ADVERTISEMENT

After 4 games my take on the Herd

ohio herd

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2012
At the start of the season I thought it would take the first 4 games to get a feel for on this years team . Here is my view . I think Stone Earl is doing a solid job. He isn’t going to be the next Cato but he is serviceable and I believe can win us some games. Turner has great potential and serves us well. The OL is playing better that I expect so props to them . Our WR have some talent but still drop some passes they should catch. The defense is about what I thought the one kid Mike Greenis lights out. They are plenty good enough to keep us in every game. I really think we have a chance to win the conference championship this year.

Last edited:
At the start of the season I thought it would take the first 4 games to get a feel for on this years team . Here is my view . I think Stone Earl is doing a solid job. He isn’t going to be the next Cato but he is serviceable and I believe can win us some games. Turner has great potential and serves us well. The OL is playing better that I expect so props to them . Our WR have some talent but still drop some passes they should catch. The defense is about what I thought the one kid Mike Greenis lights out. They are plenty good enough to keep us in every game. I really think we have a chance to win the conference championship this year.

I wish I shared your optimism.

1. Looks like our run defense might be genuinely bad. That is always an issue for a team .

2. Have you seen JMU ?

As of today we are not a championship caliber team, but we are better than last year. I’m confused with some stuff as it happens, not as bad as the refs with downs, but still confused.

For example, Turner now has 348 yards rushing on 30 carries. How does a guy averaging over 11 yards per carry only average 7.5 touches per game? Houston has 115 yards on 33 carries. I understand keeping guys fresh, but a 20 yo should be able to carry the ball more than 8 times over 3 1/2 hours. He hasn’t had more than 9 carries in any of the first 4 games. Our QB gets more designed carries than a RB averaging 11 ypc. I’m starting to wonder if Stone is just playing a little hero ball, especially close to the goal line.

Next, we throw a 32 yard TD to our TE and never target him again. Was the TD, where he was wide open, an indication of a mismatch or a fluke? Don’t know, we never looked at him again.

On defense we just look disorganized. Many blown assignments, no gap discipline in the run game. We seem to just not be dialed in because I think we have talent. The LBers don’t shed blocks very well and try to run around them which gives too many cut back lanes. Got to work on that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT