ADVERTISEMENT

Another baseball question

MichiganHerd

Platinum Buffalo
Aug 17, 2011
Brewpub w/coeds
Back when I was coaching young punks, I always put the smartest player at catcher. I figured them to be a great communicator and allowed them to pretty much be the coach on the field, calling pitches since they typically had a photographic memory of the opposing players, directing the infield and outfield on where to position themselves, based again on their intelligence of opposing hitters, combined with the pitch they would call.

I never cared if they couldn't hit very well or run very well, as long as their average hovered around the .200 mark, because I knew they were an asset when our team was on the field.

How did the rest of you select who you played at catcher?

I’ve been lucky in that, since T-ball, I have had a kid who is simply built for the catcher position. He has been my primary catcher for about six years now. But he also pitches every third or fourth game so I have to have other catchers on the team. When searching for a back up, I simply look for the kids who want it. The catcher position is one of those roles that you either love or hate. Also, you can tell a lot about a kid that wants to play catcher. The ones that desire the position are generally pretty tough and pretty good players.

Except rifle…he’s a pu$$y.

Reactions: -CarlHungus-
Back when I was coaching young punks, I always put the smartest player at catcher. I figured them to be a great communicator and allowed them to pretty much be the coach on the field, calling pitches since they typically had a photographic memory of the opposing players, directing the infield and outfield on where to position themselves, based again on their intelligence of opposing hitters, combined with the pitch they would call.

I never cared if they couldn't hit very well or run very well, as long as their average hovered around the .200 mark, because I knew they were an asset when our team was on the field.

How did the rest of you select who you played at catcher?
Fish Fishing GIF by Archives of Ontario | Archives publiques de l'Ontario

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT