ADVERTISEMENT

5 worst losses of the 21st century....

I actually think the 2004 loss to Akron was one of the worse. Riding a 5 game win streak, on ESPN 2, playing for another conference East championship, and we blow a 21 point lead late in the 3rd quarter. Seemed to be the beginning of us losing the aurora around the program.
Isn't that the one where the punter puckered up hard and botched it late? Another sickening feeling....their fans probably tossed canned goods onto the field!!

Isn't that the one where the punter puckered up hard and botched it late? Another sickening feeling....their fans probably tossed canned goods onto the field!!

Yes it was... Actually set up their game winning FG.

1. WVU- John playing daddy ball with Tron
2. WKU-Cato/Legg/John debacle
3. FUC at home in front of the entire production staff of We Are Marshall movie
4. New Hampshire- Nuff Said
5. Rice-2020
FUC !! MMc on the sideline, 4th down deeeeeep in their own territory.......throw across the field to an uncovered receiver.......and to put the cherry on top, that fat bastich kicker nailed the game winner....ugh!!

I want to say that we even had a DE (Albert McClellan?) with the QB in the clutch when he threw the ball. That play must've lasted 20 seconds at least.

98 vs Bowling Green (cost us an undefeated season)
00 vs Toledo (absolute butt kicking)
02 vs Akron
04 vs Ohio State
04 vs Cincinnati (Pruett's last team quit)
05 vs K-State (setting expectations)
07 vs New Hampshire (1-AA/FCS....ugh)
09 vs UTEP (everybody gave up in Snyder's last game)
10 vs WVU (all of the WVU games could be on this list but this one hurt most)
12 vs UCF (embarrassing home loss)
13 vs Rice (CUSA Championship)
14 vs WKU (cost us an undefeated season and a shot at a New Years bowl)
16 vs ODU
16 vs Charlotte (embarrassing home loss)
20 vs Rice (shut out by 2-3 Rice)

This is more than 5 but these are the ones that I remember being like a punch to the nuts over the past 20+ years. All of the WVU games could've been on there. 97 sucked really bad. 2010 was the worst though. Like K-State for Snyder, WVU set my expectations for Doc. He exceeded my expectations...but not by much.

(2005) Kansas State
(2009) at UCF—-this still hurts
(2010) West Virginia (home)
(2016) Akron (home) Chase got hit..hard
(2017) FIU (home)
(2018) Southern Miss—-PAT miss (home)
(2020) Rice (home)

it was first down I'm pretty sure. We had just completed a 32 yard pass to Hargrove.
Correct.

Snyder wanted to center the ball, call time out, kick the FG. Skinner couldn’t see the play call being sent in because the sideline was going crazy. So a pass play got called, and the rest was history.

I put that on Snyder, it’s his job ultimately to have the sideline under control. Plus he could have called a timeout (which is what most coaches do) when he saw the play he called wasn’t being ran.

Here’s the thing about that game that nobody remembers. Everybody assumes the FG was a given. Ian O’Conner had a big leg, but the poor guy had a history of melting at crunch time. I honestly don’t think he would have made it.

Edit: just saw Tonycried2’s post. He obviously remembers this fact, most do not however.

Reactions: HerditAllBefore
Ian O’Conner. He also went 0/3 on field goals this game.
See my post on the K-Stste 2005 game.

I have a game-worn Ian O'Connor jersey I picked up at an equipment sale like 10 years ago. I've worn it to games before, and people tend to act like they don't think its funny.

Today, he's a veterinarian in Knoxville. Link.

Dr_O_Connor.JPG

I have a game-worn Ian O'Connor jersey I picked up at an equipment sale like 10 years ago. I've worn it to games before, and people tend to act like they don't think its funny.

Today, he's a veterinarian in Knoxville. Link.

Dr_O_Connor.JPG
By all accounts an amazing dude. Probably a great Vet. Just couldn’t kick it through the pipes or hold onto a snap when it counted.

My god Pruett went off on him in the locker room after the game. I’ve seen a lot of ads chewing but that was the worse one ive ever seen

59f7725e52c62.image.jpg

Pruett was super-displeased for sure.
IF someone can find it: Cue up the full screen image of Pruett’s facial expression 1 1/2 seconds after our kicker blew the extra point try to send the 2001 bowl game vs ECU into OT. I have never seen a more painful look on a college football coach’s face!! It’s a classic....

Pruett’s Capt Picard meme

Last edited:
I actually think the 2004 loss to Akron was one of the worse. Riding a 5 game win streak, on ESPN 2, playing for another conference East championship, and we blow a 21 point lead late in the 3rd quarter. Seemed to be the beginning of us losing the aurora around the program.
I still remember watching that game in our dorm room in TTE, one of the worst single game collapses I've seen.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT