ADVERTISEMENT

Big game this Saturday:

Marine03

Platinum Buffalo
Sep 29, 2012
Connecticut
If I’m Huff, I’m dialing up Big Game Bobby Pruett for some X/O help and maybe a pre-game motivational speech from the legend himself. But that’s just me.

If I’m Huff, I’m dialing up Big Game Bobby Pruett for some X/O help and maybe a pre-game motivational speech from the legend himself. But that’s just me.

Not sure if anyone has had a bigger coached game in their careers at Marshall than Huff.

Kansas State was Pruett's signature win and MU definitely brought it to them.

But Huff beating Notre Dame at Notre Dame was probably bigger/better.

I don't doubt Huff can motivate the team, but damn I think he just doesn't do it anymore.

Not sure if anyone has had a bigger coached game in their careers at Marshall than Huff.

I don't doubt Huff can motivate the team, but damn I think he just doesn't do it anymore.
It feels like he's halfway out the door.

Reactions: The Real SamC

Clemson and BYU in 99 never happened?

Reactions: The Real SamC
Clemson and BYU in 99 never happened?
Those weren't signature wins. Yes Clemson was a P5, but they finished 6-6. If you don't consider Doc beating Maryland monumental then beating Clemson in 1999 wasn't either. On par with beating VT last year.

BYU was an awesome game and a quality win there was nothing especially significant about that win other than how we dominated them and capped off and undefeated season.

Beating #6 KState and #8 ND are much bigger and taking down #3 Ohio State in the Shoe would be this biggest win ever.

Well we know what Bobby Pruett said about Ohio State in 2004...

Those weren't signature wins. Yes Clemson was a P5, but they finished 6-6. If you don't consider Doc beating Maryland monumental then beating Clemson in 1999 wasn't either. On par with beating VT last year.

BYU was an awesome game and a quality win there was nothing especially significant about that win other than how we dominated them and capped off and undefeated season.

Beating #6 KState and #8 ND are much bigger and taking down #3 Ohio State in the Shoe would be this biggest win ever.
Maryland was an average team and program at best. Thankfully we had Cato and Gator.
Great bowl win though.

But beating Clemson and BYU helped get us to that #10 ranking.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
This has been correctly put into context numerous times on here.

3 of those 6 losses were to the 3 teams that went undefeated in the regular season that year, being Marshall, FSU and Virginia Tech.

But beating Clemson and BYU helped get us to that #10 ranking.
I never said they didn't or that it wasn't a big win. Just as time has passed and we've achieved more landmarks along the way that game has moved down the rankings of program accomplishments.

When comparing games in a vacuum beating #3 Ohio State would be the biggest win even toping beating #8 Notre Dame which took over beating #6 KState because they were Notre Dame.

At the time, for us as a program, beating Clemson in Clemson was a huge deal just as beating South Carolina was the season prior because it was proving we belonged back on the FBS level.

Still going on the road and beating the #3 team that's an odds on favorite to play for the National Title would be seismic level event in college football.

However it's irrelevant because it most likely will not happen. I love The Herd, but we just do not have an offense capable of hanging with Ohio State. Our defense would have to channel 1999 BYU and 2003 KState and combine them.

Clemson wasn’t your standard 6-6 team. In addition to playing 13-0 Marshall, they played 13-0 National champ FSU (lost by same score) and played 12-1 VT that lost to FSU in the championship. They had a tough schedule and almost beat the only two undefeated teams in the country.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Clemson wasn’t your standard 6-6 team. In addition to playing 13-0 Marshall, they played 13-0 National champ FSU (lost by same score) and played 12-1 VT that lost to FSU in the championship. They had a tough schedule and almost beat the only two undefeated teams in the country.
This has been correctly put into context numerous times on here.

3 of those 6 losses were to the 3 teams that went undefeated in the regular season that year, being Marshall, FSU and Virginia Tech.

Let's not act like they were even a top 20 team if you eliminated those three losses.

Even at 6-3, their best win was a 7-5 Virginia team. They beat an 0-11 South Carolina (by the second lowest margin SC had all season), a 3-8 Duke, a 3-8 North Carolina, a 5-6 Maryland (who went 2-6 in the ACC), a 7-5 (3-5 in the ACC) Wake Forest, and a 7-5 Virginia.

Out of six wins, four of them were pretty bad teams. There was a ton of parity in the ACC that season, and Clemson was an average ACC team.

Reactions: ohio herd
Clemson played the eventual NC to a 3 pt game just like they did us. We should have been in the top 5 that yr imo.
3 of Clemson losses were to the three regular season undefeated teams. FSU MU and VT. And you are correct Clemson lost to undefeated national champs fsu by the exact same score on the same field as they lost to MU

Clemson played the eventual NC to a 3 pt game just like they did us. We should have been in the top 5 that yr imo.

So?

You act like teams can't have close games against other good teams.

Just because Clemson was on fire or their opponent was just sucking, does t make MU's win any better.
Clemson was pretty average at best that season.

Bob Pruett gave us more big wins than Huff and Doc combined with more accomplishments than our past 3 HC’s altogether. Like I said, if I’m Huff I’d call him up for some advice and a pre game speech

Bob Pruett gave us more big wins than Huff and Doc combined with more accomplishments than our past 3 HC’s altogether. Like I said, if I’m Huff I’d call him up for some advice and a pre game speech
absolutely true. he's also the only coach in the last 40-50 years to leave the program in worse shape than he found it.

Reactions: Herdguy04

"...alright, here is how you properly bail on your program before the NCAA hammers them..."
-BP

When I think of a big game, I envision two equally matched teams fighting it out for a victory. This is not a big game.

absolutely true. he's also the only coach in the last 40-50 years to leave the program in worse shape than he found it.
Sure. 6-6 with 3 point loss to Ohio State, 10 point loss to UGA, 6-2 in the conference and left enough talent to have KSU beat at home had Mark Snyder not been the worst game day coach here maybe ever. The cupboard was not that bare.

Miracles do happen! Listening to the players gives me hope they are working on a gameplan we will be satisfied win or lose. Goes to show they might just be ready to take it to the Buckeyes. Go Herd!

While I agree BP was the GOAT at Marshall, both Doc and Huff have brought us big wins over P4 schools as well . Doc had victories over Purdue, Maryland and Louisville. He also had a close loss to WVU (since you are counting losses now). Huff has the win over Notre Dame and Va Tech so I don't agree with that part of your statement since it is incorrect. BP signature win was Kansas State and a road win over Clemson. I really don't think the win over a 1-10 South Carolina was all that although it was bit in 1998.

Sure. 6-6 with 3 point loss to Ohio State, 10 point loss to UGA, 6-2 in the conference and left enough talent to have KSU beat at home had Mark Snyder not been the worst game day coach here maybe ever. The cupboard was not that bare.
Bare enough for great coach to go 6-6 in 2004.

The door, is it a fancy door that can easily be opened and closed and is it properly painted and updated?

How does the door compare to Virginia Tech's door?
Are you on the maintenance staff at Marshall? I've never seen someone take an obvious critique so personally. It's like I insulted your child.

While I agree BP was the GOAT at Marshall, both Doc and Huff have brought us big wins over P4 schools as well . Doc had victories over Purdue, Maryland and Louisville. He also had a close loss to WVU (since you are counting losses now). Huff has the win over Notre Dame and Va Tech so I don't agree with that part of your statement since it is incorrect. BP signature win was Kansas State and a road win over Clemson. I really don't think the win over a 1-10 South Carolina was all that although it was bit in 1998.

They all have their place, I think Huff has really hurt his legacy with some of the things he has said. To me BP was the GOAT but again, College football at that time was perfect for us. So many things broke our way. I don't think we can ever recapture that.

Reactions: ohio herd
Are you on the maintenance staff at Marshall? I've never seen someone take an obvious critique so personally. It's like I insulted your child.

Given your ever increasing complaints of the bleachers, bathrooms, and field goal posts...shouldn't you be the maintenance guy?

• Haha
Reactions: 19MU88
Given your ever increasing complaints of the bleachers, bathrooms, and field goal posts...shouldn't you be the maintenance guy?
Ever increasing? I mentioned those years ago (they were never addressed). You keep bringing them up and acting like I’m still constantly complaining about them.

I will shut up, it clearly hurt your feelings. Things are awesome. Nothing should change. Ever.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT