ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball

riflearm2

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2004
The change of baseball from being good hitters to only focusing on home runs is awful.

15 years ago, there were 42 players who finished with a batting average of at least .300. Any guess how many are hitting at least .300 this year?

10 fvcking players in all of the Big Leagues are hitting at least .300. That's horrendous. I've noticed a slight change in swings away from the big loopy, home run (but high strikeout) swings, but the average thing is still terrible.

I'm going to get into trouble here with reading comprehension issues, but while watching the college WS, how can guys that play college baseball not hit at minimum, 325?

To each their own. But attendance wouldn’t really side with your opinion

Attendance was trending down. Then the steroid era hit. Home runs way up. Attendance exploded. Up nearly 20 million.

Steroid era ends and it starts to edge down a little. Not a lot. But a little. The time period around 09 you mentioned saw three straight years of decline.

Then the last couple of years it is heading back up.

So. That is your opinion

As a fan who used to love baseball.

Then went away a little.

The recent changes have brought me back a little bit more.

Wouldn't you want certain types of hitters at certain places in your line up? Wouldn't you score more run by have situational hitters and then a couple power hitters mixed hit?

Give me Toney Gwynn over Jose Conseco anyday.

Wouldn't you want certain types of hitters at certain places in your line up? Wouldn't you score more run by have situational hitters and then a couple power hitters mixed hit?

Give me Toney Gwynn over Jose Conseco anyday.

What’s funny is you guys always yapping about winning championships. Thats the only thing that matters

Tony Gwynn - zero
Jose Canseco - two

To each their own. But attendance wouldn’t really side with your opinion

Attendance was trending down. Then the steroid era hit. Home runs way up. Attendance exploded. Up nearly 20 million.

Steroid era ends and it starts to edge down a little. Not a lot. But a little. The time period around 09 you mentioned saw three straight years of decline.

So. That is your opinion

Then went away a little.

Why are you writing in disjointed, nonsensical bullet points? Did you loan your log-in to Sisters?

I'm going to get into trouble here with reading comprehension issues, but while watching the college WS, how can guys that play college baseball not hit at minimum, 325?
Here, let me dumb it down for you.

The overall national batting average for NCAA D1 in 2018 (the most recent year I could find) was .270. So anybody hitting above .270 was better than the average. This year, the median team batting average was also .270. So even six years apart, the batting average has stayed pretty consistent.

In other words, hitting .325 is substantially better than average, so that is how guys who play D1 baseball can't hit .325, minimum.

Baseball's steroid era is routinely defined as 1994-2004.

Here is the average attendance per game for MLB during those segments:

1974-1978: 16,946
1979-1983: 20,595
1984-1988: 23,211
1989-1993: 27,347
1994-1999: 28,097
2000-2004: 29,026

2005-2009: 31,484
2010-2014: 30,379

As you can see, the bold numbers are the steroid era. Going back to the previous 30 years, you see that the attendance was not "trending down." In fact, it was doing the complete opposite. Then, during the steroid era, attendance did not "explode." In fact, the attendance increase from the start of the steroid era was the lowest percent of increase compared to each five year segment going back at least 20 years (I'd guess even further than that).

So what you're claiming is not only wrong ("attendance was trending down"), but also completely misguided (steroid era "exploded" attendance).

Steroid era ends and it starts to edge down a little. Not a lot. But a little.
Again, that is completely false. Let's look at the six years immediately after the steroid era:

2005-2009: 31,484

And as you can see again, the attendance for the five years immediately after the steroid era was substantially higher (compared to usual MLB percent increase) than the 10 years of the steroid era.

The time period around 09 you mentioned saw three straight years of decline.

That's only a half-truth, and it's because the years immediately prior to 2009 (years after the steroid era ended) saw big numbers.

2008: 32,382
2009: 30,218
2010: 30,066
2011: 30,228
2012: 30,806

So there wasn't a three straight year decline like you said. In fact, it stayed pretty flat for about eight years in a row. One would think that after the steroid bust in 2004 (early 2005 regarding the Congressional hearings), old-time baseball fans would give up on the sport. And I'm sure some did, which is why the growth that MLB saw for 60+ years flatlined. But there really wasn't a decline, and the short decline that happened was many years after the end of the steroid era.

That's because of two things:
1) Covid(2020 and 2021 seasons) wiped out attendance, so there was nowhere to go but up for the last couple of seasons.
2) MLB realized the sport was getting away from things that made it popular and fun: guys getting on base, bunting, stolen bases, etc. instead of just a strikeout, walk, or home run. So in order to bring fans back and make the game entertaining with more than just a SO/BB/HR, they manipulated the rules.

The entire point of why they did #2 was because they realized that the game had changed for the worse by getting away from people getting on base, moving them over/stealing, bunting, etc. Nobody wants to just see nothing but SO/BB/HR.

The fact that only 10 players in MLB are hitting at least .300 is abysmal. If you would have told fans that 20 years ago, they would have laughed at you. Hell, the '76 Reds, '96 Yankees, and '97 Mariners had five guys hit at least .300, yet all of baseball only has 10 currently.

Then went away a little.

Uhh, yeah. That's the entire point. The recent changes were to get away from just SO/BB/HR. It incentivized more getting on base, easier stolen bases, etc. That, in turn, will change focus to hitting for average instead of just power. That's why you came back, which is proving my point. The game had gotten away from that for 25 years.

. . . and you also came back because Marshall basketball, football, and baseball has been so bad, that you didn't get your fill of sports.

Not a fan of the current style. Guess it’s what you grow up on, but I appreciate the strategy of the game, which doesn’t really exist much anymore. Get me a lead off hit, a stolen base, hit behind the runner to get them to 3rd and a sac fly and I’m more happy than KO, KO, HR, KO.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
I see eleven players above .300 or above as of today.

But let's compare to a different era, on only one team.

The 1975 Reds had four players finish the year at .300 or better.

The 1976 Reds? FIVE players at .300 or better.
Those Reds team could probably beat an All Star team of today. OK, before anybody gets pissed, I am just stating how good those Reds teams were. A figure of speech.

I see eleven players above .300 or above as of today.

But let's compare to a different era, on only one team.

The 1975 Reds had four players finish the year at .300 or better.

The 1976 Reds? FIVE players at .300 or better.
Thanks for repeating my comment.

I have to admit that on a fundamental level the ban on shifts rubs me the wrong way, but I am hoping it leads to more guys going back to hitting for average. Rifle is right, three outcome baseball is not a fun watch.

Baseball attendance increased on the back of the steroid era. As the home runs started to come down. Attendance then started to drop. Now. Attendance is back in the rise again.

It came up and hit a peak in 07, then dropped and was stagnant, then had a nice size drop again in 18. Dropped 10 million over 10 years.

And now is on pace to increase for a 4th consecutive season

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT