ADVERTISEMENT

Behind the Line: OL Grades vs Southern Miss

JudgeDD

Silver Buffalo
Gold Member
Jan 17, 2010
As I weigh in this week, I need to get a few things straight.

1. I have never claimed to be the only authority on OL play. It’s just that I do watch them closely, and I do take the time to grade them.

2. I am as impartial as I can be. I actually tend to be harder on Jordan because I expect more from him. But I can obviously see how some could assume favoritism, and for those, anything I say will be pointless.

3. I appreciate those who spoke out against the harsh words that were posted on Saturday. But I don’t need to be handled with kid gloves. I wouldn’t be on here if I couldn’t take criticism, of both myself and my son. However, Fever, you should know that there is a difference in being honest and being a dick, and being one doesn’t mean you necessarily have to be the other. Just saying…

The OL graded out the worst, as a group, as they have in the two years I’ve been doing this. There are some reasons for some of this – which I’ll talk about at the end of this post – but we definitely have to get more consistent play from this group.

Rubric:

Each play is graded for each player and average computed
0 = MA/totally blew assignment
1 = Didn't blow up the play, but sub-par technique/results
2 = Goal on each play - did your job to an acceptable level
3 = Rare - exceptional play or superior effort

< 1.50 - Unacceptable/Failing
1.65 - Adequate/Fair/Needs to Improve
1.75 - Passing Grade/We can win with this play
1.90 - Superior Grade/We should win with this play

Fred Binot
Run - 1.86
Pass - 1.64
Overall – 1.75
1 MA
1 QB Pressure

Fred had some issues with the speed rush this week. I credited him with 1 Missed Assignment, but there were two other occasions where I suspected as much. He has come a long way from last season, but still has some technical work to do to overcome his feet, which often just aren’t fast enough for the position.

Jordan Dowrey
Run - 1.74
Pass - 1.67
Overall - 1.69
5 Knockdowns
2 QB Pressures
2 Sacks

Though he has been one of the most consistent OL for the past two seasons, this was Jordan’s worst game since he’s been at Marshall. I’ve explained before the issue of having short arms, and this got him into trouble at least twice in this game, and both led to sacks. His run game, which is usually a strength, was only average on Saturday, though his 5 Knockdowns speak to his aggressiveness. I know that part of his struggles are created at the center position, but that alone doesn’t account for his poor play against Southern Miss. I hope that this was just an aberration, and not a sign of play to come. Last week he played a very dominant game, BTW, even if some (one) of you feel he hasn’t blocked anyone all year.

Levi Brown
Run - 1.57
Pass - 1.41
Overall - 1.49
1 Knockdown
3 MA
1 QB Hurries
2 QB Pressures

Levi has been our most inconsistent O-lineman, and he struggled mightily in this game. His MA count is probably much higher, as I can’t always read alignments from the view I’m grading. Our pass pro has been adjusted to try to deal with this weak link. Levi is only a redshirt freshman, so I am reluctant to be too hard on him. I was ready, a few weeks ago, to suggest that we may want to see Devers in this spot, but now he is needed elsewhere. For now, we may have to make do with an inexperienced center. On a positive note, most of his snaps have been good.

Nate Devers
Run - 1.81
Pass - 1.82
Overall - 1.82
3 Knockdown
1 QB Pressure

Our top-graded OL this past Saturday, Nate was consistent in both the run and pass game. It’s nice to see him take advantage of the opportunity that Selby’s injury provided. It may be a good time to note – for those of you who think they remember Nate, or Jordan, losing their man more often than this grade implies – that their job has been made more difficult by our center play. Nate did a pretty good job covering, but wasn’t perfect.

Clint Van Horn
Run - 2.00
Pass - 1.44
Overall - 1.62
1 Sack

Clint was only in for 19 snaps, and he wasn’t at full-strength for any of them. I don’t know how much more we can expect to see Van Horn in the remainder of the season. I just know that it’s a shame he cannot play healthy.

Sandley Jean-Felix
Run – 1.71
Pass – 1.50
Overall – 1.57
2 MA
2 QB Pressures
1 Sack

Sandley’s past problems have been head and heart related. He doesn’t always know who to block, and he hasn’t always combined his physical talents with a desire to get it done. I thought, on Saturday, Sandley appeared more confident and more determined than last season. Still, he had plenty of problems, especially in the passing game, where his usually decent footwork was a little slow against Southern Miss. Though it may not look like it, I think this was an adequate showing for Sandley. With more reps, I think he may still become an sufficient OL.

OL UNIT GRADES
Run
– 65% good/adequate running lanes by the OL. This number should be over 80%.

Pass – 76% good/solid pockets where QB had time and room to step up and throw. This number should be over 90%.

Penalties – 0. The one area where we improved as a unit.

~

So, overall, two OL had passing grades this week. Obviously this isn’t where we should be, and I hope this season-low represents the worst we will be, and that we will rebound next week at ODU.

Also to note: There were several times our guards looked as though they had lost their man, and were chasing him back to the QB. Twice, that is exactly what was happening with Dowrey. However, there were other times when the guard would set on the outside of a DL, expecting C help, only to be left alone. Once, Dowrey looked lost as he swiveled his head back and forth at the two unblocked defenders. His pause caused him to miss both (which I graded him down for), but our C never even saw either of them, and could have saved the situation had he done his job. Just saying that there are times when, if you don’t go back and grade each player and each play, it would be easy to misplace the credit/blame for a play.

Some OL obstacles to overcome:

1. Injuries/Experience. These are interrelated. Posters have occasionally brought up that the OL was supposed to be a strength of the team this season, and that we are an experienced group. Well, yes and no. This group is a strength when it comes to leadership (think what you might), but experience has always been misleading. Selby is our four-year starter, and Clint, as a sixth-year certainly has been around a while. But now Selby is out, and Clint probably should be for all the battering his body has taken. Jordan is our returning starter, but he is only a redshirt sophomore who took only 2/3 of the snaps last season due to injury, and this is his post-surgery season. Cody spit time with Jordan last season but is no longer with the team. Fred is a redshirt sophomore and first-year starter. Nate, the same. Levi is a redshirt freshman. And Sandley, though has started in the past, lost his position to a younger player this season. We are neither experienced nor healthy.

2. RB play. I don’t have any insight as to the disappearance of Pittman and Anderson (though I think Anderson has been banged up). I like how Davis runs, it’s just his vision is sometimes lacking. And Foster is quick enough, but doesn’t carry much weight into the hole. The running backs are not the reason we have not run the ball well, but they could make the OL look a little better with improved play.

3. QB play. One reason the run game doesn’t get going in a game is that our QB checks to the pass. His lack of trust in the run game too often leads him to go against the read he is getting from the defense. And yes, this should be addressed by the coaches (I’m not saying it hasn’t been addressed).

In the passing game, 29 of the 38 times we dropped back to pass on Saturday had a solid pocket. Only seven times was Litton pressured to leave the pocket or was sacked in it. Despite the popular opinion here, most pass plays our QB had plenty of time and space to throw. 76% of the time, to be exact. Last week, we were at 86%. The goal should be over 90%. Tough though, when the whole stadium knows we’re throwing.

I won’t get into discussions about Litton’s leadership other than to say that he is trying to do and say the right things. Every QB has a different personality and leadership style, and being a young QB, Litton may still need some time to grow into the role.

4. Play-calling/scheme. I happen to think that our biggest problem is scheme, and not play-calling. Sure, our staff could call different plays. But it is the overall scheme that seems designed to fail, and I’m not convinced that a different play from this playbook is going to save the day.

5. Opposing Defense. With only 3 minutes left in the game, Southern Miss still had 6 in the box, and their safety was still at the LOS to make a play. We have done nothing to threaten the middle of the field with our Play-action game, to take advantage of aggressive LBs and Safeties. As a result, even when the OL blocks perfectly, our RB is often hit 1 or 2 yards downfield. This is not a OL problem, but back to play-calling/scheme.

I don’t offer these last comments as excuses, but as contributing factors to our lack of offensive success.

As always, feel free to disagree. I’m not fragile. But if you’re just going to trash everything I’ve said with “we didn’t have any offense so they all suck,” then that shortens the debate.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News