ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Gaspsrilla Bowl tropy vs 2019 Jim Phelan Classic trophy...

W-S HerdFan

Platinum Buffalo
Aug 14, 2002
Sarasota, FL
both have shiny metal
both signify a post-season victory
both are lower level championships when your team doesn’t make it to the “real” playoffs
one was played on a neutral field; the other played in front of the home crowd
Winning the Bowl game officially ends your season; winning the JP Classic means you live to play in the next round
Both are glorified participation trophies

So tell me how winning one is anything more significant than winning the other?

1. The bowl games are tie ins with the conference. So unless you get the access bowl, ( which is not guaranteed if you win the Conf ) you don’t have choices on where you go, you can only go to the ones that have a tie in w CUSA. This is a “system” problem not a Marshall problem. So this term “minor bowl” is not correct - IMO - they are the bowls we are assigned to. The conference pays for the first 100k of tickets , the school gets revenue past that benchmark. National TV. Oh by the way the bowl game was played on USF home field not a neutral field.

2. CBI - is a pay for play tourney. Period. Means that you were passed over by NCAA and NIT. So you are willing to pay a third party to have a game. The interesting part is a couple of years ago DD told a group of us he would “never pay to play in a tourney” to quote him. Why the change of mind? And don’t say the young players will get more PT. You will see Elmore, Burks, Watson, play the exact minutes they played in regular season. I personslly hate we are playing in this tourney as I think after last year it “cheapens” the program. Plus we will have 4K there and loose money. What will everyone say if we loose at home in this pay for play tourney?

1. The bowl games are tie ins with the conference. So unless you get the access bowl, ( which is not guaranteed if you win the Conf ) you don’t have choices on where you go, you can only go to the ones that have a tie in w CUSA. This is a “system” problem not a Marshall problem. So this term “minor bowl” is not correct - IMO - they are the bowls we are assigned to. The conference pays for the first 100k of tickets , the school gets revenue past that benchmark. National TV. Oh by the way the bowl game was played on USF home field not a neutral field.

2. CBI - is a pay for play tourney. Period. Means that you were passed over by NCAA and NIT. So you are willing to pay a third party to have a game. The interesting part is a couple of years ago DD told a group of us he would “never pay to play in a tourney” to quote him. Why the change of mind? And don’t say the young players will get more PT. You will see Elmore, Burks, Watson, play the exact minutes they played in regular season. I personslly hate we are playing in this tourney as I think after last year it “cheapens” the program. Plus we will have 4K there and loose money. What will everyone say if we loose at home in this pay for play tourney?
......you are right on that last part. IUPEU is 3-12 away from home, so it would be an embarrassment to say the least....I don’t think we will lose $$. You are also correct that DD has had this opinion in the past. I believe the scoring record has a ton to do with this...+ like has been stated on the board recently, #33 has given the fans some great memories these last 4 seasons...

In football, MU is one of the 130 teams in the top division, albeit in the second tier of that system. (Imagine that, a small underfunded school in a dying town in a backward state "only" being in the second tier.) In that system, in a league built for football, made up of schools with a common goal of playing football at the same level, our program WON the right to play in a bowl game.

In basketball, MU is one of over 430 teams. Near the bottom of Div I, in a one-bid league. The league is built for football, and the basketball programs were brought along. Some have history and commitment. About a third have no interest in the sport, play it in a nominal fashion, and devote as little to it as possible. MU, with a long and rich basketball history, upon which the current coach has based what amounts to his marketing plan, picked 25th nationally in at least one publication. In a sport requiring far less resources (as evidenced by the success of schools far smaller than MU) MU FAILED to win over the four to six teams in this woeful league actually able to win it; and then went on to FAIL to even get in the NIT, and had to buy a meaningless pay-to-play game which nobody cares about.

Basketball people saw the problems coming, but the unique system of basketball makes it possible to "get hot in the conference tournament and who knows" and this was used to ridicule and shut down conversation about the obvious deficiencies of this team, all season long.

Now, with the deficiencies made clear to even them, they still want to argue by tossing our highly successful football program under the bus. Rather than just say "the basketball team failed totally" and, better yet say "and you saw that coming in December."

Why should anyone take your arguments seriously when you flat out lie?

In basketball, MU is one of over 430 teams.

No, there are not 430 Division I basketball teams. There are 353.

Near the bottom of Div I, in a one-bid league.

In the current ranking system used by the NCAA, Marshall currently sits at 148. That would put us in the top half of D-I teams, not "near the bottom".

I won't deny that this league is one-bid only. However, going by conference RPI, Conference USA is the 13th ranked conference. It is also not "near the bottom".

Either way you try to play it, your claim is woefully inaccurate.

The rest of your post is the standard SamC copy-and-paste that you use in every thread, where you fish for praise for being a season-long downer on the basketball team while never providing any statistics to back up your claims. Then again, if you provided stats, they would probably be wrong.

Now, with the deficiencies made clear to even them, they still want to argue by tossing our highly successful football program under the bus. Rather than just say "the basketball team failed totally" and, better yet say "and you saw that coming in December."

Define "highly successful".

No, there are not 430 Division I basketball teams. There are 353.

You got me. OK, MU is in a bottom league out of "only" 353 teams.

In the current ranking system used by the NCAA, Marshall currently sits at 148. That would put us in the top half of D-I teams, not "near the bottom".

It is mediocre and crap. It is failure. You are happy with being 148th. Enjoy it.

I won't deny that this league is one-bid only.

Good for you. Do you also not deny the sky is blue?

A succession of one-bid leagues. Which this underperforming team has actually won the one-bid (from 4th place regular season) once in 30 years.

Then again, if you provided stats, they would probably be wrong.

You want stats.

Participation in NCAA? No.
Participation in NIT? No
Record? 19-14
Conference finish? 6th.
Eliminated? First full round, did win a play in game.
Biggest loss? 51 points.
Lost to:
Ohio 14-17
Duquesene 19-13
Rice 13-19

Which of these are inaccurate?

Define "highly successful".

What Doc has restored after the dark KO/Tan Man years. What I would love to see basketball return to. If only we had more fans unwilling to settle for just OK.

When do the we are 148th !!!!!!!!!! t-shirts get printed?

But understand where this thread came from. For four months, many, including me, have been pointing out the deep flaws in this basketball program. This was slammed down with "we might get hot in the conference tournament and who knows" over and over. That is not a plan. A plan is to demand excellence. To demand winning. To demand more than having drawn in inside straight once and thinking you are Phil Ivy.

But, now that the season is over, and it is over in terms of anything that matters at all, rather than get a thread where we examine this FAILED season of FAILURE, we get "well paying to play some rando is the same as going to a minor bowl."

No it isn't. The football team had a good year. Not perfect, which is 13-0 and the access bowl (something we are competing with half a division for) but good, if not great. Again. The basketball team failed.

In football, MU is one of the 130 teams in the top division, albeit in the second tier of that system. (Imagine that, a small underfunded school in a dying town in a backward state "only" being in the second tier.) In that system, in a league built for football, made up of schools with a common goal of playing football at the same level, our program WON the right to play in a bowl game.

In basketball, MU is one of over 430 teams. Near the bottom of Div I, in a one-bid league. The league is built for football, and the basketball programs were brought along. Some have history and commitment. About a third have no interest in the sport, play it in a nominal fashion, and devote as little to it as possible. MU, with a long and rich basketball history, upon which the current coach has based what amounts to his marketing plan, picked 25th nationally in at least one publication. In a sport requiring far less resources (as evidenced by the success of schools far smaller than MU) MU FAILED to win over the four to six teams in this woeful league actually able to win it; and then went on to FAIL to even get in the NIT, and had to buy a meaningless pay-to-play game which nobody cares about.

Basketball people saw the problems coming, but the unique system of basketball makes it possible to "get hot in the conference tournament and who knows" and this was used to ridicule and shut down conversation about the obvious deficiencies of this team, all season long.

Why the hell even drag this on? You just perpetuate the issue. I why no idea why this debate even started. Support the school and all programs period.

Of course many who post prolly don’t give to the BG, or gave to the Vision Campaign. Nor will they likely give to the Herd Rises Campaign. Yet we want the world in terms of titles and success.

CUSA is dreadful in football it is absolutely awful. So anything you say after that renders any point you are trying to make moot. The majority of CUSA teams are ranked in the bottom 100 of college football. Talk about somebody who settles. My God you couldn’t be anymore of a settler and an accepted of mediocrity than our current football program.

Look at this year we got stomped by a 5-6 Va Tech team who scheduled us to get their 6th win to go to a bowl game. We lost 2 home games one to a conference team. Our record against teams over 500 is horrible. We have consistently lost games at home and not just against P5 schools. We play Ohio at home in 2019 and exactly NOBODY is looking at that as an easy victory. Talk about mediocrity!

We have a schedule in 2019 that contains exactly ZERO P5 schools and many on this board are touting it as one if the greatest schedules we have ever had. Cincinnati from the AMERICAN is our marquee home game!!! That’s not settling for mediocrity?

Also the bs we are from a poor state nonsense is crap too. We have some of the nicest facilities in G5. State of the art IPF, state of the art weight room. And according to this board we are the top ranked school in CUSA for recruits every year. So being in WV hasn’t hurt that! Also Dic makes way more money than any coach we have ever had here.

Nobody on here expects Docs teams to beat the upper echelon of college football like an Alabama or Clemson, we also don’t have an expectation of undefeated seasons. But we do have an expectation that he will consistently win a conference made up of schools that didn’t have a program or were IAA a few years ago more than once in 9 years.

We have shown you guys over and over. Rifle Herdman, Random, myself and others that in the modern era Marshall has been a good football program. We spend way more money on it, we have better facilities, fans and definitely name brand than 95% of our conference. We have NFL players to say hey look at these guys to potential recruits from compared to the dumpster fire that was Marshall basketball for the 30 years before Dan. In Dans 5 years he has a first place and second place finish. But I guarantee you if we have a let down next year like this one he will definitely get crap from the fan base including me

I shake my head every time I read that you think CUSA is anything more than the MAC when we played in it in the 90s early 2000. A few good teams and several awful teams. The difference is CUSA doesn’t have a Marshall who elevates the league and builds it up because even the good teams are mediocre.

......and with that well-worded rebuke, Sam went into a self-induced psychosis, repeatedly rubbing his head and repeating, over & over: “Marshall football is great. We are strong. Nobody can change my mind...I’m hungry for some gummy bears..”
And so it continues, forever and ever, amen!!

Reactions: herdfan93
Maybe we are being too hard on Sam. Maybe he is confused about bowl games and what they mean. There used to be a very few bowl games, mainly for conference champions in smaller conferences. Now there are 41 bowl games. 82 teams go to bowl games out of 125 FCS teams.

Maybe he thinks that is really a superior accomplishment to finish 8-4 and go to a bowl game. Maybe he thinks it is like 1975 or even the mid 90's when there were fewer bowl games. In his defense, I think Marshall's athletic dept is happy or sold on this as well. Bowl Game. Went to a bowl game. Print a shirt. That takes the pressure of winning conference championships. And it really doesn't even mean you have to be in the top 65% of teams, you just need to get a bowl tie in. You can really be the 95th best team or 100th best team but, you get a bowl tie in.

If this is Marshall's stance, I think I would just go get me a coach for half of what they are paying now and tell them all you have to do is be one of 82 teams to go to a bowl. That is basically what we are doing now.

Save the 400 grand and do something else with it.

Reactions: herdfan93
Why the hell even drag this on?

I don't know. I didn't start this thread nor come up with the silly "bowl game earned = the #4 tournament at pay to play" I didn't start the stupid "safe space" thread.

All I, and many others wanted to do was talk about basketball with logic and reason for a season.

I don't know. I didn't start this thread nor come up with the silly "bowl game earned = the #4 tournament at pay to play" I didn't start the stupid "safe space" thread.

All I, and many others wanted to do was talk about basketball with logic and reason for a season.

logic & reason......2 qualities you will find are rare commodities in the sports fan world! Passion, emotions, opinions and self-loathing are the stock and trade for a fanatic of a sports team!!
Peace
WS

Wish I lived in Huntington or at least within driving distance... it would be a no-brainer that my son and I would be in the front row to see Elmore and the guys play again.

Last I checked, our football program hasnt played in an Access Bowl, yet we still play in bowl games every time our record makes us bowl eligible. Way I look at it, our basketball team didn't make the Access Bowl (errrr... NCAA Tournament), didnt play in a New Year's Eve/Day Bowl (errr... Rose Bowl), but got bowl eligible to play in a post-season game (errr.... Gasparilla Bowl). I root for The Herd every December when we play in a "meaningless" bowl game. FYI, it's not meaningless to the kids in the uniforms, out on the field, risking their health for Marshall University. Think Byron ever tells his kids about his unbelievable performance in the BS GMAC Bowl???? Think Keion Davis still has the MVP trophy from the Gasparilla Bowl?????

I want Marshall to win every time we lace up our shoes - hi-tops or cleats - in any sport. Nobody says "DON'T PLAY A BOWL GAME UNLESS YOU GET AN ACCESS GAME BID" - and I think it is absolutely stupid to not play in post-season basketball - WHATEVER, WHERE EVER, against WHOMEVER!!!!

What if Marshall WINS the CIT - won't the fan base celebrate and won't we hang a banner in the Henderson Center? Last I checked, there is an NAIB National Championship Banner hanging in the Henderson Center. No one shimmied their fat a$$e$ up into the rafters to take it down because its not an NCAA or NIT banner. Heck - all I hear about is the "Glory Days" of Marshall basketball. Guess what - that tournament meant just as much to Andy Tonkovich and Cam Henderson as the CIT should mean to Jon Elmore and Dan D'Antoni.

So what if its about giving Jon a chance to play for the record. We should play regardless. What if Kinsey goes for 25 pts. and 10 rebounds - he'll be able to tell his kids and grand kids about how he had a double-double when he played for Marshall - which is more than I can say for most of the All-American Typists out here (myself included).

What if Jon DOES break the scoring record. He77, I am rooting for him to do it - and Skip was a friend of mine when I attend Marshall. I hate the choices he made after he left Marshall - and it saddens me that our all-time leading scorer is spending his entire adult life behind bars. I loved watching Skip play, and I love watching Jon play. My kid pretends to be Jansson Williams and Jon Elmore when he is at basketball practice. Do you think he gives a rats a$$ it isn't the NCAA or NIT???? No. He is just excited he is going to get to watch Jon play one more game (well, hopefully a few more games!)

Step back for a minute and think about what college sports really should be all about. They should be about the opportunity to compete, they should be about entertainment, and they should be about school spirit. Guess how many people will be in the Henderson Center on Tuesday night if Marshall ISN'T playing IUPUI, guess how many hotdogs they'll sell, and what the he77 is there better to do on a Tuesday night in Huntington, WV than go watch The Herd play basketball????

I say - GO HERD... play'em anywhere and play'em anytime.

Wish I lived in Huntington or at least within driving distance... it would be a no-brainer that my son and I would be in the front row to see Elmore and the guys play again.

Last I checked, our football program hasnt played in an Access Bowl, yet we still play in bowl games every time our record makes us bowl eligible. Way I look at it, our basketball team didn't make the Access Bowl (errrr... NCAA Tournament), didnt play in a New Year's Eve/Day Bowl (errr... Rose Bowl), but got bowl eligible to play in a post-season game (errr.... Gasparilla Bowl). I root for The Herd every December when we play in a "meaningless" bowl game. FYI, it's not meaningless to the kids in the uniforms, out on the field, risking their health for Marshall University. Think Byron ever tells his kids about his unbelievable performance in the BS GMAC Bowl???? Think Keion Davis still has the MVP trophy from the Gasparilla Bowl?????

I want Marshall to win every time we lace up our shoes - hi-tops or cleats - in any sport. Nobody says "DON'T PLAY A BOWL GAME UNLESS YOU GET AN ACCESS GAME BID" - and I think it is absolutely stupid to not play in post-season basketball - WHATEVER, WHERE EVER, against WHOMEVER!!!!

What if Marshall WINS the CIT - won't the fan base celebrate and won't we hang a banner in the Henderson Center? Last I checked, there is an NAIB National Championship Banner hanging in the Henderson Center. No one shimmied their fat a$$e$ up into the rafters to take it down because its not an NCAA or NIT banner. Heck - all I hear about is the "Glory Days" of Marshall basketball. Guess what - that tournament meant just as much to Andy Tonkovich and Cam Henderson as the CIT should mean to Jon Elmore and Dan D'Antoni.

So what if its about giving Jon a chance to play for the record. We should play regardless. What if Kinsey goes for 25 pts. and 10 rebounds - he'll be able to tell his kids and grand kids about how he had a double-double when he played for Marshall - which is more than I can say for most of the All-American Typists out here (myself included).

What if Jon DOES break the scoring record. He77, I am rooting for him to do it - and Skip was a friend of mine when I attend Marshall. I hate the choices he made after he left Marshall - and it saddens me that our all-time leading scorer is spending his entire adult life behind bars. I loved watching Skip play, and I love watching Jon play. My kid pretends to be Jansson Williams and Jon Elmore when he is at basketball practice. Do you think he gives a rats a$$ it isn't the NCAA or NIT???? No. He is just excited he is going to get to watch Jon play one more game (well, hopefully a few more games!)

Step back for a minute and think about what college sports really should be all about. They should be about the opportunity to compete, they should be about entertainment, and they should be about school spirit. Guess how many people will be in the Henderson Center on Tuesday night if Marshall ISN'T playing IUPUI, guess how many hotdogs they'll sell, and what the he77 is there better to do on a Tuesday night in Huntington, WV than go watch The Herd play basketball????

HH - you did in 3 paragraphs what I have failed to communicate in pages! I love watching Marshall play!! Anytime, anywhere, against anybody...
Go Herd!! Backatcha...

You are correct. The problems with this fan base are that many turn their nose up at the successful football program, and easily swallow the mediocre at best basketball program. Our football program is doing just fine, and has the potential to do better, to which we should aspire. Our basketball program is not, and we should demand better.

You are correct. The problems with this fan base are that many turn their nose up at the successful football program, and easily swallow the mediocre at best basketball program. Our football program is doing just fine, and has the potential to do better, to which we should aspire. Our basketball program is not, and we should demand better.
Last I checked, both programs have exactly one conference championship trophy under the leadership of their current head coach - and played in one other championship game. I think that your position that football is successful - while basketball is mediocre is absurd. One program has accomplished that level of success/mediocrity in a five-year period with a marginal budget (at best). The other program has accomplished that identical level of success/mediocrity in a ten-year period with a much larger budget (proportionally).

You don't like Dan. You don't like basketball. I think we have all been subjected to that take in more than one post (or one hundred thousand posts). You love Doc. You love football. I think we have all been subjected to that take in more than one post (or one hundred thousand posts).

WRONG AS HELL SAD SAM
.....the Hoops team demise started when the Coaching Staff was "shocked" when a certain senior to be (IP) bailed on his teammates in the 11th hour after receiving some bad advice that he would be selected in the NBA draft. IP HIRED an agent....then when he did not "get a sniff" from any NBA team...he came running back to the Head basketball coach pleading to accept him back!

Sorta like a certain Herd QB from Florida dropped out of classes his final year and placed his name in the NFL draft......what did that earn him.....Taxi Squad.

TOO LATE! IP
was drafted by a team in Europe and FINALLY last week he got healthy & started earning his paycheck.

Had "said senior" returned...I will bet Silent Sam $1,000 The HERD would have won about 25 games and won CUSA hands down....receiving a ticket to Indianapolis.

Another Chapter in HERD LORE.
.....We will never know "what happiness" HERD Hoops could have accomplished in 2018-2019.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
You don't like Dan. You don't like basketball. I think we have all been subjected to that take in more than one post (or one hundred thousand posts). You love Doc. You love football. I think we have all been subjected to that take in more than one post (or one hundred thousand posts).

Actually I love basketball, and I wish the whole prodigal son meme was a real thing, be it DD or Greg White.

The whole "we might just get hot in the conference tournament and who knows" thing should not be acceptable as a strategy, nor should it be a come back for any criticism of this program or any program. Grab a bracket sheet and look at how many MID-MAJOR names are the same, year after year. Because those fan bases demand better. We are happy with OK. Proud to be 148th. Its nice. It OK. Whatever. Fine. Good enough.

Actually I love basketball, and I wish the whole prodigal son meme was a real thing, be it DD or Greg White.

The whole "we might just get hot in the conference tournament and who knows" thing should not be acceptable as a strategy, nor should it be a come back for any criticism of this program or any program. Grab a bracket sheet and look at how many MID-MAJOR names are the same, year after year. Because those fan bases demand better. We are happy with OK. Proud to be 148th. Its nice. It OK. Whatever. Fine. Good enough.
Shouldn't we demand more in football then? Just going to a bowl game should not cut it for Marshall.

Shouldn't we demand more in football then? Just going to a bowl game should not cut it for Marshall.

Sooooooooooooo, you want to play Clemson or Alabama for the National Championship? Or is the "access bowl" enough for your super high tastes?

ONE, out of 61 programs, goes to the "access bowl". Other than that "just" going to a bowl game is all there will ever be here or at any other G5 program. Ever. That is it. And one is pretty much the same as the next. To achieve this is probably a once in a life time special event. (And, BTW, out of the 65 P5 programs, how many do you think can aspire to play in the national championship? 10? 15? How many can aspire to play in a NY6 bowl? Half?

Yet these other schools have fans who want their programs to be all the can be, even understanding that they will never beat Alabama.

Dude, MU football is just not for you. It will never accomplish anything that will bring you happiness.

Yet, in basketball, the league has only, what, 8 teams that are ever going to win the league. That get in the tournament. The rest don't try. Being second best, or even third best is the NIT. MU should be in the NCAAs at least once per recruiting generaltion (every 4th or 5th year) and in the NIT at least once or twice in between. And that, with all due respect, is a goal we can attain and should aspire to. There are plenty of programs at our level that do so.

Sooooooooooooo, you want to play Clemson or Alabama for the National Championship? Or is the "access bowl" enough for your super high tastes?

ONE, out of 61 programs, goes to the "access bowl". Other than that "just" going to a bowl game is all there will ever be here or at any other G5 program. Ever. That is it. And one is pretty much the same as the next. To achieve this is probably a once in a life time special event. (And, BTW, out of the 65 P5 programs, how many do you think can aspire to play in the national championship? 10? 15? How many can aspire to play in a NY6 bowl? Half?

Yet these other schools have fans who want their programs to be all the can be, even understanding that they will never beat Alabama.

Dude, MU football is just not for you. It will never accomplish anything that will bring you happiness.

Yet, in basketball, the league has only, what, 8 teams that are ever going to win the league. That get in the tournament. The rest don't try. Being second best, or even third best is the NIT. MU should be in the NCAAs at least once per recruiting generaltion (every 4th or 5th year) and in the NIT at least once or twice in between. And that, with all due respect, is a goal we can attain and should aspire to. There are plenty of programs at our level that do so.

You miss the point. No I did not say play Alabama or Clemson in the national championship. But, finishing in 2nd or 3rd in the division and going to a bowl game should not the pinnacle either. It is not hard to go to a bowl game in CUSA. It is relatively easy to get to 6 or 7 wins and go to a bowl. My point is shouldn't we win the conference championship and win it more than we do? It is easier, much easier to get to a bowl game than it is win the conference championship in basketball.

That's my point. Marshall should win more football championships that it does. Once a decade? Really? Marshall football can keep me excited; it has done that before. But, constantly finishing 2nd or 3rd in the division is lame.

Maybe we are being too hard on Sam. Maybe he is confused about bowl games and what they mean. There used to be a very few bowl games, mainly for conference champions in smaller conferences. Now there are 41 bowl games. 82 teams go to bowl games out of 125 FCS teams.

Maybe he thinks that is really a superior accomplishment to finish 8-4 and go to a bowl game. Maybe he thinks it is like 1975 or even the mid 90's when there were fewer bowl games. In his defense, I think Marshall's athletic dept is happy or sold on this as well. Bowl Game. Went to a bowl game. Print a shirt. That takes the pressure of winning conference championships. And it really doesn't even mean you have to be in the top 65% of teams, you just need to get a bowl tie in. You can really be the 95th best team or 100th best team but, you get a bowl tie in.

If this is Marshall's stance, I think I would just go get me a coach for half of what they are paying now and tell them all you have to do is be one of 82 teams to go to a bowl. That is basically what we are doing now.

Save the 400 grand and do something else with it.

The NCAA tournament bracket has also been expanded...yet MU didn't even get in.

Reactions: The Real SamC

Tell you what...we'll make it as simple as we can. How about just starting out with being able to win our WEAK conference championship maybe once every 5 years instead of a decade?

Deal? You won't agree, because that's somehow way too lofty, even though your smarmy little comment above is using extreme examples of which none of us are saying. Nice try though Samantha, nice try.

You miss the point. No I did not say play Alabama or Clemson in the national championship. But, finishing in 2nd or 3rd in the division and going to a bowl game should not the pinnacle either. It is not hard to go to a bowl game in CUSA. It is relatively easy to get to 6 or 7 wins and go to a bowl. My point is shouldn't we win the conference championship and win it more than we do? It is easier, much easier to get to a bowl game than it is win the conference championship in basketball.

That's my point. Marshall should win more football championships that it does. Once a decade? Really? Marshall football can keep me excited; it has done that before. But, constantly finishing 2nd or 3rd in the division is lame.

Be ready...cause the lack of coaching Dan does to change his teams' weaknesses is going to land MU 1 title in the same amount of time.

Finishing 2nd or 3rd vs...how did MU finish this year in basketball?

Don't confuse the football haters with facts and logic. They might call you a girl, which is a great comeback, if you are 10, or a Spamtard. Should MU win CUSA in football at least once in every recruiting generation (5 to 6 years in football) ? Yes. Which is what Doc has done, after repairing the damage done by KO and Tan Man.

The difference is if MU football in September looked like what MU basketball did in November, the response of the ENTIRE fan base would be negative. Unfortunatly, "we might get hot in the conference tournament and who knows" was used to try to shut down discussion, due to the unique way basketball tournaments work. And, when the basketball team was revealed in said tournament to be EXACTLY what those of us who follow basketball knew and said it was months ago, rather than say "I was wrong" the chief the regular season does not matter poster moved to tossing the football team under the bus, to which the anti-Doc crowd jumped on.

Next year, basketball season starts in November, not March. Be there.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
Don't confuse the football haters with facts and logic. They might call you a girl, which is a great comeback, if you are 10, or a Spamtard. Should MU win CUSA in football at least once in every recruiting generation (5 to 6 years in football) ? Yes. Which is what Doc has done, after repairing the damage done by KO and Tan Man.

The difference is if MU football in September looked like what MU basketball did in November, the response of the ENTIRE fan base would be negative. Unfortunatly, "we might get hot in the conference tournament and who knows" was used to try to shut down discussion, due to the unique way basketball tournaments work. And, when the basketball team was revealed in said tournament to be EXACTLY what those of us who follow basketball knew and said it was months ago, rather than say "I was wrong" the chief the regular season does not matter poster moved to tossing the football team under the bus, to which the anti-Doc crowd jumped on.

Next year, basketball season starts in November, not March. Be there.
So, what you're saying is, 2019 should be the year we win the CUSA football championship. After all, Doc has won his first after 5 years and he's running out years to win his second in 10 years.

Sam said:
And, when the basketball team was revealed in said tournament to be EXACTLY what those of us who follow basketball knew and said it was months ago, rather than say "I was wrong" the chief the regular season does not matter poster moved to tossing the football team under the bus, to which the anti-Doc crowd jumped on.

As far as I know, “piling on” on an internet message board will draw neither an offensive foul nor a personal foul....
.....and btw it’s Mister “Chief” with a capital C to you!!
Go Herd!!!

Last edited:

Couriously, I looked at GREG MARSHALL [ex-HERD asst Coach---age 56]. Randolph-Macon, Va (1985-87)...Asst Coach; Belmont Abbey, NC 1987-88 Asst Coach; College of Charleston, SC 1988-1996 Asst Coach; MARSHALL Univ 1996-1998 Asst Coach; Winthrop, SC 1998--2007 HEAD Coach; Wichita State 2007---Present HEAD Coach.

$ Annual salary: $3,500,00
$ Record: 286-97
$ Marshall has coached HIS TEAMS to the NCAA Division 1 Basketball Tournament in 12 of his 18 years as a head coach.
$ Wichita (305 wins & counting)
$ Winthrop (194 wins)

$$$ Led Wichita State to the Final Four in 2013

NET NET: Greg Marshall is getting it done for the Shockers.

HerdZilla22

Last edited:
Couriously, I looked at GREG MARSHALL [ex-HERD asst Coach---age 56]. Randolph-Macon, Va (1985-87)...Asst Coach; Belmont Abbey, NC 1987-88 Asst Coach; College of Charleston, SC 1988-1996 Asst Coach; MARSHALL Univ 1996-1998 Asst Coach; Winthrop, SC 1998--2007 HEAD Coach; Wichita State 2007---Present HEAD Coach.

$ Annual salary: $3,500,00
$ Record: 286-97
$ Marshall has coached HIS TEAMS to the NCAA Division 1 Basketball Tournament in 12 of his 18 years as a head coach.
$ Wichita (305 wins & counting)
$ Winthrop (194 wins)

$$$ Led Wichita State to the Final Four in 2013

NET NET: Greg Marshall is getting it done for the Shockers.

HerdZilla22
Zilla - cu@thegame! Go Herd

So, what you're saying is, 2019 should be the year we win the CUSA football championship. After all, Doc has won his first after 5 years and he's running out years to win his second in 10 years.

You kidding?? That's the equivalent (to Sam) as getting a spot in an access bowl. We simply cannot hold Doc to such lofty, unreasonable standards. BTW, did you know we can't even afford enough helmets for the whole team? Haven't you noticed them sharing after the change of downs?

Given the history of the NCAA tournament, it doesn't seem as restrictive to actually win it all. Butler got to the finals twice and lost.
Gonzaga lost in the finals as well.
Loyola made the Final Four.
Multiple smaller schools have advanced and Cinderella'd themselves to success in said tournament.
Sure, they didn't win, but that was because of performance and not opportunity.
In NCAA football, there has been constant action the prevent these from happening. Absolutely zero give when it comes to fair share. We've all seen it. The CFP literally shuts everyone else out. Not our fault.
So, when Doc wins a bowl game, considering only 1 team gets an Access Bowl bid and multiple G5 teams are decent enough for it, the margin for error is higher and the reward is far more difficult.
I would consider it a higher achievement than what the basketball team is currently pursuing.

I'll take a bowl trophy over this CBI trophy...considering these tournaments were invented despite the actual National Championship is actually there for anyone to get it.
But difficulty is subjective. I'm not taking away the difficulty of the NCAA tournament by the way, but seeing how every season a nobody team beats a bunch of somebody's, tells me it is not as unattainable as the CFP or Access Bowl.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT