ADVERTISEMENT

Bifurcation

bris1112

Green Buffalo
Mar 5, 2007
Assuming it's approved the new spend rules for "major" college sports makes it plain non P5 DI programs need to branch off into something.
Not sure what that is, but non P5 can't be expected to compete against a pro league.

"In the new compensation model, each school will be permitted but not required to set aside up to $21 million in revenue to share with athletes per year, though as revenues rise so could the cap.

Athletes in all sports would be eligible for payments and schools would be given the freedom to decide how that money is divvied up among sports programs. Scholarship limits by sport will be replaced by roster restrictions."

I'm imagining the salaries for soccer players @ P5 schools where programs want to compete at the highest level.
It feels like Marshall found a niche and is exploiting it, but will be snuffed out by direct payments to players.

Title IX lawyers will sue to make them pay the women the same in 5 minutes.

Union lawyers will sue because $21M is a salary cap in 10 minutes. The only reason pro sports are allowed to have a salary cap is that the unions agreed to it. The NCAA tried to cap assistant coach pay in the 90s, and got sued, and lost.

This ESPN pay the players idiocy won't work, and will kill college sports.

As to "bifurcation", no one really cares about the second division of anything. Who won last year's AAA world series? D2 basketball? I-AA football? G League? AHL Calder Cup? The race before the Kentucky Derby? The Korn Ferry tour? The Xfinity series?

Without looking it up, no one on here knows more than one of those. Most none. Because nobody cares about the second division.

"As to "bifurcation", no one really cares about the second division of anything. Who won last year's AAA world series? D2 basketball? I-AA football? G League? AHL Calder Cup? The race before the Kentucky Derby? The Korn Ferry tour? The Xfinity series?"

I kinda liked winning those one double a titles.

Reactions: Herd1972
"As to "bifurcation", no one really cares about the second division of anything. Who won last year's AAA world series? D2 basketball? I-AA football? G League? AHL Calder Cup? The race before the Kentucky Derby? The Korn Ferry tour? The Xfinity series?"

I kinda liked winning those one double a titles.
Got us to where we are, that’s why winning the conference is most important.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT