ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts From The Game

MU PIKE

Silver Buffalo
Mar 14, 2007
I was blessed to be able to see this one up close as I flew with the team and watched from the sideline and I have to say, that was the greatest win I have ever witnessed from the Herd. Sure the first 1AA against Youngstown was amazing and nothing can top the Xavier win but this was my favorite. Here are my observations;

Coach Huff is special. He knows how to win and it shows. He and his staff operated like professionals from the time we boarded the plane heading to ND till he hugged each player at the top of the ramp and shook all of the supporters hands as we boarded after the game. He has brought the Alabama way of preparing for a season and a game to Huntington and its starting to show results. The level of preparedness is unreal right down to the smallest detail.

Thoughts and observations in no particular order;

*Ben Ashford Director of sports performance should get a game ball. Its because of him that the Herd was able to close that game out. They didn't wilt down the stretch and a lot of that is because of the work he has put them through as well as his game day coaching.

*Sharrod Everett football chief of staff keeps things moving in the right direction, organized and on time. Frees coach huff up from worrying about the little things.

*Mike Bartram is a valuable piece of the puzzle (as well as Doug Chapman). He was very active on the sideline talking with players and coaching/supporting when and where it was needed. In fact, all of the coaching staff does a great job getting these guys ready to play.

*Steve Cotton is a treasure and does a great job for Marshall. The entire athletic department, Big Green, QB Club, Learfield Sports as well as Rodney that shoots all of the great highlight clips and pictures posted on Marshall social media all contribute to the football team representing the university and the state in a professional 1st class manner.

* We are lucky to have Brad Smith as our president. You can tell, he loves this University, not just because he is getting a pay check but he is one of us. Christian Spears has also brought a breath of fresh air to the athletic department with his "why cant we do it like the big boy" way of operating.

*That stadium and environment is everything I expected. From the 30 minute walk through on Friday to get the guys accumulated by allowing them (and us to) to just walk the field and take in an empty stadium before the game to the game day environment. Touchdown Jesus, the Gold Dome ,Grotto Of our Lady of Lourdes and the Basilica of the Sacred Heart are all something to see. I hate to say it but that place drips college football history and the traditions and unlike anywhere else.

*The fans were very gracious. We were never screamed at from the stands like other stadiums or abused as we walked the campus. Classy all the way even in defeat.

*Our Fans Are The Best. To look up and see over 5,000 MU fans sitting together (with more through out the stadium) and making so much noise and supporting the team made my heart swell with pride. It seemed like MU fans were everywhere all day but especially when it mattered most during the Game. To hear the WE ARE MARSHALL chant wash down over the field gave me chills.

*Upon landing at Tri State there were probably 30 people with signs standing outside the gate to the field where the charter planes land, but upon arriving at the stadium, WOW> to see a couple hundred fans waiting with flags and signs late at night just shows you what a special place MU and Huntington is. The bond with the fans is truly unique and the support was greatly appreciated by the players.

*We got a surprise phone call from the Governor right before we took off which they played over the speakers congratulating the team. This wasn't your typical political calculation rather you could hear the emotions and pride in his voice being a son of Marshall.

What a Great Day to be a Son/Daughter Of Marshall!!!

Last edited:
With our last three hires, Head Coach, President and Athletic Director we have arrived. I was at the Norfolk State game and the Pitt soccer match and I could feel the difference. With that being said we have a long way to go. The other changes will take time such as our facilities and general mindset. We still have small thinkers who need to be trained. For example there were no programs for either event and ushers were not uniformed. Our band needs a significant upgrade. The band is critical to game day atmosphere. The seats didn’t have recognizable numbers and several other issues but it takes time. I’m 100% on board even though my contribution and new membership to the Big Green has yet to be acknowledged. Go Herd !

This is why after a long hiatus…I purchased season tickets again last year.

I knew Huff was stellar and bringing the goods, Brad is obviously exceptional as both an individual and as a leader. Spears is going to be fantastic. Now we need ALL fans to get behind what is being created. Could be a special time at Marshall.

Last edited:
Loved the experience. The ND fans were real nice to everyone. I had no problems with them and met plenty of Herd fans driving in, making the pilgrimage as well.

I have no idea what the total number for the MU fans, but it was way more than 5,000.

I will say, the ND fans never talked down to us, they didn't say, "Aw man, we just lost to Marshall" they said, "Good game guys. You deserved to beat us."

I don't want to sour this thread with comparisons, but one thing the PA guy did was he was more personalized. He didn't, just say, "3rd down and 5" he said, "Alright, time to stop this drive!" He just used more words that made it sound like he was talking to you and not announcing things, if that makes any sense.

The band was good, and, looked small when in the stands but was huge on the field. They really didn't seem much different than ours in terms of music. The ND student section, I heard, begins with freshmen in the end zone and wraps around to where seniors only, get to sit at the 50yd line.

When you're literally sponsored by NBC, your fans don't complain about ticket sales, and people actually watch football you don't need to have advertisements...and I don't think I heard any.
Of course, MU could only dream of not having any advertising need.

The ribbon with the live game stats was a nice touch too. They even had a timer for commercials where you could see how long it took for the play to resume.

Good lord, the lines for everything were pretty bad. You'd be gone for at least 20 mins to get a bottle of water and some concourses didn't accept cash.
It felt like they were understaffed or just not able to accommodate the crowds, despite it being MU and the stadium having existed for a very long time.

Finally, the sound of several thousand MU fans chanting and cheering as they seemingly walked down from the stands, together after soaking in every moment of the expired game clock, was probably the best thing I have heard in a very long time.

When you're literally sponsored by NBC, your fans don't complain about ticket sales, and people actually watch football you don't need to have advertisements...and I don't think I heard any.
There were no ads on our video scoreboard the first week either. It was a big welcome change from years prior.

The individual rushing stats shown on the ribbon displayed "Marshall: Norman x yards ..." the entire game.
Drove me nuts.
PA guy said Laborn THIRTY ONE times.

Other than that, first class top to bottom.

They say never met your heroes, but that place lived up to the billing.

Only issue was ND knew exactly the play MU ran when he was in.
I didn't like the run package for Fancher - ND and rest of the world knew he was going to run. Colombi is mobile enough to run the ball if we want to counter with Laborn. Colombi's TD pass was game winner and put pressure on the ND offense to force a bad pass that ended with our INT/pick 6 TD (nail in the coffin).

Agree about Huff, Smith and Spears. All three are a HUGE breath of fresh air and ideas. Spears and Smith were at the soccer game yesterday, interacting with the fans and team after the game. I hope we can hold onto all three for several years.

Thanks for the posts guys on your experience. My daughter went and eager to see what she says about it.

Got back late last night and didn't get nearly enough sleep after this weekend.

Echoing some points on here from what our group saw... The ND fans were overall great hosts. We tailgated on the golf course and everyone who walked by was friendly. The folks next to us asked questions about Marshall, where we traveled from, etc.

As you would expect, the campus is beautiful. I don't know how many people they have on their grounds crew, but it has to be a ton. Every inch of that place was well manicured.

Outside of the campus, South Bend wasn't much to look at... We talk about Huntington looking run down (as many rust belt cities are at this point) but South Bend was really beaten down. So many abandoned empty buildings, graffiti, trash. Just all around rough.

As for the game, I know we can be hard on players and coaches from time to time because emotions run high. But Saturday's win was the best combination of game plan, execution, and playmaking I have ever seen as a MU fan. Huff and his coordinators had a clear plan (exploit ND between the tackles with Laborn/Payne, quick passes to the slot receivers, stop the run at all costs) and it worked... To be able to create turnovers, while not having any yourself, is how major upsets happen. Both sides of the ball were excellent in that regard.

Marshall showed once again why we are a desirable brand when it comes bowl season. No idea how many MU fans were in attendance, but it was a lot. We sat in a Notre Dame section and their fans were amazed at how many Marshall fans made the trip.

Overall, incredible to see in person. Let's get refocused and beat Bowling Green to keep the momentum rolling.

I didn't like the run package for Fancher - ND and rest of the world knew he was going to run. Colombi is mobile enough to run the ball if we want to counter with Laborn. Colombi's TD pass was game winner and put pressure on the ND offense to force a bad pass that ended with our INT/pick 6 TD (nail in the coffin).
My biggest worries going forward are containing an athletic, mobile QB as well as cleaning things up on special teams. Actually, Gilmore’s INT return ended up being the game winner.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
My biggest worries going forward are containing an athletic, mobile QB as well as cleaning things up on special teams. Actually, Gilmore’s INT return ended up being the game winner.

Considering ND's left the game because he tried to run too much on us, might say teams be hesitant in letting theirs go.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
My biggest worries going forward are containing an athletic, mobile QB
Sometimes a strong pass rush gives up a few runs by a QB. The QB was more often than not…running for his life on Saturday. IMO I’ll give up a few of those rather than DBs and LBs getting burned. I think it was an exceptional defensive performance

The only thing missing from the fantastic win over #8 team in the country, was not having our beloved Marching Thunder playing Ralph’s SONS OF MARSHALL fight song for each time we scored… sure would have been a blessing to have witnessed!

The only thing missing from the fantastic win over #8 team in the country, was not having our beloved Marching Thunder playing Ralph’s SONS OF MARSHALL fight song for each time we scored… sure would have been a blessing to have witnessed!

Oh no, remember? Our band is so pitiful that some on here felt they shouldn't be allowed to go.
But those idiots are silent about that.

Sometimes a strong pass rush gives up a few runs by a QB. The QB was more often than not…running for his life on Saturday. IMO I’ll give up a few of those rather than DBs and LBs getting burned. I think it was an exceptional defensive performance

I'm relieved for that.

Their TE was killing us.

Loved the experience. The ND fans were real nice to everyone. I had no problems with them and met plenty of Herd fans driving in, making the pilgrimage as well.

I have no idea what the total number for the MU fans, but it was way more than 5,000.

I will say, the ND fans never talked down to us, they didn't say, "Aw man, we just lost to Marshall" they said, "Good game guys. You deserved to beat us."

I don't want to sour this thread with comparisons, but one thing the PA guy did was he was more personalized. He didn't, just say, "3rd down and 5" he said, "Alright, time to stop this drive!" He just used more words that made it sound like he was talking to you and not announcing things, if that makes any sense.

The band was good, and, looked small when in the stands but was huge on the field. They really didn't seem much different than ours in terms of music. The ND student section, I heard, begins with freshmen in the end zone and wraps around to where seniors only, get to sit at the 50yd line.

The ribbon with the live game stats was a nice touch too. They even had a timer for commercials where you could see how long it took for the play to resume.

Good lord, the lines for everything were pretty bad. You'd be gone for at least 20 mins to get a bottle of water and some concourses didn't accept cash.
It felt like they were understaffed or just not able to accommodate the crowds, despite it being MU and the stadium having existed for a very long time.

Finally, the sound of several thousand MU fans chanting and cheering as they seemingly walked down from the stands, together after soaking in every moment of the expired game clock, was probably the best thing I have heard in a very long time.
Sounds awesome. I had similar experiences when we went to VT. Fans coming up to me and my buddy telling us we played very good and deserved to win that game.

Also I noticed during the Norfolk game if you look down to the "guy in the red hat" down around the 20 yard line we've added a guy holding a poll with a red digital clock on top. It appeared to be a TV Timeout Countdown.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
Also I noticed during the Norfolk game if you look down to the "guy in the red hat" down around the 20 yard line we've added a guy holding a poll with a red digital clock on top. It appeared to be a TV Timeout Countdown
It seems they are doing that at every college game this year.
He is a beast.
That TD he scored at the end was pure heart. i could see he was worn out and he caught that ball at the 2 and willed his way into the end zone. Up close he is a very big man

Oh no, remember? Our band is so pitiful that some on here felt they shouldn't be allowed to go.
But those idiots are silent about that.
Silent no more, Our band is pitiful….. if you didn’t know I was being sarcastic in my comment.

I’m glad they didn’t go embarrass themselves at ND. We really should be finding a assistant from a big10 band somewhere and tell them it’s their job to field a band that will actually blow the end off a horn. We are a mid level high school band that can’t even hold elementary notes. Sad so sad.

Even if they know what’s coming with Fancher it still causes our opponent to have to practice it! I’m just waiting for the time he hits the field and our opponent stacks the box and Tricket calls a pass play for Fancher.

Silent no more, Our band is pitiful….. if you didn’t know I was being sarcastic in my comment.

I’m glad they didn’t go embarrass themselves at ND. We really should be finding a assistant from a big10 band somewhere and tell them it’s their job to field a band that will actually blow the end off a horn. We are a mid level high school band that can’t even hold elementary notes. Sad so sad.

So, saying the band is pitiful and deserved to NOT go to Notre Dame...
Then saying MU needs to go to a very expensive conference and hire away someone, who will not be cheap, to make the band better?
Which is it? Do you want the band to be better? Because if so, it'll cost money, and given your inherent lack of musical knowledge, your simple minded self won't be entertained, and thus, will complain the money should've been used elsewhere and Spears needs fired because you have lost faith in him.
Then MU goes and does something good and you'll say, "Well...Spears and the band 3 years ago...I just can't accept he's good, nor get over that."
But if you want the band to fail, go for it. Just when the band is featured somewhere, or accomplishes something, do us all a favor and shut up.

Even if they know what’s coming with Fancher it still causes our opponent to have to practice it! I’m just waiting for the time he hits the field and our opponent stacks the box and Tricket calls a pass play for Fancher.
He had a few opportunities to do that...run a TE out into absolute nowhere, bam, TD.

I am sure, MU and staff will work on tweaking this.

BTW

Was that backward pass, pause to throw, freeze the defense, then take off like a bat out of Hell...JUST AN ABSOLUTE THING OF BEAUTY??!?!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT