ADVERTISEMENT

Balk by the catcher.

i am herdman

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2006
I saw a video on Instagram and now I can't find it. But the ump called a balk on the catcher. In that situation, pitch hits the dirt, catcher blocks it and had flipped his mask off. He scooped the ball up with the mask. They called a balk on him. This was a high school game.

Here is one similar by the Red Sox. But I guess the correct terminology is detached equipment rule violation.

I wonder how many times guys get away with it. I don't ever recall it being called in a game I have been around.

A catcher can also be called for a balk if he sets up outside the never enforced catcher's box . . . mostly seen in intentional walk situations, when they actually had to throw the ball. A similar incident happened in a Mets game a few weeks ago, and the new Mets manager is completely clueless (as opposed to Buck Showalter who was a rules expert), so he didn't say a thing.

I was watching live and couldn't believe he (nor the announcers) were aware that you can't use the equipment for this:

A catcher can also be called for a balk if he sets up outside the never enforced catcher's box . . . mostly seen in intentional walk situations, when they actually had to throw the ball. A similar incident happened in a Mets game a few weeks ago, and the new Mets manager is completely clueless (as opposed to Buck Showalter who was a rules expert), so he didn't say a thing.

I was watching live and couldn't believe he (nor the announcers) were aware that you can't use the equipment for this:

He did that on purpose.

How about this. Ball is hit to the first baseman. Going to be a close play at first. First baseman does a head first slide and touches the bag with his glove with the ball in it before the runner. Is runner out or safe? First basman uses his glove with ball in it to tag the bag and not his foot.

He did that on purpose.

How about this. Ball is hit to the first baseman. Going to be a close play at first. First baseman does a head first slide and touches the bag with his glove with the ball in it before the runner. Is runner out or safe? First basman uses his glove with ball in it to tag the bag and not his foot.
He’s out. That’s a fairly common situation. You don’t have to touch with your foot. He doesn’t even have to touch with his glove. Any part of his body is sufficient.

He’s out. That’s a fairly common situation. You don’t have to touch with your foot. He doesn’t even have to touch with his glove. Any part of his body is sufficient.
That's what I thought. I still hold a grudge over that call when I was 15. Home cooking. Ump argued with me up and down. He told me I missed the tag. I said I hot the base and you saw it.

That's what I thought. I still hold a grudge over that call when I was 15. Home cooking. Ump argued with me up and down. He told me I missed the tag. I said I hot the base and you saw it.
Well, it may be different rules since you were playing softball at that age.

• Haha
Reactions: i am herdman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT