ADVERTISEMENT

A few quick takeaways.....

Josh Stowers

Staff Writer
Jan 19, 2007
1) Not many people may have noticed it, but Marshall was w/o one of their starting DT’s for basically the entire game. Jamare Edwards went down on the 1st or 2nd series for Appy State and never returned. This is just another example of the depth we have this year. We turned out a dominant defensive showing without a key contributor up front. Also, shoutout to Immanuel Bush who played A TON at DT yesterday as a true freshman. Big time future ahead of him I think.

2) App St’s cornerbacks were damn good and the fact that they play a “quarters” style of defense only makes them better. This allows them to be physical on LOS just as long as they don’t beat on the sideline. With that said, Marshall exposed that method with Xavier Gaines’ big play. They ran a combo route on the inside and their safety was LOST. Great adjustments made by Coach Cramsey.

3) Like I’ve said all along, Grant Wells doesn’t get too high and he doesn’t get too low. He just plays the game. Yesterday was a prime example of that. He struggled early, collected himself, and led his team to victory.

4) I said it in another thread. We bullied them. Our physicality was too much for them. Shoutout to Coach Luke Day and his staff.

5) The defense. Simply incredible game planning and execution. I realize it’s part of the game and it went both ways, but if you take away those penalties on their scoring drive, I think we’re talking about another shut out. 3.5 points per game is all we’re allowing so far. That’s the least amount of points allowed through two games since 1993 for a Marshall defense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News