ADVERTISEMENT

Beach

As is Galveston, but nobody is comparing that to the Emerald Coast.

Water color/clarity can be extremely different based on just a few days. At different times of the year, it can be totally different on the same beach.

As a whole, the Emerald Coast is as good as it gets in the continental U.S. for water. Of course, I've also seen that area's water look worse than the Atlantic side of Florida on some days.

Miami/Ft. Lauderdale? It has its good days, but for overall beach, it isn't stellar. The slope from the sand to the water is drastic. They tend to get a ton of seaweed throughout the year. Clearwater usually is far better, though the length of the beach doesn't go very far. Siesta Key is better than Clearwater throughout the year, but the actual beach area is way too big at Siesta. You need a train to get you from the start of the beach to the water. The Emerald Coast tends to have the best mix of it all.

The stretch from New Smyrna beach through Daytona Shores/Daytona Beach/Ormond Beach is drastically underrated. It became the most popular beach in the country 20-30 years ago due to the quality of the beach. But the party reputation and lack of new, high-end hotels took away the luxury part of it. The one thing Miami Beach/Daytona has that the Emerald Coast doesn't is a good opportunity for fitness. I can't sit on a beach for eight hours doing nothing. I want to run, walk, get in the water. The Emerald Coast doesn't allow for running (at all) or even walking long distances due to how soft the sand is. Miami Beach has a decent, paved running/biking/skating path along the beach in the back of the hotels. Daytona's sand is packed enough where you can easily jog for 15 miles each way on it. People love the beaches north of Ormond (St. Augustine, Jacksonville, Flagler), but they tend to have too much crushed shells and have very little sand area.

Miami and the Emerald Coast also tend to get crowded easily. The popular part of Daytona is the same way, but unlike the first two areas, Daytona quickly changes to residential beachfront areas after just a few miles. You can walk in those areas for 20 minutes without passing a single person. You can't do that anywhere in Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, or the Emerald Coast (unless you're on one of the remote barrier islands/peninsulas).

I really like the gentle slope here. Being able to go a good distance out in the water makes it a lot less crowded.

Water clarity isn't great today. There is a minor disturbance out in the Gulf, I think that's the problem. It's not terrible, just not as good as I have heard it can be.

We were on the Gulf at Santa Rosa Beach. I talked to a local and found out the zoning laws limit buildings to 50’ in height. Keeps the horizon so much cleaner and views nicer. Go to Topsail State Park and ride the tram to the beach, it’s gorgeous!!

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
I have looked at Florida. I love the Destin/Ft Walton area. Great place to visit and go to the beach. Stunning. That being said, it would not be my favorite Florida destination to live. I have been there in the winter. It is a very remote area. You are a LOOOOONNNNGGG way to anything major. When the crowds empty out, it is a remote and desolate area. The weather in the winter can be quite different than Tampa/Orlando, etc. Not that it is cold of course, but it not the weather of central or southern Florida on the middle Gulf side. Similar weather to Charleston, SC. Absolute gorgeous place, but just not somewhere I would want to call permanent home.

Go there in February(I have) and drive in there and you realize you are in a very remote destination. I know several folks that live there. Some like it, some don't. The area can be quite expensive as well, depending on where you live. For me, if I were calling Florida a permanent home there are better locations.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
I have looked at Florida. I love the Destin/Ft Walton area. Great place to visit and go to the beach. Stunning. That being said, it would not be my favorite Florida destination to live. I have been there in the winter. It is a very remote area. You are a LOOOOONNNNGGG way to anything major. When the crowds empty out, it is a remote and desolate area. The weather in the winter can be quite different than Tampa/Orlando, etc. Not that it is cold of course, but it not the weather of central or southern Florida on the middle Gulf side. Similar weather to Charleston, SC. Absolute gorgeous place, but just not somewhere I would want to call permanent home.

Go there in February(I have) and drive in there and you realize you are in a very remote destination. I know several folks that live there. Some like it, some don't. The area can be quite expensive as well, depending on where you live. For me, if I were calling Florida a permanent home there are better locations.
If you want year round activity go to Panama City beach. Most year round residents in the Ft Walton area are military and retired military. We don’t have the snowbirds like the rest of Florida. We are a summer destination not a winter destination that’s what makes us different than the rest of Florida.

Reactions: i am herdman
If you want year round activity go to Panama City beach. Most year round residents in the Ft Walton area are military and retired military. We don’t have the snowbirds like the rest of Florida. We are a summer destination not a winter destination that’s what makes us different than the rest of Florida.
Are the people in Santa Rosa (your alter ego residence) voting in the 18th District Pennsyvlania Congressional race?

I really like the Jacksonville part of Florida for exactly that reason. It's north enough that you have somewhat recognizable seasons, but far enough south that you don't really have winter.
Jacksonville looks really good for that reason. Big enough city close by for all the amenities of a city. Beaches are plentiful. Great weather all year but some recognizable season, but nothing harsh in terms of winter. Still on the eastern seaboard and right on 95(although I hate that highway) and you can be most anywhere you need to be. Still close enough for day trips to Orlando or even the Gulf side. Atlanta is 5 hrs away. Savannah just up the road(man the eastern seaboard of GA is just beautiful). Can go back to the hills/mountans with a trip just north west of Atlanta. SC is not that far away if you need to make a pilgrimage.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
Are the people in Santa Rosa (your alter ego residence) voting in the 18th District Pennsyvlania Congressional race?

I would like to congratulate Michigan for this epic milestone: it has been 5,000 days since they have won a B1G championship in football. #MichiganSucks

With global warming, all those nice beach front homes will have indoor pools in 30 years. Or so they say. LOL!

I would like to congratulate Michigan for this epic milestone: it has been 5,000 days since they have won a B1G championship in football. #MichiganSucks
And only 143 days since winning back to back B1G basketball tournaments, and 112 days since competing for the national title. Meanwhile, 1,956 days since SE Ohio Fans have basked in the glory of winning the B1G basketball tournament, but as a consolation prize, they get to vote for the 18th District congressional seat in Pennsylvania.

And only 143 days since winning back to back B1G basketball tournaments, and 112 days since competing for the national title. Meanwhile, 1,956 days since SE Ohio Fans have basked in the glory of winning the B1G basketball tournament, but as a consolation prize, they get to vote for the 18th District congressional seat in Pennsylvania.
I’ll take that option any day.

Actually a correction it’s been 5001 days.

Bucky, sorry dude, but you lost what little bit of credibility you had, which was slim and none to begin with. Enjoy the 18th district voting in SW PA.

Bucky, sorry dude, but you lost what little bit of credibility you had, which was slim and none to begin with. Enjoy the 18th district voting in SW PA.
He probably went to the Jerry Sandusky camp and changed over to a fake Buckeye fan.

What used to be one of the most storied rivalries in sports and Michigan hasn’t won in 2433 days. Wow.

I love going to the beach. Hate it that I was on the phone when my picture was taken. Oh well, that lemonade was awesome and there was not a cloud in the sky.

514a5c2141f07.jpeg
Looks like the female officer is writing you a ticket for public indecency.

Water clarity was fantastic the last two days.

This might sound crazy, but PCB is just dumpy enough that I like it. There's still "old Florida" here. It hasn't been turned into Orlando. I like that, it reminds me of the beach when I was a teenager.

The only "tourist meal" we had was Margaritaville. I found some great local places, including a hole in the wall with fantastic oysters and cold beer.

Destin area traffic was a nightmare. They are rebuilding the main drag.

We really liked it here, I think we'll be back in a couple years. We have a cruised planned for next summer, and I will be spending the rest of my vacation time this fiscal year in the mountains.

Water clarity was fantastic the last two days.

This might sound crazy, but PCB is just dumpy enough that I like it. There's still "old Florida" here. It hasn't been turned into Orlando. I like that, it reminds me of the beach when I was a teenager.

The only "tourist meal" we had was Margaritaville. I found some great local places, including a hole in the wall with fantastic oysters and cold beer.

Destin area traffic was a nightmare. They are rebuilding the main.

I saw a hole in the wall BBQ joint in PCB that I bet was really good, did you happen to eat there? It’s right in the beach front road. We were going for crab legs that night, our only night in PCB

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT