ADVERTISEMENT

HERDNATION.COM Behind Enemy Lines: Va Tech

Chris McLaughlin

Grammar Snob
Staff
Feb 14, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
marshall.rivals.com
HN caught up with Tim Thomas of the Tech Lunch Pail (@TechLunchPailD) to preview today's game:

Talk a little bit about Tech’s first game against Vandy. What went wrong?

This starts with Tech coming out completely unprepared to play and looking lifeless throughout the first half. They also didn't respond well to an early turnover according to Brent Pry which is unacceptable for a veteran team. The offensive gameplan was also a mess for the Hokies in the first half with no vertical passing to stretch the field. Their talent combined with a better gameplan led them to make a big second half surge and had them in position to win a game they had no business winning but a special teams mistake of two #0 jerseys on the field at the same time led to a field goal that proved crucial in forcing overtime and leading to a loss.

What about the game with Marshall concerns you?

I'll be blunt, not much. Virginia Tech has a clear talent advantage compared to the Thundering Herd and this feels like a classic bounce back spot against a weaker opponent. Tech also has multiple instances of blowout victories the week after bad losses including a blowout of Pittsburgh the week after Marshall's upset last season.

The one thing that does concern me is Virginia Tech's offensive which was subpar last week and could have issues with some of the Herd's defensive line, especially Mike Green. Tech has some serious questions on that unit and if I'm Marshall, I'm matching Green up against Parker Clements early and often.

What things does VA Tech do well that could hurt Marshall?

When Virginia Tech is actually utilizing their receiving talent as they did last week, this is an offense that can make defenses cover every inch of the ld from a variety of power running by Kyron Drones on read options, Bhayshul Tuten getting around the edge, Jaylin Lane being dangerous on screens and underneath passes, a combination of Da'Quan Felton and Ali Jennings stretching the field, and more. Tech has a clear talent advantage that should shine through if the Hokies run the type of offense they ran for the latter two-thirds of last season. Defensively, this team has some high-level stars who can be game-changers including Dorian Strong and Antwaun Powell-Ryland who I expect will be nightmares for Marshall to deal with.

Prediction to how the game will play out with score?

There's a lot of Tech fans who are overreacting to a Week 1 disappointment. I think this is a major bounce-back spot for the Hokies being at home with a lot to prove all over again. The two-touchdown spread was absurd to me and I think the three-touchdown spread is honestly a good bet if you're putting it on Tech. In the end, Virginia Tech wins 41-14 in a major bounce back performance.

I always like revisiting these predictions. Like every other VT fan I know, this guy overvalues the talent at VT. They didnt look good to me at all and I predict many more losses for them this year. Drones isnt an effective passer to say the least. Everyone was complaining about our lack of O, and VT only outgained us by 60 yards. I don't know if that says as much about our D or their lack of O? Probably a little bit of both. I mean our QB had a 36% completion rate and we were within striking distance the entire game.

Imagine the possibilities with a competent QB??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT