ADVERTISEMENT

279th

Lol what...the program is literally 68-40 the past 3 years with a C-USA Tournament Championship, another C-USA Tournament Championship game appearance, an NCAA Tournament berth, an NCAA Tournament win, and a postseason tournament title. Yeah, this program is in horrible shape. You act like they should just plug in someone in Elmore and Burks’ spots and expect the same results immediately. Anybody that knows anything about basketball knows those types of players aren’t easily replaceable.

I am a huge fan of DD and glad he is here but why didn’t we have someone playing last year backing up our two big stars? Why are we relying on someone that is a transfer that hasn’t played in a game?

why didn’t we have someone along with Peneva so when he left unexpectedly we weren’t relying on a center that wasn’t physically ready to play?
We knew Elmore and Burkes were graduating last year. We shouldn’t be relying on Taylor to be the savior by end of the season. That is just facts.

I hope the kid is awesome but he has so much pressure on him now he will have to be like Lebrun James to get respect. I am excited for him and to see how they all mesh. But to think he will be the savior is crazy. We need to let the kid play the game this year. Not just the next few weeks.

Anyone who believes this Herd squad is the 279th best team in D1 doesn’t know his ass from a hole in the ground. Up big at the half. Didn’t even get Kinsey the ball....West is such a bull dog on defense. Our length is going to be a big problem for opponents....

Didn’t I allude to that when I said this team will get better as time progresses? I also said no one is expecting them to be exactly like Jon or CJ. Expecting a developed and competitive team in the 6th season for a coach is not unrealistic in any way. You’re iterating my exact point. It does take time and there has been plenty of it. Where did I say player development was easy? Exactly where? I didn’t. There has been plenty of time to develop guys who have been on the team for 3 and 4 years and seemingly that has not happened. Is 3 and 4 years enough time? Should we as fans just not say anything critical about the coaching staff? This is a message board after all. To put it simply so maybe you can better understand, I’m not saying every player should be exactly like Jon or CJ. I’m questioning the mentality that you’re approaching this. Why continue to make excuses for this? Again, if this is year 2 for Dan, we’re not having this conversation. It’s year 6 and you lost a couple of good players. It happens every single year to a lot of teams. At what point do you say, you know, a lot of these guys have been on the team for several years and we knew Jon and CJ wouldn’t be here forever so why did we not have a plan for when they’re gone? Are we just content to be the victim? Jon and CJ are gone and it takes time to develop other players so it’s ok for us to be bad even though we have all of these great accomplishments in the last 3 years! It’s one thing to not be cut out to be the next Jon or CJ but it’s a whole other to not even have something in place to get them there.
“you lost a couple good players” the understatement of the year. Didn’t Elmore finish #1 all time scorer at Marshall? Yea that happens every year to a lot of teams.

I am a huge fan of DD and glad he is here but why didn’t we have someone playing last year backing up our two big stars? Why are we relying on someone that is a transfer that hasn’t played in a game?

why didn’t we have someone along with Peneva so when he left unexpectedly we weren’t relying on a center that wasn’t physically ready to play?
We knew Elmore and Burkes were graduating last year. We shouldn’t be relying on Taylor to be the savior by end of the season. That is just facts.

I hope the kid is awesome but he has so much pressure on him now he will have to be like Lebrun James to get respect. I am excited for him and to see how they all mesh. But to think he will be the savior is crazy. We need to let the kid play the game this year. Not just the next few weeks.
This is where I’m at.

“you lost a couple good players” the understatement of the year. Didn’t Elmore finish #1 all time scorer at Marshall? Yea that happens every year to a lot of teams.
Oh, yeah & btw - #5 all time as well!

50% shooting from range
7-8 from the line
1 player can’t bring your 3ball % up 20, right?

Reactions: Elkview
So the semantics is what you took from that? We can go there though. Obviously I said that in the general sense. Good or great players leave programs every year and life continues on. What’s your game plan after they leave is the point and you know that. I’m well aware of the impact Elmore had. I did say you’re not replacing those guys in terms of what they accomplished records wise. It’s not unreasonable to expect guys to come in behind them to continue the success. The overall team success, not individual accolades success.

So the semantics is what you took from that? We can go there though. Obviously I said that in the general sense. Good or great players leave programs every year and life continues on. What’s your game plan after they leave is the point and you know that. I’m well aware of the impact Elmore had. I did say you’re not replacing those guys in terms of what they accomplished records wise. It’s not unreasonable to expect guys to come in behind them to continue the success. The overall team success, not individual accolades success.
Sorry I just felt that the statement understated the loss from last year and it will probably take more than 9 games to replace them.

Reactions: WyomingHerdFan
Anyone who believes this Herd squad is the 279th best team in D1 doesn’t know his ass from a hole in the ground. Up big at the half. Didn’t even get Kinsey the ball....West is such a bull dog on defense. Our length is going to be a big problem for opponents....
I like this team. I do believe they are going to be very solid come February/March and look for them to be very competitive next season. I’m not unrealistic towards the players themselves in regards to their development. I realize it takes time. It’s on coaching. I just don’t understand how we seemingly didn’t have some sort of game plan for life after Elmore and Burks.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I like this team. I do believe they are going to be very solid come February/March and look for them to be very competitive next season. I’m not unrealistic towards the players themselves in regards to their development. I realize it takes time. It’s on coaching. I just don’t understand how we seemingly didn’t have some sort of game plan for life after Elmore and Burks.
Players come and go every year. You can't replace them all every year. You're working with a total of 12-13 spots each year. Look how many freshmen and sophs we have this year. Seldom do you have 3 of every class on your roster, so it's not 3 out/3 come in.

Players come and go every year. You can't replace them all every year. You're working with a total of 12-13 spots each year. Look how many freshmen and sophs we have this year. Seldom do you have 3 of every class on your roster, so it's not 3 out/3 come in.
I’m sure you haven’t read my other posts on this thread and I don’t blame you, but I’m speaking about development not recruiting. Although recruiting is part of that ‘game plan’.

I don't think this post is going to age well for Sam. Of course, he'll never admit it.
No. He turned off his dial-up connection and went to bed. The amazing thing about Sam? He is the board’s etch-a-sketch man. Every morning he gets out of bed, shakes himself really well and starts regurgitating the same drivel. Turn those knobs, Sam!!
Go Herd!! When was the last time we took Morehead behind the woodshed @ Ellis J??

I don't think anyone on this board is satisfied with our current ranking. Let the season play out. We have accomplished as much in the last 4 years as we have in a long time on the bball court. As many as said, we should have been more prepared after losing two very good players. It looks like we might have the young men on the team to accomplish that.That can still happen....we haven't even played a conference game. Good start tonight getting to where we all want to be. GoHerd

points in the paint : 38-18 MU

Last edited:
Reactions: WyomingHerdFan
They did look better, but I’ll hold my judgement.

We beat a 5-5 Morehead St squad that also has double-digit losses to a 5-5 North Alabama team and a 4-6 Illinois St team.

With that said, all you can do is beat the teams in front of you and we did that.

We beat a 5-5 Morehead St squad that also has double-digit losses to a 5-5 North Alabama team and a 4-6 Illinois St team.

With that said, all you can do is beat the teams in front of you and we did that.
Morehead was a slight favorite, on their home floor, where we haven't won in 13 years. And we blew them out. Won the pts in the paint battle. According to Hensley, AT did ok. Hopefully good things gonna happen.

Here we go with the “don’t get too excited, we only beat <insert name and their record here>”... except we aren’t supposed to say that about the almighty John and his football program.

Also, Sam C, why so personal against basketball and Danny? You’ve made it a point to call them an “awful team” several times.

I was pleased with how the team played last night... Taylor makes a huge difference. This team needed a true PG that can shoot from outside, and now they have it. (Kinsey and West are both better at the two-guard spot). Need to back it up with a home win over EKU and maybe steal one over Northern Iowa or Duquesne before CUSA play starts.

You guys are missing the two most important aspects of all remaining basketball wins this season... 1. This is a team with no seniors... 2. Every win is one win closer to 10, and thus Sam cutting a check to the Big Green.

Here we go with the “don’t get too excited, we only beat <insert name and their record here>”.

And what exactly is wrong with that? Isn’t that what basketball is all about? Thus far wins over 3-8, 2-8 in Div I Robert Morris; 1-10 Howard; Div II Bluefield State; and now 5-6 Morehead State from the generally poor (had a great year last year) OVC. Next up is 3-7 EKU, also from the OVC. Plenty of lip about this “improvement”, until 9-1 (lost of a Sweet Sixteen looking WVU by 5) Northern Iowa and 9-0 (weak schedule) Duquesne apply the cold douche of reality.

Also, Sam C, why so personal against basketball and Danny? You’ve made it a point to call them an “awful team” several times.

None. First, will discuss any MU sport you want. Football, baseball, soccer (don’t know a thing about soccer), whatever you want. Second, nothing personal against Danny. Seems like a very nice guy.

Trying to discuss basketball. The team, IMHO, is a dumpster fire. Some on here are willing to discuss any sport and criticize any coach, except basketball and Danny. I treat him just like I treat everyone else and reject the double standard.

And what exactly is wrong with that? Isn’t that what basketball is all about? Thus far wins over 3-8, 2-8 in Div I Robert Morris; 1-10 Howard; Div II Bluefield State; and now 5-6 Morehead State from the generally poor (had a great year last year) OVC. Next up is 3-7 EKU, also from the OVC. Plenty of lip about this “improvement”, until 9-1 (lost of a Sweet Sixteen looking WVU by 5) Northern Iowa and 9-0 (weak schedule) Duquesne apply the cold douche of reality.

None. First, will discuss any MU sport you want. Football, baseball, soccer (don’t know a thing about soccer), whatever you want. Second, nothing personal against Danny. Seems like a very nice guy.

Trying to discuss basketball. The team, IMHO, is a dumpster fire. Some on here are willing to discuss any sport and criticize any coach, except basketball and Danny. I treat him just like I treat everyone else and reject the double standard.

Where’s this energy when football beating a bunch of scrubs every year? And no, you don’t treat Dan and Doc the same. You criticize Dan at every turn, but make endless excuses for Doc.

Since football does not play “a bunch of scrubs every year” your question is silly. But the one year Doc failed to meet the minimum standard, I certainly was critical. He is now back on track.

But again, this is not a football thread. This is about just how far down the list this awful basketball team is. 70th from the bottom, ahead of only bus-and-gym league, HBCUs, randos, Big South, Southland, MAAC and like that. Awful.

Since football does not play “a bunch of scrubs every year” your question is silly. But the one year Doc failed to meet the minimum standard, I certainly was critical. He is now back on track.

But again, this is not a football thread. This is about just how far down the list this awful basketball team is. 70th from the bottom, ahead of only bus-and-gym league, HBCUs, randos, Big South, Southland, MAAC and like that. Awful.

Well let’s see, we played 5-7 FCS team VMI, 4-8 MTSU, 1-11 ODU, and 3-9 Rice this season, just to name a few. So, those are certainly scrubs. As far as basketball, last night was encouraging. A true point guard opens up everything, so hopefully Taylor is that guy moving forward.

You guys are missing the two most important aspects of all remaining basketball wins this season... 1. This is a team with no seniors... 2. Every win is one win closer to 10, and thus Sam cutting a check to the Big Green.

Ahhhh yes. The check. Isn’t it for 5 large? Half-way to 10 after Thursday, so yeah, there’s that. How will we know that Sam actually makes the donation?

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
I will “cut the check” should this team surpass 10 wins, as agreed. And I would be glad to do so. I would like nothing more than for this team to be something other than the laughable exercise it is currently. MU certainly should beat EKU, but are there 4 wins among our fellow bottom feeders in CUSA?

Random is in charge of verification since it's his wager.

I have no idea how Sam will verify.

If I lose, I'll make the donation and post a receipt on here with my name partially blocked. Since I'm friends with @Chris McLaughlin on Facebook, I'll send him a message with a copy of the whole receipt for verification purposes.

IL.
Since I'm friends with @Chris McLaughlin on Facebook,

Speaking of Facebook, is there any way you can get me into the super-secret HerdNation Facebook discussion group? They brought out Fort Knox security on it after the last breach, and my team hasn’t been able to infiltrate it again . . . yet.

Where’s this energy when football beating a bunch of scrubs every year? And no, you don’t treat Dan and Doc the same. You criticize Dan at every turn, but make endless excuses for Doc.

Beating a bunch of scrubs is better then losing to a bunch of scrubs!

Isn't that the team that beat us by 50 last year?

One tournament win is not MAJOR National Respect! We won one tournament game. Two years out no one except a few around here knows about it or gives a shit. When you mention Marshall, major basketball power does not come to mind. Try it there are plenty of board on the Rivals network.

Exactly.
Winning an NCAA tournament game means less and less each year since plenty of lesser known teams do it.
Its become about deep runs in the tournament which is substantially more difficult but certainly not impossible.
Another problem is head coaches get picked off right aftert those runs.
Only a few who chose to stay, can really bring national attention to a program. Mark Few did it with Gonzaga and they are now established. Same with Brad Stevens and Butler. It could have been with FGCU but their coach went to USC right after. Loyola went back to Earth last season even retaining their coach.

MU can build on their appearance but need to make it more routine now. Expectations SHOULD be a conference finals appearance and they should be in the tournament more often now.
Last season was a let down and with all of Dan's changes and shuffling of the starters, it has not worked out like everyone expected currently.

If Dan doesn't make the conference finals, is that a failure in your opinion?

Reactions: The Real SamC
Nice balance in last night's game, both scoring and rebounding. Taylor must have been a factor in getting this type of offensive performance. Let's hope they can keep it up. Glad to see George have a good game. Marco got some significant minutes and did well. Potential is there.

Reactions: Elkview
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT