ADVERTISEMENT

#1 Player in the country headed to Jackson State?

Rumors are circulating Hunter could be signing with Prime Time. Apparently Barstool has a $1 million dollar NIL deal set up with Hunter.

That would be awesome. Always like seeing some of the “little guys” getting big name recruits. FCS Campbell is also killing it in recruiting and is ranked pretty highly as a team(in the 60’s overall I believe).

We have seen 100 false dawns at HBCUs before. At the end of the day, it isn’t sustainable. The best want to test themself against the best, and that means in the SEC, not against one and no stars at North Carolina A&T or Prarrie View A&M or Bethune Cookman or such like. And, at the end of the day, nobody under 60 cares about HBCU football. The world, and the South, have moved on to a much better place.

In a year or two, Sanders will tire of bus trips to out-of-the way small towns and either go back to just being rich, or find a job in I-A.

Hell texas is giving every scholarship oline men 50,000/year just for being on scholarship. There really is no competing with that. NIL is the death of college sports.

"We have seen 100 false dawns at HBCUs before. At the end of the day, it isn’t sustainable. The best want to test themself against the best, and that means in the SEC, not against one and no stars at North Carolina A&T or Prarrie View A&M or Bethune Cookman or such like. And, at the end of the day, nobody under 60 cares about HBCU football. The world, and the South, have moved on to a much better place.

In a year or two, Sanders will tire of bus trips to out-of-the way small towns and either go back to just being rich, or find a job in I-A."

And how would you know? So you're making your assertion on behalf of all African Americans who follow HBCU football of which I am one? Tell that to the 75,000 plus fans who attend the Bethune - FAMU game annually or the many others that I can cite. I like to review this board to keep up with Herd sports, but I wondered why so many posters had issues with you. I now know, you're not the sharpest tool in the shed.

"We have seen 100 false dawns at HBCUs before. At the end of the day, it isn’t sustainable. The best want to test themself against the best, and that means in the SEC, not against one and no stars at North Carolina A&T or Prarrie View A&M or Bethune Cookman or such like. And, at the end of the day, nobody under 60 cares about HBCU football. The world, and the South, have moved on to a much better place.

In a year or two, Sanders will tire of bus trips to out-of-the way small towns and either go back to just being rich, or find a job in I-A."

And how would you know? So you're making your assertion on behalf of all African Americans who follow HBCU football of which I am one? Tell that to the 75,000 plus fans who attend the Bethune - FAMU game annually or the many others that I can cite. I like to review this board to keep up with Herd sports, but I wondered why so many posters had issues with you. I now know, you're not the sharpest tool in the shed.
at some point you just let Sammy blather away.....most of his blather is nonsense but he is pretty good at TV and hating on eerdiots....other than that just take it with a grain of salt.

They aren’t at the Bethune famu game for the football.

Reactions: The Real SamC
This is a big moment for the landscape of college football... If this kids tears it up, stays 3 years and then is a first round NFL draft pick with Barstool's $1 million in his pocket he will look like a genius, and other big time players may follow suit to smaller schools where they can be huge fish in incredibly tiny ponds.

If he goes to JSU, takes the million, and then transfers to an SEC/ACC/Big10 school he will screw over Barstool and JSU/Deion. (Kindof the route I am hoping for)

If he flames out, gets hurt, isn't the greatest player in JSU history, then this whole mess will be considered a "bad investment" and discourage future massive deals for unproven recruits.

I can tell you one thing... The "big boys" and by that I mean Alabama, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Clemson, Ohio State, (of course Florida State) etc are not happy about today's development.

Hell texas is giving every scholarship oline men 50,000/year just for being on scholarship. There really is no competing with that. NIL is the death of college sports.
I agree to an extent. I feel its more of a challenge of creativity on outselling someone like FSU to choose your program.

I also found it very interesting (maybe just coincidence) Deon managed to get this guy away from FSU of all places.

I agree to an extent. I feel its more of a challenge of creativity on outselling someone like FSU to choose your program.

I also found it very interesting (maybe just coincidence) Deon managed to get this guy away from FSU of all places.
Come on Deon didn’t do much. You hang a million dollars in front of any 18 year old and you can get them to do just about anything

This is a big moment for the landscape of college football... If this kids tears it up, stays 3 years and then is a first round NFL draft pick with Barstool's $1 million in his pocket he will look like a genius, and other big time players may follow suit to smaller schools where they can be huge fish in incredibly tiny ponds.

If he goes to JSU, takes the million, and then transfers to an SEC/ACC/Big10 school he will screw over Barstool and JSU/Deion. (Kindof the route I am hoping for)

If he flames out, gets hurt, isn't the greatest player in JSU history, then this whole mess will be considered a "bad investment" and discourage future massive deals for unproven recruits.

I can tell you one thing... The "big boys" and by that I mean Alabama, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Clemson, Ohio State, (of course Florida State) etc are not happy about today's development.
Well Walter Payton went there. So he might not be their best player.

Come on Deon didn’t do much. You hang a million dollars in front of any 18 year old and you can get them to do just about anything
Barstool gave him the NIL deal.
You really think FSU couldn't enter a bidding war for him?

Had bad does FSU look because he was able to lure away the #1 recruit with just $1 million from Barstool?

Had bad does FSU look because he was able to lure away the #1 recruit with just $1 million from Barstool?
hahaha, cmon the school is going to write a check for a million to a guy? hahaha

OK, I’m the first to admit that I’m pretty naïve about all this paying college players business. If a recruit takes big money to play for a school, then half a semester later enters the portal, does he get to keep the money?

If we want to know anything about Bethune, we'll just ring up Rifle. lol

We don't compete with Texas now. However we could get out ahead if this and use NILs to be the top or one if the top G5s. The market is still young and there really isn't a "going rate" for players. It wouldn't take much for us to out spend the rest of the G5 who already hardly invest.

Huff should be calling every business owner connected to Marshall and those in the surrounding area willing to do endorsements/commercials for players.

Take Grant and Ali off scholarship and get them NIL deals to make up the cost and use their scholarships to add two more quality players.

The killer is the portal. That's what is going to potentially decimate G5 schools and lower P5s of their top talent.

Why would you hope he screws them? Wouldn't it be better if he doesn't which allows the smaller school to get one over on the "big boys"? I hope this starts to be common place.

Reactions: marshallisqbu
OK, I’m the first to admit that I’m pretty naïve about all this paying college players business. If a recruit takes big money to play for a school, then half a semester later enters the portal, does he get to keep the money?
I'm sure there are conditions in the contract. Just like Spencer Rattler having his NIL deals going into the season and then getting benched and eventually out at OU. I'm sure those once lucrative deals were pulled. No one is just handing these kids a million dollars just because.

Welcome to paying players in free agency with no salary cap… aka what the SEC has always been doing

Reactions: RhinoD

With just a million dollars?? I don’t know your networth but to the majority of these recruits a million dollars is more money than they will ever have. You flash that at a teenager and say hey go here so we can cash in on deon sanders at jsu and make a “documentary” there are very few kids that wouldn’t jump at that.

Welcome to paying players in free agency with no salary cap… aka what the SEC has always been doing
Lane Kiffin, whether you love him or hate him, was absolutely spot on yesterday when he was asked about recruiting going forward.

"People don't want to say it this way, but let's not make a mistake - we have free agency in college football. The kids are a lot of times going to go where they can get paid the most. Kids are saying 'This is what I am getting at this school in NIL.' Free agency has been created but we can't lock players in via contracts, which is another big thing to deal with."

He added that the open transfer portal with no penalty is also creating a new Wild West in recruiting.

"Getting out on the road there is a lot of frustration among junior college and high school coaches because kids that would have gotten offers before aren't now because those spots are being used on kids in the portal."

"National signing day is now essentially your draft class, but you can still add or lose players via free agency."

I don't have an issue with the NIL. I do not like the open transfer. It's causing more harm than benefits. Too many kids in it, giving up free education. JMO

This whole new system is bound to foster resentment. If I were a kid working two jobs to pay for my college education, I wouldn’t look too kindly on some guy getting a free ride and big money because he can pass or run with a football. Plus a good number of athletes even when I was in college never bothered to show up for class. They weren’t there for the education.

Reactions: The Real SamC
This whole new system is bound to foster resentment. If I were a kid working two jobs to pay for my college education, I wouldn’t look too kindly on some guy getting a free ride and big money because he can pass or run with a football.
Not just the two jobs, its the athletic fee. There are a lot of schools where really the students just don’t care about the sports at all. Most of the MAC. Florida Directionals, Half of the AAC. More.

Paying 1000s of $$ over 4 years so you can get in “free” to minor league pro sports events you don’t care about is a hard sell.

With just a million dollars?? I don’t know your networth but to the majority of these recruits a million dollars is more money than they will ever have. You flash that at a teenager and say hey go here so we can cash in on deon sanders at jsu and make a “documentary” there are very few kids that wouldn’t jump at that.
As in the perception of Barstool Sports.
$1 million is nothing for them.

We don't compete with Texas now. However we could get out ahead if this and use NILs to be the top or one if the top G5s. The market is still young and there really isn't a "going rate" for players. It wouldn't take much for us to out spend the rest of the G5 who already hardly invest.

Huff should be calling every business owner connected to Marshall and those in the surrounding area willing to do endorsements/commercials for players.

Take Grant and Ali off scholarship and get them NIL deals to make up the cost and use their scholarships to add two more quality players.

The killer is the portal. That's what is going to potentially decimate G5 schools and lower P5s of their top talent.
Kayla Simmons got on local commercials before these guys did...lol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT