year after year and they are fun to watch. I expected more out of Williams and/or Bledsoe at this point, but the year is still young. I didn't know what to expect from Koljanin and George looks to be a year away from being impactful...We need one of those 4 to step up and play 25-30 minutes. Ot and Milan are just being rewarded for their commitment and hard work and being given a chance to prove themselves and that's a problem?? I expected a win at Morehead...I did not at Illinois. Ever single year, folks have underestimated their win total after 4-5 games...every year they have outperformed. Give them a chance and ENJOY!

This, IMO, is not the kind of team that can just run down and strive to play DD's offense; because Elmore gets to impatient and in the last two games has created so many turnovers (his own and setting up others' turnovers with bad ball placement, etc.). I think DD needs to slow it down a bit, even though that's not his style; enough to get a flow with the ball.

While I saw some good things from a few players last night, not enough to play at his speed. When it's there, take it. When it's not, back off and run some sets.

Also, very clear to me (although not to my gratification) that DD is not really interested in winning and losing at this time in the season. You can tell that by his rotation; last evening in the first half he had (for quite a while) four first year players on the court. He also sat Burks for a very long period of time when he got his second fowl. If he was worried about winning that game, versus getting important playing time experience for this players, he'd never have played certain line ups as long as he did last night. Hope it pays off for him in the conference. Not sure we have the talent to make it be worthwhile this year or not, however.

You are missing the point. It is Danny's SYSTEM that is the problem. You can shoot all the treys you want, but if you cannot rebound or play defense, you will not win too many ball games. It is hard for a three legged stool to sit on without two legs.

Reactions: marshallisqbu
You are missing the point. It is Danny's SYSTEM that is the problem. You can shoot all the treys you want, but if you cannot rebound or play defense, you will not win too many ball games. It is hard for a three legged stool to sit on without two legs.
it is different that is for sure

Its not so much the 3 point system. Works fine if your team can shoot above 40 per cent night after night. Unfortunately, for Danny and MU this team is shooting a little over 30 per cent thus far.

So when your 3 pt. game goes south, you have no consistent inside scorers, and your team plays porous defense, with the other team scoring layups and points in the paint with little defensive resistance, the "analytics" go out the damn window and you're saddled with a big L!!

So as others have said repeatedly in threads like this, one alternative to an off game offensively would be to tighten up your defense and rebounding game!!

HEY GUYS! NEXT YEAR!

There is zero excuse to be 4 years in and this is the roster we have.

Thisis the vision of our athletic department unfortunately.

oldeherd you posted “tighten up your defense and rebounding game”! Seriously? What rebounding game? We have been out rebounded thus far by everyone. Why? No size. Tighten up the defense begs the same question. DD has got to do a better job at recruiting but he’s up against that as few outside WV have ever heard of DD. Want proof? Go to any HS game outside of Huntington and the immediate Tri-State area and people respond “Who”?

Exactly. The folks complaining about his recruiting probably never liked Deandre Kane or Elijah Pittman or Canty either. Extremely talented and highly recruited with questionable antics on/off the court. You cant have it both ways.

Bull! I get sick and tired of this garbage argument that somehow all the talented kids are punks.

I guess Hal Greer was a punk. Was Tamar Slay? How about VanHoose? Was Shaq? Was Pitts? Was Baines? Spikes? Hamilton?

I can keep going.

There are plenty of good players out thrre that are good kids.

You cam have it bith ways and it's just a piss poor excuse to convince people that what Dan is doing is right.

Our roster past a couple players is garbage. We're always having to wait until next year. When are Marshall fans going to get sick of saying yhat and demand the atheltic department actually care about MBB?

Dan to this point has not put a single big man on the floor that can actually play. Instead we have gotten a bunch of Euros that have no idra or abilitu to bang down low on either ends.

Reactions: bbneutralfan

This staff doesn't do that either.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Slay, VanHoose, Shaq, Baines, Pitts, and Hamilton have exactly the same number of NCAA Tournament wins as the current roster. I would much prefer to watch this year and last year's Marshall teams play. From the start of the season to the end of the season, DD's teams have shown improvement. This year will be no different. I will go so far as to say that I think it will be DD who gets us to back into the NCAA dance. No Pittman, Kane or Canty type pampering will be needed (or tolerated).

Last edited:
Bull! I get sick and tired of this garbage argument that somehow all the talented kids are punks.

I guess Hal Greer was a punk. Was Tamar Slay? How about VanHoose? Was Shaq? Was Pitts? Was Baines? Spikes? Hamilton?

I can keep going.

There are plenty of good players out thrre that are good kids.

You cam have it bith ways and it's just a piss poor excuse to convince people that what Dan is doing is right.

Our roster past a couple players is garbage. We're always having to wait until next year. When are Marshall fans going to get sick of saying yhat and demand the atheltic department actually care about MBB?

Dan to this point has not put a single big man on the floor that can actually play. Instead we have gotten a bunch of Euros that have no idra or abilitu to bang down low on either ends.

With the exception of Greer (obviously), I watched all of those guys play. You actually named some of my MU round ball favorites. Now, please inform me of what these guys accomplished that the current staff and players have not. Conference championship? NCAA dancing? Okay, I'll give you one NIT bid with Pitts and Shaq. But if memory serves me, they lost in a conference title game (just like last year's team) and then laid an egg in the NIT. The last time we finished first in the division regular season was 96-97 with White (Donovan's team). White had a 2nd in 2000/2001 with no notable post season. Next best? 3rd in DJ's last year and 3rd in DD 2nd year. What's the point? The recruiting style and playing style that you all are longing for and griping about...NEVER ACCOMPLISHED ANYTHING here at Marshall! A lot of hype, but nothing but that. We have no recent success to compare to...so why not try something different!? The style is fun and has already proven somewhat successful when the right pieces are in place. And they generate pride and excitement by getting some WV boys a shot. And "a bunch of Euros"? Has there been 5 total in 4 years? Milovich and Aleksa, okay, I get it. But Penava has drastically improved every year, will end up being a 3 year starter and is almost averaging a double double (but according to you, he can't play...that tells me all I need to know). 1 transferred out and 1 (Koljanin) was a JUCO. So 3 out of the last 3 recruiting classes and none coming next year...not really a bunch. Dan is the PERFECT fit for Marshall right now and gives us the best shot at getting to the tournament within the next 5 years (psst, we haven't been there in 30, so I'm willing to give it a shot).

Last edited:
Reactions: Herdmeister
And I get tired of hearing "next year" as well...but you just can't deny that everything the critics are griping about should be resolved...next year. We have 2 6'10" guys waiting, while not losing much at all unless Jon leaves early. So basically, take this roster, give them a year to gel and get bigger and better then add Bennett and Cook. Sorry, but that's exciting to think about.

Reactions: Herdmeister
I really appreciate Coach D'antoni. He just likes to go about winning in the most difficult fashion. He truly develops teams that play better at seasons end. He sure could make his life a little easier (at least on the court) with some stronger up front talent. I look forward to watching what he does with this group of athletes. Based on his track record it will be more than we all expect.

And not to mention... that we would have been more than fine this year under the basket had Thompson not decided to leave early. But he got the chance to move closer to home, play in the ACC for Danny Manning. You cant blame Thompson or Dan for that.

Reactions: Herdfaninnoke
And not to mention... that we would have been more than fine this year under the basket had Thompson not decided to leave early. But he got the chance to move closer to home, play in the ACC for Danny Manning. You cant blame Thompson or Dan for that.
As a side note. Thompson has been a starter for them since day 1.

we can blame Thompson. he left late, leaving us in a bind. will enjoy watching WF getting bent over in the ACC all year long.

With the exception of Greer (obviously), I watched all of those guys play. You actually named some of my MU round ball favorites. Now, please inform me of what these guys accomplished that the current staff and players have not. Conference championship? NCAA dancing? Okay, I'll give you one NIT bid with Pitts and Shaq. But if memory serves me, they lost in a conference title game (just like last year's team) and then laid an egg in the NIT. The last time we finished first in the division regular season was 96-97 with White (Donovan's team). White had a 2nd in 2000/2001 with no notable post season. Next best? 3rd in DJ's last year and 3rd in DD 2nd year. What's the point? The recruiting style and playing style that you all are longing for and griping about...NEVER ACCOMPLISHED ANYTHING here at Marshall! A lot of hype, but nothing but that. We have no recent success to compare to...so why not try something different!? The style is fun and has already proven somewhat successful when the right pieces are in place. And they generate pride and excitement by getting some WV boys a shot. And "a bunch of Euros"? Has there been 5 total in 4 years? Milovich and Aleksa, okay, I get it. But Penava has drastically improved every year, will end up being a 3 year starter and is almost averaging a double double (but according to you, he can't play...that tells me all I need to know). 1 transferred out and 1 (Koljanin) was a JUCO. So 3 out of the last 3 recruiting classes and none coming next year...not really a bunch. Dan is the PERFECT fit for Marshall right now and gives us the best shot at getting to the tournament within the next 5 years (psst, we haven't been there in 30, so I'm willing to give it a shot).

100% agree with this.
.........HERD fans need to wait and see....Dan will keep it interesting, entertaining and get HERD men's basketball on track....If you are not witnessing a "start of something good being created".......you are not looking.

HerdZilla22

Reactions: Herd1972
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT