ADVERTISEMENT

ALEX THOMSON

Poor guy was wasted talent.

He got his chance. He wasn't much better. By the 2nd quarter of the USM game last year everyone wanted him benched. I watched him in practice and he never really did much to push Green much less take his job. Take the VMI game for example. He throws a perfect 50 yard TD and then the next series he takes off running backwards and loses 20.

I also wonder if his shoulder was actually able to play a full season. I wish we could have seen him play pre-injury.

Last edited:
It's a shame all of the archives have been deleted regarding Thomson's original signing so that I could say "told you so" to the numerous people who argued against me.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
I’ll play: The guy is added to the team, heralded as the prototype NFL caliber QB by none other than a former Super Bowl winning QB. He looks great on tape: throws well, scrambles well and runs really fast! Gets here, re-injures his arm, sees limited action the two seasons he’s here. Doesn’t push the starter & does not earn the confidence of the HC. Maybe “didn’t live up to his potential” is more gentle, but a wasted opportunity is more accurate...

Reactions: herd66
But who wasted the opportunity? I read it as the coaches, or Marshall wasted the opportunity. Which is what I was questioning

I’ll play: The guy is added to the team, heralded as the prototype NFL caliber QB by none other than a former Super Bowl winning QB. He looks great on tape: throws well, scrambles well and runs really fast! Gets here, re-injures his arm, sees limited action the two seasons he’s here. Doesn’t push the starter & does not earn the confidence of the HC. Maybe “didn’t live up to his potential” is more gentle, but a wasted opportunity is more accurate...

Or you believed message board people that hyped him up. There were a few of us that said there were red flags. To this day I don't know what anyone saw in him. He played at Wagner which is the bottom end of the FCS and didn't have that much success. On top of of that he was coming off shoulder surgery and hadn't thrown a live ball in almost a year. All we had was Phil Simms selling his client.

He had Willy Korn written all over him. To me it shows how little trust the staff has had in Green and the rest of the QBs on the roster and panicked when Litton left early. They took a flyer on a QB that they hadn't see throw against live competition in nearly a year and it might have been longer. They were hoping he'd come in with his starting experience(against horrible competition) and buy them another season or two. Anyone that thought he was a draft quality player was a fool. Birdsong was much of the same. The staff was banking on Blake staying and he left then we had some other QBs transfer out and were left with Litton and Holcombe who had regressed.

Stop buying the hype and you won't be disappointed. Look at Tavin Richardson. Another example of a player hyped up by the message boards. He tumbled down the UK depth chart. Nothing showed he was going to come and here and be great for us yet people were acting like he was going to be this next great thing.

Since the championship in 2014 this staff keeps bringing in stop gap players because they haven't recruited well enough.

AT wasted his opportunity to get some much needed positive exposure in hopes of the NFL.

How did he waste it? He wasn't good enough or physically able to play. Wasting an opportunity is Tyler King who couldn't stay out of trouble and is now at a D-II program. Thomson got his opportunity. He just wasn't good enough.

Or you believed message board people that hyped him up. There were a few of us that said there were red flags. To this day I don't know what anyone saw in him. He played at Wagner which is the bottom end of the FCS and didn't have that much success. On top of of that he was coming off shoulder surgery and hadn't thrown a live ball in almost a year. All we had was Phil Simms selling his client.

He had Willy Korn written all over him. To me it shows how little trust the staff has had in Green and the rest of the QBs on the roster and panicked when Litton left early. They took a flyer on a QB that they hadn't see throw against live competition in nearly a year and it might have been longer. They were hoping he'd come in with his starting experience(against horrible competition) and buy them another season or two. Anyone that thought he was a draft quality player was a fool. Birdsong was much of the same. The staff was banking on Blake staying and he left then we had some other QBs transfer out and were left with Litton and Holcombe who had regressed.

Stop buying the hype and you won't be disappointed. Look at Tavin Richardson. Another example of a player hyped up by the message boards. He tumbled down the UK depth chart. Nothing showed he was going to come and here and be great for us yet people were acting like he was going to be this next great thing.

Since the championship in 2014 this staff keeps bringing in stop gap players because they haven't recruited well enough.
yea, the mistake here was bringing him in period.

I am of the opinion it's a combination of being over hyped by Simms and others; and that his shoulder injury was so bad, it will take years to heal fully, if ever. He can use it short term but doubt he could last a whole game or two. Feel bad for the guy.

I am of the opinion it's a combination of being over hyped by Simms and others; and that his shoulder injury was so bad, it will take years to heal fully, if ever. He can use it short term but doubt he could last a whole game or two. Feel bad for the guy.

I don't think Simms really over-hyped him. You could tell he was just selling his client. So many read into his comments that Phil was saying that Thomson was NFL starting material when all he said was,"

“He can play at any level,” Simms said. “There’s no question. If things fall right [with his college situation], I definitely think he’s a pro prospect. I don’t even have to hesitate to say that.”

“I think he’s an NFL quarterback,” Scangarello said. “I have no doubt about it. He’s athletic, smart and tough, and he’s just scratching the surface as a player. He’s as good as the back-up quarterbacks in the NFL right now. I really believe that. He’s legit.”

I mean a back-up NFL QB is still pretty good, but you had so many taking these statements and exaggerating them into Thomson being a 1st-2nd round draft pick and leaving Marshall after just one season. The issue around here is that there is too much unwarranted hype on recruits we get and people buy it hook, line, and sinker. 100% of the time every time. Unless we're signing a Yulee we all need to pump our breaks. Mark it down. Before you'll see write ups from the mods here and in other publications about how this position group or that one or this player or that one is poised for a big year. How this year the team is ready to take the next step. It never happens. How many "players to watch" over the last several years have been busts? Two minutes of research on Thomson and Richardson showed there was legit reason to doubt they would ever contribute anything of substance to this program yet they were anointed saviors. Remember Kai Locksley? Remember how he was going to come in and be the next big thing just because the was at Texas? He decommitted from us and went to UTEP where he was pedestrian at best when he wasn't in trouble.

Just watch in the coming months the hype articles are going to start flowing yet if you take a step back and look at this program there are serious question marks all over the field that show we are more likely to struggle to seven wins than we are to win the conference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT