ADVERTISEMENT

Here is what is happening when you attend a basketball game …..

W-S HerdFan

Platinum Buffalo
Aug 14, 2002
Sarasota, FL
  1. 5 mins before the game – Pump It Up -We encourage you to stand and clap to the beat of the song when this song comes on. This happens just before our team takes the floor for the game. This is the moment where we can set the atmosphere for the rest of the game. When our guys run out of the tunnel, they will greeted by 5,000 fans getting them ready for the game.
  2. Intro Video Light Show – Last year, we purchased a light show feature that fans can participate in from their phones. We are using this at multiple sports and the participation is getting better and better each game. We ask you to download the HerdZone app. During the visiting team introduction, pull up your app. Click on the “3 dots MORE (…)” in the bottom right corner. Then click on Herd Lights. This will have your phone ready for the light show when our intro video beings on the videoboard.
  3. Tip-Off Tradition – We started a new tradition this year where we are asking our fans to stand from tip-off until we score our first points. This past game, we added to it. Instead of just standing there- we ask you to start a “LET’S GO HERD” chant (Don’t worry…We Are … Marshall comes later) as soon as the game begins. You will see this on the videoboard and can follow along with it. This can create a moment where visiting teams wonder what they walked into as they realize it’s 5 vs. 5,000.
  4. Rodent ‘Hey Yo’ Video – The rodent call-and-response video is personally my favorite thing. We started it at football and our fans really enjoyed it. We brought it to basketball a few games ago and the crowd participation was awesome. During this video, we are asking ALL fans to stand during the video and participate in the call-and-response. Immediately following the video, we will transition into a song called “Seven Nation Army.” The beat naturally makes you want to jump up and down (for those who are able). Our amazing pep band and our students did this last game it was an awesome moment. We truly believe that this can be a Marshall Athletics moment that can go viral if we have the participation. When we think of this- we think of Virgina Tech’s Enter Sandman, or Wisconsin’s Jump Around. One of our goals is to create you wouldn’t believe moments at our games. This is one of those you-wouldn’t-believe moments that first-time fans or visiting teams will talk about.
  5. We…Are Marshall – Nothing I need to say here … you all know what to do.
If you’ve been attending, whadda think?

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Things like this should happen organically and not be so scripted IMO.

But. If it’s not starting organically. Then what is wrong with trying this?

The only thing I don’t like is the standing up until WE score. It is supposed to be you stand up and cheer until THEY score. But still. It’s better than nothing.

The games are fun. Kudos to them for making them even more fun.

These are the kinds of things that will draw bigger crowds and sustained attendance. Credit Spears for being innovative. Also the half time events like Wednesday’s baby race & tomorrow’s slam dunk event for kids as another example of getting butts in seats….
Wrong.

Gimmicks are for teams that need to draw from the community to help get the crowd to half capacity.

A good product on the court, winning games, and competing against the top tier teams fills the seats.

This is, and will remain to be a for entertainment purposes only effort, because they have to field a team. Don't be fooled by the 4-0 token effort start. The other SBC teams are in it for the exact same reason. Because they have to.

75 year old coach with a high school/AAU Myrtle Beach resume.

Token effort.

• Angry
Reactions: horsrman
Wrong.

Gimmicks are for teams that need to draw from the community to help get the crowd to half capacity.

A good product on the court, winning games and competing against the top tier teams feels the seats.

This is, and will remain to be a for entertainment purposes only effort, because they have to field a team. Don't be fooled by the 4-0 token effort start. The other SBC teams are in it for the exact same reason. Because they have to.

Token effort.

For years I have ridiculed fan turnout on here. For years people have said people can watch on tv they need other reasons to come to games.

Well. Here is someone trying.

And this is your opinion of it?

Personally I think your entire post was a pathetic attempt to either get attention, act like you have a clue what is going on in the Henderson center, or continue to not be a fan. Looks like you achieved all three. So congrats!

IWrong.

A good product on the court, winning games, and competing against the top tier teams fills the seats.

Token effort.
It is an effort to get fans of all ages involved in the game atmosphere. Truly not a bad idea and may help to improve attendance. Basketball team is playing much better as a team and will also bring more fans to the Cam.
I give the administration credit for trying something new. All of it may not work, but you can always come up with other new ideas. I agree the game has to be a good product and, at present, it is. These players are working very hard to win games and deserve credit and fan support for doing so.

For years I have ridiculed fan turnout on here. For years people have said people can watch on tv they need other reasons to come to games.

Personally I think your entire post was a pathetic attempt to either get attention, act like you have a clue what is going on in the Henderson center, or continue to not be a fan. Looks like you achieved all three. So congrats!
I actually think that Sam hacked Meech’s account! Almost word for word Sammy. We may have to check for plagiarism! 😂

Just like last year, and the year before, and the year before that, etc., etc., etc., come late February, early March, the 'this is our year' crowd will agree with me. For now, the rah, rah, hillbilly/304 crowd will continue to buy into the false promise of early wins, but once the snow begins to melt, they'll be returning to agreeing with me, just as we've all witnessed for the last whatever amount of years. But, what about that one time the Herd won ONE ncaa tournament game during the last 40 years...

Token effort

Reactions: i am herdman

Hopefully my best friend riflearm2 will stop by this thread to give you a kudos to perkins award.

Did you know I'm now getting as much air travel mileage as the greatest catcher in Herd history? I've been to at least 20 different states in the last three months, and I don't even wear Gucci shoes.

I'm almost a big deal.

Reactions: i am herdman
  1. 5 mins before the game – Pump It Up -We encourage you to stand and clap to the beat of the song when this song comes on. This happens just before our team takes the floor for the game. This is the moment where we can set the atmosphere for the rest of the game. When our guys run out of the tunnel, they will greeted by 5,000 fans getting them ready for the game.
  2. Intro Video Light Show – Last year, we purchased a light show feature that fans can participate in from their phones. We are using this at multiple sports and the participation is getting better and better each game. We ask you to download the HerdZone app. During the visiting team introduction, pull up your app. Click on the “3 dots MORE (…)” in the bottom right corner. Then click on Herd Lights. This will have your phone ready for the light show when our intro video beings on the videoboard.
  3. Tip-Off Tradition – We started a new tradition this year where we are asking our fans to stand from tip-off until we score our first points. This past game, we added to it. Instead of just standing there- we ask you to start a “LET’S GO HERD” chant (Don’t worry…We Are … Marshall comes later) as soon as the game begins. You will see this on the videoboard and can follow along with it. This can create a moment where visiting teams wonder what they walked into as they realize it’s 5 vs. 5,000.
  4. Rodent ‘Hey Yo’ Video – The rodent call-and-response video is personally my favorite thing. We started it at football and our fans really enjoyed it. We brought it to basketball a few games ago and the crowd participation was awesome. During this video, we are asking ALL fans to stand during the video and participate in the call-and-response. Immediately following the video, we will transition into a song called “Seven Nation Army.” The beat naturally makes you want to jump up and down (for those who are able). Our amazing pep band and our students did this last game it was an awesome moment. We truly believe that this can be a Marshall Athletics moment that can go viral if we have the participation. When we think of this- we think of Virgina Tech’s Enter Sandman, or Wisconsin’s Jump Around. One of our goals is to create you wouldn’t believe moments at our games. This is one of those you-wouldn’t-believe moments that first-time fans or visiting teams will talk about.
  5. We…Are Marshall – Nothing I need to say here … you all know what to do.
I'm going to need a cheat sheet so I'll know what to do, when to do it, and for how long. I thought the idea of going to a bball game was to enjoy the action, root for the team, and go crazy when our team goes on a run. Under this scenario, I'll be worn out by the first media, er tv, timeout.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
Clearly, you've never seen Texas A&M fans...
Their traditions/cheers developed organically. We have things like the We Are and Let’s Go Herd that are a million times better when started by the crowd and not some announcer trying to force it.

Organized cheering dictated by a set schedule is not really cheering, it’s propaganda. Like the Olympics when held in China.

Hopefully my best friend riflearm2 will stop by this thread to give you a kudos to perkins award.

Did you know I'm now getting as much air travel mileage as the greatest catcher in Herd history? I've been to at least 20 different states in the last three months, and I don't even wear Gucci shoes.

I'm almost a big deal.
I recommend the Sperry Gold Cup series. Much better value than Gucci. Plus, they look better and have those grip soles on them. Gucci doesn't even offer that.

How do you know this wasn't started organically, and what is that anyway? If the cheerleaders start it, is that organically. If someone from the ran base recommends it, is that organic? All this message does it explain to the masses what is going on and inviting them to participate in it. Sometimes it feels that from some of you our athletic department is doomed come hell or high water. No matter what they try there is condemnation and challenge. What is that all about? We want fan participation, we want fan attendance growth, and we dependent on the entire investment to assist it in happening. Just like DD has accountability for the performance on the court, the athletic department is accountable to empower and support him. I applaud them for giving it a whirl. It may seem gamey, or silly, or contrived, but it is effort and we will all see if it pays off.

I am glad we are winning. Here are some facts for tonight's game; The NET has MU at #187 and South Alabama at #259 out of 362 Division I teams. Those are facts and they are important. MU's goal should be to get to The Big Dance. The NET rankings determine the seedings so we all should be following them; if the goal is to win the conference. Now if you are happy to finish in the conference at a lower level, I guess you might not care about the rankings?

Their traditions/cheers developed organically. We have things like the We Are and Let’s Go Herd that are a million times better when started by the crowd and not some announcer trying to force it.

Organized cheering dictated by a set schedule is not really cheering, it’s propaganda. Like the Olympics when held in China.
Nah, they have to call the students to the stadium the night before to make sure they do things correctly.
...and they continue to burn money and lose in embarrassing fashion.
I love it.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I am glad we are winning. Here are some facts for tonight's game; The NET has MU at #187 and South Alabama at #259 out of 362 Division I teams. Those are facts and they are important. MU's goal should be to get to The Big Dance. The NET rankings determine the seedings so we all should be following them; if the goal is to win the conference. Now if you are happy to finish in the conference at a lower level, I guess you might not care about the rankings?

You're basically posting that MU should probably win this game and if they don't, they're a pretty bad team.

Obviously people haven't been paying attention to the last 35 years or so.

In what way?
That MU hasn't been relevant in that time?
I agree.
MU however, has had plenty of opportunities in the last 35 or so years, to catch fire like they did with DD.
Why they haven't, when conferences were in noticeably down years, is beyond me.

DD became a victim of his own success. He showed that with what MU had alotted to mens basketball, you could be successful.
Lots are attributed to good players/leaders and Dan actually having a decent game plan as well.

Now, he seems to really show his job isn't in danger, because while the team has had a brief streak, he doesn't seem phased by their overall lack of quality success.

I give Huff credit in that he at least is trying to change the narrative of his legacy.

91-85 South Alabama! Nice Try, Perkins! That was really some "FUN", as "Coach" Danny would say!

Also, this idea does not mesh with the fact that our predominantly senior citizen-based crowd in a significant way are still trying to locate and make their way to their seats when the game tips off!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: HerdGrad1999
False Prophet once again.

Rah, rah, rah.

But. . .

There's a guy in the concourse by the popcorn machine blowing up balloons and twisting them into chimpanzees for the kids.

Token effort.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
  1. Rodent ‘Hey Yo’ Video – The rodent call-and-response video is personally my favorite thing. We started it at football and our fans really enjoyed it. We brought it to basketball a few games ago and the crowd participation was awesome. During this video, we are asking ALL fans to stand during the video and participate in the call-and-response. Immediately following the video, we will transition into a song called “Seven Nation Army.” The beat naturally makes you want to jump up and down (for those who are able). Our amazing pep band and our students did this last game it was an awesome moment. We truly believe that this can be a Marshall Athletics moment that can go viral if we have the participation. When we think of this- we think of Virgina Tech’s Enter Sandman, or Wisconsin’s Jump Around. One of our goals is to create you wouldn’t believe moments at our games. This is one of those you-wouldn’t-believe moments that first-time fans or visiting teams will talk about.
What do I think? I think it is unbelievably awful and unbelievably unoriginal. That chant has been widely used at sporting events (especially soccer) for nearly 20 years. It's old, tacky, and completely unoriginal.

You think doing what tons of other events have been doing for years will somehow result in a "you wouldn't believe this" moment? No. We should just use Jock James Volume II at this point.

Jump Around? It's original. Enter Sandman? Original. That song? Done at hundreds of other stadiums/arenas already. Are you really not familiar with it?

And it's no surprise that Huntington Fvcking West Virginia decided to use a song by a group called The White Stripes. No chance in hell they would use a song by The Black Keys.

He's actually 76. If you can support a 78 to 81 year old's attempt to run a country, then a 76 year older should be able to run a basketball team, right?

Did you know I'm now getting as much air travel mileage as
Doubt it. I ran my air and hotel expenses for 2023, and they hit over $105k for the year. I think I am going to move to a monastery for a year and donate the money I save to Marshall cheerleading, so they can recruit some better looking broads. Having to see them in-person at the bowl game left me nauseated.

and I don't even wear Gucci shoes.
You need the matching Gucci carry-on and small satchel. Let me know if you need pics to help with your attempt to procure them.

Here is what is happening at a basketball game:

These are my observations as a supporter, donator and season ticket holder........

We are forced lately to watch our money go to guys that never contribute a thing during a game. We are forced to each year lately to watch a bunch of older players be career bench warmers at Marshall University because Dan likes those guys and they like him. We have five scholarship players currently that rarely.....and I mean rarely......contribute one damn bit of production during a basketball game. It has been going on for years now and will continue to go on as long as supporters allow it.

Then when you get in your car after a game, you will get a coach's post-game press conference where he will whine and complain that the other team that we lost to is "a portal team" or "a team with a bunch of 23-and 24-year olds". Nonsense! We have ton of older players that never play in a game. The media won't question it. Dan's supporters are fine with it as long as they can rub elbows with him and he grants practice access.

Many fans are just fine and dandy with players like Braun, McKey, Toussaint, Miladinovic and Sarenac, and their total lack of production in basketball games. Others of us call it poor roster management. Every other D1 coach moves these types of players to NAIA/D2 schools and brings in players that have the ability to contribute.....the ability to push other players.....the ability to come off the bench early in a game and give us a defensive lift when the other guys couldn't make a stop to save their lives.

This conference is not that tough to win. The simple fact is that our head coach has not developed the entire 13-man scholarship roster to the ability that it should be developed. You don't need promotions when you should be winning. Marshall fans have shown they will come out when they see a coach who puts together the best roster possible and puts a quality product on the floor.

Dan’s teams, this one especially, play hard and play a very fan friendly, exciting style. The main issue is that we are playing that style with at an overall talent level of the lower half of a bad D-I conference. We look like a bad ass, high flying, national champion D-II team.

Wrong.

Token effort.
Don't agree at all, leading the actions of, and encouraging engagement of fans has been a part of college sports for as long as I can remember; it used to be cheerleaders, now it's just other stuff. It's fun for many and a no harm thing for others. Next thing to bitch about please.

Dan’s teams, this one especially, play hard and play a very fan friendly, exciting style. The main issue is that we are playing that style with at an overall talent level of the lower half of a bad D-I conference. We look like a bad ass, high flying, national champion D-II team.
We couldn't beat the best D2 teams.

And you know this how???
Anybody who has an adult standard for judging sports teams, understands that this basketball team stinks. The coach stinks. The players stink. None belong at the level that are at.

You, of course, apply the child-fan standard. "It says 'MARSHALL' on it, so it is the bessssssteest evvvvvvvvvvvar" OK. Whatever. That really doesn't further the discussion at all. Root, root, root for the home team and childlike delusion about who they are in the real world is something most people get over by age 12.

Reality is that this is one of the worst basketball teams in DI, and certainly would lose to many DII teams. Anyone who understands basketball gets that.

Reality is that the adult understand that DD (and CH and CS) must be fired, so the long process of rebuilding can begin. Because non-leader CS did not fire DD and CH last year, we are already a year behind in the rebuilding.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT