ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING Alex Mirabal....

Greg Adkins would be fine. Whoever it is will have a lot of young talent to work with.

Garin Justice would be a solid choice. He impressed while at FAU enough to get a Power 5 coaching offer.

He just took the OL Job at UNLV when Rich Rod was fired.

Vegas or Huntington? Unless you are Mike Hamrick and you burn bridges in Vegas, you dont pick Huntington over Vegas.

Reactions: Sash19
Adkins has had a pretty long run as an O line Coach. Believe he played for Jim Donnan at MU and then followed him to GA and coached there. Later he coached the same position at Tennessee, maybe under Fullmer. Believe he was coaching at Oklahoma State and let go there before landing at Charlotte. From his SEC days, he probably could help the Herd's recruiting in places like Georgia, Tennessee and possibly Alabama.

Maybe you don't but there are some who would. Vegas is an absolute mess. Visiting is one thing, living there is another.

I go to Vegas anywhere from 3-6 weeks a year on business and have for the last decade.......I like Vegas, I enjoy visiting Vegas........living there? I could, but for now I'll easily take Huntington or Charleston West by God.

I go to Vegas anywhere from 3-6 weeks a year on business and have for the last decade.......I like Vegas, I enjoy visiting Vegas........living there? I could, but for now I'll easily take Huntington or Charleston West by God.

Can we choose "none of the above"? Maybe import Vegas' climate to WV...and here too for that matter, I am tired of humidity.

Reactions: whf2
has accepted the OL job at Oregon.
interesting structure to me. Mirabel will coach the C, & OG, a GA coaches the OT's and the HC will also be the OL coach. Sounds like a lot of cooks!

✔@BruceFeldmanCFB

SOURCE: #Oregon is hiring #Marshall OL coach Alex Mirabal to work w/ the Ducks centers & guards. GA Cody Woodiel will work w/ the OTs. Mario Cristobal will be the O-line coach. Mirabal goes way back with Cristobal & worked for him at FIU. Grant Taylor 1st reported Mirabal's hire.

Reactions: FballMD

Vegas or Huntington? Unless you are Mike Hamrick and you burn bridges in Vegas, you dont pick Huntington over Vegas.

UNLV, a dumpster fire when Hamrick took over.
UNLV, a dumpster fire when Hamrick left.
UNLV will always be a dumpster fire.

UNLV, a dumpster fire when Hamrick took over.
UNLV, a dumpster fire when Hamrick left.
UNLV will always be a dumpster fire.

That wasn’t his point....there are a couple places where certain people aren’t looked upon in the best light.

I had heard he was now at UNLV, but I thought it would be a chance for him to return closer to home and to coach at a better program than UNLV. It would be an excellent hire for Marshall.

Reactions: Herd Fever
I had heard he was now at UNLV, but I thought it would be a chance for him to return closer to home and to coach at a better program than UNLV. It would be an excellent hire for Marshall.

yea he is the Run Game Coordinator and OL Coach there

Do you want a guy never bowled in his life to show you how to bowl
well then would you take Jeff Stoutland?? This aint bowling.

Do you even know who Jeff Stoutland is? Or do you just bowl with out knowing how to bowl?

Last edited:
Always an exception to the norm.

I'm just telling you my preference and what I think is best. Y'all think our OL was great and I disagree. It's struggled many and most years. Cato made it work because he could escape. Chase had few games with a lot of time and they rarely opened holes even against average defensive lined. Keep wearing the green glasses though

I'm just telling you my preference and what I think is best. Y'all think our OL was great and I disagree. It's struggled many and most years. Cato made it work because he could escape. Chase had few games with a lot of time and they rarely opened holes even against average defensive lined. Keep wearing the green glasses though
You said you had to play OL to coach OL, we weren't talking about how MU played.
Exception?
Do you wouldn't have Juan Castillo coach your OL?

I said I prefer. I didn't say they had to. Difference. I'd rather a former qb being a qb coach than a former accountant or kicker being a qb coach

I said I prefer. I didn't say they had to. Difference. I'd rather a former qb being a qb coach than a former accountant or kicker being a qb coach
so you wouldn't want say Joe Kirvak or Kevin Rogers as your QB coach? got it.
Probably won't want Mike Leach as HC. got it.
IMO you put way too much emphasis on having played the position as opposed to coaching the position. You would miss out on a lot of good coaches.

I don't know that I agree with having to be an OL to coach that position, but I certainly can see the rationale behind this.

What I do agree with is what you were saying in regards to O-line performance. I think our line has consistently protected the QB over the past few years, but opening up running lanes has been average, especially since Devon Johnson left. The difference being he was just a beast and would plow his own way through the defensive line, not that they were opening up lanes then either.

Reactions: FballMD
well then would you take Jeff Stoutland?? This aint bowling.

Do you even know who Jeff Stoutland is? Or do you just bowl with out knowing how to bowl?

Stoutland was a great OL coach but a horrible recruiter and evaluator of HS OL talent.

Stoutland was a great OL coach but a horrible recruiter and evaluator of HS OL talent.
point is how could he be a great OL coach if he didn't play the position? (which is why his name came up, we weren't talking recruiting)

I think our line has consistently protected the QB over the past few years, but opening up running lanes has been average, especially since Devon Johnson left. The difference being he was just a beast and would plow his own way through the defensive line, not that they were opening up lanes then either.

Not saying that the OL doesn't need to continue to improve on run blocking but I have two points. 1) The OL can only do what they are asked to do. We have been more focused on gap integrity than vertical push. I don't know if this OL can climb to the next level on a consistent basis; I just know the focus has been elsewhere. 2) I agree that our running game was better with Devon at RB, but I disagree as to why. Look back at film and tell me how many times he "plowed" through the defense and made his own yards. Just so you don't waste a lot of time I'll tell you the answer: Not so many. We had better rushing numbers with Rock because he was more consistent at running with his pads down and his eyes up. He could make those little lateral cuts in the line. He found the cutback lanes. He hit holes hard and fast, with good vision, and he got north as soon as he could. Since Rock, we have had flashes of those skills, but nothing like the consistency he brought us.

Last edited:
Reactions: pdbailey and ToesMU
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT