ADVERTISEMENT

19 Sacks on the Season

It negatively affects QB play and play calling. The dude behind me in 120 was killing me about it all. I'm no expert, far from it; but some of things I kept hearing - it was like, do you even know this is a football game they are playing. lol!

He tends to take dumb sacks by running backwards and out of bounds too.
No question, but the poor play of the OL, has caused issues across the board. Hoping the coaches can tell HC to chuck it our of bounds and fix the OL issues before LA comes to town, we'll see.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Sadly yes. This is why I am against all the suggestions to play one of the freshman QBs. They'd be David Carr'd by seasons end.
Just completely disagree Bleeds! Why on Earth are you holding onto them like some rare, uncirculated coin? 🪙
The Portal has changed everything. No more red shirts! Any or all 5 of the ones eligible to return next year (sans Colombi) could hit The Portal and be gone like a fart in the wind.

It’s a new day, as Coach “Lengaal” said in the movie. Get the best QB in the stable out there and kick those spurs!! Play time is over.
All of them can hand the ball off to a RB, and all of them (I’m sure) look great in practice. If Luke P. is 1/3 as good as his Dad, it will be an upgrade at that position!!
If Huff can’t comprehend the above, then maybe he should move on. We’re likely to lose him sooner than later anyway. This team needs something to inspire them, and changing who is running the offense has the best chance of doing that. It…..cannot……get……worse!!
WS

Reactions: Jartard
Just completely disagree Bleeds! Why on Earth are you holding onto them like some rare, uncirculated coin? 🪙
The Portal has changed everything. No more red shirts! Any or all 5 of the ones eligible to return next year (sans Colombi) could hit The Portal and be gone like a fart in the wind.

It’s a new day, as Coach “Lengaal” said in the movie. Get the best QB in the stable out there and kick those spurs!! Play time is over.
All of them can hand the ball off to a RB, and all of them (I’m sure) look great in practice. If Luke P. is 1/3 as good as his Dad, it will be an upgrade at that position!!
If Huff can’t comprehend the above, then maybe he should move on. We’re likely to lose him sooner than later anyway. This team needs something to inspire them, and changing who is running the offense has the best chance of doing that. It…..cannot……get……worse!!
WS
You don't throw out a freshman QB that has had zero practice all year when your OL is this big of a mess. Playing one of them is a panic move and you end losing a year of eligibility and risk damaging them completely after they're beat to a pulp.

The portal has not changed everything. Not to the extent some of you make it out to be. QBs have always transferred if they weren't the starter. The portal doesn't change that.

Playing Zamora, Harrison, or Pennington is beyond dumb. It's Snyder level stupid. Like when he burnt Dobson and Booker's red shirts.

The season is pretty much over. None of those freshman are going to come in and resurrect this season because we aren't just a QB away from being good.

You don't throw out a freshman QB that has had zero practice all year when your OL is this big of a mess. Playing one of them is a panic move and you end losing a year of eligibility and risk damaging them completely after they're beat to a pulp.

The portal has not changed everything. Not to the extent some of you make it out to be. QBs have always transferred if they weren't the starter. The portal doesn't change that.

Playing Zamora, Harrison, or Pennington is beyond dumb. It's Snyder level stupid. Like when he burnt Dobson and Booker's red shirts.

The season is pretty much over. None of those freshman are going to come in and resurrect this season because we aren't just a QB away from being good.
BINGO... If you pick one of the three right now, the other two will be portal entrants sooner rather than later and we will screw ourselves to go the same 6-6 as we can go with Colombi/Fancher.

Our line is awful... No freshman QB is changing that, and none of them are experienced enough to be audibling through plays to avoid certain matchups/change protections.

You can not risk making one of the three the starter now, getting them killed, destroying their confidence, and then having the other two transfer. That is how you cripple your program for multiple years.

Playing the three freshmen should not even be on the table unless something very unfortunate happens to Colombi/Fancher.

The Portal absolutely has changed everything, my fren’.
Pre-portal: Sure, you could transfer, but you had to sit out a year before you could play. The only way you could play the next season is if you dropped down to FCS. At least that’s how I recall it.
Post portal: Transfer anywhere and play the next season!! If that’s not a game changer, I don’t know what is!!!!!!!!!
No 18 y.o. Freshman is going to wait 2-3 years holding the clipboard waiting for his turn!
To think otherwise is just dumb. These kids are going wherever they can get an offer of NIL or immediate PT.

Reactions: MUMAN3419
The Portal absolutely has changed everything, my fren’.
Pre-portal: Sure, you could transfer, but you had to sit out a year before you could play. The only way you could play the next season is if you dropped down to FCS. At least that’s how I recall it.
Post portal: Transfer anywhere and play the next season!! If that’s not a game changer, I don’t know what is!!!!!!!!!
No 18 y.o. Freshman is going to wait 2-3 years holding the clipboard waiting for his turn!
To think otherwise is just dumb. These kids are going wherever they can get an offer of NIL or immediate PT.
QBs transferred all the time before the portal. If they didn't start they left. Just because the portal has made things simpler for everyone doesn't mean you throw a freshman who has had no prep or been involved in game prep all year to the wolves because you're in a panic and afraid they may leave after the season. If Zamora, Harrison, and Pennington were smart they'd see that HC is gone no matter what and Fancher hasn't done much to assert himself as the heir apparent. The QB competition this off season is wide open.

Well that is if Huff is honest about it and doesn't snag another portal QB and anoint them the starter before they ever get to campus.

Also it's been reported that the staff is not very impressed with any of the freshman QBs to this point.

They're not playing. They shouldn't play. End of story.

QBs transferred all the time before the portal. If they didn't start they left. Just because the portal has made things simpler for everyone doesn't mean you throw a freshman who has had no prep or been involved in game prep all year to the wolves because you're in a panic and afraid they may leave after the season. If Zamora, Harrison, and Pennington were smart they'd see that HC is gone no matter what and Fancher hasn't done much to assert himself as the heir apparent. The QB competition this off season is wide open.

Well that is if Huff is honest about it and doesn't snag another portal QB and anoint them the starter before they ever get to campus.

Also it's been reported that the staff is not very impressed with any of the freshman QBs to this point.

They're not playing. They shouldn't play. End of story.
Imo that's on the staff. You recruited these kids so someone had to be impressed at one time with them. True freshman play all the time and do just fine across the country. Even with suspect olines. Maybe the coaches should hire a qb coach since they obviously have no clue how to spot qb talent. I gaurantee there is 1 gem out of those 3 though.

Yes, we run a "hurry up" offense. Everyone hurrys up to the line then stares (waiting for perceived audible) at the sideline for 22 seconds before snapping the ball.
That "check with me" or whatever it's called happened twice on one play Saturday. That looking to the sidelines crap kills momentum.

Reactions: herd66
Imo that's on the staff. You recruited these kids so someone had to be impressed at one time with them. True freshman play all the time and do just fine across the country. Even with suspect olines. Maybe the coaches should hire a qb coach since they obviously have no clue how to spot qb talent. I gaurantee there is 1 gem out of those 3 though.
Not very many successful freshman were 4th, 5th, or 6th on the depth chart and in then thrust into duty late in the season because the staff is in a panic because everyone in front of them sucked.

They may turn out to be good down the road, but throwing them out there now is foolish.

Do you think any of them change the results of either BG or Troy? Is a QB all that's holding us back? If not then you don't put them out there now.

Now if we're completely out of bowl contention the 3 games left in the season and you want to do some evaluating then by all means.

All we talked about in 2014 is how Doc pissed away Cato's freshman year. How great it could have been for him to RS. I remember the same being said of Dobson, Booker, and even Shuler.

Not one of the freshman are good enough or prepared well enough at this point to lift us into a conference championship.

Also never forget how much coaches like to dial the playbook back when they put true freshman in the game. Our offense is predictable enough as it is right now.

Reactions: RhinoD
over and above anything else with the QB's, if the o-line does not get it together going to be a long year. So, but not all the QB play is a result of the bad o-line play.

Also, some is a result of play calling, I think better play calling could help the mediocre o-line. With the RB's we have, why not have more play action, have seen very little of that this season. That would certainly slow down the rush.

Yep. Can't believe that he is still around to put yet another one of his "stamps" on a Herd program again!!
I think he just lives in the tri-state area and owns a whistle, so any time someone has to take a day off, quits, etc we give ol'Bill a call and ask him to be the ----- coach. Tight ends, offensive line, running backs, OC, whatever opening we have.

With the RB's we have, why not have more play action, have seen very little of that this season.
To have play action.......you need time in the pocket. Time in the pocket requires OLINE blocking. Time in the pocket requires the QB holding the ball longer to allow pass routes to set up the throw. Our OLINE (at this point) is unable to provide consistency in this area.

Reactions: ilmherdfan
I feel like Sam Bradford and Oklahoma started that whole slowing down and checking the sidelines thing.
Maybe so. Could have been Oregon under Kelly or wvu under Rich Rod too. It's just annoying to watch and it gives the defense time to adjust.

Not very many successful freshman were 4th, 5th, or 6th on the depth chart and in then thrust into duty late in the season because the staff is in a panic because everyone in front of them sucked.

They may turn out to be good down the road, but throwing them out there now is foolish.

Do you think any of them change the results of either BG or Troy? Is a QB all that's holding us back? If not then you don't put them out there now.

Now if we're completely out of bowl contention the 3 games left in the season and you want to do some evaluating then by all means.

All we talked about in 2014 is how Doc pissed away Cato's freshman year. How great it could have been for him to RS. I remember the same being said of Dobson, Booker, and even Shuler.

Not one of the freshman are good enough or prepared well enough at this point to lift us into a conference championship.

Also never forget how much coaches like to dial the playbook back when they put true freshman in the game. Our offense is predictable enough as it is right now.
……just remember, Bleeds: preface every statement in your reply with “in my opinion”, because that’s all it is.

……just remember, Bleeds: preface every statement in your reply with “in my opinion”, because that’s all it is.
You do the same there buddy. If you don't like what I have to say you have two options.

1. Don't read it
2. Block me

You think Chad couldn’t read a Defense and pick them apart?
Face Palm No GIF

With an offensive line like ours, he'd be lucky to have a chance to tuck the ball as he's being sacked.
It’s called reading a Defense and the results are sometimes quicker throws or run changes..

Oline can be not that good and still have a productive offense, this garbage we have now is, stick to the play call and run it..

gardener Webb ran a play with no OLine and gained 20+ yards, before he fumbled

Reactions: MUMAN3419
A good qb can do well behind a bad line. It's up to the OC to offset a teams deficiencies.
Not really. "Good" is a very relative term. If you have a line that can't hold off defenders long enough to allow a play to develop it doesn't matter who is back there. Sure some can make better of it than others, but you won't win very many games and eventually your QB is going to end up physically or mentally hurt or both.

Reactions: herd66
Not really. "Good" is a very relative term. If you have a line that can't hold off defenders long enough to allow a play to develop it doesn't matter who is back there. Sure some can make better of it than others, but you won't win very many games and eventually your QB is going to end up physically or mentally hurt or both.
We can agree to disagree.

Just one quick example. Tulsa has a oline that has allowed over 20+ sacks. Their qb has 1550yds, 9.3 yd avg, 60 % completion, 12 td and 3 pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: W-S HerdFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT