Charlotte - W

O.D. -W

MTSU -L

FIU -W

FAU -W

WKU - W

UTSA - L

S MISS. - W

And the Marshall bowl W to get to 9 wins.

Mark it down, you HERD it here first from TGE.

Marking it down Greenhouse and saving your post. When the smoke clears at the end of the season we will revisit your post. BTW you can't make any changes to your post.

Perfect, I wrote it I OWN it. If we make it to 8 pre bowl I get to waterboard Landon during the bowl tailgate while we broadcast it live over the internet!

This team was youthful and got their arses handed to them, there's more fight in that dog than we saw last season. They quit, I've never seen that before in a Marshall team but me thinks 17 will be a change in swag.

Time will tell.
TGE

Reactions: goherd73
Time will tell. I hope you are right. With no changes in the staff I do not see the improvement you are looking for. Again, I hope you are right and I am wrong.

This team was youthful and got their arses handed to them, there's more fight in that dog than we saw last season. They quit, I've never seen that before in a Marshall team but me thinks 17 will be a change in swag.

Time will tell.
TGE

My problem, and no I don't want Doc fired, but my whole problem with the folks that say this was an anomaly year or we were young as an excuse to winning 2 games against FBS opponents is the fact the majority of our schedule was played against teams ranked in the 100s. This wasn't a schedule made up of teams in the 50s or 60s and we were just too young to compete this was a schedule that even in a completely rebuilding year should have had 6 guaranteed wins on it. So that's my fear of why I don't have a ton of confidence that we will turn it around next year.
The only difference this year is we drop a mediocre ACC school Pitt, and replace it with a mediocre AAC school Cincinnati, and we drop a very good ACC school in Louisville for a mediocre ACC school in N C State and we drop a FCS team for an extra MAC school. So the strength of schedule will be similar to last year, a year, we all assumed we would win at least 8 games.

So that's why I have no confidence with no change to our OC or anybody else on the staff except the ones that left for other jobs that our record will be much different in 2017.

My problem, and no I don't want Doc fired, but my whole problem with the folks that say this was an anomaly year or we were young as an excuse to winning 2 games against FBS opponents is the fact the majority of our schedule was played against teams ranked in the 100s. This wasn't a schedule made up of teams in the 50s or 60s and we were just too young to compete this was a schedule that even in a completely rebuilding year should have had 6 guaranteed wins on it. So that's my fear of why I don't have a ton of confidence that we will turn it around next year.
The only difference this year is we drop a mediocre ACC school Pitt, and replace it with a mediocre AAC school Cincinnati, and we drop a very good ACC school in Louisville for a mediocre ACC school in N C State and we drop a FCS team for an extra MAC school. So the strength of schedule will be similar to last year, a year, we all assumed we would win at least 8 games.

So that's why I have no confidence with no change to our OC or anybody else on the staff except the ones that left for other jobs that our record will be much different in 2017.

Must have a funny definition of "mediocre". Pitt was not "mediocre" by any stretch of the imagination. Winning season, bowl appearance and, I believe, a regular season win over somebody named "Clemson".

Reactions: ohio herd
Must have a funny definition of "mediocre". Pitt was not "mediocre" by any stretch of the imagination. Winning season, bowl appearance and, I believe, a regular season win over somebody named "Clemson".

Yes Pitt edged CLEMSON in Death Valley, 43-42....but a school from ther Big 10....NORTHWESTERN beat the Panthers in Yankee Stadium, 31---24.... Northwestern, the same school that lost to W. Michigan, Illinois State, Nebraska, ohio state, Wisconsin, Minnesota------SIX losses.

Pretty "mediocre"...in my book....

HerdZilla22

You are right they were a powerhouse.

No, doofus, they were probably something between "mediocre" and a "powerhouse", as are most FBS schools. They were certainly a formidable opponent for a CUSA school like MU. The kind of opponent most Herd fans were applauding AD Mike Hamrick for scheduling. I guess you'd prefer MU's schedule consist of 12 games with the NE Patriots!!

Yes Pitt edged CLEMSON in Death Valley, 43-42....but a school from ther Big 10....NORTHWESTERN beat the Panthers in Yankee Stadium, 31---24.... Northwestern, the same school that lost to W. Michigan, Illinois State, Nebraska, ohio state, Wisconsin, Minnesota------SIX losses.

Pretty "mediocre"...in my book....

HerdZilla22

Can play that kind of game in about any situation, Zilla. Let's see, Cuz in law's basketball team this season has lost to pretty mediocre teams so far this season like Southern Miss and Eastern Kentucky who have lost to mediocre teams like . . . etc., etc., etc.!!

No, doofus, they were probably something between "mediocre" and a "powerhouse", as are most FBS schools. They were certainly a formidable opponent for a CUSA school like MU. The kind of opponent most Herd fans were applauding AD Mike Hamrick for scheduling. I guess you'd prefer MU's schedule consist of 12 games with the NE Patriots!!

They were the finest 8-5 team in the country. Literally the entire year I heard all of the talking heads in the country talking about the powerhouse that was the Pitt Panthers in 2016. Those darn pesky 5 losses are still considered one of the great mysteries of the past college football season.

You are right I want Marshall to play the NFL Super Bowl champs every game all season. You are a constant source of amazing opinions. The incredible way of how you know what I'm thinking is outstanding. I honestly think you should go into the sports reporting business with those kind of instincts.

And calling someone a doofus for having a different opinion from you well not only do you have unquestioned sports opinions you are also a master wordsmith. Thank you so much for allowing me to post on the oldeherd message boards!!

"There in the middle of a Charleston night, we ran into Jessico White..." What I wouldn't give to get some of sister Mamie's coochie!

They were the finest 8-5 team in the country. Literally the entire year I heard all of the talking heads in the country talking about the powerhouse that was the Pitt Panthers in 2016. Those darn pesky 5 losses are still considered one of the great mysteries of the past college football season.

You are right I want Marshall to play the NFL Super Bowl champs every game all season. You are a constant source of amazing opinions. The incredible way of how you know what I'm thinking is outstanding. I honestly think you should go into the sports reporting business with those kind of instincts.

And calling someone a doofus for having a different opinion from you well not only do you have unquestioned sports opinions you are also a master wordsmith. Thank you so much for allowing me to post on the oldeherd message boards!!

Oh, forgive me, all omniscient caliherd, the fountainhead of all knowledge and possessor of the ONLY opinion that Counts.

So we disagree on who is mediocre and who is not. I guess that anyone who offers an opinion which differs from yours is "amazing". You can post on here whenever you want, cali, whether or not there is any "thinking" behind said posts, I'm sure. And, apologies for use of the word doofus, you're right, I don't know you, so I don't want to give you more or less credit than you truly deserve!

Last edited:
Oh, forgive me, all omniscient caliherd, the fountainhead of all knowledge and possessor of the ONLY opinion that Counts.

So we disagree on who is mediocre and who is not. I guess that anyone who offers an opinion which differs from yours is "amazing". You can post on here whenever you want, cali, whether or not there is any "thinking" behind said posts, I'm sure. And, apologies for use of the word doofus, you're right, I don't know you, so I don't want to give you more or less credit than you truly deserve!

Actually oldeherd I apologize I actually like the majority of your posts. I don't need to be one of the dbags that can't take a different opinion from mine which I did. We just disagree on this opinion but that's as far as it should go and in the end we are all Herd fans no matter how different our opinions may be occasionally.

Actually oldeherd I apologize I actually like the majority of your posts. I don't need to be one of the dbags that can't take a different opinion from mine which I did. We just disagree on this opinion but that's as far as it should go and in the end we are all Herd fans no matter how different our opinions may be occasionally.

Agree caliherd, with tenor of your post. I can go a little overboard on some posts, and don't mean to offend. Thank goodness we're free to have differing opinions and live in a country that allows such freedom. We're ALL HERD FANS (I hope) and that's the main and most important thing on sites like this!!

Agree caliherd, with tenor of your post. I can go a little overboard on some posts, and don't mean to offend. Thank goodness we're free to have differing opinions and live in a country that allows such freedom. We're ALL HERD FANS (I hope) and that's the main and most important thing on sites like this!!

EXCELLENT "hands out to friendships"
....to both oldeherd & caliherd...you used good judgement and "agreed to disagree"...BECAUSE at the end of the day...WE all want what is BEST for Marshall University. Even, I can go overboard sometimes when I disagree. Bad on my part. LOL

HerdZilla22 (Sweeney) in Charlotte

I optimistically look for anywhere between a 7 and 9 win season......had last season played out to expectations, I could totally have seen an access bowl berth in the making this year, but sadly that's not what happened.

With the Florida schools adding top notch coaches for conference USA, it'll be hard to get to the six win mark I think. This group has to learn to win together again. I think getting to a bowl would be a great year this year, and would give Doc something to build on. Another 3-4 win season would make it a very tough rebuild for the next coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT