ADVERTISEMENT

About last night... App State edition

RhinoD

Gold Buffalo
Mar 7, 2007
So Ive waited my 24 hours... But boy do I have thoughts.

First, that is the most pissed off Marshall fans I've seen in a long time making the slow march out of the stadium after our team got absolutely embarrassed. There was talk about skipping the rest of the games this year, not renewing donations, etc. People are over this garbage, and I don't mean random Joe's, I mean people who write large checks every year, buy season tickets, travel to away games, etc. We are at a tipping point with this program.

Last night was my 7th game of the season in person (I didn't make the trip for Albany and couldnt do JMU on a Thursday) and its the first time that I have openly questioned effort. I haven't seen an MU team lay down in quite a while, but in the second half our guys were toast. No emotion, no excitement, just going through the motions en route to an ass kicking. It was so "meh" that phoning it is probably too generous.

As for the game... I dont know what I can add that the score doesn't already tell us.

We started Fancher, to audible sighs from the MU faithful in section 209... HIs first pass was our best slow-developing WR screen for -5 yards, and that about summed up Fancher's performance... Thanks to a good start by the defense, we somehow grabbed a 3-0 lead! Hooray! We made a field goal and got the lead!

Then we proceeded to completely fall apart.

The defense, having been on the field too much, started to wear down. Fancher threw one of the worst interceptions I can remember and handed App more points. Surely that would lead to another QB coming in right? - Nope. We are going to let ole 14 suck forever, unless he gets seriously injured.

The offensive line was overmatched... Fancher was awful... The WRs actually had an okay day collectively... Ali was invisible.
The defensive line played well... Linebackers were no where to be seen... The secondary was bad and we completely blew two coverages and gave up two easy TDs because no one was covering the receiver. App State watches film apparently, because they ran the same pass play that NC State killed us with and danced down the seem for a couple of long completions (one for a TD). We dont adjust, so I assume Georgia Southern will also run the same play next week.

Special teams was a train wreck as usual... Our kicker had a decent night but our return game was putrid (despite delivering the best pass of the game on an ill-advised throw back kick return that got the returner drilled at the 17).

Overall, it's time to cut bait... I dont know if that means getting rid of Huff (I dont know what his contract looks like or who we can afford to replace him). But we at the very least need to make a QB change, send Trickett packing at the end of the season and same with the special teams coach (maybe Semore too). It's time to let another QB learn on the job for three weeks and not worry about the score of the game. The season is a loss, lets start getting young guys ready for 2024.

Great post. Until we get serious about paying a coach we can expect these types of results. A good coach will pay for himself many times over. No way we fire Huff at the end of this year. My guess is he gets a 2 year extension as we finish fading off into obscurity.

Great post. Until we get serious about paying a coach we can expect these types of results. A good coach will pay for himself many times over. No way we fire Huff at the end of this year. My guess is he gets a 2 year extension as we finish fading off into obscurity.
Huff is making about 750k in Huntington WV, I make about a 6th of that and I live just fine. 750k should make one put all his effort into producing championships, however possible. He can make more after he brings home the trophy and moves on..

Fire Trick Daddy and find some old washed up OC/QB coach that has proven himself..

Last edited:
I think someone has posted coaches salaries before and we certainly weren't the highest but also did not have the lowest salary for our head coach position as compared to our (conference) peers.

So Ive waited my 24 hours... But boy do I have thoughts.

First, that is the most pissed off Marshall fans I've seen in a long time making the slow march out of the stadium after our team got absolutely embarrassed. There was talk about skipping the rest of the games this year, not renewing donations, etc. People are over this garbage, and I don't mean random Joe's, I mean people who write large checks every year, buy season tickets, travel to away games, etc. We are at a tipping point with this program.

Last night was my 7th game of the season in person (I didn't make the trip for Albany and couldnt do JMU on a Thursday) and its the first time that I have openly questioned effort. I haven't seen an MU team lay down in quite a while, but in the second half our guys were toast. No emotion, no excitement, just going through the motions en route to an ass kicking. It was so "meh" that phoning it is probably too generous.

As for the game... I dont know what I can add that the score doesn't already tell us.

We started Fancher, to audible sighs from the MU faithful in section 209... HIs first pass was our best slow-developing WR screen for -5 yards, and that about summed up Fancher's performance... Thanks to a good start by the defense, we somehow grabbed a 3-0 lead! Hooray! We made a field goal and got the lead!

Then we proceeded to completely fall apart.

The defense, having been on the field too much, started to wear down. Fancher threw one of the worst interceptions I can remember and handed App more points. Surely that would lead to another QB coming in right? - Nope. We are going to let ole 14 suck forever, unless he gets seriously injured.

The offensive line was overmatched... Fancher was awful... The WRs actually had an okay day collectively... Ali was invisible.
The defensive line played well... Linebackers were no where to be seen... The secondary was bad and we completely blew two coverages and gave up two easy TDs because no one was covering the receiver. App State watches film apparently, because they ran the same pass play that NC State killed us with and danced down the seem for a couple of long completions (one for a TD). We dont adjust, so I assume Georgia Southern will also run the same play next week.

Special teams was a train wreck as usual... Our kicker had a decent night but our return game was putrid (despite delivering the best pass of the game on an ill-advised throw back kick return that got the returner drilled at the 17).

Overall, it's time to cut bait... I dont know if that means getting rid of Huff (I dont know what his contract looks like or who we can afford to replace him). But we at the very least need to make a QB change, send Trickett packing at the end of the season and same with the special teams coach (maybe Semore too). It's time to let another QB learn on the job for three weeks and not worry about the score of the game. The season is a loss, lets start getting young guys ready for 2024.
embarrassing loss. So many problems right now.

here is my prediction, Nothing will change. Who knows we might win one of the final 3 games. Huff will be back next year. He will tell us how great a recruiter he is with the addition of 15-20 more P5 portal players and we will get pummeled even more next year.

here is my prediction, Nothing will change. Who knows we might win one of the final 3 games. Huff will be back next year. He will tell us how great a recruiter he is with the addition of 15-20 more P5 portal players and we will get pummeled even more next year.
Agree. Even if we got a totally new staff, next year would be tough any way - unless the new staff got wildly successful in the portal.

Looking at 2025 until we may be solid again. Jmho

Agree. Even if we got a totally new staff, next year would be tough any way - unless the new staff got wildly successful in the portal.

Looking at 2025 until we may be solid again. Jmho
Next year we go to Ohio State and go to Virginia Tech (who appear to be getting their shit together)... I dont care if Knute Rockne is the head coach with Woody Hayes and Bobby Bowden as coordinators, next year is going to be an uphill battle.

That's why we need wholesale changes now... Let Pennington learn, rotate in some young LBs, DBs, etc. There is no substitute for game reps... If we trot out the lineup we've gotten absolutely waxed with the last four games next year, Ohio State will be pulling their starters before halftime.

Next year we go to Ohio State and go to Virginia Tech (who appear to be getting their shit together)... I dont care if Knute Rockne is the head coach with Woody Hayes and Bobby Bowden as coordinators, next year is going to be an uphill battle.

That's why we need wholesale changes now... Let Pennington learn, rotate in some young LBs, DBs, etc. There is no substitute for game reps... If we trot out the lineup we've gotten absolutely waxed with the last four games next year, Ohio State will be pulling their starters before halftime.
I'm sure Huff is still holding onto some desperate cling of hope in us winning out and becoming bowl eligible. If he could top off the season with an impressive bowl win, he may still have a chance at getting a new job. In that regard, I fully support his self-serving plan at long as he's gone.

Hopefully, if/most likely when we lose our next game, he will admit defeat and stop trying to play Fancher.

rotate in some young LBs, DBs, etc. There is no substitute for game reps...
We've been doing this for the last 3-4 weeks because of various injuries on the defense. Yates has gotten more playing time. We've also started freshman in the secondary.

Hopefully, if/most likely when we lose our next game, he will admit defeat and stop trying to play Fancher.
Start Fancher, throw the short yard sideline pass, run Ali to the left even without a hole, throw a slant pass just short of the line to gain, go for it on 4th with the obvious run to the right because Ali is on Fanchers left, and take the 3 yard loss and turnover… then maybe just maybe he will try something else

Start Fancher, throw the short yard sideline pass, run Ali to the left even without a hole, throw a slant pass just short of the line to gain, go for it on 4th with the obvious run to the right because Ali is on Fanchers left, and take the 3 yard loss and turnover… then maybe just maybe he will try something else

What I dont understand is why we don't try something different with Fancher and company. We constantly get told how great and athlete he is, let's take advantage of that instead of trying to make him something he will never be.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan

What I dont understand is why we don't try something different with Fancher and company. We constantly get told how great and athlete he is, let's take advantage of that instead of trying to make him something he will never be.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT