ADVERTISEMENT

2022 W-L regular season predictions

Doc did nothing for the Huntington community. NOTHING for the decade+ he was here. He did little for the Marshall community other than show up to the Shewey and get a paycheck.

Pruett has been a part of the Marshall community and done more in the Huntington community than Doc ever did. He’s remained a part of Marshall University and fund raising efforts long after he finished coaching. Took part in numerous organizations and community events.

Doc stayed because he liked the program and liked WV as a state/whole. He never wanted to leave despite what some out of the loop would say. It was never about his own ego or just himself. Also, he largely tried to do things right. Not perfect by any means, he wasn't nearly as good as others, but his efforts were genuine.
Pruett left the team high and dry, claimed to retire from coaching then went on and began coaching again, hung around MU because by comparison, he could remind everyone who he is. He'd entertain a return only to get himself more fame and not the program, whom he'd then leave again, high and dry.
Its not about one program, its liking where you are because you have loyalty to those who gave you something you didn't have before...and not getting ahead of yourself.

It doesn't seem likely you'll ever change your mind, nor will I.

Choking away a 17 point lead at home to a below average to bad ECU team because you got greedy is pretty embarrassing.

The only thing Doc didn't do was win multiple championships. That's why many don't remember some of the bad losses that Pruett had. Doc gets clowned on for how we played at VT. Many argue that those Pruett teams were more talented and would whoop the Doc teams and pretty much every time we faced a P5 opponent we lost pretty badly. Save for KState, SCar (won 1 game in 98), and Clemson (6-6).

Doc beat Louisville (eventual co-BE Champ), Maryland (only P5 bowl victory in school history), and Purdue who were pretty much in line with 98 S Carolina.

People hammered Doc for losing to #3 Louisville while forgetting Pruett got drummed by #1 Florida. Neither game should be a blackmark for either coach, but the Doc haters sure acted like we should have won that game in 2016.

Pruett lost at BGSU in 1998. 1998. Then later that season needed to block a kick to not lose to Wofford at home.

Am I saying Doc is as good as Pruett? No. However he gets hammered for a lot of dumb stuff. Doc got complacent after 2014 and it showed. I put most of that on Hamrick because he allowed him to feel too comfortable. People just romanticize Pruett and demonize Doc. Doc didn't leave suddenly under the cloud of NCAA violations that put the next staff in a huge hole either. No on likes to talk about that little dirty detail. Why? Because Pruett won championships.

Doc was just here way too long. He should have been gone about 2-3 seasons earlier. However Doc should be appreciated for what he did for this program. When he took over we were horrible. Sure we just made the Pizza Bowl vs OHIO, but we were not a good team. Sanctions plus Snyder plus Kayo Marcum really stripped away everything that was built from 1987-2004. Doc got this program competitive again. The fact we can even complain about choking in championship games means we were actually playing in championship games.

Doc's gone and now Huff is here. And to those that say it was just year one. Some of these same people were hammering Doc for going 5-7 in his first year after a 6-6 bowl season. Well Huff took over a team that just played in the conference championship with a much more talented roster than what Doc received in 2010.

We came up short in a lot of games last season because of coaching blunders from just about every member of this staff. Cramsey's offense was just as bad as it was under Doc, DBs were out of position a lot, WRs had a lot of drops, and STs had some horrendous game blowing blunders. Like not knowing how to cover/field and onside kick.

2022 is going to tell us just who Charles Huff is. Cramsey is gone, and according to Huff this team is HIS team. As he stated the incoming freshman chose to sign with us, the transfers chose to come here, and the current chose to stay instead of transfer.

There are not excuses in 2022. These are the players that Huff wanted. These are the players we have. He had a chance to go out and get an OC, but chose to elevate a guy that has never called plays. So we'll see what we have. Hopefully we are challenging for the conference. I don't expect to win it, but I expect to be in the fight until the season is done.

I won't entirely blame Huff for "being greedy" and it costing him a game...as it had been stated before, that was what his intentions were...to be hated because they'd not stop scoring...being greedy.

Beyond all of that? Spot on again.
I will add...
Doc had to basically re-build the program and people need to stop with the W/L's of everyone else.
Was the MAC any better?

Doc was able to keep MU in the hunt for the division and it usually came down to the last 2 weeks of the season and in some cases, was out of our hands. Yeah, he should've gone to the title game more, at least MU wasn't eliminated as early on as the last.

Snyder, who had legitimate NFL caliber players on his team, couldn't manage a winning season. Let that sink in.

Doc wasn't/isn't perfect. Pruett isn't either. Both are entirely different in many ways. Comparing them isn't going to be useful at this point.

Huff inherited a very good team and barely managed to win 7 games. Hopefully he's learned from last season, and I'm not holding his season against him, as any HC deserves a pass.

Doc stayed because he liked the program and liked WV as a state/whole. He never wanted to leave despite what some out of the loop would say. It was never about his own ego or just himself. Also, he largely tried to do things right. Not perfect by any means, he wasn't nearly as good as others, but his efforts were genuine.
Pruett left the team high and dry, claimed to retire from coaching then went on and began coaching again, hung around MU because by comparison, he could remind everyone who he is. He'd entertain a return only to get himself more fame and not the program, whom he'd then leave again, high and dry.
Its not about one program, its liking where you are because you have loyalty to those who gave you something you didn't have before...and not getting ahead of yourself.

It doesn't seem likely you'll ever change your mind, nor will I.
There is a lot to how and why Pruett left. And aside from his brief stint at Va…he never left Huntington. He’s been far more connected to the Marshall community than Doc ever was. No. I will never change my mind. I was fully aware of what was going on during that period

IMHO, the ECU loss was a "growing pains" loss by a new coach feeling out his team. Sh8t, it was his, what, third game as a head coach???? Jesus guys, see what we have right now. I honestly believe that Huff will be gone within five years because he has us truckin' again. But I have been wrong a lot. Ask my exes.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
IMO, we go 6-6. We only won 7 last year and we have many unknowns on this squad. Hope I am wrong and we win them all!

Reactions: extragreen
IMHO, the ECU loss was a "growing pains" loss by a new coach feeling out his team. Sh8t, it was his, what, third game as a head coach???? Jesus guys, see what we have right now. I honestly believe that Huff will be gone within five years because he has us truckin' again. But I have been wrong a lot. Ask my exes.
As I have said about Huff, most games were winnable and not blowouts minus wku.

Trade the talent and it being his first ever HC gig, it was about right for the situation. I mean, we can all agree he would inevitably make a coaching blunder. Every coach does, and it being his first time ever, he does get a pass from me because he kept MU in contention for the east until the final week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT