ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING NEWS: Archbishop of San Francisco BANS 'devout Catholic' Nancy Pelosi from receiving communion because of her vote to codify Roe v. Wade

The Taliban? Seriously that hyperbole is so silly
I mean we only have like 5000 years of history of religion subjugating people.

And we can't say, "Well Islam might do some fvcked up shit, but Christians are cool!" That's discrimination, and the government picking a religion. You've got the 1st and the 14th violated now.
Btw, there have been tons of studies done that show pilking kids is no more prevelant in organized religion than it is other non-profits like the Boy Scouts or schools.
I never said there was. But large organized religions sure cover it up, just like secular instructions. So much for all that talk about God and morality....nope, gotta protect the money!

Individual churches can be no better. Here's what we are talking about today in the Hoosier State, grooming kids and covering it up, then having the audacity to call it adultery. Then more people get up there to pray for the preacher than gather with the victim. What would you do, Keeper? I hope you'd be with me, telling the victim and her husband you stand with them....and giving some thought to smacking the preacher upside the head. Which is what I know you would do...I'm not saying all Christians and preachers are rotten, just that organizations often are, there's power and money and greed involved.

https://orangebeanindiana.com/2022/...a-church-admits-to-adultery-with-16-year-old/

You make a statement about using taxation in a punitive manner
Not punitive. It's recognizing what The Church really is: a business. Same as that Xenu one, which should also be taxed. The SBC? A business, more worried about money than anything else.

They had a problem with state religion,
"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government." On Calvin: "His religion was demonish." "The serious enemies are the priests of the different religious sects." " The Christian priesthood, finding the doctrines of Christ levelled to every understanding and too plain to need explanation, saw, in the mysticisms of Plato, Materials with which they might build up an artificial system which might, from its indistinctness, admit everlasting controversy, give employment for their order, and introduce it to profit, power, and preeminence. The doctrines which flowed from the lips of Jesus himself are within the comprehension of a child; but thousands of volumes have not yet explained the Platonisms engrafted on them: and for this obvious reason that nonsense can never be explained."

Thomas Jefferson.

I can do this with others too....

"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government." On Calvin: "His religion was demonish." "The serious enemies are the priests of the different religious sects." " The Christian priesthood, finding the doctrines of Christ levelled to every understanding and too plain to need explanation, saw, in the mysticisms of Plato, Materials with which they might build up an artificial system which might, from its indistinctness, admit everlasting controversy, give employment for their order, and introduce it to profit, power, and preeminence. The doctrines which flowed from the lips of Jesus himself are within the comprehension of a child; but thousands of volumes have not yet explained the Platonisms engrafted on them: and for this obvious reason that nonsense can never be explained."

Thomas Jefferson.

I can do this with others too....

I can too...

Let's start first with George Washington...

1. “The Man must be bad indeed who can look upon the events of the American Revolution without feeling the warmest gratitude towards the great Author of the Universe whose divine interposition was so frequently manifested in our behalf.”

—Washington’s letter to Samuel Langdon, September 28, 1789

2. “May the same wonder-working Deity, who long since delivering the Hebrews from their Egyptian Oppressors planted them in the promised land—whose Providential Agency has lately been conspicuous in establishing these United States as an independent Nation—still continue to water them with the dews of Heaven and to make the inhabitants of every denomination participate in the temporal and spiritual blessings of that people whose God is Jehovah.”

—Letter to the Hebrew congregation of Savannah, Georgia

3. “Glorious indeed has been our Contest: glorious, if we consider the Prize for which we have contended, and glorious in its Issue; but in the midst of our Joys, I hope we shall not forget that, to divine Providence is to be ascribed the Glory and the Praise.”

—Letter to Reverend John Rodgers, June 11, 1783

4. I flatter myself that a superintending Providence is ordering everything for the best, and that, in due time, all will end well.”

—Letter to Landon Carter regarding American patriot’s prisoners in the North, October 27, 1777

5. “It is not a little pleasing, nor less wonderful to contemplate, that after two years Manoeuvring and undergoing the strangest vicissitudes that perhaps ever attended any one contest since the creation both Armies are brought back to the very point they set out from and, that that, which was the offending party in the beginning is now reduced to the use of the spade and pick axe for defense. The hand of Providence has been so conspicuous in all this, that he must be worse than an infidel that lacks faith, and more than wicked, that has not gratitude enough to acknowledge his obligations, but, it will be time enough for me to turn preacher, when my present appointment ceases; and therefore, I shall add no more on the Doctrine of Providence…”

—Private letter to Brigadier General Thomas Nelson, August 20, 1778

7. “And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech him to pardon our national and other transgressions, to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly…”

—Washington’s Thanksgiving Proclamation, October 3, 1789

8. “I now make it my earnest prayer, that God would…most graciously be pleas’d to dispose us all to do Justice, to love mercy and to demean ourselves, with that Charity, humility & pacific temper of mind, which were the Characteristicks of the Divine Author of our blessed Religion & without an humble imitation of whose example in these things, we can never hope to be a happy Nation.”

—Washington’s Circular Letter to the States, June 8, 1783

9. “Whereas it becomes us humbly to approach the throne of Almighty God, with gratitude and praise for the wonders which his goodness has wrought in conducting our fore-fathers to this western world…and above all, that he hath diffused the glorious light of the gospel, whereby, through the merits of our gracious Redeemer, we may become the heirs of his eternal glory.”

—Washington’s General Orders, November 27, 1779

10. “While I reiterate the professions of my dependence upon Heaven as the source of all public and private blessings; I will observe that the general prevalence of piety, philanthropy, honesty, industry, and economy seems, in the ordinary course of human affairs particularly necessary for advancing and conforming the happiness of our country.”

—Answering a letter from the General Assembly of Presbyterian Churches in the United States, May 1789

Raoul, you're understanding of "Religion" is straight out of Freshman English.

You folks who want to tax churches understand that it will close 96% of them right?

What kind of money do you think these places have? Vast majority of them run deficits and rely on endowments to stay open. To take down Jeffress or Osteen means shuttering all your local small town 1st Baptist/1st Methodist Church.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
Raoul, you're understanding of "Religion" is straight out of Freshman English.

You folks who want to tax churches understand that it will close 96% of them right?

What kind of money do you think these places have? Vast majority of them run deficits and rely on endowments to stay open. To take down Jeffress or Osteen means shuttering all your local small town 1st Baptist/1st Methodist Church.

Music to my ears.

I kid, I kid.

I think you could craft something that takes out the Osteens (or at least makes them pay taxes on the business they’re running) without shutting down small churches. Or even large churches, provided they aren’t using the church to fund a lavish lifestyle for the owners/pastor, with multimillion dollar houses, private jets, etc.

The problem wouldn’t be differentiating between 1st Methodist and Osteen, it would be differentiating between Osteen and the Catholic Church. Mainly because there’s not a difference, but you’re never going to tax the Catholics.

Being exempt is a privilege. Losing a privilege because you no longer qualify is not a punitive tax.

Typical liberal. Gets everything backwards.

I am privileged to be an American. I am also privileged to be in an upper income bracket. For those two privileges I pay taxes.

Because I am an American, I also have rights that liberals like you are constantly trying to take away. These include the right to worship God with freedom of expression and speech (1st Amendment) and the right to bear arms (2nd Amendment) to name but two.

Working in reverse order liberals want me to pay a tax to own a firearm. Is this a punitive tax?

Even more troubling is your, and your fellow liberal Raoul, assertion that the freedoms of worship, expression and speech as guaranteed by the 1st Amendment are privileges that can be taxed, punitively, because you, and him, don't agree with what is being said, expressed or preached. As for me, I know what side I stand on:

I guess since you are younger than Raoul you must be Greg and he is Dean Wormer...

Reactions: mlblack16.
But sure, let churches play by the rules of unions.

Like these??? Forced political party affiliation??? Forced political donations??? Blackballing, beatings and murders if you don't comply???

I can too...

Let's start first with George Washington...

1. “The Man must be bad indeed who can look upon the events of the American Revolution without feeling the warmest gratitude towards the great Author of the Universe whose divine interposition was so frequently manifested in our behalf.”

—Washington’s letter to Samuel Langdon, September 28, 1789

2. “May the same wonder-working Deity, who long since delivering the Hebrews from their Egyptian Oppressors planted them in the promised land—whose Providential Agency has lately been conspicuous in establishing these United States as an independent Nation—still continue to water them with the dews of Heaven and to make the inhabitants of every denomination participate in the temporal and spiritual blessings of that people whose God is Jehovah.”

—Letter to the Hebrew congregation of Savannah, Georgia

3. “Glorious indeed has been our Contest: glorious, if we consider the Prize for which we have contended, and glorious in its Issue; but in the midst of our Joys, I hope we shall not forget that, to divine Providence is to be ascribed the Glory and the Praise.”

—Letter to Reverend John Rodgers, June 11, 1783

4. I flatter myself that a superintending Providence is ordering everything for the best, and that, in due time, all will end well.”

—Letter to Landon Carter regarding American patriot’s prisoners in the North, October 27, 1777

5. “It is not a little pleasing, nor less wonderful to contemplate, that after two years Manoeuvring and undergoing the strangest vicissitudes that perhaps ever attended any one contest since the creation both Armies are brought back to the very point they set out from and, that that, which was the offending party in the beginning is now reduced to the use of the spade and pick axe for defense. The hand of Providence has been so conspicuous in all this, that he must be worse than an infidel that lacks faith, and more than wicked, that has not gratitude enough to acknowledge his obligations, but, it will be time enough for me to turn preacher, when my present appointment ceases; and therefore, I shall add no more on the Doctrine of Providence…”

—Private letter to Brigadier General Thomas Nelson, August 20, 1778

7. “And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech him to pardon our national and other transgressions, to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly…”

—Washington’s Thanksgiving Proclamation, October 3, 1789

8. “I now make it my earnest prayer, that God would…most graciously be pleas’d to dispose us all to do Justice, to love mercy and to demean ourselves, with that Charity, humility & pacific temper of mind, which were the Characteristicks of the Divine Author of our blessed Religion & without an humble imitation of whose example in these things, we can never hope to be a happy Nation.”

—Washington’s Circular Letter to the States, June 8, 1783

9. “Whereas it becomes us humbly to approach the throne of Almighty God, with gratitude and praise for the wonders which his goodness has wrought in conducting our fore-fathers to this western world…and above all, that he hath diffused the glorious light of the gospel, whereby, through the merits of our gracious Redeemer, we may become the heirs of his eternal glory.”

—Washington’s General Orders, November 27, 1779

10. “While I reiterate the professions of my dependence upon Heaven as the source of all public and private blessings; I will observe that the general prevalence of piety, philanthropy, honesty, industry, and economy seems, in the ordinary course of human affairs particularly necessary for advancing and conforming the happiness of our country.”

—Answering a letter from the General Assembly of Presbyterian Churches in the United States, May 1789
Again, faith good. I don't know why that is hard to understand. I do think it is telling Washington rarely attended church services, not to say he didn't believe but something in his Anglican upbringing made him wary of organized religion.

Washington is famously hard to pin down on his beliefs. Believed in God, but focused on religious freedom would probably sum him up best, maybe some fashionable Deism thrown in to boot. I'll give you this quote, from a letter he wrote to a Jewish congregation:

"The Citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy: a policy worthy of imitation. All possess alike liberty of conscience and immunities of citizenship It is now no more that toleration is spoken of, as if it was by the indulgence of one class of people, that another enjoyed the exercise of their inherent natural rights. For happily the Government of the United States, which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance requires only that they who live under its protection should demean themselves as good citizens, in giving it on all occasions their effectual support."

https://founders.archives.gov/documents/Washington/05-06-02-0135

To take down Jeffress or Osteen
I don't think taxing churches that engage in politics would take down Osteen. He famously doesn't preach on politics. Probably so he can fleece both sides. He's rotten.
I would not supporting taxing churches just because they are churches.
Do you think the teachers' union and other unions should be taxed?
If they want to get into politics instead of just negotiating contracts, yes. Which they do, so yes. I'd cut down on a lot of lobbying bullshit from every angle. Not only is it toxic to our politics, people are getting rich off of it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT