ADVERTISEMENT

Any updates on hoops recruiting?

Platinum Buffalo
Jun 1, 2002
The big transfer is going pro, Levi Cook committed else where, and no news on players transferring out. I know several instate kids that would love a walkon invite, so was just checking on the rumor mill.

Levi still wants to come and we have until Monday to give him an answer. Danny -- probably rightfully so -- doesn't want to drop anyone else off the roster to make a space for him. Feels that, in the long run, that would likely hurt our national and European reputation. But I was looking at our big kids at the banquet last night: Terrance, Milan, Peneva, Alexsa -- they're awfully skinny and desperately need to get in the weight room and put some meat/muscle on. Doubt if they can do it over just one off season...

Who cares about the European reputation, we have 4 who are just holding scholarships hostage and aren't contributing at all. We need a talented bench which we don't have right now.

Plus all coaches and schools do this every year. Last year there was 700 basketball transfers this year they expect that number to be around 900. Kids transferring or being forced to transfer is everyday business.

Reactions: RedParallax
Who cares about the European reputation, we have 4 who are just holding scholarships hostage and aren't contributing at all. We need a talented bench which we don't have right now.

Plus all coaches and schools do this every year. Last year there was 700 basketball transfers this year they expect that number to be around 900. Kids transferring or being forced to transfer is everyday business.
We'll just have to wait and see how things work out. I doubt that D'Antoni believes that any of his players are "holding scholarships hostage". I wonder how these young men feel about some of the comments you and some others make about them. They are developing young men mentally and physically and deserve more positive than negative reinforcement. I can understand negative comments about specific plays or lack thereof, but describing people as "taking up space" is beyond objective or constructive criticism.

Levi still wants to come and we have until Monday to give him an answer. Danny -- probably rightfully so -- doesn't want to drop anyone else off the roster to make a space for him. Feels that, in the long run, that would likely hurt our national and European reputation. But I was looking at our big kids at the banquet last night: Terrance, Milan, Peneva, Alexsa -- they're awfully skinny and desperately need to get in the weight room and put some meat/muscle on. Doubt if they can do it over just one off season...
Levi committed to DePaul this week so not sure what this means? Is Levi backing out of his commitment?

I'm pretty sure Levi Cook was named MVP of the Scott Brown tournament in Beckley this week.

Kane might have been a headcase and immature. But I'll never say he didn't lay it on the line and bring it each and every night. By far one of the best players to play here since 2000

Levi committed to DePaul this week so not sure what this means? Is Levi backing out of his commitment?

Cook does not have a scholarship offer. There may be other paths to MU, but as of last week, a scholarship is not in the cards.

You're right. The talented Kane was a Donnie leftover. All I remember was him crying and arguing with everyone coming down the court, much less what took place in the locker room and at Fat Patty's. As for his disciplinary problems, I blame Herrion --who lost control of his program -- for that. I did admire Tinnon -- hardworker who rose above adversity and took care of his family.

Kane might have been a headcase and immature. But I'll never say he didn't lay it on the line and bring it each and every night. By far one of the best players to play here since 2000
I loved Kane and defended him against the haters. Herrions big mistake was choosing Pittman over Kane. I would never put him in class of canty or Pittman.

I just thought it funny you were saying you and Tim understood the head cases were Herrion recruits while Tim mentioned him specifically. Just another post of yours that brought me a giggle

Reactions: D Big Dawg
Well, tomorrow's the deadline, but I think we can still get Cook if we can work something out. But it likely will not involve dropping another scholarship player.

See me and you understand that.

I don't see it as Herrion recruited trouble, but rather that Herrion refused to provide any real structure or discipline. Couple that with taking some riskier kids that may have had bumpy pasts and you get what we ended up with in Herrion's tenure. Dude just refused to hold anyone accountable.

Reactions: Herd Fever
You never know, Fever. Might get a really good one from across the pond someday. I'll take them over troubled, cancerous, inner city kids like Canty and Kane anytime. At least the Serbs appreciate the American opportunity and don't feel like they're owed everything![/QUOTET Total bullshit. Who cares about the serbs appreciating America. We have sucked too long and by these posts no wonder. We dont get enough college level talented players. Now last year I thought we had a good starting lineup but had we had three more good D1 players we could have went to the big tourney. Inner city kids,,just go ahead and say black kids. that is more hurtful than just saying some players lack talent. Players stupid enough to read messahe boards just have to take it

This team won't improve without a solid person in the paint. I am hopeful of a last minute Juco or grad transfer. Thompson will be fine but we need another Kelly or at least close.

Reactions: sistersville
Herrion never recruited Hintington Prep players. I'm not impressed by our Serb connection.
The freshman centers look to have some promise but need time in the weight room. I also think they are several years away from being any good.

The thing is, at least for Milan, is that they were trying to get him slimmed down some to work on his stamina and mobility. He is not quick, and has pitifully slow footwork, but improved somewhat during the past season. Agree that Penava and other foreign freshman, Dozic?, need much in the way of Strength and Conditioning work in the off season.

Well, tomorrow's the deadline, but I think we can still get Cook if we can work something out. But it likely will not involve dropping another scholarship player.
I like you, know that Cook wants to be here. Danny just hasn't been sold on him. Does anyone know if Danny, Duhon or Cline were in Beckley to see him Saturday night? I was with Danny Friday night at the hoops award banquet but didn't get any one on one time with him.

Last edited:
any additional info on this?
He is Portsmouth High's all-time leading scorer. He's a 6-6 guard. Spoke with an AAU coach from Portsmouth about him while I was refereeing a game, and he said that the kid comes from a good family and he works his ass off. Grades are fine as well.

He is Portsmouth High's all-time leading scorer. He's a 6-6 guard. Spoke with an AAU coach from Portsmouth about him while I was refereeing a game, and he said that the kid comes from a good family and he works his ass off. Grades are fine as well.
I believe he's a 6'2 guard.

Reactions: BT4373
Cline REALLY wants Cook. We need to work out some kind of a slot for him. Maybe it's time for Milan to take a red shirt year -- which, developmentally, would probably benefit him. I'm no expert on the regulations (nor an advocate of violating them) or what could legitimately be done to accommodate Levi . This late, I'd be pleasantly surprised if it happens.

Cline REALLY wants Cook. We need to work out some kind of a slot for him. Maybe it's time for Milan to take a red shirt year -- which, developmentally, would probably benefit him. I'm no expert on the regulations (nor an advocate of violating them) or what could legitimately be done to accommodate Levi . This late, I'd be pleasantly surprised if it happens.
I know of one player that will be released form his scholarship. I heard another was homesick but I talked to him Friday night at length and all he talked about was developing his game and getting stronger.

As reported in Chuckie's H-D column this morning, sounds like Levi had a pretty good showing in the Beckley tournament over the weekend. Above all recruiting needs, I think we needed a big man.

As reported in Chuckie's H-D column this morning, sounds like Levi had a pretty good showing in the Beckley tournament over the weekend. Above all recruiting needs, I think we needed a big man.
Danny agrees with you BUT it must be a big man that plays facing the basket and can shoot 35% from behind the arc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT