ADVERTISEMENT

Attendance/Gameday Excitement Ideas

athletic department holds back $1.00 for each ticket sold for a halftime random drawing. winning ticket wins $1.00 x number of tickets scanned.
That's a great idea... Buy a ticket and you automatically have a chance to win 25-30 grand and you have to be present at halftime to claim your prize. Bonus, you get to watch the second half in a secure suite (so you don't have to carry a check for that kind of money back to your bleacher seats).

If this thread were in charge of gameday operations we would have a free coed beer garden pregame party with automatic stadium entry and the second largest lottery in the state of WV keeping people at the game til at least the half.

Last edited:
Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Marshall needs to implement a incentive system for attending sporting events for students. Marshall is one of the only campuses in the country where the students Id card is on their phone. They use their phone to open their dorms, pay for their meals and even at vending machines. It was a pilot program through Apple that is growing across the country. They have the ability to track attendance and incentivize through giveaways like custom shirts, hoodies and other premium items.

Improve cell service on game day, it’s not very good

If they are keeping the DJ let him be more involved in the flow of the game vs 1 appearance per half. if it stays at that, it’s really a waste and not worth the effort.

Bathrooms must be upgraded. The urinals are almost as bad as the “pee on the wall” days of ole Fairfield.

lastly, Win and they will come.
When I was at Marshall, I had a professor that was a big sports fan. If you went to a game (football or basketball) and brought your ticket stub at the end of the semester he would give you a bonus point on the final... Figure 6 home football games and 4-5 home basketball games before finals, you could land an easy 10 extra credit points. Turned my B into an A for that class. That was the days of paper tickets, now you could just show on your app how many games you attended.

Reactions: MU PIKE
I think there’s no question that many of us posting on this forum are Marshall fans to the core and are going to attend Marshall games regardless of the status of the program. That said, in recent years, I don’t know that I’ve had as much excitement as years past.

My question to you all is; what sorts of things would you like to see the athletic department do in order to bring life in the program?

A couple things I had on my mind:
1. Getting non Marshall fans talking about/wanting to attend games.
- Scheduling WVU is huge for both programs, it draws so much interest throughout the state. We really need to push this, honestly I’ve seen a decline in fan interest by not having this game.
- Keep pushing 2-1s or 1-1s for P5 programs, you never know when one of these teams could get hot before coming to Huntington. The 2016 Louisville game was one of the most enjoyable games of recent years, Lamar Jackson gave Marshall a lot of exposure through that game. Imagine having Cincinnati in town this year. I believe the Virginia Tech series is a huge win for Marshall.
- Lure Opponents in with free stuff. I think we should offer free tickets to opponent’s students and opponent’s season ticket holders. Heck even assist in chartering buses from bordering states. There’s plenty of open seats to give away tickets and I would personally donate to this cause. There’s so many things you can build on from getting opponent’s fans to attend games. I hope we can do something to fill the Joan for the 2023 VT game.
2. Establishing a rivalry we can count on every year, consistently. Nobody is excited by slapping the title “rival” on WKU or FAU games. Also really drains the rivalry excitement, by only playing rivals every few years or so, it needs to be consistent. There needs to be established history and relationships to draw us together. Heck look what WKU vs MTSU or Appy St vs Ga Southern have even on down years. Moving to the Sun Belt helps Marshall give a presence in Southern states, yet I wouldn’t be opposed to adding to that by playing ECU every year. Other good options would be in our untouched alumni hot spot of Ohio. Ohio U or Miami (OH), both have good mixing of alumni in the areas they recruit students from and are easily drivable both ways.
3. Winning, there’s no secret what winning can do for a program. That said we have to understand what limited resources Marshall has and be realist. There’s a reason why Boise St will never go to the Big12 or why North Dakota St is still playing in the FCS. My only hope is the college football playoff expands or the G5 splits off to have its own playoff. The current post season gives me little excitement compared to the FCS playoffs in the 90s.

What thoughts/ ideas do you guys have?

LOL, giving away free stuff to the opponent's fans?
Do you hate making money?
I nearly just ended reading your post at that moment because of how terrible that idea was.

While wvu should play MU with a rotating site each year like real programs do, it won't happen...and wvu (like the state leadership) would rather murder puppies on live TV than admit MU is a big draw each year, or just do something economically sensible.

You need to begin interest with the local papers. They write the narrative, and they may have to treat MU like the greatest thing on Earth, every single week.
You really think the Big 12 is as appealing now as it once was? No. But wvu fans and the papers are going to not only dismiss UT and OU like they were nobodies, but build ucf and UC up like they got landed Bama and Clemson.
Our papers don't nearly have the consistency in doing so...dipsh*t Cryptkeeper cosplaying chuck landon doesn't help either.

MU is fine with scheduling, Hamrick did a great job in getting MU plenty of RETURN games...but of course he's fired so lets hope whatever new AD is in, continues to get the job done.

Winning is obvious, but quit nitpicking at wins. If MU struggles to beat a terrible team, don't fvcking complain and bitch about it and declare the season is over...even if MU loses a game...the lack of initial optimism is whats really killing the MU fanbase and THEY need to change that and quit blaming the team.
Of course, that goes with my post about being a fan to begin with.

Finally, stop comparing MU to the 90's or the past.
I don't want the 90's MU, because I'll never actually get that again.
The closest MU got was 2014, and people complained like crazy. Just stop, its unhealthy to the program.
You'll be less miserable when you stop trying to repeat history exactly the way you remember it.
Times have changed, the game has changed, and the method has changed.

If you want higher attendances from opponents, thats on us and Huntington. The city needs to continue to be in coordination with MU. Of course MU fired the AD and MU President so hopefully Brad can keep MU and H-Town in good graces.
Visiting fans like the atmosphere and like MU fans in general, so we have a solid reputation, lets all smoke some Hopeum and bank on the state legislature help make the area a weekend stay for visiting fans, hahaha oh goodness...

Finally, your last bit went against everything you previously said, since you don't seem to look for reasons to be excited for the post-season.
I saw it was a preview of what to expect from the new conference and MU took it to Louisiana pretty well. Game didn't end the way I wanted but it's 50/50 in that regard...I still enjoyed it, and if you can't because MU isn't in the CFP, go to Walmart and buy a Bama shirt...you belong there and not here.

You claim MU needs to be realist, yet crapped on whatever little benefit MU got this season and said "not interested."

Last edited:
LOL, giving away free stuff to the opponent's fans?
Do you hate making money?
I nearly just ended reading your post at that moment because of how terrible that idea was.

While wvu should play MU with a rotating site each year like real programs do, it won't happen...and wvu (like the state leadership) would rather murder puppies on live TV than admit MU is a big draw each year, or just do something economically sensible.

You need to begin interest with the local papers. They write the narrative, and they may have to treat MU like the greatest thing on Earth, every single week.
You really think the Big 12 is as appealing now as it once was? No. But wvu fans and the papers are going to not only dismiss UT and OU like they were nobodies, but build ucf and UC up like they got landed Bama and Clemson.
Our papers don't nearly have the consistency in doing so...dipsh*t Cryptkeeper cosplaying chuck landon doesn't help either.

MU is fine with scheduling, Hamrick did a great job in getting MU plenty of RETURN games...but of course he's fired so lets hope whatever new AD is in, continues to get the job done.

Winning is obvious, but quit nitpicking at wins. If MU struggles to beat a terrible team, don't fvcking complain and bitch about it and declare the season is over...even if MU loses a game...the lack of initial optimism is whats really killing the MU fanbase and THEY need to change that and quit blaming the team.
Of course, that goes with my post about being a fan to begin with.

Finally, stop comparing MU to the 90's or the past.
I don't want the 90's MU, because I'll never actually get that again.
The closest MU got was 2014, and people complained like crazy. Just stop, its unhealthy to the program.
You'll be less miserable when you stop trying to repeat history exactly the way you remember it.
Times have changed, the game has changed, and the method has changed.

If you want higher attendances from opponents, thats on us and Huntington. The city needs to continue to be in coordination with MU. Of course MU fired the AD and MU President so hopefully Brad can keep MU and H-Town in good graces.
Visiting fans like the atmosphere and like MU fans in general, so we have a solid reputation, lets all smoke some Hopeum and bank on the state legislature help make the area a weekend stay for visiting fans, hahaha oh goodness...

Finally, your last bit went against everything you previously said, since you don't seem to look for reasons to be excited for the post-season.
I saw it was a preview of what to expect from the new conference and MU took it to Louisiana pretty well. Game didn't end the way I wanted but it's 50/50 in that regard...I still enjoyed it, and if you can't because MU isn't in the CFP, go to Walmart and buy a Bama shirt...you belong there and not here.

You claim MU needs to be realist, yet crapped on whatever little benefit MU got this season and said "not interested."
You really are chafed we fired Mike.
Mike did a good job, excellent on scheduling as you say. Sad thing is, the persons he followed were idiots, which made him look all the better.
It’s not like the AD will collapse with him gone. O’Malley seems more than capable and is very open, which is great.
Whether they choose he or someone else, MU AD will survive. Hell, it might even flourish. The doom and gloom because Mike is gone is silly.

Reactions: caliherd
You really are chafed we fired Mike.
Mike did a good job, excellent on scheduling as you say. Sad thing is, the persons he followed were idiots, which made him look all the better.
It’s not like the AD will collapse with him gone. O’Malley seems more than capable and is very open, which is great.
Whether they choose he or someone else, MU AD will survive. Hell, it might even flourish. The doom and gloom because Mike is gone is silly.
Really? Out of all I wrote, THAT is what you took from it?!
Given the whole situation involving the AD and how Mike is roadblocked in progress because the current leadership are a bunch of clowns with motivations of pettiness, I am kinda irritated he was essentially forced out.
O'Malley is a lawyer, not an AD. He, and others didn't want MU to leave CUSA and banked on MU collecting a 1 time massive Exit Fees check from everyone else...then being a part of that terrible conference forever.

Yeah, we shouldn't worry about, you know, the most important position at MU or any D1 school...because it's not like we'll find someone like Bob Marcum who absolutely destroyed MU athletics in a very short period of time.

Considering it has been how many months since Hamrick announced he was done, and MU has just now assembled a committee to find someone?
Just pray it's not Chris Miller who had been quite vocal about wanting the AD job...but given he was very much considered by said BoG and those currently piloting MU, don't be shocked at my inability to trust this collective knows what its doing.

Herd will need to be ranked in top 25 with a good opponent visiting to full the Joan (maybe with good weather)!
Honestly I think that was the winning combination that made the 2015 Purdue game so great(39k in attendance/ most attended win in Marshall’s history). Just came off of a near perfect season in 2014 and carried that momentum into 2015 against a legitimate opponent.

I think your last comment about weather is more and more significant as years go on. Hard to draw a good attendance in bad weather when everything is on TV these days. Nothing you can do other than optimize you TV package and I’m actually quite pumped about weeknight ESPN games in the Sun Belt. We can’t compete against P5 teams for tv viewership on Saturdays, but average fans can watch us on weeknights and can help push our image as a national underdog. A lot of people love to root for teams like Appy St to knock off teams like Michigan.

Really? Out of all I wrote, THAT is what you took from it?!
Given the whole situation involving the AD and how Mike is roadblocked in progress because the current leadership are a bunch of clowns with motivations of pettiness, I am kinda irritated he was essentially forced out.
O'Malley is a lawyer, not an AD. He, and others didn't want MU to leave CUSA and banked on MU collecting a 1 time massive Exit Fees check from everyone else...then being a part of that terrible conference forever.

Yeah, we shouldn't worry about, you know, the most important position at MU or any D1 school...because it's not like we'll find someone like Bob Marcum who absolutely destroyed MU athletics in a very short period of time.

Considering it has been how many months since Hamrick announced he was done, and MU has just now assembled a committee to find someone?
Just pray it's not Chris Miller who had been quite vocal about wanting the AD job...but given he was very much considered by said BoG and those currently piloting MU, don't be shocked at my inability to trust this collective knows what its doing.
I understand the concern but I am confident we will get someone to carry us to through. How do you know O’Malley wanted to stay in CUSA? Unless you are on the committee or know someone who was, we have no idea how it went down.
I want someone who is from the outside first.
It seems O’Malley is doing and saying all the right things but the inside crew is tight and they circle the wagons for their buddies.
Mike did a fine job, his only fault is keeping Doc too long, making the program stale and losing the fan base as a result.

#1 have better marketing ( greater range and willingness to allow the brand name Marshall to be used. #2 schedule P5 teams or any team no matter of miles( Marshall Will Play Anyone At Anytime) #3 Marshall and the Fans has to stop acting and saying Marshall is poor or Marshall can't afford this or that. ( bad look or is run poorly) #4 Marshall has to do a better job of maintaining and general clean up of there buildings ( paint ,cleaning/ power washing, restroom up grades). Basic stuff that should be done anyhow.

#1 have better marketing ( greater range and willingness to allow the brand name Marshall to be used. #2 schedule P5 teams or any team no matter of miles( Marshall Will Play Anyone At Anytime) #3 Marshall and the Fans has to stop acting and saying Marshall is poor or Marshall can't afford this or that. ( bad look or is run poorly) #4 Marshall has to do a better job of maintaining and general clean up of there buildings ( paint ,cleaning/ power washing, restroom up grades). Basic stuff that should be done anyhow.
all good ideas, need to schedule more P5 teams in OOC

Nor should they. What, exactly would be in a series with MU for UK?
They get a local opponent, fans travel well, spend money. Now that they are actually good, they may beat us. That’s why they would never play us before.

Stop.
This post is for growth of MU and scheduling a P5 on a national TV slot.
You're against this sort of thing.

images

Too much of this guy around here, but I’d be curious to know about the Pitt game as well. I’m assuming it’s not going to be played, because I’ve not seen anything about it.

They get a local opponent, fans travel well, spend money.
Kentucky sells lots of tickets. To Kentucky fans. Loser programs that have no fan base market tickets to the visiting team. Lots of AAC member have this business plan. Memphis, the directional Floridas, Cincinnati, Tulane, etc.

Yes, UK is better than it has been, but this really is as good as its going to be, and it probably won’t last. The general plan at UK is to get to six wins. Playing 8 teams from the Greatest Conference In The History Of The Universe, plus Louisville (which is down, but with cheating now legal, should do better). That leaves three games to pick. So a I-AA, then a couple of MACer or Sun Belters. That usually gets UK to six and the Birmingham or Music City bowls.

UK, and every one else in the SEC, will get $67M/year once the Big 2 join and kick the Little 8 to the curb. They ain’t worried about selling those 10K seats that only get used once or twice a year all that much, and they sure ain’t going to come to Huntington, even as a 2 or 3 to 1 deal. And, should we ever resume winning football, they ain’t risking it when they can beat up some MACer without worry

MU football is G5 football. That means our conference, a team or two from the other eastern G5 conferences, a I-AA, and, usually a no-return game at a P5, with very rare exceptions based on high quality work from the AD. That followed by a pre-Christmas bowl vs. another G5 or a barely eligible 6-6 P5 bad team. THAT is what MU football is. We are NOT going to have P5s regularly at home, NOT going to other sorts of bowls, NOT being on “real” TV all that much. That is what I bought into as a MU fan. Buy in. Or find something else.

That was a depressing post. Guess we can take solace in the fact that we beat them in soccer.

That was a depressing post. Guess we can take solace in the fact that we beat them in soccer.
It is only “depressing” if MU football is not for you. Buy in to OUR level, OUR conference, OUR opponents, OUR football.

The people that pine away for something that MU football isn’t and never will be, simply cannot be happy with any accomplishment that we ever achieve. When you lack the ability to respect who we play, and thus find no joy in beating them, then nothing that ever happens will ever suit, and you need to find something else to do.

It is entirely possible that this awful year was an aberration and that we will return to actually beating winning teams from our own level. It that interests you, then MU football is for you. If it doesn’t, then it isn’t.

As I have posted before, this is just a message board and I come here because it is fun to see all the opinions and personalities. Or maybe I should say it used to be fun. Too many posters take it so seriously that it often becomes unpleasant.
I realize Marshall will never be Alabama so I don’t get all bent out of shape if we aren’t the league champion every year. I go to Huntington to meet with old college friends; we eat diner, tell stories, enjoy the game, and promise to do it again next week.
I buy tickets and modestly support the athletic and academic sections of the University with monetary donations.
I have a life with many interests so Marshall sports is not the end all or be all of my existence.

Last edited:
As I have posted before, this is just a message board and I come here because it is fun to see all the opinions and personalities. Or maybe I should say it used to be fun. Too many posters take it so seriously that it often becomes unpleasant.
I realize Marshall will never be Alabama so I don’t get all bent out of shape if we aren’t the league champion every year. I go to Huntington to meet with old college friends, we eat diner, tell stories, enjoy the game, and promise to do it again next week.
I buy tickets and modestly support the athletic and academic sections of the University with monetary donations.
I have a life with many interests so Marshall sports is not the end all or be all of my existence.
congratulations

It is only “depressing” if MU football is not for you. Buy in to OUR level, OUR conference, OUR opponents, OUR football.

The people that pine away for something that MU football isn’t and never will be, simply cannot be happy with any accomplishment that we ever achieve. When you lack the ability to respect who we play, and thus find no joy in beating them, then nothing that ever happens will ever suit, and you need to find something else to do.

It is entirely possible that this awful year was an aberration and that we will return to actually beating winning teams from our own level. It that interests you, then MU football is for you. If it doesn’t, then it isn’t.
Beating winning teams has been a chore for the football program since 2005. Huff didn't beat a team with a winning record. Of Doc's 85 wins, only 25 were against teams with winning records - that includes bowls. We won't even discuss Snides.

But you respected none of our opponents, found no joy in beating 7 of them this year, and are not happy with any accomplishments we ever achieve. Thus, Marshal football (and basketball) are not for you. Move on Samuel. Maybe to New Mexico.

Kentucky sells lots of tickets. To Kentucky fans. Loser programs that have no fan base market tickets to the visiting team. Lots of AAC member have this business plan. Memphis, the directional Floridas, Cincinnati, Tulane, etc.

Yes, UK is better than it has been, but this really is as good as its going to be, and it probably won’t last. The general plan at UK is to get to six wins. Playing 8 teams from the Greatest Conference In The History Of The Universe, plus Louisville (which is down, but with cheating now legal, should do better). That leaves three games to pick. So a I-AA, then a couple of MACer or Sun Belters. That usually gets UK to six and the Birmingham or Music City bowls.

UK, and every one else in the SEC, will get $67M/year once the Big 2 join and kick the Little 8 to the curb. They ain’t worried about selling those 10K seats that only get used once or twice a year all that much, and they sure ain’t going to come to Huntington, even as a 2 or 3 to 1 deal. And, should we ever resume winning football, they ain’t risking it when they can beat up some MACer without worry

MU football is G5 football. That means our conference, a team or two from the other eastern G5 conferences, a I-AA, and, usually a no-return game at a P5, with very rare exceptions based on high quality work from the AD. That followed by a pre-Christmas bowl vs. another G5 or a barely eligible 6-6 P5 bad team. THAT is what MU football is. We are NOT going to have P5s regularly at home, NOT going to other sorts of bowls, NOT being on “real” TV all that much. That is what I bought into as a MU fan. Buy in. Or find something else.
I totally support that if that’s what the greater number of Marshall fans want, but..

1. Success is about knowing your strengths and weaknesses. I don’t want to use the SEC model in the Sun Belt, I’d prefer to be known as that feisty underdog that the national watches when their P5 team isn’t playing.
2. Memphis, UCF, USF, Cincinnati and Tulane aren’t teams I look down on, I think they’ve built great brands.
3. I’m with Greengeezer, Marshall football isn’t about winning every game or bust (although winning is fun). It’s about getting together with friends and family to enjoy a common interest. Personally playing teams like WVU, Ohio U, Cincinnati, Louisville, Virginia Tech, UK, Charlotte etc and welcoming old friends and family from those areas back to Huntington is what really makes Marshall football special to me. Based on previous attendances I believe that’s what the majority of Marshall fans support.

images

Too much of this guy around here, but I’d be curious to know about the Pitt game as well. I’m assuming it’s not going to be played, because I’ve not seen anything about it.

MU doesn't even have an AD to tell you if we did anyway.

Jeff is backup until the starter can come back in...even he hasn't been doing the best of jobs in communication.
I think Jeff has communicated much better than Mike ever did. He seems on top of things and navigated us through the SB process. I know a lot of people are high on him but I still prefer an outsider. Shake things up, new ideas, a fresh approach. If Jeff does get it, kudos to him, but he needs to be his own man and show some zest to try new ideas and engage fans on a frequent basis. jmo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT