ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball announcement?

When did I ever say it would not happen?

I have pointed out that, IMHO, many here have unrealistic expectations about football, and this leads them to say things that are just dumb and hurting out program. Our football program is in good hands. You may disagree.

I have pointed out that, IMHO, many here have a delusional state about basketball and this leads them to fail to demand better. Our basketball program, save for 8 magic days, is exactly where it has been for a long time, bouncing around a conference where a third of the teams don't even try. Poorly. Our basketball program is aimless, rudderless, and leaderless. You may disagree.

BUT, if anything, I get SLAMMED here all the time for pointing out what an AWESOME and MARVELOUS AD we have, generally in the face of know-nothings whose whole routine is "we should win in football, every game, every year, fire Doc". I have stated, time and time again, that PAYING for the baseball field is a big ask, but our GREAT AD is the only person I have faith in to get it done.

Now, that said, is this an announcement of the field's site, which we have known for over 6 month; or some actual $$ related news? Tune in Thursday.

I have pointed out that, IMHO, many here have unrealistic expectations about football, and this leads them to say things that are just dumb and hurting out program. Our football program is in good hands. You may disagree.

I have pointed out that, IMHO, many here have a delusional state about basketball and this leads them to fail to demand better. Our basketball program, save for 8 magic days, is exactly where it has been for a long time, bouncing around a conference where a third of the teams don't even try. Poorly. Our basketball program is aimless, rudderless, and leaderless. You may disagree.

BUT, if anything, I get SLAMMED here all the time for pointing out what an AWESOME and MARVELOUS AD we have, generally in the face of know-nothings whose whole routine is "we should win in football, every game, every year, fire Doc". I have stated, time and time again, that PAYING for the baseball field is a big ask, but our GREAT AD is the only person I have faith in to get it done.

Now, that said, is this an announcement of the field's site, which we have known for over 6 month; or some actual $$ related news? Tune in Thursday.

First Sad Sam..
..I take offense about you speaking crap that "our basketball program is aimless, rudderless and LEADERLESS." You my HERD kindred--- has a history talking poorly about a family member (be it by marriage). Dan has done a HELL of a job returning HERD HOOPS to a GREAT winter activity to ENTERTAIN the HERD faithful! Home attendance [near 7900 is # 1 in CUSA] is near where Coach Huck had it....Donnie Jones had some good crowds depending on the foe....Coach Dan is a steal for a base salary of $200,000. We know that Dan makes double that with rewards & incentives. Coach Huggins (WVU) has a $250,000 base, yet makes around $3.5 million annually.

You have your right to talk poorly about Dan...we do live in a country where one can criticize or point out unfound faulty points.

With that being said.....there will be an announcement that a New Campaign is forthcoming and we HERD fans will be asked to "pony up"....remember Mike H is right when he declares..."we do more (at Marshall) with less!"

Not sure if your intent is condescending to use ALL CAPS .....when referring to "our MARVELOUS AD." Think what you will...Mike Hamrick loves Marshall and I support he is doing a hell of a job to advance HERD athletics. So is our Head & Assistant Head of the Big Green Foundation---who report to OUR MARVELOUS AD!

Try being a little more POSITIVE and you won't get the shit kicked out of your words of despair!

Gary Sweeney (HerdZilla22)
in Charlotte Now it's cold here---but not as Cold as your heart!

Positive. In football, I get slammed for being positive, and understanding what a great job our great coach is doing.

In the business of sports, I get slammed for being positive, and understanding that our AD accomplishing things here no one else ever has, rather than join the amen chorus of football know-nothings who think his job is to fire Doc, or to beg to join the idiotic THE AMERICAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! non-thing with money we do not have, and who know so little about football as to think that either is actually a good idea.

In basketball? Well, everybody is somebody's relative, but sorry, this team is not any good. It should, given the resources accorded it and the nominal effort that about a third of the league makes at the sport, do far better, every year. It had a great 8 days, once, but other than that, has not done anything in many decades. This year's team was unprepared and this years players are just not Div I level players. That is on the coach.

As to to the baseball park, MH is the man to get it done. Look at all he accomplished. Doc, the soccer field, the IPF, better travel, many things.

Sam the guys that play this year, are the same guys that played last year with the exception of 1 or 2. Kinsey being one, and if you don't think he can play D1 basketball then you should just sign off the board all together. With the exception of Peneva, we brought the entire team back that advanced to the round of 32 last year. Stop talking about basketball.

Sam you lose any credibility that you have when you go on with your nonsense about where the football program is.

Dan D’antoni’s teams have won over 20 games the last 2 years. They have been in the semi finals and two straight finals in the CUSA tournament the last 3 years. He actually won a conference tournament for the first time since 86. He then went on to win the first NCAA tournament game ever in the history of our program. To put it in perspective he won the first meaningful real national post season (NCAA or NIT) tournament game since 1967. We won 2 NIT games in 1967 when it was the big college basketball post season tournament. Let me repeat that 1967 was the last time we had a legitimate post season win!!!

So since 1967 we have only participated in a legitimate post season basketball tournament 11 times. In those 11 legitimate tournament appearances we have won 3 games, 2 of them being over 50 years ago. So to act like Dan doesn’t know what he’s doing because he has had a maybe down year (we don’t know because this year isn’t over yet so we don’t know how this year will turn out.) is ridiculous.

Dans tenure is nothing like the normal basketball coaching tenure that we have had since Huck left. So please stop the nonsense that he was a product of a one year magical post season run that you always bring up. We won 21 regular season games including a sweep of 24th ranked MTSU. We then won the CUSA tournament and one game in the NCAA’s. That’s huge and it was a culmination of the continued evolution of success we have had under Dantoni.

This year we have taken a step back but to act like his accomplishments are nothing or that his system stinks etc. are absolutely ridiculous.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Sam the guys that play this year, are the same guys that played last year with the exception of 1 or 2. Kinsey being one, and if you don't think he can play D1 basketball then you should just sign off the board all together. With the exception of Peneva, we brought the entire team back that advanced to the round of 32 last year. Stop talking about basketball.
We have the following returners from last year:
West. Burks, Watson, Elmore, Theineman, Williams and George.
We have 15 on the roster. Do the math.

Positive. In football, I get slammed for being positive, and understanding what a great job our great coach is doing.

In the business of sports, I get slammed for being positive, and understanding that our AD accomplishing things here no one else ever has, rather than join the amen chorus of football know-nothings who think his job is to fire Doc, or to beg to join the idiotic THE AMERICAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! non-thing with money we do not have, and who know so little about football as to think that either is actually a good idea.

In basketball? Well, everybody is somebody's relative, but sorry, this team is not any good. It should, given the resources accorded it and the nominal effort that about a third of the league makes at the sport, do far better, every year. It had a great 8 days, once, but other than that, has not done anything in many decades. This year's team was unprepared and this years players are just not Div I level players. That is on the coach.

As to to the baseball park, MH is the man to get it done. Look at all he accomplished. Doc, the soccer field, the IPF, better travel, many things.
Football is in good hands if you like 2nd or 3rd place finishes in the division.

Why does a baseball stadium post have to turn into a football and basketball banter. It only takes seconds for this site to get off topic. I’ve been following for a long time and this is my first post.

First Sad Sam....I take offense about you speaking crap that "our basketball program is aimless, rudderless and LEADERLESS." You my HERD kindred--- has a history talking poorly about a family member (be it by marriage). Dan has done a HELL of a job returning HERD HOOPS to a GREAT winter activity to ENTERTAIN the HERD faithful! Home attendance [near 7900 is # 1 in CUSA] is near where Coach Huck had it....Donnie Jones had some good crowds depending on the foe....Coach Dan is a steal for a base salary of $200,000. We know that Dan makes double that with rewards & incentives. Coach Huggins (WVU) has a $250,000 base, yet makes around $3.5 million annually.

You have your right to talk poorly about Dan...we do live in a country where one can criticize or point out unfound faulty points.

With that being said.....there will be an announcement that a New Campaign is forthcoming and we HERD fans will be asked to "pony up"....remember Mike H is right when he declares..."we do more (at Marshall) with less!"

Not sure if your intent is condescending to use ALL CAPS .....when referring to "our MARVELOUS AD." Think what you will...Mike Hamrick loves Marshall and I support he is doing a hell of a job to advance HERD athletics. So is our Head & Assistant Head of the Big Green Foundation---who report to OUR MARVELOUS AD!

Try being a little more POSITIVE and you won't get the shit kicked out of your words of despair!

Gary Sweeney (HerdZilla22)
in Charlotte Now it's cold here---but not as Cold as your heart!

We are leading CUSA in attendance, but the average is nowhere near 7,900.

Reactions: oldeherd
Peneva was worth a net +26 per game in the +/- ratings according to the metrics. We may have returned a lot but his production on offense and defense was a huge loss and has not been replaced this year. As a result, the team is no where near as good as last season.

Reactions: caliherd
Peneva was worth a net +26 per game in the +/- ratings according to the metrics. We may have returned a lot but his production on offense and defense was a huge loss and has not been replaced this year. As a result, the team is no where near as good as last season.[/QUOTE

The ‘72-73 Marshall team returned 4 of 5 starters. Missing was Russell Lee, the sun which the 4 planets rotated around the year before. The team minus Russ was not the same.

The ‘72-73 team returned 4 starters minus Russell Lee, the sun which the 4 planets rotated around the year before . That team minus Russ was not the same.

Reactions: caliherd
The ‘72-73 team returned 4 starters minus Russell Lee, the sun which the 4 planets rotated around the year before . That team minus Russ was not the same.

They did get to the NIT. And played a pretty solid schedule as well.

If Peneva would have stayed, if Litton would have stayed.
What are the excuses for next year?
We lost Bee, we lost our LB’s , we lost Elmore, Burks and Watson. I can see the posts now.

The last man who led the Herd to 1st place in a conference regular season in basketball is dead.

Mj2iT9d.gif

Reactions: 19MU88 and caliherd
Dan doesn’t know what he’s doing because he has had a maybe down year

14-15, inherited a mess, went 11-21, 12th in league, lost first round, DOWN YEAR, not his fault.
15-16, went 17-16 improving late for 3rd in league, lost second round, DOWN YEAR.
16-17, went 20-15, 6th in league, lost finals, DOWN YEAR
17-18, went 25-11, 4th in league, got hot in conference tournament, won it, won one game as a 14 seed. Good year.
18-19 , currently 14-13 with FIVE losses by 20 plus or more, including a 50 point beat down by a team that lost to an NAIA preacher's college, probably finish 8th in conference, probably lose in 2nd round of tournament. After Street and Smith/Sporting News picked us 25th nationally. DOWN YEAR does not begin to describe it.

That is four out of five down years.

(we don’t know because this year isn’t over yet so we don’t know how this year will turn out.)

One of these things will happen:

MU will again "get hot in the conference tournament and who knows" in which case we will deservedly play an HBCU or the Big South or MAAC champion in Dayton for a 16th seed and a chance to see what Zion can do.

MU will do a little better in this "pod" silliness, get to the semis, which means 20 wins and decide to pay to play.

MU will continue to lose and not even be eligible for that, or will decline not to pay to play.

Dans tenure is nothing like the normal basketball coaching tenure that we have had since Huck left.

Leaving out 8 special days, it is exactly the same. This league should be easy to dominate. BTW, the SoCon has a higher RPI and NET, as do the MAC and the Ivy League.

If Peneva would have stayed, if Litton would have stayed.
What are the excuses for next year?
We lost Bee, we lost our LB’s , we lost Elmore, Burks and Watson. I can see the posts now.
One player in basketball does make a huge difference especially if that one player is A arguably your best player and B a player that plays a position that you are thin at.
PDbailey broke down what the Peneva loss meant to this team from strictly a stat perspective and the stats were very eye opening. Add in the fact that with his loss and Bennetts injury, another one of our better players, Williams, has had to play out of position the whole year and has caused him to not have the type of year he would have had if he was playing at his natural position. Those aren’t excuses they are facts.

Have we underachieved? yes, is it an excuse to have the blowout losses we have had this season? no, but there is no denying that we have seen improvement all of the 4 previous seasons that Dan has coached here including having the best basketball post season we have had since 1967, so I’ll give him a pass this year.

Plus this year still isn’t over you never know what will happen these last 4 games and the CUSA tournament although I know it’s a long shot for this season to be salvageable. If we have a repeat next year of this year then yes I do think Dan deserves most of the criticism.

The Big South wouldn't be the play in, just saying. MAAC, MEAC, NEC are all the worst of the worst. I would be a good thing too, Radford is not a team I would want to face in the first round unless I was Duke etc.

14-15, inherited a mess, went 11-21, 12th in league, lost first round, DOWN YEAR, not his fault.
15-16, went 17-16 improving late for 3rd in league, lost second round, DOWN YEAR.
17-18, went 25-11, 4th in league, got hot in conference tournament, won it, won one game as a 14 seed. Good year.
18-19 , currently 14-13 with FIVE losses by 20 plus or more, including a 50 point beat down by a team that lost to an NAIA preacher's college, probably finish 8th in conference, probably lose in 2nd round of tournament. After Street and Smith/Sporting News picked us 25th nationally. DOWN YEAR does not begin to describe it.

One of these things will happen:

MU will again "get hot in the conference tournament and who knows" in which case we will deservedly play an HBCU or the Big South or MAAC champion in Dayton for a 16th seed and a chance to see what Zion can do.

MU will do a little better in this "pod" silliness, get to the semis, which means 20 wins and decide to pay to play.

MU will continue to lose and not even be eligible for that, or will decline not to pay to play.

Leaving out 8 special days, it is exactly the same. This league should be easy to dominate. BTW, the SoCon has a higher RPI and NET, as do the MAC and the Ivy League.

So your expectations is that Dan Dantoni should do what exactly ZERO basketball coaches have done in the history of our program to be considered good in your eyes and that is to dominate and win our conference every year. This coaching list includes a coach who won multiple national championships at another school so he must have been OK. Talk about ridiculously stupid sky high expectations. I don’t even know why I read your posts. You are ridiculous.

I agree with most of this... But two points worth noting... 2016-17 was not a down year. The team showed quite a bit of improvement that season compared to years prior. It didn't always translate to wins, but the product on the floor was much better.

Also, "This league should be easy to dominate" is even more ridiculous in basketball than it is in football. You're the same guy that thinks the football program is "in good hands" and we haven't dominated CUSA at any point in that sport, but we should be dominating it in basketball? Where our team has been essentially awful for 30+ years prior to last year?

Since joining CUSA we have had 1 great year in football and 1 great year in hoops... Several good years in football and a couple in basketball... and two bad years in football and a bunch of bad years in basketball. We haven't dominated anything.

Given that CUSA EXISTS for football, which is to say that it is made of schools all trying to play football at the same level, with basketball (and everything else) brought along for the ride and with VERY different levels of commitment to basketball, including a third that simply make a totally nominal effort and will NEVER win and will never care if they do or not, YES we should expect to be in the top three or four every year and to make the tournament with great regularity. There are plenty of what should be automatic wins in this league.

I can see what you're saying. Many don't seem to give Hamrick credit where its due.
One thing about him, he may take longer to get things done but he does that to make sure they're done right.
Oh and also...

THE AMERICAN!!!!!!!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT