ADVERTISEMENT

AAC membership

What do you guys want?

Marshall (and really its huge outlyer, ECU) do not belong in the fraud AAC. The AAC is based on being IN, but not SIGNIFICANT IN, some major metro. Huntington, nor "the advantage valley" or whatever the Charleston politicians want to call the whole area, is just not a major metro.

So a 30 plus post thread, after a WINNING game week, heading into what, pre-season, looked like the team to beat, on conference membership?

What a sad and pathetic life some of you all lead.

The excitement for Marshall football is dwindling. Maybe it's because I'm getting older and don't follow the boards as much and all that stuff but I feel a palpable decrease in excitement for Herd football since The Snyder days. That era of football really tanked this program and then add Doc and the issues with teams leaving CUSA and us getting left in the dust, it has been a buzz kill. When I first came to Marshall there was a ton of excitement. We had all these Heisman finalists, top 25 teams, moving up to D1. The landscape of college football has left us behind. It's just not the same anymore. Tons of empty seats.

The excitement for Marshall football is dwindling. Maybe it's because I'm getting older and don't follow the boards as much and all that stuff but I feel a palpable decrease in excitement for Herd football since The Snyder days. That era of football really tanked this program and then add Doc and the issues with teams leaving CUSA and us getting left in the dust, it has been a buzz kill. When I first came to Marshall there was a ton of excitement. We had all these Heisman finalists, top 25 teams, moving up to D1. The landscape of college football has left us behind. It's just not the same anymore. Tons of empty seats.
I'll be 32 years old next week. In the past two years, I've gotten married, had back surgery, diagnosed with cancer, went through 6 months of chemo/radiation, & bought a house. My enthusiasm MU football is like 10% of what it used to be. I've thought that it's just an age thing, accompanied with everything I've gone through, making me realize what is actually important in life. Then I see other people post stuff like this and wonder if there actually is something to it and not just me.

Reactions: munotwvu342
While money is important, it is way overblown relative to success. If we can't compete with schools that have 10-15 million more in revenue how does WVU become a top 10 team when there are several schools that have 50-100 million more revenue than they do? How is a school like UCF able to consistently beat P5 schools who have budgets that are 30-40 million higher than theirs?

To be successful the most important factor is for leadership to not allow for challenges to be used as excuses. If you don't start there, with a real belief that challenges are opportunities, everything else is meaningless. If you allow the excuse mentality then the AD, coaches, players and fans all have an easy out for their failures.

When WVU was in the Big Least their revenue was something like $40 million (I'm guessing). Now that they are in the Big 12 - 2, their revenue has skyrocketed to roughly $120 million. When you get to that level $10m or $20m more just doesn't make a whole lot of difference. You have enough revenue to pretty much whatever you want to do in the way of facilities, salaries, etc.

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan
their revenue has skyrocketed to roughly $120 million. When you get to that level $10m or $20m more just doesn't make a whole lot of difference. You have enough revenue to pretty much whatever you want to do in the way of facilities, salaries, etc.
That's revenue, not profit. WVU has to spend a SHIT TON of money to keep up with the OUs and UTs of the world. They have quite a few existing bonds to pay back as well. Their AD can't simply write blank checks whenever they want like you're implying.

The "profit" at WVU athletics is, umm, a negative $4,167,480. Not including many facilities, coach travel, and debt service, which are carried in the general college budget.

While certainly a particular physical plant investment needed to be "first class" at some point you have everything you need. You think Nick Saban, or ANY coach at the top 50 or so schools, has EVER said "boy I wish we could afford to buy us one of those __________, because if we had one, watch out."

Anyway, back to the AAC envy. Which just leads to football anhedonia, of which many of you seem to be suffering from. If you cannot enjoy MU football without the mighty Tulane Green Wave, UConn Huskies, Tulsa Hurricane and the other randos, then you need to move on to another hobby. This isn't for you.

I'll be 32 years old next week. In the past two years, I've gotten married, had back surgery, diagnosed with cancer, went through 6 months of chemo/radiation, & bought a house. My enthusiasm MU football is like 10% of what it used to be. I've thought that it's just an age thing, accompanied with everything I've gone through, making me realize what is actually important in life. Then I see other people post stuff like this and wonder if there actually is something to it and not just me.
Keep fightin man. The one thing I try to keep in mind is what else is there to do in the fall but to watch our favorite teams play.

Reactions: munotwvu342
Doc had the excitement coming back with those 10 win seasons but the 2016 team really killed his momentum at Marshall and Im not sure he ever gets it back

Reactions: 31Herd55
Doc had the excitement coming back with those 10 win seasons but the 2016 team really killed his momentum at Marshall and Im not sure he ever gets it back
Now that fans are seeing Bill Legg was not the cause of the bland offense it actually upsets me that Doc would throw his longtime friend under the bus because fans were complaining so much.....Im off the opinion know that changing OC's hurt this team more then it helped.

I wont say Hamrick is elite, but he's done pretty darn well... Especially when you consider the reign of his predecessor.

Doc has been fine. Like was said above, a solid hire but not spectacular.

MH has improved the football schedule with more regional nonconference games. Pitt, NCSU, Cincy, East Carolina, Navy, Ohio, etc.

The indoor practice facility got built, the soccer stadium got built, the Cam has gotten a few upgrades and hopefully a baseball stadium will be coming soon.

MHs home run was the Dantoni hire. Which a lot of us thought was idiotic when it happened. Having a basketball program that has gone from bottom feeder to CUSA champs is a huge asset and a feather in both their caps.

RhinoD, agree about MH but in reality Attila the Hun, Hitler and the pillar of salt formerly known as Lot's wife all look pretty good compared to Hamrick's predecessor!

Wow! FIFTY ONE posts in this thread.

On a winning week, heading into what should be the best game of the year, two games from bowl eligibility and Homecoming to boot; with Street & Smith ranking the Herd 25th nationally in basketball, a FIFTY ONE post bitchfest about conference membership.

The AAC envy is strong here.

Wow! Sean, hope you are cured and doing well. Life can throw us some big time curves, 2018 has been brutal. Makes one really focus on what’s important.

Last edited:
Reactions: GreenDuke
Wow! FIFTY ONE posts in this thread.

On a winning week, heading into what should be the best game of the year, two games from bowl eligibility and Homecoming to boot; with Street & Smith ranking the Herd 25th nationally in basketball, a FIFTY ONE post bitchfest about conference membership.

The AAC envy is strong here.
Good point about the hoops team

The "profit" at WVU athletics is, umm, a negative $4,167,480. Not including many facilities, coach travel, and debt service, which are carried in the general college budget.

WVU's total athletic revenue is over $110 million and their total expenses are a little over $89 million. How does that translate into a $4 million deficit ?

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT