ADVERTISEMENT

About last night... Stony Brook edition

RhinoD

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Mar 7, 2007
Marshall
marshall.forums.rivals.com
So to start a new season with a "W" is always better than the alternative... Here are some of the good, the bad, and the ugly observations from last night's win.

Editor's Note: Stony Brook is probably the worst Division I team in the county (FBS or FCS). They looked like a 4A high school squad.

The Good --
• We dominated the line of scrimmage, especially on the defensive line. Played well against the run, got pressure, moved guys around all night.
• Tuner showed what he can do as a lead back... He's our fastest RB and we are going to need him to grow into "the guy."
• WR by committee worked... Metcalf is a very nice addition. He's that kind of security blanket slot guy that QBs love.
• QB play wasn't an issue... 3 played, all did some good things, but the caliber of opponent makes it hard to assess.
• We protected the ball and did well in field position all night.
• Verhoff made a FG longer than 40 yards and Totten bombed it through the end zone consistently.

The Bad --
• Yet another slow start... It didn't matter that we did next to nothing in the first half against Stony Brook. It will matter against equal or better opponents.
• Mother Nature... It wasn't exactly raucous before the lightning, but afterward it was like watching a football game at a funeral. (Not anyone's fault)
• Secondary play... They weren't necessarily bad, but they remain untested. Stony Brook's passing game was awful and so was their offensive line.

The Ugly --
• The two-color tarps... Rain... New prison fencing around the stadium (I mean "expanded concourse")

Overall, take the win and start getting ready for next week... No one is going to ask me, but I would probably start Braxton. He looked healthy, fast, and he wasn't afraid to let it go down the field.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.