ADVERTISEMENT

Best G5 team of all time

I would have had BYU #1 seeing how they won a national title.
I agree how can you be a national champ and not #1. I watched that BYU team and think we could have went toe to toe with them.The TCU team and the one Boise team would have been a battle for sure

I would have had BYU #1 seeing how they won a national title.

their wins are not impressive though...

Pitt (3-7-1)
Baylor (5-6)
Tulsa (6-5)
Hawaii (7-4)
Colorado St (3-4)
Wyoming (6-6)
Air Force (8-4)
New Mexico (4-8)
UTEP (2-9)
San Diego St (4-7-1)
Utah (6-5-1)
Utah St (1-10)
Michigan (6-6) Holiday Bowl

I wouldn't take that body of work over our '99 team...

Reactions: cottrell75
Capture.png

their "marquee" springboard win was over #3 Pitt in the first game of the season. Pitt went on to finish 3-7-1.

Reactions: ohio herd
Washington finished #2 behind BYU in 1984. there is no way in hell that would happen today.

Capture.png

Reactions: ohio herd

Pitt (3-7-1)
Baylor (5-6)
Tulsa (6-5)
Hawaii (7-4)
Colorado St (3-4)
Wyoming (6-6)
Air Force (8-4)
New Mexico (4-8)
UTEP (2-9)
San Diego St (4-7-1)
Utah (6-5-1)
Utah St (1-10)

Still yet. TCU gets #1 because they won a Rose Bowl. I'll take a natty over a Rose Bowl any day. Competition level can be debated. It's still a national title.

Still yet. TCU gets #1 because they won a Rose Bowl. I'll take a natty over a Rose Bowl any day. Competition level can be debated. It's still a national title.

yes, but the ranking was "best team" not "highest ranked team at the end of the season".

after taking a look at the 1984 season, i'm starting to think the Mormon church bought off a bunch of voters. there is no logical reason for BYU to be ranked #1...

yes, but the ranking was "best team" not "highest ranked team at the end of the season".

after taking a look at the 1984 season, i'm starting to think the Mormon church bought off a bunch of voters. there is no logical reason for BYU to be ranked #1...
good point. The win over Pitt seemed huge at the time . Pitt had come off a string of great seasons. That year the bottom fell out and Pitt was no longer Pitt

I LOVE THE HERD.......But I think the teams ranked ahead of Marshall, especially, Boise, Utah, & TCU earned their rankings with their resumes of victories. I hate it that teams like Marshall do not have a National Playoff Tournament. The HERD (in my lifetime) will never receive the recognition to play in todays Final Four. Playoff Football in Huntington (as ex Delaware Coach, Tubby Raymond referred to as.....The Marshall Invitational) WAS ELECTRIC. The excitement leading up to Saturday was more than one could wish for.

I predict Huntington will never see the likes of 1-AA Playoff again.....at Best.....maybe a CottonBowl Birth sometime in the distant future....."Marshall is on the clock."

HerdZilla22 (Sweeney in Charlotte)

Last edited:
We didn't get to prove ourselves like Boise or TCU or Utah when they were G5, those teams get the node ahead of us in my book due to playing in the BCS bowls and winning against very good competition. The best wins we had were a 6-6 Clemson team and BYU in the bowl, doesn't quite measure up to what the aforementioned programs accomplished. Could we have? maybe, but we never got to prove it.

We didn't get to prove ourselves like Boise or TCU or Utah when they were G5, those teams get the node ahead of us in my book due to playing in the BCS bowls and winning against very good competition. The best wins we had were a 6-6 Clemson team and BYU in the bowl, doesn't quite measure up to what the aforementioned programs accomplished. Could we have? maybe, but we never got to prove it.

GOOD points beefcake.....sadly it's History now and "one can never return to the past....."

HerdZilla22 (Sweeney in Charlotte)

Pitt (3-7-1)
Baylor (5-6)
Tulsa (6-5)
Hawaii (7-4)
Colorado St (3-4)
Wyoming (6-6)
Air Force (8-4)
New Mexico (4-8)
UTEP (2-9)
San Diego St (4-7-1)
Utah (6-5-1)
Utah St (1-10)

Looks the same to me

Clemson 6-6
Liberty 4-7
Bowling Green 5-6
Temple 2-9
Miami 7-4
Toledo 6-5
Buffalo 0-11
Northern Illinois 5-6
Kent State 2-9
Western Michigan 7-5
Ohio 6-5