ADVERTISEMENT

52 Points!

Never thought I would see us give up 52 points to Cincinnati!

I’m not looking to stir the pot, but did you see UC’s team? They are one of if not the top Group of 5 program in the country. Their OL was massive for a Group of 5 team. They look like a Power 5 team in terms of size, strength, and athleticism. Their QB is tough to gameplay against because in addition to his talent as a passer, you have to account for him running with the football as well.

Sometimes you just have to admit your outmatched.

Last edited:
Reactions: herd66
I’m not looking to stir the pot, but did you see UC’s team? They are one of if not the top Group of 5 program in the country. Their OL was massive for a Group of 5 team. They look like a Power 5 team in terms of size, strength, and athleticism. Their QB is tough to gameplay against because in addition to his talent as a passer, you have to account for him running with the football as well.

Sometimes you just have to admit your outmatched.[/QUOTE”]

UC is a solid G5 program nothing more. They will lose at least 2 more games and will not win the AAC. They didn’t crush Miami OH who is truly awful like they beat us. There is no sugarcoating this. We got destroyed by a fellow G5 at home. There is no amount of sugar coating or propping up UC to make them something they aren’t.

The MTSU game is now in front of us. Hopefully we get it together and take care of business or I think it’s going to be 2016 all over again.

@caliherd, there are three programs that are somewhat of outliers in the Group of 5 conferences. They are Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF. Two of them were at one time in “power” conferences and the other has had a great deal of success recently, along with a fast-growing enrollment that is already near the top in the country. They might not ever get an invitation to a Power 5 conference, but they have several significant advantages over the other Group of 5 schools.

-All 3 have at least a $25 million advantage in terms of athletic department budgets vs. Marshall.

-Those budgets allow them to spend significantly more to hire a head coach and assistant coaches, as well as larger support staffs.

-They are located in some of the top recruiting areas in the country.

-They have facilities that significantly exceed their peers. (Marshall does have top notch facilities for the Group of 5)

-They are all very large, public universities.

This is not a slight to Marshall. The size differential itself on the OL and DL Saturday was significant. I think the Thundering Herd bounce back this week.

Reactions: herd66 and Shark19
@caliherd, there are three programs that are somewhat of outliers in the Group of 5 conferences. They are Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF. Two of them were at one time in “power” conferences and the other has had a great deal of success recently, along with a fast-growing enrollment that is already near the top in the country. They might not ever get an invitation to a Power 5 conference, but they have several significant advantages over the other Group of 5 schools.

-All 3 have at least a $25 million advantage in terms of athletic department budgets vs. Marshall.

-Those budgets allow them to spend significantly more to hire a head coach and assistant coaches, as well as larger support staffs.

-They are located in some of the top recruiting areas in the country.

-They have facilities that significantly exceed their peers. (Marshall does have top notch facilities for the Group of 5)

-They are all very large, public universities.

This is not a slight to Marshall. The size differential itself on the OL and DL Saturday was significant. I think the Thundering Herd bounce back this week.

UCF Houston and Cincinnati have all recently sucked. So all of their money hasn’t meant squat. We stomped Cincinnati with a mediocre team as recently as 2 years ago. So no I’m not buying what you are selling.

Reactions: HerdFan73
UCF Houston and Cincinnati have all recently sucked. So all of their money hasn’t meant squat. We stomped Cincinnati with a mediocre team as recently as 2 years ago. So no I’m not buying what you are selling.

Tuberville struggled a lot at UC and Fickell had just gotten there. Look at where he has them now. All 3 of the programs have played in elite bowls within the last 10 years. Coaches from those schools have gone on to Texas, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Texas A&M, and Tennessee so they’ve all had to have a good bit of recent success. I’m not saying Marshall can’t ever compete with these schools, but at times games like Saturday are going to happen. The point differential shouldn’t have been as much as it was, but there was a talent disparity.

Reactions: Shark19
UC is a solid G5 program nothing more. They will lose at least 2 more games and will not win the AAC. They didn’t crush Miami OH who is truly awful like they beat us. There is no sugarcoating this. We got destroyed by a fellow G5 at home. There is no amount of sugar coating or propping up UC to make them something they aren’t.

What were you saying?

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
What were you saying?
Ok they beat UCF at home who lost the previous week to Pitt 27-24. Cincinnati will still lose 2 to 3 more games this year. They are a good team which I said they were but this game doesn’t mean crap on the fact they came into the Joan and beat us like a drum. This game didn’t make them Ohio State.

Ok they beat UCF at home who lost the previous week to Pitt 27-24. Cincinnati will still lose 2 to 3 more games this year. They are a good team which I said they were but this game doesn’t mean crap on the fact they came into the Joan and beat us like a drum. This game didn’t make them Ohio State.

Lol you also said they’d lose to UCF. There aren’t many programs that have had the success that the Knights have recently. This was an impressive win. I never said they were OSU either. I said they were one of, if not the top Group of 5 program.

Lol you also said they’d lose to UCF. There aren’t many programs that have had the success that the Knights have recently. This was an impressive win. I never said they were OSU either. I said they were one of, if not the top Group of 5 program.
No you are making excuses that the beat down we got by Cincinnati at home was justified because they beat UCF. I was wrong on UCF, I admit it, I thought they would beat UC. I also don’t think UC is a bad team, I have never said that. I just don’t think they are this super elite G5 team. I don’t think they will go to the Access Bowl and I don’t think they will win their conference but even if they do it won’t change the fact they shouldn’t stomp Marshall on our own field.

I never tried to justify it. I said the score should have been closer. However, anyone that was looking at both teams impartially could see what a size and speed advantage UC had. For whatever reason you don’t want to recognize the advantages they have or how talented of a Group of 5 team they are.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT