ADVERTISEMENT

Ali and LaBorn

Aug 21, 2019
Hilton Head, SC
I’m sure everyone remembers when Chad Pennington took a red shirt to allow Eric Kresser to play one year at the AA level, get exposure and get a chance at the NFL. Well, because I’m not around campus and have very little inside information I can only suppose, may we be witnessing another similar situation?? Could Ali sit out one year, allow LaBorn to play and return with a stronger offensive line and a better QB situation? I believe my theory deserves consideration, discussion, criticism, rejection or perhaps laughter. After all this is a discussion group.

I’m sure everyone remembers when Chad Pennington took a red shirt to allow Eric Kresser to play one year at the AA level, get exposure and get a chance at the NFL. Well, because I’m not around campus and have very little inside information I can only suppose, may we be witnessing another similar situation?? Could Ali sit out one year, allow LaBorn to play and return with a stronger offensive line and a better QB situation? I believe my theory deserves consideration, discussion, criticism, rejection or perhaps laughter. After all this is a discussion group.
only way that matter is, if you think Ali will stick around for 5 yrs.

only way that matter is, if you think Ali will stick around for 5 yrs.
He better stick around at least one more and prove he can do it again. He'd be a fool to leave or try for the NFL at this point.
Laborn is done after this season. Ali is once again the face of the program

Reactions: Jartard
Doesn’t Laborn have another year of eligibility anyways? I think Ali and Laborn could share time and be fine.. Laborn is getting way too many carries as is. I think Ali sitting out is an unrelated situation. It would be a tall task to keep one or both for another year, but I’d be thrilled to see it.

Then hit the transfer portal hard for a QB and OL.

Looks like we’re losing a lot of our defense though.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I don't think Laborn or Ali will get drafted with both having played just one full season. Both need at least one more season to prove themselves. Not sure if Laborn has another season

He better stick around at least one more and prove he can do it again. He'd be a fool to leave or try for the NFL at this point.
Laborn is done after this season. Ali is once again the face of the program
He can’t go to the NFL for another yr per NFL rules

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
He can play 4 games and not lose eligibility- so that means f he comes back it will be against Appy and not play in a bowl game

It would really surprise me if Laborn gets drafted this year or next. Age is a huge factor for any player but especially RB. If he is going to go he needs to go this year. Getting drafted at RB at 24 or 25 is very unlikely.

Ali is younger but the same principle applies, the longer he stays the less likely it is he gets a shot.

For those reasons, it would surprise me if this were a Pennington/Kresser situation.

It would really surprise me if Laborn gets drafted this year or next. Age is a huge factor for any player but especially RB. If he is going to go he needs to go this year. Getting drafted at RB at 24 or 25 is very unlikely.

Ali is younger but the same principle applies, the longer he stays the less likely it is he gets a shot.

For those reasons, it would surprise me if this were a Pennington/Kresser situation.
While that's true in most cases, his is unique. Usually older backs have more mileage on them. Laborn has barely played college football. Since coming out of HS in 2017 he only played in 19 games. The bulk of his workload is coming in this lone season. I'm not saying he's going to be drafted, but he doesn't have the same mileage on him that other backs his age would have.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
I hope Huff gets drafted as well. To anywhere.
Only chance would be if there are any openings in Leagues like the SWAC or CIAA, and the like. Clear he is in way over his head at MU and in the SBC! Needs to go down to a lower level where the Job demands/requirements are more commensurate with his talent and abilities!!

Only chance would be if there are any openings in Leagues like the SWAC or CIAA, and the like. Clear he is in way over his head at MU and in the SBC! Needs to go down to a lower level where the Job demands/requirements are more commensurate with his talent and abilities!!
Unless he rights the ship big time he'll be back to riding coattails. Who on earth would hire him to run their program. His lone bright spot has been the DL. That the one promise he's fulfilled. Everything is a complete mess. With the potential departures next year has a chance of being even worse.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
Unless he rights the ship big time he'll be back to riding coattails. Who on earth would hire him to run their program. His lone bright spot has been the DL. That the one promise he's fulfilled. Everything is a complete mess. With the potential departures next year has a chance of being even worse.
I doubt he goes back to anywhere hes already been.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT